• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
Working from home + having a home gym = cheat mode
The wife and I are currently saving for this rack.

HRGbLeI.png

Can't wait to be able to work out at home. My dogs will definitely appreciate not being left for two hours most nights.

BumRush

One side of my cave is my dev/gaming setup. The other side is my gym :D

The best of both worlds!

HRGbLeI.png

Can't wait to be able to work out at home. My dogs will definitely appreciate not being left for two hours most nights.

Hnnnnnnnnng that's so beautiful.

When I had a home gym I actually found it much more difficult to discipline myself to lift.
Crazy I know

I feel you and it happens to me too. But when I get in a groove and start going regularly I'm like juggernaut running through walls.

mkenyon

Banned
For those with racks at home, I found this gem recently.

Saw a video where someone had two of them for even doing cable rows and kickbacks. Awesome tool.

Could probably replicate it with some cheaper parts at Harbor Freight/Home Depot or something.

*edit*

The King is dead. Hail the new King.

PBY

Banned
For those with racks at home, I found this gem recently.

Saw a video where someone had two of them for even doing cable rows and kickbacks. Awesome tool.

Could probably replicate it with some cheaper parts at Harbor Freight/Home Depot or something.

*edit*

The King is dead. Hail the new King.

Screw you guys and your protein bar hype. Bought 2 boxes of the B-Up bars, MOST DEFINITELY NOT BETTER THAN QUEST

Screw you guys and your protein bar hype. Bought 2 boxes of the B-Up bars, MOST DEFINITELY NOT BETTER THAN QUEST

Hahaha you hated them!
Bro I am so sorry I love those dang things. They actually taste like something substantial to me. After a couple Qwest bars I can start to taste all the supplemental sugar and ingredients that they have to use to hit their calorie counts and it just starts to gross me out.

PBY

Banned
Hahaha you hated them!
Bro I am so sorry I love those dang things. They actually taste like something substantial to me. After a couple Qwest bars I can start to taste all the supplemental sugar and ingredients that they have to use to hit their calorie counts and it just starts to gross me out.

Lolol. I actually didn't hate them. I think they are just a notch below quest, but still very enjoyable. For what its worth I got sugar cookie and chocolate chip.

SeanR1221

Carb cycling still working great. Down another 2 lbs yet I'm stronger. The angle and lighting aren't 100% the same but I don't think I'm just imaging that I'm bigger.

For reference, I started from here:

Oh yeah, I finally did a muscle up!

Awesome transformation!

---

I'd love having equipment at home. Too many guys at the gym just work out their jaws.

Cagey

Banned
The full you get from eating too much grilled chicken is the worst food-related fullness you can feel. Fuck I feel nauseous. I shouldn't have eaten the double portion I bought for lunch, in lieu of two separate home-made lunches, in one damn sitting.

When I had a home gym I actually found it much more difficult to discipline myself to lift.
Crazy I know

When I moved into an apartment building in NYC that had a legit fitness center on the first floor, and my apartment was literally directly above the gym on the second floor, my motivation went through the rough... all from guilt: if I didn't work out, I felt like a lazy fat ass because it was one staircase away and I didn't even have to leave the building.

Well, it looks like I have somewhere to live (got to get past the credit checks, but if the shit hits the fan I can probably pay six months up front)...

...problem is, now I have to move twice in six months, and I'll tell you something for nothing, I am NOT looking forward to moving my weights.

Unrelated, tried to take a pump selfie and the stupid damn camera wouldn't even focus. You instagram guys make this shit look easy, lol.

AnAnole

Thanks for the replies! I've been reading this thread for a while and having Cooter's physique/strength is probably my ultimate goal (and who I try to model my workouts after), although I'm going to have to do something about the loose skin on my lower abdomen.

BumRush

Well, it looks like I have somewhere to live (got to get past the credit checks, but if the shit hits the fan I can probably pay six months up front)...

...problem is, now I have to move twice in six months, and I'll tell you something for nothing, I am NOT looking forward to moving my weights.

Unrelated, tried to take a pump selfie and the stupid damn camera wouldn't even focus. You instagram guys make this shit look easy, lol.

You help bish move, he helps you?

ILoveBish

The gym I've been going to for almost 3 years closes in less then a month. So far this year has been pretty dry fellas. I actually ended up sleeping all night yesterday instead of packing, I couldn't take it anymore. I finally feel refreshed for the first time in months.

All you can eat sushi tonight with my girl and her best friend. My first cheat meal of 2016.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Thanks for the replies! I've been reading this thread for a while and having Cooter's physique/strength is probably my ultimate goal (and who I try to model my workouts after), although I'm going to have to do something about the loose skin on my lower abdomen.
Well shit. I can't tell you how honored I am to open this thread and read this. How do you respond to something like this other than thank you. You're well on your way. I look forward to seeing more of your progress.

Anyone recommend working in a sumo style deadlift into a rotation? Was considering using it on weeks when my back feels too tight. I am reading tall folk like myself do these. I don't have too much issue with standard deads but some weeks my lower back acts up and I have to either skip them or drop weight so I don't kill myself. Sumos may be some better middle-ground. Thoughts?

Teggy

What do people like to do to initiate their deadlift so they don't feel like they are pulling from their arms? I feel like my form on the 2nd rep and on is good because I feel like I am in a groove and really pushing through my feet, but the very first rep I really feel my shoulders being pulled down trying to get the bar just off the ground.

mkenyon

Banned
What do people like to do to initiate their deadlift so they don't feel like they are pulling from their arms? I feel like my form on the 2nd rep and on is good because I feel like I am in a groove and really pushing through my feet, but the very first rep I really feel my shoulders being pulled down trying to get the bar just off the ground.
I start by dropping my ass to the right position right before the lift. Gets the legs working. Something I picked up from watching Brolic and Cooter's vids.
Well shit. I can't tell you how honored I am to open this thread and read this. How do you respond to something like this other than thank you. You're well on your way. I look forward to seeing more of your progress.
It's the Pumpkin.

Teggy

I start by dropping my ass to the right position right before the lift. Gets the legs working. Something I picked up from watching Brolic and Cooter's vids.

How do you balance this with keeping the hips up? I've read a lot about not putting your hips too low so you wind up "squatting" the bar up.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
How do you balance this with keeping the hips up? I've read a lot about not putting your hips too low so you wind up "squatting" the bar up.

The goal is to get the bar off the ground, what's wrong with using your legs? Whatever works.

Teggy

The goal is to get the bar off the ground, what's wrong with using your legs? Whatever works.

I guess if you're in a competition, but I'm not. Of course you're supposed to use your legs, but I believe the explanation is that you lose tension in your hamstrings by leaning back, and you can also wind up having the bar move away from under your shoulders.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

HRGbLeI.png

Might wanna consider a setup like mine. It includes dip bar attachments, monkey pull-up, band pegs, weight storage and safety catch bars.

Looks like it's more functional, takes up less space and has more options. It's also cheaper.

http://www.elitefts.com/eliteftstm-scholastic-3x3-half-rack-pack-2.html

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Because the action of dropping your hips also includes yanking on the bar pulling the tension out which loads everything up. It takes time and patience to learn. Watch any of my recent deadlift videos or my competition video and you can see me do it.

Teggy

Because the action of dropping your hips also includes yanking on the bar pulling the tension out which loads everything up. It takes time and patience to learn. Watch any of my recent deadlift videos or my competition video and you can see me do it.

OK, I'll take a look.

Wulfric

Holy shit at these two girls...

https://youtu.be/5c70Gfx6Bv0?t=108

440lb squat at 130lb bodyweight and 375lb at 114lb bodyweight. Wow.

Omg, I squat half of that and need to pray to the heavens for help. Amazing work right there.

That being said, I'm hitting the point of diminishing returns in the gym. It's gotten to the point where I'm failing a rep or two each session. It used to be relatively easy to throw extra weight on the bar and push through, but not anymore. Super frustrating. At least my body weight is staying the same; recomposition perhaps?

VniKG9S.png

BumRush

Omg, I squat half of that and need to pray to the heavens for help. Amazing work right there.

That being said, I'm hitting the point of diminishing returns in the gym. It's gotten to the point where I'm failing a rep or two each session. It used to be relatively easy to throw extra weight on the bar and push through, but not anymore. Super frustrating. At least my body weight is staying the same; recomposition perhaps?

VniKG9S.png

Dude for one month your pull / squat progress is great. You need to take a look at your press form, both bench and OHP and consider adding / switching accessories. Don't get discouraged. It's a plateau and you definitely have more in you.

Teggy

Ok, I see. I was thinking you meant dropping your hips from the position where you start the pull, and you meant dropping the hips into correct position to start the pull all in one motion. I have been getting all set with my shins to the bar, chest up and hips in place, pausing and then starting the pull. I'll give this a try.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
I'm about to move into my first deload week on 5/3/1. Do I need to deload my accessories?

Workout went well. Shoulder got better enough to do chins again, wrist got worse and I can't do lateral raises. Pretty good trade.

This graph is even better than the ones I get on the Multiyear IOS app. Source?

Fox318

I'm about to move into my first deload week on 5/3/1. Do I need to deload my accessories?

Workout went well. Shoulder got better enough to do chins again, wrist got worse and I can't do lateral raises. Pretty good trade.

That looks like stronglifts.

So much farting...

so much pooping...

free me from this fate
Sauerkraut. Just a little every day, raw. Or get some probiotics for that gut health. I prefer the sauerkraut :p Truth is if you eat a lot of eggs then the gloriousness of your flatulence may never go away!

I make my scrambles eggs with chopped Canadian bacon, spinach and feta. Yum! I can clear several blocks at once XD

Gold Standards "Extreme Milk Chocolate" flavored Whey is the mothafuckin truth.
I love that flavor. That and vanilla are too good.

Wulfric

Dude for one month your pull / squat progress is great. You need to take a look at your press form, both bench and OHP and consider adding / switching accessories. Don't get discouraged. It's a plateau and you definitely have more in you.

Aye, I'll have to start doing my homework in order to get any better. Alan Thrall's and Brolic's vids have been insightful in terms of learning how/where I should be grasping the bar. On top of that, I started doing DB press and farmer walks like you suggested. That should help some, I think.

Yep, it's Stronglifts on Android.

So much farting...

so much pooping...

free me from this fate

What happened? Not Chipotle I hope. Post if you're ok Grizz. D:

BumRush

Aye, I'll have to start doing my homework in order to get any better. Alan Thrall's and Brolic's vids have been insightful in terms of learning how/where I should be grasping the bar. On top of that, I started doing DB press and farmer walks like you suggested. That should help some, I think.

The DB presses should be 'paused'. That's important. Do flat one workout, incline the next. Chest responds well to a lot of volume so add another accessory if you have the time. Do you do any isolated tricep work? That will help both your bench and OHP.

sphinx

the piano man
I know this is going to be a very very unpopular opinion...

but for the first time I tried a Quest bar, the Cookie Dough flavor one, it was disgusting.

way too chewy and chunky, and it tasted as bad as any "low sugar" protein bar, (aka like cardboard) I couldn't even finish eating it.

I have to wonder whether I ate one past its expiration date, could that be possible?

aren't they supposed to be soft and easy to eat? .

I am sorry I failed the Quest test lol

Faiz

HRGbLeI.png

That's a great rack, man. I wanted to get an R-3 but ended up settling for an S-2 with safety arms added SOLELY because I couldn't quite get the height clearance to work for an R-3 in my basement (S-2 is technically 2 inches taller, but the uprights go between floor joists above and you can set the chin-up bar cross-member lower and with the R-3 you can't lower the chin-up bar). I was worried, as basically a squat stand, it might be insufficient but it's been totally fine, and there's a half-rack conversion kit I could spring for in the future if really needed.

Of course a couple months after getting mine they started offering a 6 inch shorter version of the R-3 which would have allowed space even for the monkey bar. Still miffed about that one.

For two people working out at the same time a double rig like yours would be amazing if you have the space.

Best thing about them to me is the 1 inch spacing between holes for safety arms in the bench range. That was a huge reason I went with them. Too many racks stick with 2 inches or more, and when I was going to a big gym I could never quite get the safety arms placed right for bench.

mdsfx

I know this is going to be a very very unpopular opinion...

but for the first time I tried a Quest bar, the Cookie Dough flavor one, it was disgusting.

I only like Mint Chocolate and the controversial Pumpkin flavor that some say tastes like ramen powder :)

Side note: It is refeed/cheat meal day. I'm a happy f*cking camper. Bonus: There's football on today. Double bonus: There's beer in the fridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom