• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never had an energy drink before, lol. Unless those caffeinated Four Lokos count. :\ That was a fun time.

4loko, the good ol days

man, those were fun

as for the monster

image_monster_ultrared_zeroultra_ultrablue1.jpg

love that stuff

mkenyon

Banned
Was finally able to use a 45lbs plate on my weighted chinups. Did 3x6 and my current bw is ~200 lbs. Also 110lbs on ohp for 6 reps
damn good work!

OHP is such a struggle, but it feels so damn good.
One of the most widely and longest studied supplements. I don't preload or go crazy. 1g per 40lbs of bodyweight and that's it.
He was asking about long term side effects, and there is no study for this.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne22.htm

People talk around the fact to rationalize it, and then cite anecdotal evidence that it has been used longer than recent times without anything major popping up. But the truth of the matter is that there aren't any long term studies, so we don't really know.

There's only been one study that looked at possible renal damage, but even that one was limited in scope.

It's currently banned by the NCAA for this reason.

Currently doing starting strenght, thinking of switching to 5-3-1 using the same routine.

Good idea/bad idea?

Should I use the maximum weight possible for all 3 sets?

For example, if I currently do 200x5x3 on benchpress, should I do 200x5, then 215x3, then 225x1? Or should I use the first two sets as more of a heavy warm up like 185x5, 205x3 and then 225x1?

That's not how 5/3/1 works, you need to read up on how to program it.

ILoveBish

Bad sleep, bad eating (no clue how much), and just stress from moving has caused my first fail at the gym. Only got 2 for 170 on ohp today. I just couldn't do it, felt not myself.

These things happen, so no worries. Will just continue on as if I had a normal day. I just can't wait till the move is over and I can get grinding again proper.

PBY

Banned
Bad sleep, bad eating (no clue how much), and just stress from moving has caused my first fail at the gym. Only got 2 for 170 on ohp today. I just couldn't do it, felt not myself.

These things happen, so no worries. Will just continue on as if I had a normal day. I just can't wait till the move is over and I can get grinding again proper.

Dude, first fail? I fail on OHP nearly every time at least once on my last set.

damn good work!

OHP is such a struggle, but it feels so damn good.

He was asking about long term side effects, and there is no study for this.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne22.htm

People talk around the fact to rationalize it, and then cite anecdotal evidence that it has been used longer than recent times without anything major popping up. But the truth of the matter is that there aren't any long term studies, so we don't really know.

There's only been one study that looked at possible renal damage, but even that one was limited in scope.

It's currently banned by the NCAA for this reason.
Ah gotcha. I don't know anyone with issues from taking it. Looking at all of my meds I take I should be dead already :D I understand the reservations, though.

-

Man, Spirit and FE are mighty fucking BEASTS! I picture both can just take a head off with a single swipe :O

Wulfric

Form check Wulfric?

Also, paused DB presses can help pulverize plateaus. Consider tossing then in as an accessory

Thanks for the tip, my stability is all over the place on bench. I'll shoot a quick form video next time. At this point it feels like the days of easy gains are behind me. Even squats are becoming difficult, and I'm only doing 235.

lol thank god I'm doing my exercises at home, my shorts just ripped up while squating.

lol, that's awkward. So did you finish the set or what? I'd be compelled to finish in a public gym.

ILoveBish

Dude, first fail? I fail on OHP nearly every time at least once on my last set.

I know this sounds cocky, but I rarely fail at the gym. Ego rages with so much success lifting. I know why it's happening, but it still bothers the crap out of me. I need to slow my roll and get myself in check.

I honestly need a 3 day fast. Soonest I can do one is maybe 2 or 3 weeks from now.

JoeNut

lol thank god I'm doing my exercises at home, my shorts just ripped up while squating.

Sounds like you're doing them right then!

Had a rest day yesterday as i was hungover, drinking really does throw me out of sync, i wish i could learn to stop but it's way too hard not to have a drink when we're entertaining clients at work.

I've opted into doing the Tough Mudder event in August which is a 12 mile obstacle course, anyone done this kind of thing before?

https://toughmudder.co.uk

mdsfx

I should really know this, but after switching from 5x5 to 5x3 due to failure and wanting to continue increasing weight, do I deload once I start failing 5x3 and return to 5x5?

5x5>failure>5x3>failure>?

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Reading up. Thanks :)

Edit: OK. Switching to 531.

Also, thank god for apps. I imagine running this in a spread sheet would be a little annoying.

There are a few 5/3/1 apps. Which one is the most recommended?

Random: Was just rolling my forearm (stupid tennis elbow) and I realised that when I hit certain points I can make my fingers move automatically. Fun!

(small things)

Cudder

I should really know this, but after switching from 5x5 to 5x3 due to failure and wanting to continue increasing weight, do I deload once I start failing 5x3 and return to 5x5?

5x5>failure>5x3>failure>?

If you use the app it tells you exactly what to do and how many times to deload before dropping the set/rep count. I did 5x5->5x3->3x3->1x3->1x1. It all depends on how far you wanna take it.

JoeNut

the only thing with 5/3/1 that puts me off is it seems a lot of messing around taking plates off/putting them on, does this not get annoying?

the only thing with 5/3/1 that puts me off is it seems a lot of messing around taking plates off/putting them on, does this not get annoying?

Ha what program doesn't require that? Once you graduate past your Insanity's, P90's and Beachbody routines your going to need to do more advanced movement along with fatiguing your muscles. Thats going to require drop-sets, staggered sets and so on. All of which require constant changes in weight and volume.

Spinluck

This caloric intake thing is harder than I thought.

6'2" 167lbs and I have to consume over 3000 a day?

Ffs...

I will say this though, ever since I've started working out again which has been about a month, my appetite has shot up like crazy. There were times before I started this where I could go a whole day on 2 decent meals. Now I'm hungry every other hour and finish my food much faster lol. I kind of like it tbh, I feel better and Stray away from nutritionally unsatisfying meals more often.

SeanR1221

People doing joker sets on beyond 5/3/1...do you always do them? I notice my recovery taking a hit for lower body. I'm thinking of maybe alternating joker sets for deadlifts one cycle and squats the next cycle.

Only problem I see with that 531 training is that it suggests dips as an accessory.

Dips give me pain in my collarbone and I'm not willing to push any more of those to avoid injury, any good alternative?

Dips are an upper body compound exercise that is heaviest on the triceps, so something like close grip bench press, or diamond push-ups. Or you could do some other upper body compound like rows or incline press and then an extra set of an isolation exercise, like a triceps pulldown or a triceps extension.

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
I rewatched the Ant video on deadlift form and deloaded almost 100 lbs yesterday. I tried to do super strict form and push with my legs. I had let Ego get in the way and was emphasizing on the weight than proper form. Got damnnnnnnnn, my ass is sore. It hurts to sit. I still have to do roadwork today as well.

entremet

I think I'm gonna run 5/3/1 this year, just to change it up.

I usually do a variation of Strong Lifts with accessories and weak point training, but I want a change.

I gotta alter it a bit because I think it has too much deloads. Way too much as RX.

GrizzNKev

Banned
This caloric intake thing is harder than I thought.

6'2" 167lbs and I have to consume over 3000 a day?

Ffs...

I will say this though, ever since I've started working out again which has been about a month, my appetite has shot up like crazy. There were times before I started this where I could go a whole day on 2 decent meals. Now I'm hungry every other hour and finish my food much faster lol. I kind of like it tbh, I feel better and Stray away from nutritionally unsatisfying meals more often.

I'm having a hard time at 2500 a day. So much damn food. Ughhh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom