• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TripOpt55

Mostly a lurker here, but figured I'd check in. I have been trying to cut my bodyfat down. I think last time I posted I was at around 197-8 pounds. I am down around 191-192. Lost about 15 pounds overall. More importantly I look much better. Like when I sit down my stomach doesn't bunch up like it used to. The past couple weeks I have been stuck around the same weight, so I think I need to tweak my diet a bit again perhaps. Hoping to get to around 185 by Christmas. See how that looks and then maybe lose some more.

On the workout side I started doing weighted pull-ups for the first time. I have always loved doing weighted dips, so these have been fun. Haven't added much weight yet, but I look forward to seeing how I can progress with them.

TTOOLL

So, I did Crossfit today and I loved it! I felt challenged and it felt good, damn good! I'm destroyed as haven't been in a long time.

Why did I try it today? Because as some of you pointed here a few pages back, my gym is one that is not well equipped for squat and deadlift, most free weight exercises actually. So I went to this place today, they have Olympic bars and weights, cages for squat and etc.

I'll stay there for a month or 2 and see the results. =D

BumRush

Mr Muscle looking shredded per usual!!

Mostly a lurker here, but figured I'd check in. I have been trying to cut my bodyfat down. I think last time I posted I was at around 197-8 pounds. I am down around 191-192. Lost about 15 pounds overall. More importantly I look much better. Like when I sit down my stomach doesn't bunch up like it used to. The past couple weeks I have been stuck around the same weight, so I think I need to tweak my diet a bit again perhaps. Hoping to get to around 185 by Christmas. See how that looks and then maybe lose some more.

On the workout side I started doing weighted pull-ups for the first time. I have always loved doing weighted dips, so these have been fun. Haven't added much weight yet, but I look forward to seeing how I can progress with them.

Nice work man! Congrats and keep it up!

So, I did Crossfit today and I loved it! I felt challenged and it felt good, damn good! I'm destroyed as haven't been in a long time.

Why did I try it today? Because as some of you pointed here a few pages back, my gym is one that is not well equipped for squat and deadlift, most free weight exercises actually. So I went to this place today, they have Olympic bars and weights, cages for squat and etc.

I'll stay there for a month or 2 and see the results. =D

Glad you're happy man. Crossfit can be excellent just remember that your body knows when it should stop. Some CF gyms stress volume at the expense of form, and there's a reason Crossfitters get hurt a lot.

My buddy is a physical therapist (for ~15 years now) and he said that his industry exploded when CF came around. Just be careful.

GrizzNKev

Banned
What program? 12 / 12, 16 / 8, etc.?

16/8 seems doable. Should I jump right in and do it daily, or should I only do it occasionally at first. Are there any major risks? My current eating pattern has me usually doing 4-5 small meals throughout the day. I'm 6'1, 169 lbs, cutting at 1500 cals per day on a 40p/30c/30f macro split.

BumRush

16/8 seems doable. Should I jump right in and do it daily, or should I only do it occasionally at first. Are there any major risks? My current eating pattern has me usually doing 4-5 small meals throughout the day. I'm 6'1, 169 lbs, cutting at 1500 cals per day on a 40p/30c/30f macro split.

I'd defer to Cooter, Bish or one of the other IF guys but try 16/8 for 6 days with a moderate cheat day (1800-2000 cals total maybe) 1x a week. Try that for a couple weeks and see how it goes.

To be clear, when you do IF you're still going to eat 1500 cals, right?

When you start, do it for two weeks with no breaks. It's the best way to adapt. Those two weeks will SUCK, but after that it'll be like second nature.

Calories / macros are whatever suits your needs. Some do it low carb, some just eat to a calorie / protein target. Would definitely a consider a higher calorie day from time to time for hormone / muscle retention reasons though.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I'd defer to Cooter, Bish or one of the other IF guys but try 16/8 for 6 days with a moderate cheat day (1800-2000 cals total maybe) 1x a week. Try that for a couple weeks and see how it goes.

To be clear, when you do IF you're still going to eat 1500 cals, right?

Yes.

When you start, do it for two weeks with no breaks. It's the best way to adapt. Those two weeks will SUCK, but after that it'll be like second nature.

Calories / macros are whatever suits your needs. Some do it low carb, some just eat to a calorie / protein target. Would definitely a consider a higher calorie day from time to time for hormone / muscle retention reasons though.

This all sounds like great advice. Thanks guys, I'm excited to make this change.

GrizzNKev

Banned
That's a pretty light weight to be cutting at. What are you cutting for?

I'm mostly fat. I've got a belly that I'm looking to get rid of. I don't have any intention of getting big. I want to drop to 150, then bulk back to 170 through careful eating and lifting. Even at my height, my genetics have given me a relatively small frame. My brother is taller then me, but much thinner and not much stronger. I feel comfortable in this choice. I'm definitely too heavy for my current lifting ability.

If you saw pictues of me, you'd understand.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Drink plenty of water to get you through the initial hunger you will encounter. Not that you should stop drinking a lot of water as you adapt but intially it will help ease the transition. Jump right into IF. There's no need to wait. If you can lift weights at the end of your fast and eat after that would be optimal. Good luck!

I'm mostly fat. I've got a belly that I'm looking to get rid of. I don't have any intention of getting big. I want to drop to 150, then bulk back to 170 through careful eating and lifting. Even at my height, my genetics have given me a relatively small frame. My brother is taller then me, but much thinner and not much stronger. I feel comfortable in this choice. I'm definitely too heavy for my current lifting ability.

Well, you should understand that if you put on some muscle first the cutting would be easier, and you'd lose some fat in the process. Dropping to 150 at 6'1" seems like a terrible idea.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Well, you should understand that if you put on some muscle first the cutting would be easier, and you'd lose some fat in the process. Dropping to 150 at 6'1" seems like a terrible idea.

I have already gone through a cycle of cutting and bulking over the course of this year.

I have a pool of collected fat attached to my waistline from a lifetime of poor eating and no exercise that I put a stop to at the start of this year. The rest of my body looks fine, maybe even good. But I'm hesitant to gain weight again because that waist fat feels like a losing battle and something I need to combat with a lifestyle change. When I read that IF is helpful for getting rid of fat that's been around for a while, it seemed like the right solution.

I know myself and what my body can take. If anything seems bad, I'll stop.

Cooter

Just a heads up, this almost never works. It's hard enough to put on muscle with reckless eating and heavy lifting. Trying to do it carefully, which I assume means with minimal fat gain, is extremely difficult and it usually ends with months and months of spinning your wheels with nothing tangible to show for it.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Just a heads up, this almost never works. It's hard enough to put on muscle with reckless eating and heavy lifting. Trying to do it carefully, which I assume means with minimal fat gain, is extremely difficult and it usually ends with months and months of spinning your wheels with nothing tangible to show for it.

Makes sense. My first bulk worked well through reckless eating. I got much stronger, but I found myself upset with the fat gain attached. I guess it's just a reality I need to accept. I'm still a super noob at this, so anything dumb I say comes from a lack of experience.

Fox318

New pr for squats

265 5x5

Its really draining but I'm managing to keep form.

Makes deadlifts later on in the day tough. For the first time I'm having problems with grip.

BumRush

New pr for squats

265 5x5

Its really draining but I'm managing to keep form.

Makes deadlifts later on in the day tough. For the first time I'm having problems with grip.

Congrats on the PR!

Why do you wait until later in the day to do DL after you've squatted? Probably a little counter intuitive since they use similar muscle groups.

Fox318

Congrats on the PR!

Why do you wait until later in the day to do DL after you've squatted? Probably a little counter intuitive since they use similar muscle groups.
The stronglifts program I've been using simply has deadlifts as part of the program.

Like today I did
Squat

45x10
135x5
185x3
225x2
265x5x5

Overhead press

135x5
135x5
135x5
135x2
135x0

Deadlift

135x5
185x5
225x5
275x2

I had wanted to try a heavier deadlift put I was so gassed. Usually I try and add some pushups and pull ups but I cut it short today.

I think I'm gonna change my program up somehow. I'm getting results but for the upper body stuff like bench press and overhead press I feel like I'm hitting a wall.

Cooter

Ok... For real doe. It's on now! #InBrolicWeTrust

zHCuNqC.jpg

Canon

Banned
Anyone have any good tips on getting a tighter ass? Lunges and squats I've already figured.

I'm 5'11 and 140 pounds, trying to gain weight and muscle. Lift weights for about 30 minutes a day and do some push ups. My diet consists of 3 eggs in the morning, 6" sub at lunch, steak stir fry + rice for supper, and an assortment of other random meat like ham and sausage and whatever.

despire

Eating slow is a bit of bs right? I hope. lol

Because I've been eating fast. And I just devoured my last meal lol. I was hungry from workout and loved it.

Bs how? If you have problems with satiety, eating slow can help as the stretching of stomach is the first signal for your brain that you are full. If you eat super fast, you can eat more food before your brain notices that you've eaten enough. If you eat slow, you can't devour as much food before feeling full.

Depends on your needs and goals.

I meant I thought it's bad for your health since I'd heard the phrase many times before.

Yeah, most I see is that it can lead you to overeat (which I knew). But my meals are done with the calory amount in mind.

I don't know, I've always been a fast eater, even when I'm losing weight. lol

despire

I meant I thought it's bad for your health since I'd heard the phrase many times before.

Yeah, most I see is that it can lead you to overeat (which I knew). But my meals are done with the calory amount in mind.

I don't know, I've always been a fast eater, even when I'm losing weight. lol

Sounds like momscience to me but if you don't chew, it might digest worse I guess..

ILoveBish

Broke my fast at around 71 hours, I was going to wait, but I had a sudden date and didn't have time to get ready and wait for eating. So I just ate about 700 calories of chicken shawarma, 630 calories of pecans, my coffee with almond milk and creatine, so roughly 1360 calories. Then I ate a Mexican omelet at the beach, no clue on calories, maybe 800-1k.

Ended up walking 13k+ steps at the beach, and had one of the best dates I've ever had in my life. Seriously enjoying myself and her. Things are getting more serious, we're soon going to meet each other family's.

Ok... For real doe. It's on now! #InBrolicWeTrust

Funnily enough, I've been doing something similar... but with peppermint and menthol.

#likeinhalingaforest

I'm also tempted to try blue spruce oil for the testosterone boost: http://www.precisionnutrition.com/what-do-the-data-really-say-about-essential-oils

I can just give you a random number, it will be as useful as BMI

Ignoring the fact that it's useless, why would anyone need to go to a gym to get that number? It's trivial to work out.

Faiz

Had a pretty major cheat weekend from Friday to Sunday. Was 167.4 Friday morning, surprisingly only 170 Monday morning. Back to 167.4 today, exactly 3 weeks before thanksgiving, 2.5 lbs to go to hit my goal.

BumRush

The stronglifts program I've been using simply has deadlifts as part of the program.

Like today I did
Squat

45x10
135x5
185x3
225x2
265x5x5

Overhead press

135x5
135x5
135x5
135x2
135x0

Deadlift

135x5
185x5
225x5
275x2

I had wanted to try a heavier deadlift put I was so gassed. Usually I try and add some pushups and pull ups but I cut it short today.

I think I'm gonna change my program up somehow. I'm getting results but for the upper body stuff like bench press and overhead press I feel like I'm hitting a wall.

Ah, you said "later in the day" which I assumed didn't mean "in the same workout". My bad, you're fine. As for your point about being gassed, how many days a week do you lift?

BumRush

Broke my fast at around 71 hours, I was going to wait, but I had a sudden date and didn't have time to get ready and wait for eating. So I just ate about 700 calories of chicken shawarma, 630 calories of pecans, my coffee with almond milk and creatine, so roughly 1360 calories. Then I ate a Mexican omelet at the beach, no clue on calories, maybe 800-1k.

Ended up walking 13k+ steps at the beach, and had one of the best dates I've ever had in my life. Seriously enjoying myself and her. Things are getting more serious, we're soon going to meet each other family's.

Great to hear you're enjoying yourself bud. Really happy for you.

Anyone have any good tips on getting a tighter ass? Lunges and squats I've already figured.

I'm 5'11 and 140 pounds, trying to gain weight and muscle. Lift weights for about 30 minutes a day and do some push ups. My diet consists of 3 eggs in the morning, 6" sub at lunch, steak stir fry + rice for supper, and an assortment of other random meat like ham and sausage and whatever.

To be clear, we're talking about getting a firmer external ass, correct...like you want nicer glutes? Heavy squats, DL, good mornings, power cleans, etc. will do wonders for you. Additionally, you could follow someone like Jen Selter on insta, and do what she does in the privacy of your house, but don't let your friends find out.

Ultimately, you'll need to put on weight to have a better ass, though.

Going for my first run in 3 weeks @.@ moving to Japan threw my routine off by a lot... hope I don't get lost/passout after 10 minutes lol. Though there is something energizing about exercising in the middle of the night.

despire

Barbell Hip Thrust and Glute Bridges are the best. I'd recommend hitting them hard.

Also look up Bret Contreras' stuff. He is probably the biggest authority on the ass in the fitness scene.

SeanR1221

Just wanted to share a progress update.

So I started losing weight in February to look better for the summer. That morphed into keep losing weight for my trip to Vegas. I'm leaving for Vegas first thing tomorrow morning, so here are the final results.

From 228 to 191. 9 months of dieting (with two maintenance phases thrown in). What a difference. I look and feel like a totally different person.

I'm not exactly sure where to go after Vegas. We'll see :)

Question on accessories...

I remember reading in here that many people mix them up a bit, but I'm wondering, if you only care about improving particular lifts (at the moment), is there much point rotating them / swapping them out that much?

For instance, say I only cared about bench at the moment, would it be generally advantageous to just do bench related accessories every lifting day, or is that not going to work out for some reason or another? For me at the moment it's pretty much all shoulders and chest work, leaving the rest of my body to be handled by the compounds.

Assuming I don't really care about progressing my deadlift / squat particularly quickly (they're both pretty good compared to my upper body stuff), is there any (other) major disadvantage to doing this?

Fox318

Ah, you said "later in the day" which I assumed didn't mean "in the same workout". My bad, you're fine. As for your point about being gassed, how many days a week do you lift?
3 to 4 days I lift. Off days I will do some ab and upper body work plus cardio.

Guys, I want to get an ass!

I've lost a lot already and my skin is looking terrible, so I need to build muscle to hide some of it. That's part of why I'm eating more on the days I work out. I've realized that losing weight is just not enough.

despire

So I started losing weight in February to look better for the summer. That morphed into keep losing weight for my trip to Vegas. I'm leaving for Vegas first thing tomorrow morning, so here are the final results.

From 228 to 191. 9 months of dieting (with two maintenance phases thrown in). What a difference. I look and feel like a totally different person.

Awesome progress :)

keep leaning out and try the bb/aesthetic side of things.

it is fun, trust me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom