• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Today I started the routine in the OP:

Monday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Bench Press - 3 sets of 5
Deadlifts - 1 set of 5
Pull-Ups - 3 sets of 8-15

Wednesday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Overhead Press - 3 sets of 5
Power Cleans - 5 sets of 3
Abdominal work (Crunches on decline bench, Side bends with heavy weight, Hanging Leg Raises, Ab roll wheel are a few suggestions)

Friday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Bench Press - 3 sets of 5
Deadlift - 1 set of 5
Bent Over Rows - 3 set of 5
Arm work, if desired (Barbell or Dumbbell Curls, Lying Tricep Extension, Dips, Cable Pulldown are a few suggestions)
For the abdominal work and arm work, what reps and sets would be advised? I've done Crunches, Hanging Heg Raises, Curls, Tricep Extensions, Dips and others before.

Also, I'm not sure I'm doing Deadlifts right. I've never felt like I do. :\ Any videos/tips to ensure correct form?

Fox318

*** SQUAT CHEAT MODE ACTIVATED ***

lol. One of the ligaments in my left knee was hurting today, and I noticed it quite a bit on my warm up sets so I figured rather than just skipping the full weight I'd try out my knee sleeves (I've only previously used them as shin protection for deadlifts)...

...good god those things are cheat mode. I wrecked my previous personal best and then went on for some AMRAP on my final set. More than that, my form was excellent, whereas on my previous best I was barely getting the weights back up.

I can't imagine what I would have been able to do with them if my knee was feeling 100%. It's going to be VERY hard to stop myself from using them when I'm feeling at my best.
Don't knee sleves help prevent injury?

GrapeApes

*** SQUAT CHEAT MODE ACTIVATED ***

lol. One of the ligaments in my left knee was hurting today, and I noticed it quite a bit on my warm up sets so I figured rather than just skipping the full weight I'd try out my knee sleeves (I've only previously used them as shin protection for deadlifts)...

...good god those things are cheat mode. I wrecked my previous personal best and then went on for some AMRAP on my final set. More than that, my form was excellent, whereas on my previous best I was barely getting the weights back up.

I can't imagine what I would have been able to do with them if my knee was feeling 100%. It's going to be VERY hard to stop myself from using them when I'm feeling at my best.
Why were you not using your sleeves to begin with? Only time I don't put my sleeves on is if I'm squatting light.

Why were you not using your sleeves to begin with? Only time I don't put my sleeves on is if I'm squatting light.

Because there's no need to at the weights I'm doing, and my knees are relatively healthy. Same for a belt. When the time comes then maybe I'll switch, but that time isn't now.

As for injury, there's some argument that you should only really rely on sleeves if you're already injured (or have been in the past), not if you have otherwise healthy knees. There's also evidence out there that using sleeves can actually cause injuries and weaker knees over time. So yeah... certainly don't want to rely on them.

entremet

I don't use sleeves or belts. Doesn't make sense until you start hitting big numbers.

I see dudes using belts while squatting 135.

Wut?!

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
You guys use sleeves? I dunno, seems a tad hardcore for me personally, but i thought that about a gym belt too...
Not that the sleeves help my torn ACL but I feel better squatting and DLing heavy with them on. Keeps things warm and gives me a small mental boost.

GrapeApes

You guys use sleeves? I dunno, seems a tad hardcore for me personally, but i thought that about a gym belt too...
My gym bag consists of my belt, chalk, knee sleeves, sqauat shoes, and Chucks. I might start using wrist wraps too. If you trying to be the strongest you then guess you got to go hardcore.

ILoveBish

As for injury, there's some argument that you should only really rely on sleeves if you're already injured (or have been in the past), not if you have otherwise healthy knees. There's also evidence out there that using sleeves can actually cause injuries and weaker knees over time. So yeah... certainly don't want to rely on them.

Interesting, any links to read up on injury using them?

I don't use sleeves or belts. Doesn't make sense until you start hitting big numbers.

I see dudes using belts while squatting 135.

Wut?!

I've seen dudes put on a belt then begin to curl in the squat rack. Its amazing in a way.

Not that the sleeves help my torn ACL but I feel better squatting and DLing heavy with them on. Keeps things warm and gives me a small mental boost.

Gotcha. Hmm, i've never been injured so i've never even thought about picking up a set. Do you use them during warmup reps also or just on the working sets?

My gym bag consists of my belt, chalk, knee sleeves, sqauat shoes, and Chucks. I might start using wrist wraps too. If you trying to be the strongest you then guess you got to go hardcore.

I have the same minus the knee sleeves. I just never use anything other then my liquid chalk (only for working sets, warm up reps are just normal grip) and my gym belt (same as the chalk, only on working sets, never use them for warm up). I'll have to look more into them. Might be something for black friday. I desperately need a dip belt too, along with a proper gym belt (inzer baby).

Cooter

Gotcha. Hmm, i've never been injured so i've never even thought about picking up a set. Do you use them during warmup reps also or just on the working sets?
Yup. I put them on right when I get there along with my shoes.

JoeNut

Today I started the routine in the OP:

For the abdominal work and arm work, what reps and sets would be advised? I've done Crunches, Hanging Heg Raises, Curls, Tricep Extensions, Dips and others before.

Also, I'm not sure I'm doing Deadlifts right. I've never felt like I do. : Any videos/tips to ensure correct form?

Hey, ab work I generally do till failure, but if it's easier to aim for a number just round up once it's tough, so if you start struggling after 15 sit ups, do 20, then 2 more sets after.

Deadlift, there was a great video posted about 3 pages back which helps with form, I really enjoy deadlift because it'll generally be the heaviest weight you can lift

Its an excellent program. Try it as is with 1 extra accessory per day for a few weeks. If that feels too light, pop in and let me know.

For accessories, try 3 sets of 8 to 12 reps for (day 1) paused incline db press, (day 2) heavy farmer walks to improve your grip strength and 3 sets of 8 to 12 reps for (day 3) lat pull-down to stengthen the muscles needed for pull ups.

Otherwise, follow the program religiously.

IMO for strength include 1 strength based accessory (3-5 rep range) and 1-2 hypertrophy/prehab (8-20 rep range) except if you're pressing twice a week, in that case 2-3 hypertrophy based assistance and no additional strength accessory.

That's just me though.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions, guys. I hurt my leg recently, so I can't start the full routine, yet.

Actually, I'd like to know what you all think of my injury.

I suffer from gout, but never had it in the knees before. But this past weekend my leg got so stiff and filled with fluid and hurt worse than anything I've ever felt. I can put pressure on it, can touch the knee and behind the knee without it hurting, but if I bend my knees then it hurts or if I try to do a squat it hurts.

I took some gout medicine and it feels a million times better, now, but it still hurts when I squat (no weights) and I still can't bend it all the way. Don't have time till the weekend to go to the doctors. It feels like something is in between my kneecap and the rest of the knee, and i can't straighten it all the way while standing. I didn't do any exercising last week, just a lot of walking. Maybe 2 miles per day walking around. Also stood on public transportation, rarely ever sit now so that I can still burn some calories.

Any help on figuring this out would be great. I looked it up and symptoms sound like a torn ACL, but I don't think i'd be able to squat and come back up if that were it.

sphinx

the piano man
can you people please post a picture or brand name of the knee sleeves you are talking about??

there are different knee sleeves for different purposes, I'd like to buy those that are meant to be used for squatting (deadlifting too?)

JoeNut

i have a sleeve for my right ankle due to ligament damage i did years ago, but im unsure it actually helps. i got a new PB on squat yesterday without using it

I've used a weight belt for squats now that I'm lifting heavy. I was told that its useful once you start lifting over 2 plates on each side. It has been immensely helpful in keeping my form in check during my lifts. I also got some wrist wraps too that I haven't used, but will start now because my wrists are starting to hinder the lifts.

bchamba

I wear sleeves every squat session. You can wear them in competition so practice how you play. Even if you're sized for large SBDs or STrong sleeves (two stiffest knee sleeves) and you go with a smaller size for a tight fit I don't think it's possible for them to add more than 10-15 lbs to your squat. They can't give you support like knee wraps do.

I'd say more than that. The difference was night and day for me. Easily 20lbs worth, maybe more once if I got used to how they feel. Was like a springboard out of the hole.

JoeNut

i seem to have a bit of a hip wiggle when i squat sometimes, it's hard to explain. i wonder if a belt would sort this?

although i don't think i lift enough for this to really be an issue yet i suppose.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
I wear sleeves every squat session. You can wear them in competition so practice how you play. Even if you're sized for large SBDs or STrong sleeves (two stiffest knee sleeves) and you go with a smaller size for a tight fit I don't think it's possible for them to add more than 10-15 lbs to your squat. They can't give you support like knee wraps do.

Sold damnit. My gym bag will soon be stuffed to overflowing.

It's so hard to tell how much stronger I'm getting with all the technique and gear improvements I've done this year.

Did the 205 x 5 x 3 squat yesterday. Was slow, but cleared through it, getting close to 2 plates now.

Failed on the 195 x 5 x 3 benchpress, only did 4, 3 and 2 reps, but I'm pretty sure the problem was that I had sweaty hands, and the bar was slipping, grip was the issue.

I'll get myself some liquid grip for my next session and I'm pretty sure I can at least get close to clearing it.

I also wear knee sleeves when lifting, I have weak knees and they start hurting after only a few squatting sessions.

I use these: http://ca.bodybuilding.com/store/sck/kneesleeves.html

Szu

Well, I saw my doctor yesterday. I guess my age might be catching up with me.

It seems I've got issues with high blood pressure. The doctor recommended that I take the 24 hr urine test. The results of that test showed high levels of protein in my urine.

Elevated levels of protein in urine could be a result of strenuous exercise. It could also be a sign of potential kidney damage. When I was younger, I probably would have just written this off. But I'm not taking any chances now, especially as a dad now.

I'll be taking some medication to reduce the high blood pressure. In terms of diet, I try to reduce my salt intake. Exercise should remain the same, but I'll probably increase the amount of low impact cardio.

While all of this is nothing of major concern, I'm going to try my best to keep it that way.

BumRush

It seems I've got issues with high blood pressure. The doctor recommended that I take the 24 hr urine test. The results of that test showed high levels of protein in my urine.

Elevated levels of protein in urine could be a result of strenuous exercise. It could also be a sign of potential kidney damage. When I was younger, I probably would have just written this off. But I'm not taking any chances now, especially as a dad now.

I'll be taking some medication to reduce the high blood pressure. In terms of diet, I try to reduce my salt intake. Exercise should remain the same, but I'll probably increase the amount of low impact cardio.

While all of this is nothing of major concern, I'm going to try my best to keep it that way.

DUDE, I literally had BOTH of the things you mentioned. The protein in the urine thing is what it is. As for the HBP, there are so many things I did to reduce it and never ended up needing medicine (mine was 150+ / 90+ for a little bit and is down in the 120-130/70 range now). PM me if you want to chat.

Mugaaz

I war sleeves every session. They do not cause any injuries. It's a slight increase in warmth and mild compression. Really helps warming up the knee and keeping it warm. In regards to how much weight it adds, who cares? You can use sleeves in virtually every fed, so why does it matter? I wouldn't train in competition tight sleeves, they are easy to put on and take off.

Azulsky

For squats most folks I know only consider wraps to be 'cheating' because they are put on tight and they do spring you back up out of the hole a bit. They also can make the patella grind a bit on the joint due to the tightness.

Sleeves just give a bit of compression.

Szu

DUDE, I literally had BOTH of the things you mentioned. The protein in the urine thing is what it is. As for the HBP, there are so many things I did to reduce it and never ended up needing medicine (mine was 150+ / 90+ for a little bit and is down in the 120-130/70 range now). PM me if you want to chat.

Thanks, man. Sent you some.

Got a rep at 315 lbs flat bench yesterday. Fucking fantastic. While I have repped it before, it was when I was around 270. Did it at 235 lbs. Yeah baybay.

damn, I'm sure it will all work out!

Well, if everyone here seems to think that sleeves are ok then fuck it, I might as well give them a go for a while. I'm not going to argue with 20 more lbs for free.

Unrelated, was just looking around for deadlift assistance exercises, and I thought his one from Ed Coan was quite interesting: https://youtu.be/-febRoO0gG0?t=520

SeanR1221

Being sick sucks. Coughing up chunks of mucus, constantly sneezing, puffy eyes...and no gym :/

Szu, hope things work out. Keep us updated man.

mkenyon

Banned
Being sick sucks. Coughing up chunks of mucus, constantly sneezing, puffy eyes...and no gym :/

Szu, hope things work out. Keep us updated man.
Must've been the Britney outfit.
Got a new article out:

Starting bodybuilding (basically picking the program as a beginner, might update this if needed)

Also the previous one in case you missed it:
Why you need to make your diet more enjoyable
Optimal Protein Intake
Subbed and shared on FB.

ILoveBish

39 hours into this 72 hour fast, feel great. Today is the first time I lift while on a extended fast. It's either ohp or squats depending on if the cage is clear or not. Will be at the 41 hour mark once I hit the gym today. I feel very strong, so we'll see. Going to be very light on the lifts anyway.

39 hours into this 72 hour fast, feel great. Today is the first time I lift while on a extended fast. It's either ohp or squats depending on if the cage is clear or not. Will be at the 41 hour mark once I hit the gym today. I feel very strong, so we'll see. Going to be very light on the lifts anyway.

How often can you do those fasts and do they work well? Don't you lost muscle doing this?

ILoveBish

How often can you do those fasts and do they work well? Don't you lost muscle doing this?

This is my 5th or 6th time. There is no muscle loss at all. In fact your body builds HGH while fasting for extended periods. I love doing them because it helps me take control over food. YMMV.

BumRush

When you say fast do you mean complete fasting?

Bish doesn't look at or smell food during his fasts for fear of carb/calorie contamination. I literally have no idea how he does it and have tried to get him to stop but it's working for him and he's happy.

His new girlfriend is going to put an end to it though once she starts cooking.

ILoveBish

Once a week? Once a month?

Edit: Any noticeable fat loss?

Fat loss? Absolutely. I was doing it once a month but now that I'm dating it's much tougher to schedule.

When you say fast do you mean complete fasting?

Water/coffee only.

Bish your fasts scare me

They are scary if you dive in head first. I took a long time to work up to this level.

Bish doesn't look at or smell food during his fasts for fear of carb/calorie contamination. I literally have no idea how he does it and have tried to get him to stop but it's working for him and he's happy.

His new girlfriend is going to put an end to it though once she starts cooking.

I'm going to be cooking her meals for her. She's just going to eat and get thin.

Cooter

All you people are making one huge assumption that has flawed your thinking: Bish isn't 100% homosapian. His no eating race is the future!

After failing last cycle's 1s week on both OHP and Squat, I dropped my training max back for all four lifts to what they were at three cycles ago. I'm feeling good about the difference it makes in my AMRAP set. I even feel like it gives me a better sense of progress. Five months ago, I struggled to squat 315 twice. Today, I did 300 for 9 and felt very solid. Next week, my 3s set is 315 and I ought to be able to get 7. I'm excited for that. I sure didn't do numbers like that three cycles ago.

Point being, I was feeling kinda reluctant to recycle on 5/3/1 but now that I've done it I'm very happy. I already feel like I've busted the plateau, and I'm just waiting for three cycles from now to see how much I busted it.

Szu

All you people are making one huge assumption that has flawed your thinking: Bish isn't 100% homosapian. His no eating race is the future!

Bish doesn't need food to sustain himself. He lives off the energy of all the non-believers.

He's like one of those sexy space vampires from the movie Lifeforce.

Cooter

Bish doesn't need food to sustain himself. He lives off the energy of all the non-believers.

He's like one of those sexy space vampires from the movie Lifeforce.
This man has come to terms with our new ruling family. I suggest everyone else do the same. Once this marriage is finalized and the Bish clan begins to rule you will have little choice.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'm hoping you guys can help me, I found an old barbell and weight set in storage (York) but I'm missing whatever holds the weights onto the bar, and I'm having trouble finding what I need on Amazon as I don't know anything about weight lifting.

This is what I have:

KuQH6ix.jpg

I found the same set on Gumtree just in a different colour, the black thing on the barbell is what I'm missing, and whatever goes on the end:

I have red spin locks for the dumbells but they don't fit the barbell. And I'm missing the 2 black bits in the middle entirely.

3phemeral

The gym just added a super thin barbell that seems to wander from machine to machine. I find it's easier on my palms for decline bench press but when it's at the deadlift rack - man, it's a pain. Especially when the gym is packed at you don't have the opportunity to switch out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom