• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, that was a shit session and then some. As well as not being able to lift shit, I seem to have obtained a new type of shoulder injury that I haven't had before... the muscle at the front of the shoulder was particularly painful on a few things there. Really hoping that's just a temporary thing as I've had to modify my workout for ages now to avoid any shoulder issues.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
For me it's:

1A-Weighted pull ups, heavy pendlays, shrugs
2A-Heavy Squats, Box squats, GHRs
3A-Heavy OHP, raises, light tris
4A-Heavy Bench, heavy incline DB, light bis
5A-Light squats, light DL, GHRs
1B-BW pull ups, light Pendlays, shrugs
2B-Heavy DL, trap bar DL, GHRs
3B-Light OHP, raises, heavy tris
4B-Light Bench, light incline DB, heavy bis
5B-Light deficit DL, light box squats, GHRs

Cooter

Hmmm. With holiday hours and long work days my deadlift had sorta taken a back seat lately. Hit it today and 455x3 was extremely difficult. Well that blows.

ILoveBish

Half way to being sick. Got good sleep but man, body aches. It's deload week, so I might still go in just to get some stuff in. Issue is the new years resolutionists. Scared of what's going to happen when I get in there. Hopefully this is last year I'll have to go to a public gym and hopefully be part of the home gym master race by next year.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Oh, programming talk?

Monday: SSB squat, Good mornings, Front squats
Tuesday: Strict log press (superset with band face pulls), Bradford press, snatch grip high pull, dips, 3 way raises.
Wednesday: prowler push/pull
Thursday: deadlift, barbell row, Coan style straight leg deadlifts, pull-ups.
Friday: bench, incline bench, barbell curls.
Saturday: event training.

bchamba

Brolic what's the reason you don't do lowbar or highbar squats and do push/pull instead of full meets? Not enough carryover from those to your event lifts?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Brolic what's the reason you don't do lowbar or highbar squats and do push/pull instead of full meets? Not enough carryover from those to your event lifts?

Two reasons, squat is almost never a strongman event and while I'm better at powerlifting than strongman, strongman is my passion and two, my squat compared to the other two lifts is horrible.

Bonus answer, my left shoulder is prepetually fubar and getting under a bar is torture.

On that note. 355x5 SSB today. First week back heavy.

http://youtu.be/kdVeVqRlCLA

marmoka

Banned
Good evening FitGaf!

I went to the gym after lunch. I was expecting it would be pretty crowded, when normally by that time of the day is nearly empty. There were more people than usual, the cardio area was nearly full. Fortunately there weren't so many people in the weights area, I could train chest today without any problems. I hope it does not get more crowded these days.

By the way, I read in a Spanish site a proposal to reduce some body fat and gain performance. It's called 10-20-30. You must do cardio at low intensity for 30 seconds, then go up to high intensity for 20 seconds, and finally 10 seconds in very high intensity. Once you're done, you must start again. This process is done 5 times in 5 minutes. Then you must stay in low intensity for 1 minute. You must repeat this process again. Total 12 minutes.

As you see, you go from low to high intensity in just a minute. Let's see how this works. Does any of you guys ever tryed this? Or something similar?

mkenyon

Banned
What the hell was that? It's hilarious!! XD
There's a Broscience Life video for every gym situation. For Bros.

I haven't been during peak hours to mine yet, I went there last night right as the Seahawks game ended. Gym was totally empty.

We'll see what it looks like tonight.

It does make me sad that people conflate exercise with weight loss. Sure, it helps, but get your diet on point before you make yourself starving by slaving away on an eliptical for an hour. I was one of those people for awhile until I understood that. All about diet.

They'll hit the gym for a month, see almost no results, and quit.

kai3345

Banned
What's a good place to get started as far as personal fitness? I'm a slender guy looking to bulk up just a bit.

I've started doing pushups and plan on starting running this week. Are there any good apps/guides that can direct one step by step to getting a good workout routine going? I've downloaded the Couch to 5k app to help guide my runs, is there anything like that for other exercises?

mkenyon

Banned
What's a good place to get started as far as personal fitness? I'm a slender guy looking to bulk up just a bit.

I've started doing pushups and plan on starting running this week. Are there any good apps/guides that can direct one step by step to getting a good workout routine going? I've downloaded the Couch to 5k app to help guide my runs, is there anything like that for other exercises?
I kind of hate to be that guy, but there is tons of this sort of info in the OP.

Are you looking to do strength training in addition to cardio? Is this for weight loss? Is it for general fitness? What are your goals?
You don't use a rack/cage?
#YOLO

ILoveBish

First thing I saw at the gym was some dude doing 1/8th squats. Day 1 and they're there. Dumbbells were all over the gym, nothing in its place. I got lucky and got the cage tho. Just deload week so nothing to speak about. Felt very good to squat deep without hearing my shorts rip. Will take some time to break in these shorts. They're a tad tight.

bchamba

Failing reps drains your CNS so you should be minimizing the amount of times you fail when training otherwise future training sessions can suffer.

Did sets of 10 on squats today for the first time ever. Only used 65% of my max but it still killed me. Got 3 sets of 10 then split the last set into two sets of 5. My chest and lungs were on fire.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Failing reps drains your CNS so you should be minimizing the amount of times you fail when training otherwise future training sessions can suffer.

Did sets of 10 on squats today for the first time ever. Only used 65% of my max but it still killed me. Got 3 sets of 10 then split the last set into two sets of 5. My chest and lungs were on fire.

Just get some CNS fluid and top er off.

mdsfx

I feel like people would, more often than not, use this as an excuse to not push themselves.

Also, "failure" is defined as what? And "too much" failure is determined how?

SeanR1221

Looking in the mirror I need to do delts more. My arms look like tubes, I want that delt pop. Since I'm finally comfortable doing shoulders again it's time to start hitting them.

bchamba

I feel like people would, more often than not, use this as an excuse to not push themselves.

Also, failure is defined as what? And too much failure = ?

I think it's more applicable in low rep maxes. Like if you jokered up to 305 for 1 rep on a squat and then try for 315 and fail then it would have been better to cut it at 305. Outside of a competition I would ideally not like to fail any reps. If your program is based off correct maxes you probably wouldn't be running into situations where you might fail outside of an AMRAP set.

Also depends on your training philosophy. Jeremy Hamilton holds the 220 world record total in wraps and avoids grindy lifts in training and on the platform. It looks like he never goes past an RPE 8.

Tried benching on the power rack for safety because last time I was alone and almost crushed myself, but the safety bars can be set either too high or too low. I guess I will need to find me some spotters or at least not bench when there is no one to save me

Also, "failure" is defined as what? And "too much" failure is determined how?
In my training, a failed rep is a rep you can't do with perfect form. Without a spotter it is still possible to recruit extra muscles through posture to help get a failed rep back to the rack.

I don't go there though. Fucking your shit up for "one more rep" is no bueno.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Barbell bench for the first time in six months. Wrist hurt, shoulder hurt. Back to Dumbbells? We'll see how I respond next time.

Wulfric

Breezed through all the lifts today. Had some cake and played Bayonetta 2. At this rate, I should hit 225 on my squat this Friday. Just having two 45s on each side feels like a big step for me.

Squats: 215 lbs, 5x5
Bench: 110 lbs, 5x5
Barbell Row: 110 lbs, 5x5

I'm also doing real pic January, I guess. Hey guys. :p

Try filling out the template in the OP to give us something to go off of. It's a decent read too, imo. "Bulk up" is kind of a vague term. Are you trying to get in shape for a sport, run a marathon, or something else? You'll get several different answers depending on what your goal is and how quickly you want to proceed.

Had a mixed session today after only getting like 4 hours sleep. I'm on holidays atm so I've been going to the random gym down the road. Built up to my max squats but could only manage 1 full set before I dropped the weight a bit. Then on Bench I did all my sets at my current max, and I think I could have managed to bump it up another 2.5kg.

The issue is, what do you do when you're at your max on Bench and trying to increase. It's kind of a scary exercise to push to your limits, as in you can't really bail. Should I just ask a random to spot me just incase? I don't want anyone to touch the bar unless I'm totally stuffed, I find most people go to reach the bar well before you're in trouble.

First world problems :)

JoeNut

Thought there'd be tons of newbies in after work yesterday but it wasn't too bad, I was one of them this time last year though so I shouldn't complain really. Hadn't been for nearly 2 weeks due to Xmas breaks and my gym flooding again (England) but felt pretty good, aching today mind

Sutton, ask for a random to spot you, I do it a lot and nobody has ever said no

In my training, a failed rep is a rep you can't do with perfect form. Without a spotter it is still possible to recruit extra muscles through posture to help get a failed rep back to the rack.
Ha, that would be most of my reps then I'm afraid. I'm always up around the "barely managed it" level. That's partly why I want to swap to something with a calculated training load instead of "everything you've got".

Tried benching on the power rack for safety because last time I was alone and almost crushed myself, but the safety bars can be set either too high or too low. I guess I will need to find me some spotters or at least not bench when there is no one to save me

Are you arching? With the arch taken into consideration (you collapse it if it you fail) I'd be surprised if the spacing went from too high, to too low. My "rack" is shit, but even with the large spacing I have on my spotter bars, there are still two levels I could technically use.

Pushed out another 5am gym session with the temperature being 15F; it was not a fun walk.

Focused on Upper Body Power following the PHAT program.

mkenyon

Banned
Whelp, was 211 on Sunday evening, and 208 last night. 207 this morning. That's going well.

3 mile jog at lunch, then hit the Squats hard last night. 185x10, 225x10, 245x5, 265x3, 225x10. Threw 15 mins on stair climber, and 20 on treadmill at 15% incline.

RIP my legs.

Ha, that would be most of my reps then I'm afraid. I'm always up around the "barely managed it" level. That's partly why I want to swap to something with a calculated training load instead of "everything you've got".

Are you arching? With the arch taken into consideration (you collapse it if it you fail) I'd be surprised if the spacing went from too high, to too low. My "rack" is shit, but even with the large spacing I have on my spotter bars, there are still two levels I could technically use.

I should arch more, yes

^^^ Speaking of - what are everyone's favorite exercise per muscle group?

Legs: Squats
I feel it's the most bang for the buck for my kicking power. As a martial artist, letting people know I mean business when I sneak a leg in helps.

Chest: Cable Crossover
The constant tension at the apex of the squeeze really helps with activation. Since the pec is pretty much a pull muscle, you don't lose the tension at the top as you would a press, IMO.

Back: Pendlay Rows
I get the most back activation with this pull and it's not as complex as other lifts. Underhand is great for peeps with elbow problems.

Shoulders: Arnold Press
Wide ROM and time under tension. Incorporates more stabilizers and your core nicely.

Biceps: Spider Curls
Almost completely negates recruitment while allowing greater range to do them straight or as a drag curl. Straight doesn't give you much wiggle room to offset your elbow as a hinge joint using your shoulders so there is always tension at the apex of the squeeze. Love these.

Tricep: Rope Pushdowns
Great focus, limited shoulder stress, wide ROM and change of posture/stance will drastically change the point of highest tension so you can set them up a number of ways to hit time under tension at different areas throughout its range. Versatile.

goober

Just got back from a cruise. Ate so much good (bad) food. They had a gym on board, but nothing too crazy. Good to be back on the grind.

Cooter

I'm boring

Legs - Squats
Chest - BB Bench
Back - Weighted pull ups, Deadlift
Shoulders - OHP
Biceps - BB curls
Triceps - LTEs

mdsfx

I normally ignore this kind of thing outright, but a coworker of mine who started working out again this week can't stop making it a point to throw baited comments out to everyone all day:

"UGH, WOW I'M SO SORE..."
"WHEW, WELL THIS MORNING WAS FUN"
"MAN, MY CHEST IS KILLING ME"
"AAAAAUUUGH..."

I appreciate his enthusiasm, but good god buddy, tone it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom