• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lenovox1

But after reading and trying to get advice, I have been getting some unfortunate implications that, due to how skinny I am, I will never gain any muscle mass. This isn't true at all, is it?
No, it is not.

Frankly, am I doomed to never gain muscle mass? Because the only I ever got was one of my co-workers saying that I should never try to work out due the fact that I need to eat more protein, and that will damage my liver (?) I don't think this is true.

No. Eat more+Sleep Well+Lift Weights=Muscle Gain, particularly with beginners.

There are some animal studies that suggest protein fasting may cause damage to the liver, but there are no suggestions that protein or protein supplements are damaging to anyone with a healthily functioning liver. Your friend may have misheard or misread some information.

I'd like to know some of the other sources you've looked at, if that isn't too much trouble. Just out of curiosity. And poking holes into their rhetoric and "research" may also make you more confident about weight training or fitness in general.

despire

I'm not sure if this has been ask before, but I'll ask anyway.

I weigh around 130 pounds, super skinny with a very high metabolism. I want to finally start working out and gaining muscle, and while I know that Im not going to be Arnold, it would be nice to put on some muscle because....quite frankly, I'm REALLY skinny.

But after reading and trying to get advice, I have been getting some unfortunate implications that, due to how skinny I am, I will never gain any muscle mass. This isn't true at all, is it?

Frankly, am I doomed to never gain muscle mass? Because the only I ever got was one of my co-workers saying that I should never try to work out due the fact that I need to eat more protein, and that will damage my liver (?) I don't think this is true.

Yeah no.

What your coworkers said is the most retarded thing I've ever heard.

What you need to do:
1) Start a good lifting program
2) Make sure you eat enough food, however much that will be
3) I actually think you are in luck because as a naturally skinny, you don't really have to worry about fat gain that much

Also you don't need that much protein, just a lot of calories.

ILoveBish

Had an amazing time tonight, girl and i went for authentic pho in Westminster, then we went to the symphony which was so nice. Afterwords i just ate a bunch of deli meat, avocados, salami, cheese and pepperchinis. If i had to guess i'd be at around 1800-ish calories so far after my coffee and ice cream. I might go eat more just because i have the opportunity, we'll see. Felt really nice to go have that super carb heavy meal, and i still fit just fine into my medium shirt and medium hoodie, plenty of room even with the bloat.

JoeNut

I missed the posters name now but that guy who put 6 months progress up, amazing. Way bigger than me and I've been about 8 months.

BumRush

Looking awesome Cooter...more importantly though, you're a great dad. Fitness is super important to me but it doesn't come close to family...cool to see you feel the same.

Szu

Not sure if I've said this before, but I think if I could pick any of the physiques here to steal, it would probably be yours.

Don't know that it would work that well on the bike... but still. lol

I don't know, did you see the abs in Flash?

Awesome kids, Cooter!

My little guy is still a bit young. But I've already got next Halloween's idea in mind. He's going to be Charlie Brown and I'm dressing as Snoopy.

mdsfx

Ran 13.08 miles today in prep for the Half in two weeks. Back was still super sore from Friday which made breathing and posture difficult. Felt like crying like a baby for a minute at mile 11. That was painful.

Time to eat like a beast I guess. Starting the day at negative 1300 on a bulk makes things... interesting.

BumRush

Ran 13.08 miles today in prep for the Half in two weeks. Back was still super sore from Friday which made breathing and posture difficult. Felt like crying like a baby for a minute at mile 11. That was painful.

Time to eat like a beast I guess. Starting the day at negative 1300 on a bulk makes things... interesting.

I'm surprised you were able to do it after a week of heavy bulking to be honest. Nice work.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Damn it Cooter, why you gotta have such godlike bicep veins.

Also your picture makes me wish I was a dad just for moments like those.
Some people have the quads of Zeus and others get slightly protruding veins on their arms. Thanks bud. And yes, moments like those do make you grateful.

Not sure if I've said this before, but I think if I could pick any of the physiques here to steal, it would probably be yours.

Don't know that it would work that well on the bike... but still. lol
You haven't but thanks you. I'm over half English so we probably share some ancestors at some time on that island! ;) Your endurance feats make me winded just reading them. I'm more an explosive short bursts guy.

I think I'd go with the Batman on the right. The manly scowl, too.
I don't blame you. That guy has life figured out and he's only ten.

Looking awesome Cooter...more importantly though, you're a great dad. Fitness is super important to me but it doesn't come close to family...cool to see you feel the same.
Thanks numeral uno! Fitness is my hobby/escape. Family is how I will judge my life when I'm in my last days.

I don't know, did you see the abs in Flash?

Awesome kids, Cooter!

My little guy is still a bit young. But I've already got next Halloween's idea in mind. He's going to be Charlie Brown and I'm dressing as Snoopy.
He's obsessed with Flash. Even "changed" his name to Flash when he was 4 to the point where the caretakers in my gyms' kids club greet him with FLASH when he walks in. lol

We will need pictures of this beefed up Snoopy!

Yeeeah! That's awesome! Great pic

Thanks man!

Cooter

I had two cups of coffee when I woke up this morning, why?

Also...whats the rule with protein? How much am I supposed to be eating to cut/gain muscle etc?
Despire just wrote and article on this topic. It answers all your questions. On a low carb cut eat around 1g per bw lb and on a bulk/maintenance you only need between .6-.8 per bodyweight pound.

mdsfx

I had two cups of coffee when I woke up this morning, why?

Also...whats the rule with protein? How much am I supposed to be eating to cut/gain muscle etc?
Just wondering if you had anything to help you.

I think the more widely-accepted rule is about .8g per pound of bodyweight minimum. Some people take more. I weigh 160+ and consume at least 150g per day.

Edit: beaten.

Despire just wrote and article on this topic. It answers all your questions. On a low carb cut eat around 1g per bw lb and on a bulk/maintenance you only need between .6-.8 per bodyweight pound.

Link? Tried looking for a few pages and couldn't find anything.

BumRush

Did he post the article or just PM us? I'm not sure but I think the latter.

Despire, that was a good read...can you share with the group? We've been getting a lot of protein / bodyweight questions

Cooter

Did he post the article or just PM us? I'm not sure but I think the latter.

Despire, that was a good read...can you share with the group? We've been getting a lot of protein / bodyweight questions
I was just giving him a shout out because it was perfect for this discussion that seems to be coming up frequently like you said. It was sloppy and confusing. I don't think he posted it anywhere but he should!

Wulfric

Been making some good progress with the Full Body workout in the OP, and it seems like I've stabilized at 165 lbs. I could probably stand to lose some fat considering my height, but I'm not too worried as long as I can keep increasing my lifting weight. I can increase it a little from set to set, right? This is the stuff I'm a little unsure of from last Friday:

Squat - 3 sets of 5 (3 sets at 50, 60 and 70 lbs)
Bench Press - 3 sets of 5 (3 sets at 50, 55, and 60 lbs)
Deadlift - 1 set of 5 (60lbs)

mdsfx

Been making some good progress with the Full Body workout in the OP, and it seems like I've stabilized at 165 lbs. I could probably stand to lose some fat considering my height, but I'm not too worried as long as I can keep increasing my lifting weight. I can increase it a little from set to set, right? This is the stuff I'm a little unsure of from last Friday:

Squat - 3 sets of 5 (3 sets at 50, 60 and 70 lbs)
Bench Press - 3 sets of 5 (3 sets at 50, 55, and 60 lbs)
Deadlift - 1 set of 5 (60lbs)

I'm sure it's still allowing you to make progress, but I would try sticking to one weight through all of the sets. It's certainly easier to track in my opinion. If you complete all of them them, add 5 pounds next workout.

So for squats, try 3 sets of 60. If you complete them, try 65lbs for all 3 sets on your next workout and so on.

Don't forget 1 or 2 warm up sets before your working sets. Lifting cold at your working weight could be damaging. So maybe your squat sets look like this:

Warmup set 1 = 20lbs
Warmup set 2 = 40lbs

Working set 1 = 60lbs
Working set 2 = 60lbs
Working set 3 = 60lbs

Edit: if you really like the format you're doing, just make sure that weights on all sets increase by a small amount (5lbs) each week as long as you are successfully completing them.

I've been skimming through Starting Strength and there's a passage where it says I should have added 40-50 pounds between my first squat set through my 6th.

But on the app it's been set to 5 pound intervals so I've completely lost my mark.

Have I been doing it wrong this entire time?

BumRush

I've been skimming through Starting Strength and there's a passage where it says I should have added 40-50 pounds between my first squat set through my 6th.

But on the app it's been set to 5 pound intervals so I've completely lost my mark.

Have I been doing it wrong this entire time?

You're thinking of the way you determine how much weight to start with. In starting strength you add weight each workout, not each set.

Read the guide in the OP...it's excellent.

mdsfx

Sorry, meant workout instead of set
Ah, yeah this is when you start the program. Since you start with only the bar, for some people it's very easy. So instead of adding only 5lb each week, they might be adding 10lb, but just until the weight becomes challenging.

Edit: don't mind me. Read the posts directly below

No worries. For deadlifts, it's 15-20...squats 10-15, bench, ohp 5-10. Err on the side of less, not more.

Full text from the wiki:

For young males that weigh between 150-200 lbs., deadlifts can move up 15-20 lbs. per workout, squats 10-15 lbs., with continued steady progress for 3-4 weeks before slowing down to half that rate. Bench presses, presses, and cleans can move up 5-10 lbs. per workout, with progress on these exercises slowing down to 2.5-5 lbs. per workout after only 2-3 weeks. Young women make progress on the squat and the deadlift at about the same rate, adjusted for bodyweight, but much slower on the press, the bench press, cleans, and assistance exercises.

I'd be lucky to add 5lbs regularly, but I'm an old fart.

BumRush

After 9 straight days of lifting I decided to take a much needed break today. Also, I came down off of the 5500+ calories that I had for a week straight. Both felt great.

Back in the gym tomorrow.

Cooter

After 9 straight days of lifting I decided to take a much needed break today. Also, I came down off of the 5500+ calories that I had for a week straight. Both felt great.

Back in the gym tomorrow.
Ditto but it was only 5 days for me and I was closer to 7000 a day. The last 3 days I've been at 1800-2000 and I feel great with all cravings long gone.

ILoveBish

Lol, all I had was a bowl of Pho and some egg rolls yesterday. Up 8lbs overnight. From 219.8 to 227.8. My body is ass. No biggie, I'll be back down and lower in no time.

BumRush

Yeah, I had 3000 today and I'm in no mood to eat again. Both of us are similar in that increasing calories doesn't trigger binging. I've noticed that's absolutely not true for everyone.

mdsfx

I'm so sick of food. Making up for my run today was a b*tch. Had to cheat by going to McDonalds and getting a double quarter pounder w/cheese, fish sandwich, and a 6-pc nugget. Can't remember the last time I even had food from there.

Side note: it's amazing how quickly calories stack up in fast food. Yeeesh.

BumRush

I'm so sick of food. Making up for my run today was a b*tch. Had to cheat by going to McDonalds and getting a double quarter pounder w/cheese, fish sandwich, and a 6-pc nugget. Can't remember the last time I even had food from there.

Side note: it's amazing how quickly calories stack up in fast food. Yeeesh.

Yeah, that's one way to get calories, for sure. I had McDs 4x this week.

I want to cut, but I have no idea how to do that.

Please help me.

What do you want to know particularly? There's an awesome calculator in the OP that will tell you how many calories you need to eat. There's a lot more to it though. I eat different kinds of food in a cut, exercise differently, etc.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Lol, all I had was a bowl of Pho and some egg rolls yesterday. Up 8lbs overnight. From 219.8 to 227.8. My body is ass. No biggie, I'll be back down and lower in no time.

How do you gain more weight than you intake, osmosis? What is the mechanism?

So just eat less than my BMR?

I find those calculated numbers to be a complete waste of time. If I were you, I'd take X kcal off what you're eating now, measure for a week to get the average change, if you're not losing weight, take off X kcal more, repeat until you're losing an acceptable amount of weight a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom