• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMuscle

Man look so lean these days, but scale has stalled at 220-221 for a while now. I can visually see the huge difference in midsection, the side of my abs is way more indented then before. And I'm starting to look big even at lower fat levels.

I checked and I'm barely getting 1200 calories, might even be lower then that in fact. Oh wells, deadlift day today, feel insanely strong right now.

And mrmuscle, happy bday, you look amazing and we're the same age!

Thanks man.

1200 calories on that weight? Man, I have 2 low days a week at 1700 and cant imagine going lower.

mkenyon

Banned
Oh I do. I started working hard at it a couple years ago with SS. Had some good progress which was interrupted by the birth of my son. Got back to it in June of last year, switching to 531 along the way. by August this year (so 14 months later) I was feeling the girth and switched to fat loss until Thanksgiving. Im down to 168 from 186 and wanted to make it to 160 by Thanksgiving. May not happen, as its really slowed down, but that's ok.

But yeah, I've got a long history of frustrating middling results. Hoping things really start to be visibly different once this fat loss is down and I start focusing on strength building again.

My biggest gains problem, as I've talked about before at times, is sleep problems stemming from my sons periodic insomnia. Not much I can do about that until he hopefully grows out of it though.
Damn. Hope that turns out okay.

Sounds like your son is meant to be a hardcore PC Gamer though. So at least there's that. Start training him to get dat Dota $$

That feel when all your pants you bought only a few months ago no longer fit due to your new diet and exercise :/ . Especially that tailored suit you got for interviews :/ :/

at least my bulk is finally seeing some progress, that food scale has done wonders for actually being able to measure my intake correctly. Currently at 210. Will bulk to 215 and gauge from there.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
This is crazy. Your form is so dialed in at this point. Excellent looking deadlifts.

---

Ok you all convinced me. Knocking on 30s door won't be bad. I didn't realize I was actually one of the younger ones here.

Thanks bud, missed this earlier.

Wtf Brolic. I missed those rows. Crazy.

And your reaction to the ammonia was priceless lol

Holy crap brolic those rows :0 here I am rowing like 32kgs lol. Gonna have to step it up! Thanks for the motivation

Lol, thanks guys.

Nah, I was firmly in 3rd or 4th I believe. It's ok. I'm totally over it. Yup, not bothering me at all. Not one bit... Next year. Oh next year!

did we have the final rankings?

If it makes you feel any better, you'll always be my #1.

3OGqXX0.gif

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
It was a long time since your last benching video Brolic. I had to scroll past dozens to see how you do them earlier this year.

Do you plan on doing regular bench? Thoughts on going paused only?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Or maybe
I paid Spirit to say that to make you get complacent so you'll slack off for next year's sweet 16? You'll never know now.
Nothing or no one is stopping me from bringing it hard next year. I'm bringing size and cuts. Best be ready! No half assing it this time.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
It was a long time since your last benching video Brolic. I had to scroll past dozens to see how you do them earlier this year.

Do you plan on doing regular bench? Thoughts on going paused only?

Changing my training to be powerlifting focused for this meet in December. Thinking of doing a push pull instead of just deadlifting also why I'm doing pause bench. If I wasn't preparing for competition I'd just be doing touch and go.

BumRush

Changing my training to be powerlifting focused for this meet in December. Thinking of doing a push pull instead of just deadlifting also why I'm doing pause bench. If I wasn't preparing for competition I'd just be doing touch and go.

Does competition bench lead more towards paused?

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Just had a great workout! Helps that I've ballooned to 5'9" 198lbs:

Squats: 275lbs 1x2, 230x3x5 (reset necessary here to dial in my technique, which will definitely be worth it)
Paused DB Bench: 80s 3x5 (PR)
Power Cleans: 145lbs 4x3, 1x6 (PR!)

I would rather do a BW power clean than a press. I was always the slowest person when I played sports.

I get that you need to prepare for the competition. I'm wondering what programming is best to get overall stronger. Touch and go until you get close to the competition?

For some reason I decided to read through today's blog post from that natty or not website.Link

And in this post he claims that for a 5'6" male to break 150lbs he'd have to be fat. (which is a pretty ridiculous assertion considering 150lbs for someone that height is within the healthy bmi range.)

Anyways, then he goes on to say that naturals can't squat 450lbs, which was funny to read, because I'm 5'6" and a natural and I can squat that much.

BumRush

For some reason I decided to read through today's blog post from that natty or not website.Link

And in this post he claims that for a 5'6" male to break 150lbs he'd have to be fat. (which is a pretty ridiculous assertion considering 150lbs for someone that height is within the healthy bmi range.)

Anyways, then he goes on to say that naturals can't squat 450lbs, which was funny to read, because I'm 5'6" and a natural and I can squat that much.

How much do you weigh?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Does competition bench lead more towards paused?

Strictly pause, you have to wait for a press command from your chest.

Just had a great workout! Helps that I've ballooned to 5'9" 198lbs:

Squats: 275lbs 1x2, 230x3x5 (reset necessary here to dial in my technique, which will definitely be worth it)
Paused DB Bench: 80s 3x5 (PR)
Power Cleans: 145lbs 4x3, 1x6 (PR!)

I would rather do a BW power clean than a press. I was always the slowest person when I played sports.

I get that you need to prepare for the competition. I'm wondering what programming is best to get overall stronger. Touch and go until you get close to the competition?

Depends. I'm only 2 months from the competition, so I'm gonna start pause now. If you compete a lot, you would train pause more. But yes IMO overall I'd train touch and go. Pause will burn the shit out of you but it also forces you to use good form.

Cooter

He said someone 5'6 and 150 isn't squatting 450 which is mostly true minus a few outliers. I think most of what he says is close to true but he needs to stop writing in absolutes.

How much do you weigh?
165lbs. Looking at that chart, I though I had a regular BMI, but it looks like i'm still overweight.

He said someone 5'6 and 150 isn't squatting 450 which is mostly true minus a few outliers. I think most of what he says is close to true but he needs to stop writing in absolutes.
He says in the blog post that he worked out at a powerlifting gym for 2 years and none of the naturals there could squat that much.

He kinda phrased it like: "I've never seen any natural that could do that, so there's no way a 150lb natural could."

I liked reading his articles when he was calling out fake natties. It was really enlightening for me I guess. Since he's moved away from that, I find his blog almost unreadable most days. Not sure what it was about today's post that grabbed my attention.

Cooter

165lbs. Looking at that chart, I though I had a regular BMI, but it looks like i'm still overweight.

He says in the blog post that he worked out at a powerlifting gym for 2 years and none of the naturals there could squat that much.

He kinda phrased it like: "I've never seen any natural that could do that, so there's no way a 150lb natural could."

I liked reading his articles when he was calling out fake natties. It was really enlightening for me I guess. Since he's moved away from that, I find his blog almost unreadable most days. Not sure what it was about today's post that grabbed my attention.
Squatting 450 at 165 is fantastic dude! I'd love to see that if you recorded it. Nice work. Yeah, I agree with you that his "never" and "not happening" statements make him sound uneducated on the subject. That being said, I do agree with most of his overall points about steroids helping tremendously.

So I've been very lazy lately (haven't been working out, but I'm fixing that now) and have only lost 1 kilo (bit more than 2lbs) in the last 2 weeks. Still progress though.

I'm currently 84 kilos (185lbs). I've lost 33kg (72lbs) so far. Just 4 kilos away from my current mini goal of 80 kilos.

Yay, finally put on a bit of weight. Will stick to that calorie intake for a week and tweak from there.

Edit - Still such an alien thing to say. Gaining weight intentionally? Madness. It's funny, was chatting to someone about cycling the other day and they said "You're alright, I reckon I could barely find a pound of fat on you". In my mind I was "I'M FOOLING YOU ALL, I'M ACTUALLY A FAT MAN IN A SKINNY MAN'S BODY!".

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Depends. I'm only 2 months from the competition, so I'm gonna start pause now. If you compete a lot, you would train pause more. But yes IMO overall I'd train touch and go. Pause will burn the shit out of you but it also forces you to use good form.

Cool, thanks. I will probably keep alternating when I stall.

sphinx

the piano man
Yay, finally put on a bit of weight. Will stick to that calorie intake for a week and tweak from there.

Edit - Still such an alien thing to say. Gaining weight intentionally? Madness.

lol I know this, I was once with two friends, one who lifts and another one who has struggled with overweight all his life and has a hard time finding the motivation to either diet or work out.

So we were hangin out together and I was all excited telling my lifting friend "I am 2 kilos heavier! I am so happy!" he was like "Congrats!! way to go!!"... the other guy was like "I can't believe my ears, you are happy that you gained weight??? are you guys out of your fucking mind" what's next? you'll try to get diabetes and high Colesterol and celebrate about it??"

we all laughed at the whole thing, it does sound weird to be happy about gaining weight I admit.

I did have to explain that the wording matters: it's not "I am trying to get fat", it's "I am trying to attain volume". lol.

he rolleyed his eyes still XD

Anyone here have an opinion on Rogue fitness stuff, specifically their power racks?

2564-rogue-r-6-power-rack_e_u.jpg

(Note, it doesn't come with everything there)

I'll be moving soon and the thing I'm most excited about (aside from getting dogs!) is that I'll finally be able to get my full on garage gym back together. The Rogue R6 above is easily the most expensive of the racks I'm looking at, but I'm sort of thinking that it's at least a 10 year investment, so I'm not too concerned that it's basically twice the price of its nearest rival.

I especially like that I can bolt on a landmine attachment as I've done those for shoulder and core work before and found them especially effective.

If anyone has any suggestions for other companies / specific racks, then I'm happy to look at them, though many wont ship to the UK, and many that do cost so much for the shipping that I wouldn't be able to afford the rack in the end anyway.

mdsfx

I know this isn't a large meal by any of your standards (961 cal), but I am enjoying the hell out of this.

Edit: and those are Kodiak protein pancakes.

Side note: not liking the force-feeding I went through this week. I want to see what happens today if I only eat when I'm hungry, but to fullness each time.

Also, everything that I worked out this week is sore for some reason. I have no idea why.

Faiz

Anyone here have an opinion on Rogue fitness stuff, specifically their power racks?

(Note, it doesn't come with everything there)

I'll be moving soon and the thing I'm most excited about (aside from getting dogs!) is that I'll finally be able to get my full on garage gym back together. The Rogue R6 above is easily the most expensive of the racks I'm looking at, but I'm sort of thinking that it's at least a 10 year investment, so I'm not too concerned that it's basically twice the price of its nearest rival.

I especially like that I can bolt on a landmine attachment as I've done those for shoulder and core work before and found them especially effective.

If anyone has any suggestions for other companies / specific racks, then I'm happy to look at them, though many wont ship to the UK, and many that do cost so much for the shipping that I wouldn't be able to afford the rack in the end anyway.

Virtually all of my stuff is Rogue - didn't have the space for a full Rack so I got the S-2 squat stand. Granted I don't put as much abuse on mine as a lot of guys here but I've been very satisfied with my stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom