• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BumRush

I'm trying so hard to gain weight and it's seems impossible unless I give up on everything in life and live to eat.

Height / Weight? What are your goals? If you don't mind putting on a little fat while you bulk, we can get you going really quickly. If you do mind, it'll be a long process.

I'd generally advise more healthy fats. Because fat is 9kcal / g you'd be surprised at how little you need to eat before it all mounts up. You can make some insanely calorie heavy smoothies if you try (almonds and olive / coconut oil help massively).

Oh, and if you want calories, stop eating chicken breasts. At least switch to thighs (which taste better anyway).

I'm a bit confused that you'd need 6/7 giant meals though, unless you're eating something like 6k calories a day.... and if you need that to bulk, you'd already be a beast.

D

Deleted member 529084

Unconfirmed Member
Height / Weight? What are your goals? If you don't mind putting on a little fat while you bulk, we can get you going really quickly. If you do mind, it'll be a long process.

6ft-6'1"
Ate breakfast, took a dump and standing naked in my bathroom right now I'm 135.6lbs

I've seen my weight fluctuate over the last 2 weeks from 135 to 140..

Been going to the gym for a little over a month twice a week and the only improvement I see and people tell me they see is my biceps have grown and become defined.

SeanR1221

I'm trying so hard to gain weight and it's seems impossible unless I give up on everything in life and live to eat.

I can go a whole day and have my 3 meals with snacks in between but eating 6 to 7 giant meals, which I did for a week, consumed my life. It's like I sat at home waiting for a timer to go off to tell me to eat.
Then feeling nauseous for stuffing myself and being hardly able to move.

Worse part is I can't cook, like I terribld at it. Tried to cook some chicken breast for the week...tasted like SHIT.

I don't know what to do...

Post your current calories/macros.

andycapps

6ft-6'1"
Ate breakfast, took a dump and standing naked in my bathroom right now I'm 135.6lbs

Been going to the gym for a little over a month twice a week and the only improvement I see and people tell me they see is my biceps have grown and become defined.

You need to start tracking your calories, you're probably not eating as much as you think you are. 135 at 6'1" is nuts.

6ft-6'1"

yeaaaaaaah

How many calories are you consuming a day? Have you tracked them every day for a week? I mean if you only weigh 135-140, there is a ton of room to grow. Also don't get frustrated as you only been to the gym for a month. You are an infant in this lifting world. Any improvement is huge. This is a long term game. Stick with it.

D

Deleted member 529084

Unconfirmed Member
yeaaaaaaah

How many calories are you consuming a day? Have you tracked them every day for a week? I mean if you only weigh 135-140, there is a ton of room to grow. Also don't get frustrated as you only been to the gym for a month. You are an infant in this lifting world. Any improvement is huge. This is a long term game. Stick with it.

Really not sure how many calories I'm consuming, I just eat and try to add a shake in the mix a couple times a day.

But "life happens" and days like yesterday happen..
Got shit faced Sat. night so me and my GF woke up around 11am. Had a slice of pizza around 1pm then around 5pm had half rack of ribs, mashed potatoes, broccoli then chocolate lava cake...and around 5 Guiness.

Today I've been up since 8 (it's 10am now) and I had enough time just to swing by Dunkin Donuts and grab a bacon/egg/cheese bagel and a coffee around 9am.

andycapps

Really not sure how many calories I'm consuming, I just eat and try to add a shake in the mix a couple times a day.

Got shit faced Sat. night so me and my GF woke up around 11am. Had a slice of pizza around 1pm then around 5pm had half rack of ribs, mashed potatoes, broccoli then chocolate lava cake...and around 5 Guiness.

Today I've been up since 8 (it's 10am now) and I had enough time just to swing by Dunkin Donuts and grab a bacon/egg/cheese bagel and a coffee around 9am.

Okay, so going by their nutrition info online, that sandwich is 480 calories, 23g protein, 67 g carbs, 11 g fat. Not sure if your coffee was black or not, if black I wouldn't even count it.

Your day with a bunch of Guiness and half rack of ribs, etc.. Yeah that's going to be a decent amount of calories, fat, carbs, protein.

For you dudes that lift in the morning, how the hell do you have energy? Every time I try to lift before work it always ends up in failure Is there some secret or am I only allowed to lift in the PM?

Go to sleep earlier, but even that may not help.

For me it just simply fits my schedule, so It's basic added pressure (motivation) for me to get my ass up and out of bed to lift, because I may not have time later in the evening. I also consider the benefits like empty gym, evenings to relax, and added energy throughout the day.

I don't use pre-workout in the AM, I simply have that after-sleep energy. I may need a tea or coffee later in the day, but even that's rare.

I'm also on IG (@TeamTeamJones & @Battle_District #ShamelessPlug) and I wake-up in the AM and scroll through my timeline of mostly fitness enthusiast in great condition grinding it out and I know that's where I want to be, so I get my ass up and go hit the gym. Motivation!

I've always been fine lifting in the morning. Cardio is another story though. Fuck intervals and the like in the morning. Just breaks me.

prolly the best arm pic I have ever taken, the angle makes it a lot bigger than it really is

3ioeITO.jpg

You really should keep track, will help make things a lot easier to figure out what to do next. And yeah, life shit does happen. You have to enjoy life but try to balance out both sides as well. First things first, log what you consume for a week. I mean really keep track of it every day using myfitnesspal. Then we can go from there.

Finally got a video of me squatting this morning for the first time in awhile. On rep #6 of 365 (my current 95%) I start to have a little butt wink. So damn frustrating. I thought I had that thing beat.

UrAvgGuy

prolly the best arm pic I have ever taken, the angle makes it a lot bigger than it really is

FE looking good bruh, I say gd.

You should really be tracking calories and you can go from there. It's really eye opening for most. Oh and days like that are inevitable so they're bound to happen. This past weekend I basically ate whatever and had a few drinks but I'm not trippin, back to the usual now.

You really should keep track, will help make things a lot easier to figure out what to do next. And yeah, life shit does happen. You have to enjoy life but try to balance out both sides as well. First things first, log what you consume for a week. I mean really keep track of it every day using myfitnesspal. Then we can go from there.

FE which way to the gun show?

D

Deleted member 529084

Unconfirmed Member
Ok.

Downloaded the Myfitness app. Using it now to try to count calories.

I want 15lbs (150lbs) at 1lb per week.

Telling me to ingest like 2200 calories a day.

Like I said, I go to the gym twice a week and have a trainer. Of course he can't follow me all day and feed me but I'm a complete novice in the gym so I paid the guy to work with me twice a week till Dec.

At home I have a bench, not the kind with a rack but just the kind I can lay on or adjust to sit up on and use dumb bells with.
I only have 10lb and 15lbs cause that's a comfortable weight for my scrawny ass. Honestly I had a trainer who was a woman, a fitness model, who had my use them. My new trainer (who I started with today) had me using 20-30lb and basically going to failure, he's power lifter.
Not sure which method I should be using.
I also have a "Power Tower" at home for pull-ups, dips etc..
And I have some color coded board a buddy gave me with handles you insert for push-ups.

Not sure what kind of regiment I should add to do at home along with my 2 days with my trainer. He's having me do upper Body Monday, Lower Wed. I'm still to lost in the gym to go alone those off days but would like to use the stuff I have at home...but I find myself wondering what to do with the stuff.

He also suggested I drink a gallon of milk a day...not happening. But I did grab a half-gallon of Chocolate Milk..I can do that pretty easy I think. They all say "Low Fat" on them tho, can't I find and don't I want non-low fat?

And I can't cook..seriously, no time or ability. Eating at diners or restaurants is my go too. Also hoagie shops. My go to meal at least every day is a Ham/Cheese/Mayo on white at my local shop and a Chocolate Milk.

andycapps

Ok.

Like I said, I go to the gym twice a week and have a trainer. Of course he can't follow me all day and feed me but I'm a complete novice in the gym so I paid the guy to work with me twice a week till Dec.

At home I have a bench, not the kind with a rack but just the kind I can lay on or adjust to sit up on and use dumb bells with.
I only have 10lb and 15lbs cause that's a comfortable weight for my scrawny ass. Honestly I had a trainer who was a woman, a fitness model, who had my use them. My new trainer (who I started with today) had me using 20-30lb and basically going to failure, he's power lifter.
And I have some color coded board a buddy gave me with handles you insert for push-ups.

Not sure what kind of regiment I should add to do at home along with my 2 days with my trainer. He's having me do upper Body Monday, Lower Wed. I'm still to lost in the gym to go alone those off days but would like to use the stuff I have at home...but I find myself wondering what to do with the stuff.

He also suggested I drink a gallon of milk a day...not happening. But I did grab a half-gallon of Chocolate Milk..I can do that pretty easy I think. They all say "Low Fat" on them tho, can't I find and don't I want non-low fat?

And I can't cook..seriously, no time or ability. Eating at diners or restaurants is my go too. Also hoagie shops. My go to meal at least every day is a Ham/Cheese/Mayo on white at my local shop and a Chocolate Milk.

Why can't you drink a gallon of milk per day? You don't really need to know how to cook much, and it doesn't have to take long to prepare. If you're serious about making changes in your life, it's going to take a little effort. It's not super hard, but eating out all the time is going to impact your goals, eventually.

Your fitness plan sounds really haphazard. I suggest one of the ones in the OP.

D

Deleted member 529084

Unconfirmed Member
Why can't you drink a gallon of milk per day? You don't really need to know how to cook much, and it doesn't have to take long to prepare. If you're serious about making changes in your life, it's going to take a little effort. It's not super hard, but eating out all the time is going to impact your goals, eventually.

Your fitness plan sounds really haphazard. I suggest one of the ones in the OP.

Im gonna try the gallon..I just kind want to progress into it lol Start wit half gallon and up it over the next few days.

When I say "eat out" I don't mean fast food. I mean I go to alot of diners or restaurants. I have ribs ALOT, burgers, chicken etc..

I'm a widower..my wife was the cook and even my kid is scared of my cooking.
We pretty much order or eat out everyday..I can't even get him to try my cooking anymore.
Plus I'm a soccer dad and I spend 3 nights a week driving over an hour to training locations then an hour plus back..then weekends up and down the east coast for matches. It's like "get in the car, grab cheesesteak/hoagie/etc.. drive and eat"

It can be done eating out, but obviously a lot of what you eat wont have any sort of nutritional info, so you're pretty much stuck working with something that's close to it (sheer guesswork) or trying to work out what's in it (almost entirely inaccurate).

The bigger the chain the more likely you are to find the info. Over time you'll be able to tell roughly what fits your macros just by looking at it though... but even after you've been doing it years you can never be accurate that way. I'd say I can get to within 20%, but without the actual ingredients on something you really have no idea how much oil / sugar / whatever is in it.

BumRush

Ok.

Strongly suggest changing your routine to one of the ones in the OP (SS, 531, etc.). 10s and 15s (and even 20s and 30s) aren't going to do anything for you. Get a bar in your hands and work your way up to adding weights, then more weights, etc.

Navid

Hello, as someone completely new to this thread I have a question for you all which I'm sure you have heard before, is a good overal fitness program that can be carried out without any equipment that will train all the core regions of the body?

Also if possible, I'm not just looking to build muscle but generally improve my cardiovascular system and hopefully lose some stomach fat in the process... thanks for any help.

I launch BATTLE DISTRICT last weekend, and I'm sharing that with you all because a couple people asked about what has been keeping me from posting much in FitnessGAF and Battle District has been why. I've started a small business geared toward people who have an active lifestyle and want nice looking athletic wear to go alone with it.

q5VNQGDl.jpg
zWJfUvDl.jpg

NAW3Epil.jpg
SmvP8XCl.jpg

XyZJQb8l.jpg
k4OGc7Cl.jpg

Feel free to ask me any questions about Battle District or Fitness in general. I should be around more now.

Hello, as someone completely new to this thread I have a question for you all which I'm sure you have heard before, is a good overal fitness program that can be carried out without any equipment that will train all the core regions of the body?

Also if possible, I'm not just looking to build muscle but generally improve my cardiovascular system and hopefully lose some stomach fat in the process... thanks for any help.

A. Improve my cardiovascular system
B. Carried out without any equipment that will train all the core regions
C. Lose some stomach fat

I definitely recommend: High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) at a track.
Look into someone conducting outdoor "Bootcamp" type classes or HIIT YouTube Videos

The intensity is completely self gauged, some of those video are very intense. Don't get discouraged, do them at your pace. Again, I recommend finding a personal trainer for assistance with HIIT if it's your first time.

BumRush

I launch BATTLE DISTRICT last weekend, and I'm sharing that with you all because a couple people asked about what has been keeping me from posting much in FitnessGAF and Battle District has been why. I've started a small business geared toward people who have an active lifestyle and want nice looking athletic wear to go alone with it.

q5VNQGDl.jpg
zWJfUvDl.jpg

NAW3Epil.jpg
SmvP8XCl.jpg

XyZJQb8l.jpg
k4OGc7Cl.jpg

Feel free to ask me any questions about Battle District or Fitness in general. I should be around more now.

Lookin' great Jones. How does the Battle Captain tank fit? What size are you wearing in that pic?

ILoveBish

Awake 22 hours, hit the gym and after I stretched, I woke right up. Felt really strong and hit squats, hit every rep. 5x265, 3x300, 1x335 and ended with 10x230. Went up in weights on accessories and hit every rep there also. It's almost 24 hours now and I feel wide awake after the gym. Damn I love lifting so much.

Having some coconut cake and coffee now to reset eating timing back to normal once a day hours. Ready to get back on the grind.

And team Jones, you look amazing man.

Y'all, I'm never, ever going to understand all the people who go to the gym to spend half their time on cardio machines.

Like, just ride your bike or run to the gym. Unless you're living in the most hellish of suburban scenarios, it's possible. You just have to have the same mental fortitude to make yourself do it that you put toward going to the gym in the first place. Then you never have to deal with boring cardio ever again.

Lookin' great Jones. How does the Battle Captain tank fit? What size are you wearing in that pic?

The tanks are standard sizing: Medium is 40.2 Chest and Large 44.2 Chest.
I'm wearing a medium in the pictures, but I like the drape of the large more.

...and Thanks for all the love FitnessGAF!

BumRush

Y'all, I'm never, ever going to understand all the people who go to the gym to spend half their time on cardio machines.

Like, just ride your bike or run to the gym. Unless you're living in the most hellish of suburban scenarios, it's possible. You just have to have the same mental fortitude to make yourself do it that you put toward going to the gym in the first place. Then you never have to deal with boring cardio ever again.

What happens when you go to a gym 10 miles from your house? And it's snowing?

The tanks are standard sizing: Medium is 40.2 Chest and Large 44.2 Chest.
I'm wearing a medium in the pictures, but I like the drape of the large more.

...and Thanks for all the love FitnessGAF!

Excellent, will pick up a medium!! Good luck bud.

What happens when you go to a gym 10 miles from your house? And it's snowing?
Sounds like suburban hell. Sorry. :( I made sure I live somewhere within 5 miles of anything I want. That shit is super important to me.

I'm not going to believe that half the people in my gym are dealing with a situation like yours, though. It's absurd how many people are there just fucking speed walking in place for an hour. I think there's a weird thing in America where a majority of people now don't even consider the possibility of getting themselves anywhere out in the world without getting there in their car.

I can go a whole day and have my 3 meals with snacks in between but eating 6 to 7 giant meals, which I did for a week, consumed my life. It's like I sat at home waiting for a timer to go off to tell me to eat.
Then feeling nauseous for stuffing myself and being hardly able to move.

Worse part is I can't cook, like I terribld at it. Tried to cook some chicken breast for the week...tasted like SHIT.

I don't know what to do...
A blender of some sorts. Just fill that shit with whole milk, avocados, fruit, vegetables, protein powder, etc.

I don't think I could ever bulk without my NutriBullet. It's what you're saying: just way too much eating and meal prep. Now I just blend it all into a liquid.

I don't get it. Are you upset for them or are they complaining to you about it? Some people actually do enjoy zoning out on a machine rather than being outdoors. Others just do it for convenience sake, which is usually my case as I do my cardio after lifting. If they hate doing cardio, then yeah they should find something more fun.

I do enjoy a good bike ride or walk when I can though, but I also enjoy cardio on a stationary bike/treadmill while playing Hearthstone too.

3phemeral

Question for those of you who use rest weeks:

Today I start my "rest" week but I'm not sure how I should go about doing this. I was thinking of using this as a good opportunity to use my normal gym time to focus on HIIT while consuming maintenance calories; thought that it would be a good way to lower BF% while also not being entirely lazy and out of routine. Is that perfectly fine or should I actually just do maintenance cals and actually rest (no gym)?

I don't get it. Are you upset for them or are they complaining to you about it? Some people actually do enjoy zoning out on a machine rather than being outdoors. Others just do it for convenience sake, which is usually my case as I do my cardio after lifting. If they hate doing cardio, then yeah they should find something more fun.

I do enjoy a good bike ride or walk when I can though, but I also enjoy cardio on a stationary bike/treadmill while playing Hearthstone too.
I enjoy it! More squat rack for me. I guess it's me not understanding because cardio is dreadfully boring when it's done in place like that, so I imagine most of them are bored, too.

SeanR1221

Today I start my "rest" week but I'm not sure how I should go about doing this. I was thinking of using this as a good opportunity to use my normal gym time to focus on HIIT while consuming maintenance calories; thought that it would be a good way to lower BF% while also not being entirely lazy and out of routine. Is that perfectly fine or should I actually just do maintenance cals and actually rest (no gym)?

A true rest would be eating like you're lifting combined with just relaxing.

You are doing a rest week and not a deload week, correct?

I guess it's me not understanding because cardio is dreadfully boring when it's done in place like that, so I imagine most of them are bored, too.

Just as a counter point, a lot of the training I need to do either relies on very precise power outputs / cadences (impossible to do on the road as you run into traffic conditions / road lengths / hills / stop signs) or is so explosive / exhausting that I'd never risk doing it outdoors anyway (true Tabata intervals would wreck you so much that you'd probably end up under the wheels of a truck).

I'm guessing 99% of those gym goers aren't doing anything like that though. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom