• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hjod

Banned
I don't think it's a good idea watching Matt Stonies youtube channel while on a cut. My drool could fill a lake at the moment *drinks more water and cries*

Zoe

They provide a consistent metric if you use them regularly.

Either way, if he's having blood pressure issues, then his diet does deserve a closer look.

JoeNut

just started going to the gym

I'm too intimidated to use the free weights, but the machines seem doable - all the info in the OP seems to be centered around the weights but the machines are good too right?

Start on the machines then, they're not as good, because free weights are exactly that, they're free from being restrained in their movement, which means you build up the muscles that help you balance the bar/bell from side to side. machines don't do that because they're a fixed range of movement

I started on machines for about 6 months and then moved to free weights once i felt confident, been on free weights for 6 months now and will never go back to machines now.

They provide a consistent metric if you use them regularly.
Sadly they're not accurate enough to provide meaningful numbers over time, unless you're talking about going from say, 30% body fat to 20%.

Some detail on that here...

This statement alone should be enough to get people to ignore the scales...

In fact, BIA doesn't do much better than BMI at predicting body fat in some cases. When it comes to measuring change over time, BIA can often underpredict the amount of fat loss, and the estimated change can be off by up to 8%.

But yes, in this case the doctor clearly has enough reason to tell him to do something about his body composition even without the numbers.

Hence the last sentence. The point is that the number is irrelevant in this case anyway, not that the number in particular is worth getting hung up on.

Had a good chest day yesterday. Flat bench.

2x10 @ 235 lbs
2x10 @ 245 lbs
1x8 @ 255 lbs

Did some incline as well and finished with several fly variations. Back today. Prolly take off tom or Fri.

mdsfx

Somehow, even with Christmas and New Years, I'm down 10lbs since December 1st, from 172 to 162. Still squatting 5x5 @ 235. 240 tomorrow.

Unfortunately, I don't feel like I look ripped at all and it scares me that I might have to lose another 5-7 pounds and that I might end up looking the same as I did before the bulk :/

I'm actually reasonably happy that I'm about 13lbs up and I wouldn't say I look "fat" yet... so I must be putting on a bit of muscle, even though I'm not really getting stronger (size vs function?).

Teggy

Respect to you guys who do 5x5. I did 3x5 squats @ 235 yesterday and couldn't imagine doing 2 more. Of course I'm also 42, so there's that :)

velociraptor

https://www.youtube.com/user/AasgaardCo

Lots of good vids in there. But also, their app is *extremely* helpful for getting started.

If you want gains, you def want to pick up the barbell. Otherwise you'll just spin your wheels for awhile on machines with very little perceptible gain.

To help clarify what a good barbell regimen does for you, these two pics are me before and after strength training in only 7 months.

Damn, that's amazing progress. How did you achieve it?

mdsfx

Anyone ever done shorter term bulks? Once I'm cut, I'd like to try a more frequent bulk/cut cycle. Curious if you could do intervals as short as 2 weeks...

Salamando

Wasn't seeing much mass after a few months. Some definition, yes, but not much mass. Went back to the OP...dear god has my nutrition been no where near where it should have been. Too few calories, too little protein. As a 6'2" ~185 male, I was at maybe 2200 cal a day, and barely 120g protein, if it was a good day. Drew up a new nutrition plan that puts me at +20% TDEE on a workout day, -10% on a rest. Macros are all in line. Time to put it to the test.

Anyone ever done shorter term bulks? Once I'm cut, I'd like to try a more frequent bulk/cut cycle. Curious if you could do intervals as short as 2 weeks...
For most people, the human body grows in spurts. Some folks don't have issues with week to week consistency but its generally accepted that the body doesn't work that way from a medical standpoint.

All things equal and consistent most people find months where they grow faster than others. I assume it would be impossible to plan two weeks to coincide with when your body decides to grow.

I'd also assume your body would need a reason to grow and I don't think two weeks cut it unless you're working with noob gains. If you're experienced then I wouldn't expect to see much in the lean muscle department.

The other side to this is coming off of a cut is when people usually make the most gains and if you maintain a good bulk/cut cycle your body will adapt quicker.

All this is from an medical standpoint - with all of my ailments and me being a programmer I like getting into the specifics of the why and not so much the how because I ice skate uphill with fitness so I look to capitalize and maximize where I can to make up for inequities.

You are more than likely functionally different than I am so none of that may apply to you :D

mdsfx

For most people, the human body grows in spurts. Some folks don't have issues with week to week consistency but its generally accepted that the body doesn't work that way from a medical standpoint.

All things equal and consistent most people find months where they grow faster than others. I assume it would be impossible to plan two weeks to coincide with when your body decides to grow.

I'd also assume your body would need a reason to grow and I don't think two weeks cut it unless you're working with noob gains. If you're experienced then I wouldn't expect to see much in the lean muscle department.

The other side to this is coming off of a cut is when people usually make the most gains and if you maintain a good bulk/cut cycle your body will adapt quicker.

All this is from an medical standpoint - with all of my ailments and me being a programmer I like getting into the specifics of the why and not so much the how because I ice skate uphill with fitness so I look to capitalize and maximize where I can to make up for inequities.

You are more than likely functionally different than I am so none of that may apply to you :D

Thanks for the info. I guess my assumption was the if body recomp diets work that this would. That is based on nothing but a hunch though.

Zabuza

Banned
Are 5-6 day per week workouts not recommended? I'm looking for a good routine and I could definitely go to the gym 5 times a week, but the beginner programs are all MWF.

Are 5-6 day per week workouts not recommended? I'm looking for a good routine and I could definitely go to the gym 5 times a week, but the beginner programs are all MWF.

nah, nothing wrong with going 5-6 days a week if you know your body and how to handle it

SS is a good beginners strength program. Gives you a nice base to go off of. I wish I knew more of a beginner BB style program to get people started on.

6 days here. Didn't start out that way, though.

If I knew where my rest muscle was I'd train that on day 7.

What did you start out doing? I'm 5'11 and weigh 145 so I'm definitely a beginner.
Pretty much Starting Strength. I didn't have the program at the time but just did the basic compounds 3x per week. After several months o switched to 3 on 1 off 2 on 1 off. Then went to 6 straight with Saturday rest 1 muscle group per day.

There was a lot of downtime/depression weaved in over the years so I can't say I was consistent.

So I was pretty okay with staying at the same weight after my two weeks off for the holidays. I didn't track calories, weigh myself, or exercise for those two weeks. I was hoping I could keep losing, but with all the eating at restaurants, beer, and Christmas food I wasn't too upset with maintaining. As it turns out I'm down 5 pounds since Sunday morning. So I guess I did lose some fat over the holidays and I just had some water weight on me to drop. Now over 35lbs down.

Just started back in the gym this week after about 1.5 months off while I was putting in extra time at work. Definitely some strength losses, but I wasn't strong to begin with, lol.

Fox318

Blew my diet the past 3 days. Ughh.

Doesn't help that I feel sick so I haven't been to the gym.

Also for all the hype about new years I didn't notice any increase at all at my gym.

And I use 2 different locations.

Blehhh... have found all my calories compressed into 4 hours tonight. Feel so sick. Could manage it on a cut, but not bulking.

Have one more meal to cram into my gullet. Thankfully just a protein heavy soup.

mdsfx

Blehhh... have found all my calories compressed into 4 hours tonight. Feel so sick. Could manage it on a cut, but not bulking.

Have one more meal to cram into my gullet. Thankfully just a protein heavy soup.
Oh god, i couldn't do that. I hate the bloat feeling on a bulk. Can't imagine a 4-hour eating window.

So last day of my holiday in Byron Bay (Australia) yesterday and I had the gym all to myself at night. I'd spent a whole day in the sun so was pretty sunburnt.

Decided I would do a No shirt session :)

Now i don't know what it was, but I felt like bloody Rocky. Smashed my Pb on Overhead Press, jumped up to 50kg, which I'd set as a goal to reach by April.

Anyone ever do a no shirt session and can vouch that it gives you extra strength? :)

So last day of my holiday in Byron Bay (Australia) yesterday and I had the gym all to myself at night. I'd spent a whole day in the sun so was pretty sunburnt.

Decided I would do a No shirt session :)

Now i don't know what it was, but I felt like bloody Rocky. Smashed my Pb on Overhead Press, jumped up to 50kg, which I'd set as a goal to reach by April.

Anyone ever do a no shirt session and can vouch that it gives you extra strength? :)

look good feel good

feel good play good

Quick question. My only indoor exercise machines are an elliptical and an exercise bike. If I only have an hour a day to exercise, which one do you guys think is the best to use?

Respect to you guys who do 5x5. I did 3x5 squats @ 235 yesterday and couldn't imagine doing 2 more. Of course I'm also 42, so there's that :)

I used to do the 5X5 program as well. I believe I can still do it, but its just too time consuming these days. I've since dropped everything in SS to 3X5. Actually, I had dropped OHP to 3X3 since I was having such a hard time with it, but now I've managed to be able to do it 3X5 now.

Also, first time back in the gym yesterday following my back injury. I don't know what I did differently, but it went smoothly. I did have to deload all the weights 10% since I hadn't lifted in over a week, but it was fine. I am feeling that DOMS hard though

Teggy

Quick question. My only indoor exercise machines are an elliptical and an exercise bike. If I only have an hour a day to exercise, which one do you guys think is the best to use?

I'm no scientist but I'd have to imagine an elliptical burns more calories since you move all four limbs.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Dude I posted for the first time here just on the previous Page. Starting strength (free weights) has worked wonders for my mental health as well as physical health. I can't recommend doing free weights enough, there's something about lifting heavy shit that makes you feel on top of the world.

I might try them if I'm ever there at a time when the gym bros aren't hogging the entire free weight area...

Start on the machines then, they're not as good, because free weights are exactly that, they're free from being restrained in their movement, which means you build up the muscles that help you balance the bar/bell from side to side. machines don't do that because they're a fixed range of movement

I started on machines for about 6 months and then moved to free weights once i felt confident, been on free weights for 6 months now and will never go back to machines now.

Maybe that's just what I'll do then :)

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
What is the rarest exercise you see performed at your gym? For me it's without question BB OHP. It is such a rare movement that I feel as the entire gym is watching me OHP when I do it. The puzzled looks I frequently get are quite entertaining.

rykomatsu

What is the rarest exercise you see performed at your gym? For me it's without question BB OHP. It is such a rare movement that I feel as the entire gym is watching me OHP when I do it. The puzzled looks I frequently get are quite entertaining.

I didn't know what it was called until tonight (did for first time), but I've seen someone doing quite a bit of KB mobility core work like Turkish getups at the globogym I goto.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIbACEXXvvg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom