• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
6 weeks is a very short time to give up on a beginners program. Whatever program you're doing should have instructions for deloading if you get stuck on a particular weight. Just follow through on those and keep going.

Doesn't look like he's actually hit a plateau yet anyway, his numbers are still going up, albeit slower than originally... which is basically how most of these programs work anyway. You can always progress much quicker at the start.

So what's going to happen when you're married and she starts cooking you delicious calimari on a regular basis? You're going to need to become a cardiobro. :D

That feel when you clothes you've worn in the past fit much better on you know with your new physique. Got lots of compliments today wearing a thermal top that is pretty form fitting that I've worn in the past. Except that when I wore it in the past, I used to wear another shirt over it because of how much it contoured to my body (back when I was a lot more self-conscious about how I looked). Feels good

ILoveBish

So what's going to happen when you're married and she starts cooking you delicious calimari on a regular basis? You're going to need to become a cardiobro. :D

There are low carb recipes brah. Cardio? No thanks. And she plans on joining the keto nation, in fact once things get more serious (likely, very soon), i'm going to be cooking all her meals for her. All she's going to have to do is eat and she'll be in ketosis and losing fat quick. She told me she wants to slim down and get more into working out, she ran into the right dude.

Why calimari, lol. No carbs in squid.

Its weird, but seafood tends to have SOME carbs. Shrimp in particular, mussels, etc. Even just the fish itself.

Why calamari, lol. No carbs in squid.
It's what he was talking about recently, and there is in batter... which is what's added to squid to make it calamari. :p

All she's going to have to do is eat and she'll be in ketosis and losing fat quick. She told me she wants to slim down and get more into working out, she ran into the right dude.

On the subject of losing fat quick. How on earth are you at such a low calorie intake, and in keto, and not losing ridiculous weight?

After 10 days in Germany, I only gained 1 pound. I probably walked 90 miles while I was there so it worked out.

After the time off going back to my regular gym schedule was really enjoyable.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
There are low carb recipes brah. Cardio? No thanks. And she plans on joining the keto nation, in fact once things get more serious (likely, very soon), i'm going to be cooking all her meals for her. All she's going to have to do is eat and she'll be in ketosis and losing fat quick. She told me she wants to slim down and get more into working out, she ran into the right dude.

Its weird, but seafood tends to have SOME carbs. Shrimp in particular, mussels, etc. Even just the fish itself.
Shrimp doesn't have carbs. 100 grams with 20ish gs of protein has under 1 gram.

EDIT: I guess that sentence technically doesn't make sense but they are almost nonexistent.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
why do you replace DLs with goodmornings? not that you can't or shouldn't, I am just curious.

I'm having trouble finding the original source but it's this:

http://www.strengthcats.com/nodeadlift.htm

It all started back in 1968 when a strongman called Bill Starr smashed the world deadlift record without ever having done a deadlift before, which obviously caused havoc amongst the powerlifting community in those days. Bill explained that doing deadlift puts too much strain on your lower back.

He said that heavy deadlifts with 500-600 pounds fatigued the lower back and required longer recovery times. Not many people paid much attention to him. Powerlifters, as a whole, are still over training their deadlifts. Another world champ in the 1970's called Loren Betzer said the same.

He wrote an article "To Deadlift More, Don't Deadlift" where Betzer described himself as a conventional deadlifter. As with most conventional deadlifters, Betzer was blowing the weight off the floor only to have it stall out higher up. By dropping the deadlift from his training program, Betzer ended up putting 40 pounds on it in 5 months.

According to Starr, there were four exercises that carried over to the deadlift and they are power cleans, heavy shrugs, hi-pulls and good mornings. Power cleans and hi-pulls were used to build speed, as well as working the traps. Olympic style shrugs were also performed for development of the traps which are vital in finishing the top part of the deadlift.

Just something I'm experimenting with. I'll test if my deadlift gets stronger in a few months.

Cooter

I wake up and walk into the livingroom to find my 5 year old son eating candy.

Me: Why are you eating that right now?
Him: What? It's a cheat day.

That's my boy!

ILoveBish

On the subject of losing fat quick. How on earth are you at such a low calorie intake, and in keto, and not losing ridiculous weight?

I know it makes no sense, but I feel like I'm building lean mass while losing fat. Kind of like a very slow recomp. Otherwise I know I should be losing quicker, but I am looking more cut and still strong, just the scale is going down very slow. It's bizarre.

Shrimp doesn't have carbs. 100 grams with 20ish gs of protein has under 1 gram.

EDIT: I guess that sentence technically doesn't make sense but they are almost nonexistent.

Yah, unlike say chicken and beef, fish has some. I know it's very little, but for someone who wants to be strict and count every carb, should keep it in mind when it comes to seafood. It is very small amount of course.

Milk duds and twix were his poison.

Twix, good man. Especially delicious dipped in coffee, but he'll find that out later. \o/

I know it makes no sense, but I feel like I'm building lean mass while losing fat. Kind of like a very slow recomp. Otherwise I know I should be losing quicker, but I am looking more cut and still strong, just the scale is going down very slow. It's bizarre.

Aye, tis very strange. At the end of the day though, if you're still able to keep / improve your strength then something is clearly working.

Switched to LA fitness from the Y partially cause I thought they'd have more squat racks. Nope. Still only two

Everyone is way more buff there than the old people at the Y.

Somewhat intimidating but then I just imagine that they're all Gaffers ;)

ILoveBish

Aye, tis very strange. At the end of the day though, if you're still able to keep / improve your strength then something is clearly working.

Yep, things are progressing, so just gonna keep going at the low calories. And i've since since started my next fast, sunday 7:15pm i finished eating, so wednesday at 7:15pm will be the next time i eat. The only major difference is tho, i'm going to lift during the fast, but only because its deload week and its very light. And i might just make it only 2 of the days and take the third day off depending. We'll see how things go.

JoeNut

Damn I know I'm getting addicted to the gym because I'm really looking forward to going and I've felt weak this weekend for not going.

Managed a 125 x 5 x 3 ohp on saturday. Almost failed on the very last rep, but managed to push through it.

Tonight I'm trying for 195 x 5 x 3 benchpress, and 205 x 5 x 3 backsquat.

Pretty confident about the squat, but benchpress gave me a hell of a run at 190, not sure I'll make it at 195.

Out of interest, is there anyone else here that rows more than they bench? I know I'm a strange case because of old injuries, but I can row about 25lbs more than I can bench.

JoeNut

i've never really pushed myself on rows yet, i'm just really getting used to doing them with decent form, so only doing 35kg's 5x5

eot

Banned
I finally summoned the resolve to go to the gym and started with the stonglifts program. I've done squats and bench press before so they weren't an issue, but I feel like I completely messed up the barbell row. It's hard to gauge if your back is in the right position and I also found it a lot tougher than the other two. I started with 30/20/30kg for squat/bench/row and the first two did not feel like much of a workout where as the row did. Are you supposed to get the bar to touch your chest? Because I couldn't get it that far.

Maybe I should start at a lower weight and make sure I'm doing it properly.

Wulfric

Damn I know I'm getting addicted to the gym because I'm really looking forward to going and I've felt weak this weekend for not going.

Same here, I worked the early shift on Friday and decided I was too tired. I did take a desperately needed four hour nap, though. Tbh I feel bad for skipping Friday. All that Halloween candy is coming back to bite me! D:

It's Monday morning, so it's right back to the gym for me.

So, no comments/tips on my routine posted last page? ='(

There is one mistake you are making. You do 198.42 lbs squat for two days, even though you completed your sets both times. You are not going to get bigger if you do not increase the weight you're lifting. Shoot for 200 lbs in your next session.

Also, what hurts about the shoulder press? A narrow grip the width of your shoulders may be the solution. Dumbbells are a good alternative too

mkenyon

Banned
So last week I decided to try the Cooter-routine. Go at a single compound super hard with some accessories after.

I haven't been this sore since I started 6 months ago.

It did lead to me adding at least 10lbs to everything except Overhead Press. Part of that is because I've started over completely on that to mimic Brolic-form, rather than the SS or SS 2.0 forms.

JoeNut

Absolutely buzzing, new squat pb of 40kg + bar 5x5 then managed 2x5 40kg + bar BP but had to Deload to 37.5 for last 3 sets. Still most I've ever done on both squat and bench
Really happy!

Btw not sure if bar is 10 or 20kg, a guy here I asked said 20kg

Cooter

So last week I decided to try the Cooter-routine. Go at a single compound super hard with some accessories after.

It did lead to me adding at least 10lbs to everything except Overhead Press. Part of that is because I've started over completely on that to mimic Brolic-form, rather than the SS or SS 2.0 forms.

tumblr_ml2fnyeVXo1qj1j2fo1_250.gif

Fox318

Now that I started lose some weight and gain some muscle my father now wants me to show him how to lift.

Really wish he would go see a trainer though. His shoulder is fucked up from firefighting and 9/11. All he does now is yoga, spin classes, and other machines when he kinda feels like it.

I'm no expert and I still feel like I'm learning more and more. I still ask for help with form but I kinda got sick of hearing different people tell me different things.

Think I'll show him what I've done then yell at him to talk to a trained professional.

TTOOLL

There is one mistake you are making. You do 198.42 lbs squat for two days, even though you completed your sets both times. You are not going to get bigger if you do not increase the weight you're lifting. Shoot for 200 lbs in your next session.

Also, what hurts about the shoulder press? A narrow grip the width of your shoulders may be the solution. Dumbbells are a good alternative too

I increase the weight every week, not every practice. Am I doing it wrong? The problem with the shoulder is in relation to the movement itself, even if I do just the movement without any weight I still fell some kind of discomfort.

I increase the weight every week, not every practice. Am I doing it wrong? The problem with the shoulder is in relation to the movement itself, even if I do just the movement without any weight I still fell some kind of discomfort.

Arguably if you hit the reps with good form, you increase on your next session (depending on what program you're doing). Of course, deciding what is good form is another story.

TTOOLL

Arguably if you hit the reps with good form, you increase on your next session (depending on what program you're doing). Of course, deciding what is good form is another story.

I'll do it then, but I'll start doing 3x10 instead of 5x5 so I might have to deload a bit.

TTOOLL

What is a Cooter-routine? =P

sorry about the double post, damn!

Out of interest, is there anyone else here that rows more than they bench? I know I'm a strange case because of old injuries, but I can row about 25lbs more than I can bench.

The way my stronglifts program is going, I am currently rowing more than I bench. I am starting to hit somewhat of a wall with the bench though. Is there a lift that will help improve my bp? I've been doing incline barbell flys, but that's more for hypertrophy of the chest and not necessarily strength in the lift.

Fox318

Why do so many gyms not have enough squat racks or cages?

Same could be said for why they have smith machines? Can't you get hurt with those?

entremet

Why do so many gyms not have enough squat racks or cages?

Same could be said for why they have smith machines? Can't you get hurt with those?

It's because most gyms have followed the fitness center approach. In the industry these are called Globo Gyms.

You get tons of cardio machines and weight machines and free weights are usually neglected in a small corner or area.

Free weights also require some skill to use them, especially barbells. These gyms want to maximize profits, so they target the mass audience and cardio and weight machines are much easier to use.

Funny thing is that scientific studies keep showing that weight training, even weigh training alone is better for body composition than cardio.

If I was king of the world, I'd replace 2/3rds of the cardio machines in these gyms with Strong Man equipment. It's more effective for fat loss.

You can find speciality gyms that focus on lifting or strong man stuff, but they are rare.

The Metro Flexes of the world are a good example of a strength focused gym.

ILoveBish

Deload week going fine, I had to wait for the decline bench, so I did pull up pyramids, from 1 to 5 to 1. Felt good. Hope to increase that soon.

mkenyon

Banned
What is a Cooter-routine? =P

sorry about the double post, damn!
Take all the typical SS/SL compound lifts, and separate them over 5-6 days of the week, doing one a day, but going super hard at it.

So last week I did

Mon: Row
Tue: Bench + Squats
Wed: Off
Thu: Deadlift
Fri: Squats
Sat: Press

Cooter

Take all the typical SS/SL compound lifts, and separate them over 5-6 days of the week, doing one a day, but going super hard at it.

So last week I did

Mon: Row
Tue: Bench + Squats
Wed: Off
Thu: Deadlift
Fri: Squats
Sat: Press

Soreness isn't necessarily an indicator of effectiveness but it can't hurt. Glad you enjoyed it!

mkenyon

Banned
Soreness isn't necessarily an indicator of effectiveness but it can't hurt. Glad you enjoyed it!
Yeah, I know. It's absolutely just from the change in routine, and my body not being used to it yet.

But there's something about soreness that just makes you feel like you have worked hard. It's totally psychological, but I love it.

Cooter

Yeah, I know. It's absolutely just from the change in routine, and my body not being used to it yet.

But there's something about soreness that just makes you feel like you have worked hard. It's totally psychological, but I love it.
I agree. Increasing your numbers is real doe. No disputing that!

*** SQUAT CHEAT MODE ACTIVATED ***

lol. One of the ligaments in my left knee was hurting today, and I noticed it quite a bit on my warm up sets so I figured rather than just skipping the full weight I'd try out my knee sleeves (I've only previously used them as shin protection for deadlifts)...

...good god those things are cheat mode. I wrecked my previous personal best and then went on for some AMRAP on my final set. More than that, my form was excellent, whereas on my previous best I was barely getting the weights back up.

I can't imagine what I would have been able to do with them if my knee was feeling 100%. It's going to be VERY hard to stop myself from using them when I'm feeling at my best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom