• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BumRush

I find those calculated numbers to be a complete waste of time. If I were you, I'd take X kcal off what you're eating now, measure for a week to get the average change, if you're not losing weight, take off X kcal more, repeat until you're losing an acceptable amount of weight a week.

There's more to cutting than strictly losing weight though (as I'm sure psycho knows...that's for you Doktor)

There's more to cutting than strictly losing weight though

Sure, but for most people that's the easiest way to tell it's working. Not everyone has access to a bod pod, callipers etc.

You can measure your waist, but for me it took a significant amount of fat loss before that changed to any great degree.

I find those calculated numbers to be a complete waste of time. If I were you, I'd take X kcal off what you're eating now, measure for a week to get the average change, if you're not losing weight, take off X kcal more, repeat until you're losing an acceptable amount of weight a week.

That's just it, what's acceptable? 2 lbs per week? 3?

I want my lifts to keep steadily growing.

I have that part figured out, but I haven't figured out how to do it while eating clean.

BumRush

I have that part figured out, but I haven't figured out how to do it while eating clean.

Aim for 2. 3+ pounds per week is extremely difficult for more than a few weeks.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Yeah, I had 3000 today and I'm in no mood to eat again. Both of us are similar in that increasing calories doesn't trigger binging. I've noticed that's absolutely not true for everyone.
We are. It actually has the opposite affect on me and eliminates the urge to binge. I just made homemade spaghetti and meatballs with garlic bread and a caesar salad for the family and company and had zero urge to partake. I sat down with my boring chicken breast and broccoli and was perfectly content.

This dream people have of losing weight while gaining strength is just that, a dream. There are exceptions such as people new to weightlifting or people who start at a high body fat percentage but typically these two do not go hand and hand. The biggest component in strength gain is a caloric surplus while losing weight almost entirely comes down to running a caloric deficit.

Wulfric

I'm sure it's still allowing you to make progress, but I would try sticking to one weight through all of the sets. It's certainly easier to track in my opinion. If you complete all of them them, add 5 pounds next workout.

Don't forget 1 or 2 warm up sets before your working sets. Lifting cold at your working weight could be damaging. So maybe your squat sets look like this:
*snip*
If you really like the format you're doing, just make sure that weights on all sets increase by a small amount (5lbs) each week as long as you are successfully completing them.

Sure thing, I'll keep the weight constant for tomorrow. I don't know how I misinterpreted the OP and got the idea that I was supposed to increase it after every set. It seemed to be working fine until Friday. I found the squat sets somewhat challenging at 70 lbs, and I was really struggling with 65 lbs on bench press. Before that, I could add 5 lbs to the following workout session pretty easily.

It's probably nothing to a lot of you guys, but I want to be able to lift 100 lbs by the end of December. Is that reasonable?

Cooper

Anybody have a good explanation on the muscle mechanics behind doing a pull-up? I'm making good progress on GLP, except for pull-ups, but I'm not really concerned because it really makes logical sense. I'm not doing any exercise where I am lifting approx 185 lbs with my arms, yet that's what I'm asking my arms (and shoulders and lats?) to do in a pull-up. Are there exercises which I could compare to where I might know if my pull-ups are lagging at some point?

Of course all I am doing are bench press, press, squat, row and deadlift.

Not that I'm anywhere close to being a pull/chin-up master, but I have been practicing them. Last week a fellow gym goer commented that he liked how much he could see my lats firing, and helped me get a video of me doing them. I know, it sounds weird. :p

https://youtu.be/hRWh5kf09tc

I still have quite a bit of improvement left when it comes to pull-up variations. When I'm fully rested, I can do a set of 8. Not a ton, but certainly more than the zero I started at. I focused a lot on bodyweight inverted rows (a legitimate use for the Smith machine!). I started with the bar at a fairly tall height, and gradually added reps and lowered the bar over time.

Oh, and I can't press or perform a lat pull-down with a load anywhere near my body weight. So don't worry too much about that.

Cooter

You're freaking awesome Coop! Those are better than 99% of any chins/pulls I see at my gym regardless of gender. Keeping rocking!

despire

Did he post the article or just PM us? I'm not sure but I think the latter.

Despire, that was a good read...can you share with the group? We've been getting a lot of protein / bodyweight questions

Yeah I just PM'd it to you guys..

I mean to have it up this week on the site. I guess the site is technically up and running but I haven't added any articles yet and my GF (also my graphic designer) has yet to decide on the visual look.

Maybe I should just post it up there and link it here. Doesn't really matter if the site is still "under construction".

despire

I want to cut, but I have no idea how to do that.

Please help me.

Calories:
BW x 11 for faster weight loss.
BW x 12-13 for a slower pace.

What's your weight/BF% now?

Protein .82 x BW and rest from carbs/fat depending on your preference.

Do cardio a few times a week if possible.

Cooper

You're freaking awesome Coop! Those are better than 99% of any chins/pulls I see at my gym regardless of gender. Keeping rocking!

Thanks. :) Even though I'm not the most active poster here, I love seeing what FitGAF does. How can you not want to improve yourself after seeing such impressive feats?

Cooter

Thanks. :) Even though I'm not the most active poster here, I love seeing what FitGAF does. How can you not want to improve yourself after seeing such impressive feats?
You're an OG. Quality over quantity. Not everyone has to blow this place up with irrelevant jibber jabber like I do.

despire

250 LB. I have no idea what my BF% is.

I'd guess it's higher bf% then?

In that case you need to use your target body weight (TBW) in the multiplier. For example if you want to be 180lbs: 180 x 11 = 1980kcal per day.

I should say it's just an estimate but it's a good place to start.

BumRush

Not that I'm anywhere close to being a pull/chin-up master, but I have been practicing them. Last week a fellow gym goer commented that he liked how much he could see my lats firing, and helped me get a video of me doing them. I know, it sounds weird. :p

I still have quite a bit of improvement left when it comes to pull-up variations. When I'm fully rested, I can do a set of 8. Not a ton, but certainly more than the zero I started at. I focused a lot on bodyweight inverted rows (a legitimate use for the Smith machine!). I started with the bar at a fairly tall height, and gradually added reps and lowered the bar over time.

Oh, and I can't press or perform a lat pull-down with a load anywhere near my body weight. So don't worry too much about that.

Cooper...incredible form! As Cooter said, it's better than mostly everything I see at the gym. Nice work.

sphinx

the piano man

This is awesome, Cooper, you can be very proud of that video, everything looks great, your form.

I remember we exchanged some posts a while back (but not that long ago) about this topic and I remember I suggested to you doing pyramid sets and I remember you once said you managed to go up to 3, but were you refering Pull-ups? or was that Chin-ups?

cause this is fantastic, it looks solid as hell and if you can do 8 rested coming from an 3-rep pyramid a while ago, then my mind is blown. amazing progress

I want to cut, but I have no idea how to do that.

Please help me.

Week 1/Day 1: You weigh yourself on a scale. Everyday for the week track your caloric intake.

Week 2/Day: You weigh yourself on a scale. (when weighing yourself, you want to make sure it's always under the same conditions. i.e. first thing in the morning, wearing just underwear etc.)

You find the average daily calories you consumed over week 1. this is your baseline.

If your weight either stayed the same or increased from week 1 to week 2, then subtract 500 calories from your baseline. And that's your new daily target.

For example, you consumed on average 3500 calories per day over week 1. And your weight stayed the same between the two weeks. From now on, your daily target is 3000.

Example 2: you consumed on average 2800 calories per day over week 1. And your weight dropped 1.5 lbs between the two weeks. From now on, your daily target is 2800.

Every weekly weigh-in until the end of your cut, you evaluate and adjust your daily target based on the scale.

-If your weight increased or stayed the same, subtract 200-300 calories from your daily target.
-If you lost weight, you can continue using the same daily target for 1 more week.

And don't obsess over clean eating. If will drive you crazy.

Faiz

And don't obsess over clean eating. If will drive you crazy.

This is one of the best lessons I ever learned regarding diet. Do your best to eat clean, but don't let it drive you crazy. if you tell yourself you HAVE to eat clean or you have failed... Chances are good you've already failed and as soon as you slip you'll end up binging. Better to allow yourself some unclean calories here and there as part of your plan. No mental games to play over failing.

I've had a small Reese's pumpkin most nights this month. Fat's still dropping off. Almost down 20 lbs since August 6.

mdsfx

This is one of the best lessons I ever learned regarding diet. Do your best to eat clean, but don't let it drive you crazy. if you tell yourself you HAVE to eat clean or you have failed... Chances are good you've already failed and as soon as you slip you'll end up binging. Better to allow yourself some unclean calories here and there as part of your plan. No mental games to play over failing.

I've had a small Reese's pumpkin most nights this month. Fat's still dropping off. Almost down 20 lbs since August 6.

When I was cutting I chose one treat to have every day as a dessert after dinner that I didn't even log into my calorie count. It was my freebie for the day. Obviously I kept it light on calories (sub 150), but it made me feel like I was having a treat without any guilt.

ILoveBish

Getting out of the shower, seeing yourself in a mirror and not recognizing its you. I'm not sure how much longer its going to be for me to accept the changes in my life, but its still not there yet.

ILoveBish

You drink 6 lbs worth of water in a day?

I drink over a gallon a day easily. Water weighs a lot.

The US gallon, which is equal to approximately 3.785 L, is legally defined as 231 cubic inches. A US liquid gallon of water weighs about 8.34 pounds or 3.78 kilograms at 62 °F (17 °C), making it about 16.6% lighter than the imperial gallon.

Doesn't really work that way for water weight relating to carbs though. That's only about 3-4g of water per g of carbohydrate (and it's a looooong time since you've eaten that many carbs). What you're experiencing is far more likely to be that plus fluid retention, which is a sightly different state of affairs.

ILoveBish

Doesn't really work that way for water weight relating to carbs though. That's only about 3-4g of water per g of carbohydrate (and it's a looooong time since you've eaten that many carbs). What you're experiencing is far more likely to be that plus fluid retention, which is a sightly different state of affairs.

When it comes down to it, if i ate a normal diet, this is the amount of water my body would retain at all times. When i'm in deep ketosis, there is no need for the water retention and the weight drops off, but its just water.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
When it comes down to it, if i ate a normal diet, this is the amount of water my body would retain at all times. When i'm in deep ketosis, there is no need for the water retention and the weight drops off, but its just water.

No reason to say your body sucks then!

The only thing that matters to me is if I look better in the mirror. Or if my shoulders do, rather. Stomach fat goes up and down when bulking and cutting.

Where I slip up is trying to figure out what's okay and what's not okay.

Also, for a working adult with limited time, eating clean can get expensive and time consuming.

ldcommando

Banned
What I´m doing right now in regards to dieting has been working quite nicely. If I´m in a place where I can strictly follow my diet, I do it. (like at home, cooking my own meals)
If I´m in a situation where "healthy" eating isn´t a option (like in a party), I eat whatever and find a way to compensate later. Getting good results doing this and I´m not freaking out about having to eat the right stuff at all times. The only rule of course is trying to balance the "parties".

Man, why do I love white rice so much ;___;

I ate white rice (and drank beer) right the way through my cut and had no problem getting to sub 10% body fat (didn't have it on non workout days, twice a week). I guess it might be a problem if you want to hit... I don't know, 6% or something, but it's not something that would stop you looking aesthetic by most people's standards.

I ate white rice (and drank beer) right the way through my cut and had no problem getting to sub 10% body fat (didn't have it on non workout days, twice a week). I guess it might be a problem if you want to hit... I don't know, 6% or something, but it's not something that would stop you looking aesthetic by most people's standards.

Hmm we'll see. I just super fucking hungry at night and since I'm asian, its like I can't eat food without rice lol

Really need to find some sort of dietary/daily meal plan

ILoveBish

Good to hear. Embrace it dude.

I really want to. I get told really often now by women that I'm really handsome, just out of nowhere, and my first thought is that they're making fun of me. It's hard to stop that mindset. This girl I'm dating told me the same thing, but in that case I wanted to believe it was legit. Part of the struggle.

And I'm now looking into surgery to remove excess skin. Once I hit my goal size, it will start to be a real consideration.

And I'm now looking into surgery to remove excess skin. Once I hit my goal size, it will start to be a real consideration.

There's a few of us here looking at that one in one way or another. Shame that there's no 100% natural way to recover from our past transgressions!

Cooter

The gains are real. 163.8 this morning.

Edit: also completed 140x5x5 OHP press today. Never done that before.
I'll see you at 180! Also, get used to saying I've never done that before because it will be happening often.

mdsfx

Has anyone ever entered a fitness competition just as a motivator? The comp itself is not the most appealing idea for me (at all), but I'm sure it would make me push myself harder. Just curious.

I'll see you at 180! Also, get used to saying I've never done that before because it will be happening often.
Looking forward to it!

crpav

Just to chime in about clean eating and diet. I was 190 last December and started counting my calories and lifting heavier. I was down to about 172 at the beginning of summer. I only lift 3 days a week for an hour or so in the morning. I also add some cardio on weekends if I feel up to it.

Anyway, I still enjoyed ice cream, candy and other junk like chips occasionally. Basically hit your protein first then carbs and fat and eat pretty clean and a little cheating won't hurt you. Just stay under your calorie limit and you will be fine. Now when you hit a stop is when to change it up and depending on your goals then look into the cleanest diet possible. Lately I have been cheating a bit too much and am up to 177 now.

andycapps

Looking forward to getting back to lifting today after straining my lower back 1 1/2 weeks ago and taking that entire time off from weights. Did exercise bike instead in that time for almost every day. Not bad when you have a decent show to watch on Netflix, but I miss the weights and feel really puny already. 1 1/2 weeks isn't enough time to lose much gains, but it feels like I'm getting smaller every day.

Had anyone ever enter a fitness competition just as a motivator? The comp itself is not the most appealing idea for me (at all), but I'm sure it would make me push myself harder. Just curious.

Looking forward to it!

I don't think I could ever enter a fitness competition. I don't think I have the discipline required to get down to that sub 8% body fat required.

But next year I'm going to try to enter 2 powerlifting competitions. I think I can do well and it will motivate me to push harder in the gym.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom