• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I have never fasted over 24 hours and now that I think about it I don't think I've ever gone over 22 hours. As much as I love IF and the lifestyle and results it provides, I'm always cautious to recommend it to anyone. If they inquire and are genuinely interested I will help them but otherwise I think it works so well for me because of my schedule and how I'm put together. I also feel it helps me bounce back quicker from cheat nights but I have no proof of that. Like anything in life, try everything and find what works best for you.

EDIT: Back to 179.4 today which is what I weighed Sunday before the 2 cheat nights between now and then. I don't understand this sorcery but I'll roll with it.

iddqd

I followed the advice in this video and I saw a huge improvement today with my deadlifts. I hit a PR but I also felt far more comfortable in my back and like I was engaging my legs more. In general everything just felt 'easier'. Pretty happy with my Deadlift at the moment.

Making progress on all my lifts, just need to keep working on that bench.

Awesome, glad it helped!

JoeNut

Yeah, but, like what? Are you doing the big lifts? What sort of programming are you using?
Generally using machines because the freeweights are way too busy, I'll do chest press which are incline, regular, flys and the inner fly ones (don't know what they're called) usually 10,8,5,5 but weights depend on machine I suppose. Then triceps I do dips 3 sets to failure, and the tricep machine 3 x 10 at 35 kgs
Shoulders again on the machines same type of sets, then wide pull ups 3 x to failure, row 3 x 8
Bicep curls, pull ups 3 x to failure, crunches, hanging leg raises, plank, all to failure.
Squats 3 x 10, all the leg machines 3 x 10

Cooter

I hate to admit it but I think the rest day I was forced to take Thursday helped my chest day today. Ended up getting 300x2x3 and 300x4 on flat BB bench and 120sx2x3 and 120sx5 on incline DB press. Usually on my last set of 3 on DB incline I'm beat but today I somehow managed five. Hmmm

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
EliteFTS is having a weekend sale. 15% off everything with code Liftmore!1

I got a couple more shirts, including this one in black

http://www.elitefts.com/shop/apparel/death-lift-ap-tee.html

I've spent enough there for now. Plus I just upgraded my router which increased my download speed literally x3. Didn't know my old one was that obsolete. Lol.

I hate to admit it but I think the rest day I was forced to take Thursday helped my chest day today. Ended up getting 300x2x3 and 300x4 on flat BB bench and 120sx2x3 and 120sx5 on incline DB press. Usually on my last set of 3 on DB incline I'm beat but today I somehow managed five. Hmmm

They typically do!

On that note, I think I'm gonna change my training outline to condition on wed/Friday instead of being off those days and trying to pack prowler work at the end of my training days. Then I'll only really be off Sunday.

SeanR1221

I've spent enough there for now. Plus I just upgraded my router which increased my download speed literally x3. Didn't know my old one was that obsolete. Lol.

They typically do!

On that note, I think I'm gonna change my training outline to condition on wed/Friday instead of being off those days and trying to pack prowler work at the end of my training days. Then I'll only really be off Sunday.

Nice I've been wanting to upgrade my router from the default Verizon one. What did you get?

What will you be doing for conditioning those two days?

sphinx

the piano man
I want to emphasize the importance on having a good back and a flexible body.

some weeks back I was complaining about lower back pain or discomfort during OHP. I later realized I hadn't been stretching and doing hyperextensions as much as before and the last 1 or 2 weeks I've been changing that. Today I did rather well on OHP for the first time in weeks, it felt just right, like before.

I've been learning that little or simple things like stretching or doing certain "small time" accessory moves is so damn important to do well at the bigger things like main compounds and hard stuff. I'll never underestimate them again.

and I know cardio is... cardio lol.. but it really keeps me from getting rusty. At 37 I gotta take care of that.

Chocobro

Prowler push and prowler drag.

And I got a netgear R6250

I've been meaning to ask you this. How do you program the prowler push or any sort of conditioning work? I know there are several variables to play around with, such as distance, sets, weight, and rest time. What does each side of the spectrum work more on (for example, longer vs shorter distance) or there isn't any difference in the grand scheme of things?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I've been meaning to ask you this. How do you program the prowler push or any sort of conditioning work? I know there are several variables to play around with, such as distance, sets, weight, and rest time. What does each side of the spectrum work more on (for example, longer vs shorter distance) or there isn't any difference in the grand scheme of things?

I was doing it with the associated day, now it will be its own day without interfering with the next. Pushing works hamstrings and hips, pulling while facing works quads.

First thing I read visiting the thread today with no context. Brain imploded trying to relate the two.

May as well have been "a constant 36 volts. peanut butter cups."

The context was the quoted post it answers.

ILoveBish

4 hours in the oven @ 250, here we go... Gonna top it off with some more low carb bbq sauce, but it looks good as is.

Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/JehLMQq.jpg[/img]

J. Bravo

Don't ever lose that sense of humor Brolic...
Lmao

Edit: about to have the greatest workout ever. Perfect high, just threw back a5 hour energy, perfect songs have been playing on my drive home from work, and smashed this lunchable. But what should I hit? Upper body, high volume obviously. What body parts tho.

Estellex

Is it true that adding yogurt into your protein shake is not recommended because of the bacterial content? I been doing some research, and I encounter someone writing something about protein degrading because of the bacterial content. Not sure how true that is, but can anyone chime in on this?

Anyone here do DeFranco's agile 8? Have been using it alongside stair running for a warmup and it's not bad at all. Feel like I could do with adding something for the upper body though.

Cooter

Is it true that adding yogurt into your protein shake is not recommended because of the bacterial content? I been doing some research, and I encounter someone writing something about protein degrading because of the bacterial content. Not sure how true that is, but can anyone chime in on this?
Didn't read your post but that avatar?? It's mine. Meet me at the bike rack after school.

Chocobro

Anyone here do DeFranco's agile 8? Have been using it alongside stair running for a warmup and it's not bad at all. Feel like I could do with adding something for the upper body though.

I did the Limber 11, which is the updated version of Agile 8, but then discarded exercises I didn't need. Feel free to add stuff for the upperbody. I do the usual shoulder dislocations, band pull-aparts, face pulls, band rotator cuff stretch, band internal rotations, and band close grip overhead squat. Do what you feel you need, a warm-up routine is fairly personal.

Chains worked awesome today for deadlift and finally able to to main work without straps forearm finally getting better.

500lbs x 5 (no straps finally!) and 385lbs +90lbs chains x 5.

http://youtu.be/KJqs1TMHOQk

Looks easy for you. Good shit.

Crossfit Lite TRs are 1000x better to squat and deadlift in. Most comfortable shoes I own.

I've been thinking of getting a pair of these to try out. Problem is I'm running out of my room in my gym bag because of so many damn shoes.

edit: I'm gonna start working on some pin presses for bench and box squats. Get some better accessory work in than what I'm doing right now.

Thanks for the info about chains, Brolic. Hadn't thought about that aspect of them before - pretty interesting.

On another note, I've had some great days at the gym the past week. Finally got 90lbs x 5 on bench and pulled 145 for the first time, which felt great. My overhead press is lagging a little, but with all the other #gains I've been making, I don't care lol

friends

img_1996.jpg

so legit, so good.

I struggle a lot with affording healthy food.

White rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and the like are the most affordable.

I buy red kidney beans, legumes, chick peas, onions, carrots, cucombers, tomatos and meats when i can get good offers, but I am strugglin with not making the same recipes that just gets boring.

anyone here who has some good frugal recipes that is training friendly?

despire

I don't really understand why that would be so. Most of the yogurt sold today doesn't even have that rich of a bacteria flora in them. MAYBE if you added it in and then let it sit for a week in the fridge but if you put it in and then drink it pretty quickly, I don't really see any issue. Even if the bacteria would degrade some proteins, you realize that's what your stomach and intestines do as well? It will be broken down sooner or later. Plus the yogurt adds protein to the shake as well. Just add it in if you want to.

And I also read this as a post by Cooter. How can you both have the same exact avatar? :p

I did the Limber 11, which is the updated version of Agile 8, but then discarded exercises I didn't need. Feel free to add stuff for the upperbody. I do the usual shoulder dislocations, band pull-aparts, face pulls, band rotator cuff stretch, band internal rotations, and band close grip overhead squat. Do what you feel you need, a warm-up routine is fairly personal.

Interesting, cheers. I had heard of Limber 11, but didn't know it was designed as a replacement.

ILoveBish

12k steps yesterday, 15k steps today. Getting some more cardio in on the weekends feels good. No guests to entertain so had time to go walking pier to pier. Wish I could up my walking during the normal work day, but I'm usual in the 3.5-4k range daily, which I've read is below average.

BumRush

I don't really understand why that would be so. Most of the yogurt sold today doesn't even have that rich of a bacteria flora in them. MAYBE if you added it in and then let it sit for a week in the fridge but if you put it in and then drink it pretty quickly, I don't really see any issue. Even if the bacteria would degrade some proteins, you realize that's what your stomach and intestines do as well? It will be broken down sooner or later. Plus the yogurt adds protein to the shake as well. Just add it in if you want to.

And I also read this as a post by Cooter. How can you both have the same exact avatar? :p

I understand the yogurt point the exact same way. No way it could degrade the protein in seconds.

12k steps yesterday, 15k steps today. Getting some more cardio in on the weekends feels good. No guests to entertain so had time to go walking pier to pier. Wish I could up my walking during the normal work day, but I'm usual in the 3.5-4k range daily, which I've read is below average.

Where do you live, NYC?

Mugaaz

I struggle a lot with affording healthy food.

White rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and the like are the most affordable.

I buy red kidney beans, legumes, chick peas, onions, carrots, cucombers, tomatos and meats when i can get good offers, but I am strugglin with not making the same recipes that just gets boring.

anyone here who has some good frugal recipes that is training friendly?

Chicken breast/thighs, lean cuts of pork are cheap. Frozen vegetables. Green giant brand sells them in 1-2 serving boxes for $1.40 IIRC. Doesn't get any cheaper honestly.

yes. this man speaks truth. you should try the new flavor m-100 phantom if you have a quiktrip near you. it's p good too.

The blue and red ones are good too. Also all of the tea ones.

Orange was pretty good at first then just got tired of it. Have moved on to Ultra Citron. Best tasting no calorie Monster.

I will check these out. I am a huge fan of orange anything so it hits the spot. Nothing better than orange soda and fried chicken. So fucking good.

That's not sugar free red bull ;)

I tried the red bull version. Just didn't like it. Not a huge fan of red bull in general. Something about the aftertaste. Vodka Redbull, now that is a different story lol.

BumRush

I will check these out. I am a huge fan of orange anything so it hits the spot. Nothing better than orange soda and fried chicken. So fucking good.

Stewart's orange soda and fried chicken...mmmmmm

Wife and I about to do our first joint lifting session. Wish me luck.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
My hamstrings are so sore, which I hope means I got my good mornings form down the other day. I read that I'm supposed to feel it in my back, but I think that I don't get sore there anymore.

Body doesn't want to go to the gym after drinking alcohol last night, but I think I'll go anyway.

I'm trying to lose bodyfat, so I can once and for all get to 10%

Is losing 2,5 kg a month too much? I'm 186 cm, started at 86 kg, atm 83.5. I think I'm at around 15% bf now

I'm willing to go down to 76 kg to reach the 10%. I know going below 10% is extremly hard. Should I try? would be nice to be single digit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom