• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faiz

Cheers, it's a crazy amount of money, but I'm hoping it's worth it.

Most definitely. Being able to work out at home is absolutely worth it. Sometimes I miss the people at the gym but most times I'm just happy to lift with no competition for equipment, shower in my own restroom, and head straight to work right after. Absolutely worth it.

Only regret is not QUITE having enough clearance in my basement for the full rack and extended monkey bars. I'd have had to move some duct work and didn't want to get into that.

Always go quality first. I don't regret my elitefts half rack one bit. Also, if you have room build your own deadlift platform, it will save you a ton of money.

Yeah, I'm definitely considering building one. Just need to move first and work out an overall layout for my gym / garage. I should have a ton of room to play with.

Faiz

Always go quality first. I don't regret my elitefts half rack one bit. Also, if you have room build your own deadlift platform, it will save you a ton of money.

Yeah commercial platforms are outrageous. I think I spent $150 on materials all told building mine, including delivery of the plywood. (Delivery price was same as a truck rental to move it myself).

mdsfx

This morning I realized that I could eat Arby's again... #FAMILYGAINS

1 roast beef max
1 regular roast beef
1 6-pc chicken tender
All the sodium ever

Bi0rhHAh.jpg

bchamba

I'm putting together a full facial reconstruction based on the pieces of your face you include in every pic. Soon everybody will know what you look like.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
This morning I realized that I could eat Arby's again... #FAMILYGAINS

1 roast beef max
1 regular roast beef
1 6-pc chicken tender
All the sodium ever
170 and 8% is in reach! Gonna take more than 4 weeks though.

Highwind

Been doing good in the gym lately but I wish people at my gym would re-rack the god damn weights when they're done with them.

It becomes a pain in the ass having to look for what you need and while there are weights everywhere. Shit.

-_-

ILoveBish

Awesome! What's your plan from here?

Down to 199.9 or less. I should be psycho cut by then. I have a large frame and plenty of muscle. Just need to cut more to expose it all. I should be at around 17% or so atm. Every pound at this point is a challenge for me, body doesn't want to drop.

mdsfx

Been doing good in the gym lately but I wish people at my gym would re-rack the god damn weights when they're done with them.

It becomes a pain in the ass having to look for what you need and while there are weights everywhere. Shit.

-_-

Preaching to the choir. Every morning I come in to my work gym around 5:30-6am, just after anyone from third shift might use it. Those bastards don't clean up anything. Plates are still on barbells, scattered all over the floor, and especially around the curl/ez bar which apparently is their go-to lift every single day. Dumbbells are also in piles around the gym. They never use the squat rack though so at least there's that.

mdsfx

mdsfx

Down to 199.9 or less. I should be psycho cut by then. I have a large frame and plenty of muscle. Just need to cut more to expose it all. I should be at around 17% or so atm. Every pound at this point is a challenge for me, body doesn't want to drop.
Do you think occasional cheat days might be an advantage in terms of your body adjusting to low-carbs/calories? (Isn't that a thing?)

ILoveBish

Do you think occasional cheat days might be an advantage in terms of your body adjusting to low-carbs/calories? (Isn't that a thing?)

My cells are fully keto adapted at this point, so other then swoosh effects, there is really no advantage to straying from the plan. Plus i eat so little, and my body uses my body fat for energy. Its best to stick to the plan for myself, but once i actually get to the point where i'm happy with how i look, i will definitely take more liberty's, mostly to stop people from telling me i need to eat more lol.

Teggy

Anybody have a good explanation on the muscle mechanics behind doing a pull-up? I'm making good progress on GLP, except for pull-ups, but I'm not really concerned because it really makes logical sense. I'm not doing any exercise where I am lifting approx 185 lbs with my arms, yet that's what I'm asking my arms (and shoulders and lats?) to do in a pull-up. Are there exercises which I could compare to where I might know if my pull-ups are lagging at some point?

Of course all I am doing are bench press, press, squat, row and deadlift.

bchamba

Wasnt trying to poke fun (hope it didn't come across that way). Just looked like something might have gone wrong. Probably just you relaxing your body afterwards.

Lol no I didn't take it like that at all. I did just relax everything after the set and walked away from the bar with my body slumped over.

BumRush

Anybody have a good explanation on the muscle mechanics behind doing a pull-up? I'm making good progress on GLP, except for pull-ups, but I'm not really concerned because it really makes logical sense. I'm not doing any exercise where I am lifting approx 185 lbs with my arms, yet that's what I'm asking my arms (and shoulders and lats?) to do in a pull-up. Are there exercises which I could compare to where I might know if my pull-ups are lagging at some point?

Of course all I am doing are bench press, press, squat, row and deadlift.

Lat pull downs are the closet thing to a pull up outside of weight assisted pullups. That doesn't necessarily mean you need to do 185 lbs on the lat machine to equal 1 pull up though. Use them to help train those muscles.

Teggy

Lat pull downs are the closet thing to a pull up outside of weight assisted pullups. That doesn't necessarily mean you need to do 185 lbs on the lat machine to equal 1 pull up though. Use them to help train those muscles.

Sorry, I should have said chin-ups there, I know there is a difference in the muscles used to some extent.

So would the idea be to do some reverse grip pull downs after I finish all my other exercises on chin-up days?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
It's amazing how fast you get that off the ground dude. The next competition isn't event right? Just lifts?

Yeah, plan is half the year focus on Powerlifting. Once the competition is over switch to strongman focus unless I qualify for nationals, then that will take precident.

So basically June-Dec powerlifting. January-May Strongman.

BumRush

Yeah, plan is half the year focus on Powerlifting. Once the competition is over switch to strongman focus unless I qualify for nationals, then that will take precident.

So basically June-Dec powerlifting. January-May Strongman.

Sick...that's awesome dude. Give us a heads up when the competition is close, please.

Sorry, I should have said chin-ups there, I know there is a difference in the muscles used to some extent.

So would the idea be to do some reverse grip pull downs after I finish all my other exercises on chin-up days?

Yes, if you are struggling to do chin ups, doing your compounds will help, but reverse grip pull downs will target the same muscles as the real thing (although some stabilizers won't be worked the same). First rule of pull downs though...focus on form. The majority of people I see doing them in the gym are not doing them correctly (focused on showing off weight).

mdsfx

1) Remember my advice, tshirts and no mirrors.
2) 99% of the population would kill to have those "hidden" abs.
Yeah, not trying to be an ass on #2. Just meant that the change happened more quickly than I expected.

Diet is going fairly well, although my fat intake today blasted up to 140g. Won't let that happen again. Protein has been hitting 200+ consistently.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Yeah, not trying to be an ass on #2. Just meant that the change happened more quickly than I expected.

Diet is going fairly well, although my fat intake today blasted up to 140g. Won't let that happen again. Protein has been hitting 200+ consistently.
Oh I didn't take it that way. It is crazy how quickly your body changes when you start lean and gain weight. Always amazes me too.

Would it be a tragedy if I took a one week break off stronglifts 5x5?

I've enjoyed the program, seen some nice moderate results and am ten weeks in but I've been feeling so fucking burnt out this week.

I would still consume the food I need to consume and rest the amount I need to rest but I think I'll die if I have to do another set of squats in a few days.

BumRush

I've enjoyed the program, seen some nice moderate results and am ten weeks in but I've been feeling so fucking burnt out this week.

I would still consume the food I need to consume and rest the amount I need to rest but I think I'll die if I have to do another set of squats in a few days.

No absolutely. Take the week off...clear your head...hit it harder when you get back.

More importantly though...if you're burnt out by squats, heavy lifting may not be right for you. If it's just the consecutive weeks though, that happens to EVERYONE...don't worry.

No absolutely. Take the week off...clear your head...hit it harder when you get back.

More importantly though...if you're burnt out by squats, heavy lifting may not be right for you. If it's just the consecutive weeks though, that happens to EVERYONE...don't worry.

I think it's definitely the continuous workouts week after week. I hadn't lifted in 7 years before starting Stronglifts (and that was when I was 16, for only one summer too), so I wasn't exactly used to it.

Squats have actually been my most consistent workout in this program, and I'm seeing awesome results from it. Started at 45 lbs and I'm now at 190. I love squats, but this week just fucking killed me.

Thanks for the word of advice.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Fitness threads on OT, golly gee.

"Cheat days are also known as "failing at following a diet"."

What a fucking plebian.

No tragedy at all, I've done it too, those squats become killer when you start to go heavy like you're going right now. I've had to go from 5X5 to 3X5 mostly because of time ( can't be spending over 2 hours doing the compound lifts, accessory lifts, and stretching) and also because it was quite taxing (in a good way though).

I'm not sure if this has been ask before, but I'll ask anyway.

I weigh around 130 pounds, super skinny with a very high metabolism. I want to finally start working out and gaining muscle, and while I know that Im not going to be Arnold, it would be nice to put on some muscle because....quite frankly, I'm REALLY skinny.

But after reading and trying to get advice, I have been getting some unfortunate implications that, due to how skinny I am, I will never gain any muscle mass. This isn't true at all, is it?

Frankly, am I doomed to never gain muscle mass? Because the only I ever got was one of my co-workers saying that I should never try to work out due the fact that I need to eat more protein, and that will damage my liver (?) I don't think this is true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom