• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^ Speaking of - what are everyone's favorite exercise per muscle group?

Legs: Squats
I feel it's the most bang for the buck for my kicking power. As a martial artist, letting people know I mean business when I sneak a leg in helps.

Chest: Cable Crossover
The constant tension at the apex of the squeeze really helps with activation. Since the pec is pretty much a pull muscle, you don't lose the tension at the top as you would a press, IMO.

Back: Pendlay Rows
I get the most back activation with this pull and it's not as complex as other lifts. Underhand is great for peeps with elbow problems.

Shoulders: Arnold Press
Wide ROM and time under tension. Incorporates more stabilizers and your core nicely.

Biceps: Spider Curls
Almost completely negates recruitment while allowing greater range to do them straight or as a drag curl. Straight doesn't give you much wiggle room to offset your elbow as a hinge joint using your shoulders so there is always tension at the apex of the squeeze. Love these.

Tricep: Rope Pushdowns
Great focus, limited shoulder stress, wide ROM and change of posture/stance will drastically change the point of highest tension so you can set them up a number of ways to hit time under tension at different areas throughout its range. Versatile.

My favorites:

Legs: Deadlifts because they make my ass feel strong and also fix my back.
Chest: Diamond pushups. Feels like the perfect complement to heavy bench and get me the most pumped.
Back: Chinups. They are badass, and there are so many varieties you can do. Plus they have a wide range of motion unlike rows. I do them weighted and one-arm (assisted)
Shoulders: The barbell press is fine to me. I'm not particularly fond of shoulder exercises, but the press had the best linear progression and also feels rehabilitating on the shoulders.
Biceps: Barbell curls. Because they also strengthen the forearms. I mean, all curls do, but these feel like they employ the forearms more than other kinds of curls that allow for more freedom of movement.
Tricep: Diamond pushups again. There are some more effective exercises but they are not as enjoyable to me and dips strain my shoulders. The pushups are a nice high volume addition that pump the chest and triceps, and shoulders to a lesser extent
Abs: Deadlift again. At small weights I didn't feel my abs got any work at all. But after 2 plates and over you really start feeling their involvement, especially as you improve your technique. There might be more effective exercises, but to me they are merely complementary because you still need a strong healthy lower back to get the most out of ab exercises.

Legs - probably the snatch
Chest - i don't think i have one
Back - Chinups I guess
Shoulders - definitely the arnold press
Triceps - the pressdown
Biceps - preacher curl

mdsfx

Chest - Pull Ups
Back - Pull Ups
Shoulders - Pull Ups
Legs - Pull Ups
Triceps - Pull Ups
Biceps - Pull Ups
Ego - Pull Ups

UrAvgGuy

Legs: leg press
Chest: Incline DB press, decline cable press
Back: Pull up, RDLs
Shoulders: OHP, clean & press
Biceps: BB curl, cable curl
Tricep: Rope Pull down

ILoveBish

Already back down to 227.2 this morning. Only 8.8lbs away from my lowest I've ever been. Gym was good today, it being deload week, nothing to speak of.

New year person in the middle of the gym shadow boxing and making really loud noises. Every day so far has been entertaining.

Only one more day left and then rest up till the next 5s week.

Can't be arsed gremlin has stolen my motivation. Life is being a real pig at the moment and I'm so emotionally drained that it's definitely going over to my training. Took me over two hours to get myself to go out to the garage for my turbo trainer session tonight.

Need some things to go right for me. =/

Szu

Can't be arsed gremlin has stolen my motivation. Life is being a real pig at the moment and I'm so emotionally drained that it's definitely going over to my training. Took me over two hours to get myself to go out to the garage for my turbo trainer session tonight.

Need some things to go right for me. =/

Hang in there, buddy.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
just started going to the gym

vZdZFhS.jpg

I'm too intimidated to use the free weights, but the machines seem doable - all the info in the OP seems to be centered around the weights but the machines are good too right?

I'm too intimidated to use the free weights, but the machines seem doable - all the info in the OP seems to be centered around the weights but the machines are good too right?

Well, they're better than nothing. But there's no need to be intimidated by the free weights. Look up videos for proper form for squat, deadlift, overhead press, and bench press and just start with an empty bar.

Honestly, machines can be just as tricky to use 100% properly as a barbell.

PBY

Banned
Well, they're better than nothing. But there's no need to be intimidated by the free weights. Look up videos for proper form for squat, deadlift, overhead press, and bench press and just start with an empty bar.

Machines suck. Straight up.

You can dink around with machines for years and make zero progress. I'd argue that machines are way more advanced than free weights, because you have to absolutely NAIL the volume x weight to reap their benefits.

edit: This is someone who ends up using a lot of machines as accessory work btw. But I also dinked around doing gym "circuits" for a few years before I hunkered down and just did SS. And thats when I made progress.

Wulfric

^^^ Speaking of - what are everyone's favorite exercise per muscle group?

Legs: Squats. They're fun.
Chest: Bench
Back: Chin ups (I think that's a back exercise?)
Shoulders: Overhead Press
Biceps: Pull ups
Triceps: No idea

I really enjoy deadlifts, but that's more of a compound lift.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So just got done with my workout and on my way to my car someone mistook me for a wrestler. So far I've been mistaken for a football and basketball player. And now wrestler. Going to the gym is working.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
But there's no need to be intimidated by the free weights. Look up videos for proper form for squat, deadlift, overhead press, and bench press and just start with an empty bar.

They have instructions on the sides though, which make them more approachable. With the free weights, I'd have to look up the exercises online and then try to have to remember them all once I'm at the gym, and knowing me, I'd forget everything as soon as I walked through the doors.

Machines suck. Straight up.

SRO4TAA.png

You can dink around with machines for years and make zero progress.

How is that possible? You're, like, pushing weights with your legs and shit, so that's got to count for something right?

;_____;

mkenyon

Banned
They have instructions on the sides though, which make them more approachable. With the free weights, I'd have to look up the exercises online and then try to have to remember them all once I'm at the gym, and knowing me, I'd forget everything as soon as I walked through the doors.

SRO4TAA.png

How is that possible? You're, like, pushing weights with your legs and shit, so that's got to count for something right?

;_____;
https://www.youtube.com/user/AasgaardCo

Lots of good vids in there. But also, their app is *extremely* helpful for getting started.

If you want gains, you def want to pick up the barbell. Otherwise you'll just spin your wheels for awhile on machines with very little perceptible gain.

To help clarify what a good barbell regimen does for you, these two pics are me before and after strength training in only 7 months.

Hang in there, buddy.

Cheers. Am trying to but getting kicked out my house at the end of the month, whilst trying simultaneously to buy a new one, and major things going wrong with that (meaning right now I have no-where to live at the end of the month). Shoulder injury keeps coming back, which is getting to me, and my car just died (engine). Million smaller things going on with work and life in general means I'm completely bleh.

Complain more noob. :p

Don't trick yourself into thinking machines are better, because they're actually not even close to being as good. Machines are in the gym because people who don't know shit want to use them and gyms want them as members, not because they're just as good as free weights.

mkenyon

Banned
Cheers. Am trying to but getting kicked out my house at the end of the month, whilst trying simultaneously to buy a new one, and major things going wrong with that (meaning right now I have no-where to live at the end of the month). Shoulder injury keeps coming back, which is getting to me, and my car just died (engine). Million smaller things going on with work and life in general means I'm completely bleh.

Just look at these like hitting your lifts super hard. Yeah, it's painful, but you'll come out better and stronger.

Hang in there bruh.

I ordered the adidas power perfects from the adidas website on Sunday, and even though their site said it would arrive in 3-8 business days, the shoes arrived today only 2 days later.

Although UPS just left them at my door and bounced; I hate when they do that.

Wulfric

So just got done with my workout and on my way to my car someone mistook me for a wrestler. So far I've been mistaken for a football and basketball player. And now wrestler. Going to the gym is working.

Awesome, that wrestling physique is hella sexy. Take all the compliments you can get. My dad asked me if I was getting fat a week ago. So my lifts are getting heavier, but apparently that doesn't necessarily lead to aesthetics. .___.

Lots of good vids in there. But also, their app is *extremely* helpful for getting started.

To help clarify what a good barbell regimen does for you, these two pics are me before and after strength training in only 7 months.

Damn mkenyon, your chest gains are amazing. Lifting even cured your vision. :p

Ratsky, definitely give Starting Strength a look. It doesn't involve too many different exercises and 3 sets of 5 is a comfortable starting point. You get the hang of the movements pretty quickly if you're in the gym regularly. I actually started lifting in September and now I can't see myself going without it.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Awesome, that wrestling physique is hella sexy. Take all the compliments you can get. My dad asked me if I was getting fat a week ago. So my lifts are getting heavier, but apparently that doesn't necessarily lead to aesthetics. .___.

Funny thing is I've never worked on aesthetics since I started lifting 3 years ago. I just get random compliments because of the workout I'm doing and or I guess I'm starting to look like an athlete now. But getting that wrestler compliment made my day lol.

SRO4TAA.png

;_____;
Machines rob you of everything you need to develop a strong core and accessory stabilizers. What good is a press machine with a zillion plates if when you try to bench with dumbbells with modest weight and the rest of your body cannot help get the weights into position to even do a single rep?

Machines are good for people looking to set their clipboards down where they know someone won't be sitting ;)

Develop a strong core with the basic necessities before branching out. Think of it like this - start with the most natural movements:

Standing up off the floor - Squat
Picking shit up off the ground - Deadlift
Picking yourself up - Pullup
Lifting something up - Overhead Press
Pushing something - Bench Press

You don't need to memorize a million things. Pickup a book like Starting Strength and follow it. Super easy :D

After you develop a strong core and muscle memory you can begin to incorporate more isolation techniques with intermediate routines to help grow.

Don't ignore the benefits of stabilization that free weights offer. There's more to moving and pushing shit around than any machine can offer and the results are tenfold.

Szu

If you want gains, you def want to pick up the barbell. Otherwise you'll just spin your wheels for awhile on machines with very little perceptible gain.

Dude, the guy on the floor in the "paint me like one of your French girls" pose is totally mirin you.

Wulfric

Funny thing is I've never worked on aesthetics since I started lifting 3 years ago. I just get random compliments because of the workout I'm doing and or I guess I'm starting to look like an athlete now. But getting that wrestler compliment made my day lol.

Well after 3 years, hopefully your work would be showing at least a little. At this point it's clear to other people that you know what you're doing.

Once I get a bit more experience I'd like to move to a powerlifting routine to get that wrestler look myself, but I'll stick to SL for now.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Deadlifted for the first time in six months or so. My programming didn't work wonders for my deadlift as hoped. Loving this one "major" lift per day thing though.

Deadlifts - 210lbs x 3, 240x3, 270x3
Power cleans - 135lbs 4x3, 1x8 (PR)

mdsfx

Successfully avoided cake on my birthday lol. My wife loves baking and was pissed when I said I didn't want one. I also made sure no one at work knew. Yeah, I'm that guy.
Opted for homemade, dark chocolate peanut butter cups instead >) you know, just to keep my wife happy...

Successfully avoided cake on my birthday lol. My wife loves baking and was pissed when I said I didn't want one. I also made sure no one at work knew. Yeah, I'm that guy.
Opted for homemade, dark chocolate peanut butter cups instead >) you know, just to keep my wife happy...

Why not have a piece? Consider it a cheat meal.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Man, benched 90kg today for the first time ever, two clean reps and wasn't even red

That mythical 100kg is so close I can almost taste it

sphinx

the piano man
I went for the first time since I started working out with a nutritionist, mainly due to high blood pressure, but she knows her stuff regarding lifting and weights.

To say it will cause a revolution in the way I see things regarding fitness is an understatement.

Her advice:

.- no more strength goals for me, all low-ish weight, high rep until blood pressure is regular, but probably forever... (this sucks so bad)

.- she was blunt as hell "yes, it shows you work out but sorry pal, zero definition, that's because you gotta shed lots of fat". At that point I was like "surely it's not as bad as she says, she hasn't seen me when I wake up or on a pump, blahblahblah"... then she wanted to see my weight and I stepped on her fancy million dollar scale and

.- bam....29% body fat.... WHAT THE FUCK..... I was like... what the fuck did you just tell me???? let me see that number... I was like .. no fucking way... and I am still baffled. She caught me during the worst time of the year, after the winter bulk with Tamales, Rosca and plenty of awful shit we eat in Mexico but still, It has to resonate somehow and make me wanna make those changes.

.- she confirmed what I didn't want to hear: no more coffee or tea for me, one cup if at all.

.- Substantial cardio each and every day, I can combine it with lifting weights but that should be an afterthought.

I am still processing all of this.

one thing she made clear:

"you can't continue bulking like you do without health consequences, you gotta lose like 12 pounds, when that happens, we'll change your diet to get more muscular mass but right now, the way to go is down."

that's the outlook...

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I guess I forgot to mention (since I didn't fill out the questionnaire from the OP), that I'm not looking to bulk up or anything, as I don't have the money for that at the moment (for the special diet, protein powder, etc.) and I'm kind of at the mercy of the people I'm going with so my schedule won't be super consistent. The main thing I'm looking for, right now, is the mental benefits of exercise. I live a very sedentary lifestyle and I need to get out more, plus I'm depressed and have shitty sleep patterns and anxiety and all that fun stuff, so I'm hoping going to the gym will help change/alleviate all/most of that.

When it comes to the mental benefits, does it matter whether you do free weights or machines?

Ratsky, definitely give Starting Strength a look. It doesn't involve too many different exercises and 3 sets of 5 is a comfortable starting point. You get the hang of the movements pretty quickly if you're in the gym regularly. I actually started lifting in September and now I can't see myself going without it.

Machines rob you of everything you need to develop a strong core and accessory stabilizers. What good is a press machine with a zillion plates if when you try to bench with dumbbells with modest weight and the rest of your body cannot help get the weights into position to even do a single rep?

Machines are good for people looking to set their clipboards down where they know someone won't be sitting ;)

Develop a strong core with the basic necessities before branching out. Think of it like this - start with the most natural movements:

Standing up off the floor - Squat
Picking shit up off the ground - Deadlift
Picking yourself up - Pullup
Lifting something up - Overhead Press
Pushing something - Bench Press

You don't need to memorize a million things. Pickup a book like Starting Strength and follow it. Super easy :D

After you develop a strong core and muscle memory you can begin to incorporate more isolation techniques with intermediate routines to help grow.

Don't ignore the benefits of stabilization that free weights offer. There's more to moving and pushing shit around than any machine can offer and the results are tenfold.

Thanks guys, I have a lot to learn.

Sounds really bad dude, but if I've learnt one this since going to the gym in off and on spurts, it's that exercise/weights does just as much for your muscles as your mental health.

Sometimes just pushing out a session when you don't feel like it can work wonders.

I guess I forgot to mention (since I didn't fill out the questionnaire from the OP), that I'm not looking to bulk up or anything, as I don't have the money for that at the moment (for the special diet, protein powder, etc.) and I'm kind of at the mercy of the people I'm going with so my schedule won't be super consistent. The main thing I'm looking for, right now, is the mental benefits of exercise. I live a very sedentary lifestyle and I need to get out more, plus I'm depressed and have shitty sleep patterns and anxiety and all that fun stuff, so I'm hoping going to the gym will help change/alleviate all/most of that.

When it comes to the mental benefits, does it matter whether you do free weights or machines?

Thanks guys, I have a lot to learn.

Dude I posted for the first time here just on the previous Page. Starting strength (free weights) has worked wonders for my mental health as well as physical health. I can't recommend doing free weights enough, there's something about lifting heavy shit that makes you feel on top of the world.

Wulfric

I went for the first time since I started working out with a nutritionist, mainly due to high blood pressure, but she knows her stuff regarding lifting and weights. To say it will cause a revolution in the way I see things regarding fitness is an understatement.

*snip*

Man, that totally sucks. Not even a little tea? Ouch. :/

But in the long run, do what's best for your body. Now that you're armed with that knowledge, following through is the next step. I'm sure you can get back to bulking soon, even if you have to go about it differently. Good luck.

Was staying strong, but my local theater is playing Mononoke for Miyazaki's bday, so I had to have a piece of this.

What sort of awesome theater is this? Totoro has never looked so tasty...

I went for the first time since I started working out with a nutritionist, mainly due to high blood pressure, but she knows her stuff regarding lifting and weights.

To say it will cause a revolution in the way I see things regarding fitness is an understatement.

Her advice:

.- no more strength goals for me, all low-ish weight, high rep until blood pressure is regular, but probably forever... (this sucks so bad)

.- she was blunt as hell "yes, it shows you work out but sorry pal, zero definition, that's because you gotta shed lots of fat". At that point I was like "surely it's not as bad as she says, she hasn't seen me when I wake up or on a pump, blahblahblah"... then she wanted to see my weight and I stepped on her fancy million dollar scale and

.- bam....29% body fat.... WHAT THE FUCK..... I was like... what the fuck did you just tell me???? let me see that number... I was like .. no fucking way... and I am still baffled. She caught me during the worst time of the year, after the winter bulk with Tamales, Rosca and plenty of awful shit we eat in Mexico but still, It has to resonate somehow and make me wanna make those changes.

.- she confirmed what I didn't want to hear: no more coffee or tea for me, one cup if at all.

.- Substantial cardio each and every day, I can combine it with lifting weights but that should be an afterthought.

I am still processing all of this.

one thing she made clear:

"you can't continue bulking like you do without health consequences, you gotta lose like 12 pounds, when that happens, we'll change your diet to get more muscular mass but right now, the way to go is down."

that's the outlook...

I have seen your pics. No way you're near 29% unless you really let yourself go these past few months. But if so, then that means I must be around that percentage too...

mkenyon

Banned
What sort of awesome theater is this? Totoro has never looked so tasty...
Hah, you wouldn't expect it, but it's a small rural town, Yelm, WA. It was even sold out!

There was a guy in a Totoro costume which got me thinking for next Halloween.

Swoletoro. Think about it.

*edit*

Mrs. mkenyon says, "Totobro"

sphinx

the piano man
I have seen your pics. No way you're near 29% unless you really let yourself go these past few months. But if so, then that means I must be around that percentage too...

I am unsure about that number too, I really really don't think I look above 20% and I don't think I ever have.

Maybe I have been living in a lie all this time. I am very confused.

and no, I don't think I've changed that much in the last year, it's very likely I look exactly how you remember me from pics.

but I have the ticket, it says clearly 29.1% body fat.

I am unsure about that number too, I really really don't think I look above 20% and I don't think I ever have.

Maybe I have been living in a lie all this time. I am very confused.

and no, I don't think I've changed that much in the last year, it's very likely I look exactly how you remember me from pics.

but I have the ticket, it says clearly 29.1% body fat.

Aren't those biometric scales effected my water intake and a whole range of other factors? Not saying you aren't 29% but I don't think they're the most accurate body fat assessment method.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom