• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UrAvgGuy

It is done. I'm finally engaged. I never thought I'd ever see this day. Honestly, without fitgaf, this day would never have happened. Best community on gaf by a country mile.

Going to be about 2 weeks till I'm finally settled back into normalcy and grinding hard. Looking forward to it.

congrats bro!

marmoka

Banned
It is done. I'm finally engaged. I never thought I'd ever see this day. Honestly, without fitgaf, this day would never have happened. Best community on gaf by a country mile.

Going to be about 2 weeks till I'm finally settled back into normalcy and grinding hard. Looking forward to it.

Congratulations dude!!

Freezing in my garage, squatting is gonna suck today.

I'm giving some serious thought to trying to insulate / heat my garage. Had to do my turbo trainer stuff yesterday without the fan on... which sounds fine, but I sweated so much that by the end of it I was completely wrecked.

Had I turned my fan on though I'd have been an icicle within 10 mins flat. I did try it for a while but it was actually painfully cold... had the ambient temperature been a bit higher it might have worked out. I've tried a infrared heater in combination with it, which just about works, but it's really hard to get it right.

Looked at a few propane space heaters, but I think it'd get real expensive, real quick (and I'd probably set myself on fire).

mkenyon

Banned
Might wanna consider a setup like mine. It includes dip bar attachments, monkey pull-up, band pegs, weight storage and safety catch bars.

Looks like it's more functional, takes up less space and has more options. It's also cheaper.

http://www.elitefts.com/eliteftstm-scholastic-3x3-half-rack-pack-2.html
Looking specifically at that rig as it'll allow both my wife and I to use separate areas at the same time, and to be able to have a cable pulley system set up semi-permanently.

But, yeah, that elitefts system is certainly more complete. Would need a couple of attachments (like the dip matador) in order to get the same functionality.

Plus, I'm a sucker for green.
For two people working out at the same time a double rig like yours would be amazing if you have the space.

Best thing about them to me is the 1 inch spacing between holes for safety arms in the bench range. That was a huge reason I went with them. Too many racks stick with 2 inches or more, and when I was going to a big gym I could never quite get the safety arms placed right for bench.
Yeah, just gonna put it in the garage for the time being. Once we sell our place and move, I'll look at reinforcing the joists and flooring in a specific room in order to take it. Half gym, half office with my gaming PCs.
At the (late) company Christmas party the topic of how much my wife and I eat and exercise came up. And once again the "wait until you have kids and we'll see what happens" comments came. It's starting to get really annoying and there's not much you can say back without sounding like a dick.
Embrace the Alpha.
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet

Gonna mod it?

Grats! If you take your work ethic you've had towards diet/lifting, and put it to use in your relationship, you're going to have a damn good one.

Congrats duder!

GatorBait

Ah yes, wake up this morning, step on the scale for a weigh-in, and I'm 1-2 lbs lower than I thought I'd be. You know what that means...I'm going to take this as a license to cheat day!

So far, breakfast:
Cinnamon cardamom latte, Mt. Rainer cherries and Bavarian cream beignet, and a small slice of apple galette (which apparently is a sort of French free-form, thin-crusted pie. I saw it on the counter at the coffee shop and just had to inquire about it. Looked good, sounded good, so I said fuck it and ordered it).

Lunch will actually probably be pretty non-cheaty. Need to eat some fruit I have in the house and I have a protein bar I'll have after the gym.

But for dinner...do I go Chinese food or buffalo wings tonight? All opinions and arguments will be considered.

I'm new to this community, but wanted to say congrats, as well. I'm at an age where I'm hitting the dating game pretty hard so I can transition to that next phase of life, and I hope I end up finding someone to share the type of chemistry and connection with that it sounds like you have.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So I guess resolutionist season started late this year. At the gym and it's taking forever to find parking. Every spot is full and like 10+ cars are looking for any spot that's open.

ILoveBish

Thanks so much guys. We aren't doing a wedding, saving our funds for a down payment on a place. I'm taking my strict approach to lifting and dieting into everything.

mkenyon

Banned
So I guess resolutionist season started late this year. At the gym and it's taking forever to find parking. Every spot is full and like 10+ cars are looking for any spot that's open.
The upside is that you know 99% of them are using machines and not racks.

Thanks so much guys. We aren't doing a wedding, saving our funds for a down payment on a place. I'm taking my strict approach to lifting and dieting into everything.

Sensible. Took me and the missus 13 years to get married, didn't do us any harm. :)

Unrelated, just finished my session... and for once I didn't hate it. I think knowing that I was on a deload for my deadlift helped a lot.

BumRush

Phwew...saves me the trouble of looking in my mailbox every day for the invite! Thanks for the heads up!!

ILoveBish

Wouldnt that mean you go without a house for a week like how you fast with food?

I don't know... wouldn't it be more like living on the street for 3 days then in a palace for a day? :D

I would walk the beaches for 3 days then come home. Good compromise.

Phwew...saves me the trouble of looking in my mailbox every day for the invite! Thanks for the heads up!!

Fitgaf wedding would be too amazing. Vests only, no shirts or coats.

I feel like I'm moving through soup. Woke up feeling like I had a brick in my sinuses and just dragging all day. Had to drop weight on chest day today just to get through it :( I hope I'm not getting sick.

https://www.defrancostraining.com/westside-for-skinny-bastards-part1/

The training for Skinny Bastards is broken in the first post: The link in the first post is broken. Anyhow is this actually good? Im a hard gainer so Im considering to give it a go.

Edit newest program: https://www.defrancostraining.com/westside-for-skinny-bastards-part3/

This is a good program, as are all of them. As a fellow skinny bastard, I can tell you that the hard part is food. You have to eat way more food but you also have to eat RIGHT. The first few months you just wind up feeling gross and bloated all the time and it's kind of hard to deal with.

Figure out how many calories a day you're eating and add 1000 to it. Switch it so you're eating every 2 hours instead of around every 4 like most folks do, that way those extra calories are 250 every extra 4 instead of trying to cram it into 3 meals. You should be eating 5-7 times a day depending on what your schedule looks like.

You should be adding around 4 lbs a month if your diet is on point, and if you keep the carbs, sugar, and crap food to a minimum you'll lose fat too.

Once your weight and progress plateaus, add another 500 a day and keep doing that until you reach whatever size you intend to be.

Socreges

Banned
Looking to order some protein powder online. Is there a writeup with recommendations anywhere?

Looking for muscle gain FWIW

Edit - also, previously used BSN syntha-6

Nelo Ice

Banned
I have no idea if this will work, but if it does, it's awesome.

https://www.facebook.com/kyleandjackieoshow/videos/1105787702789470/

3 year old kicking some ass in the gym (ass to grass on the squats too!).

Well shit I need to get on her level.

edit: So on another note is there a good sub for doing bench?. May have gotten another friend to do SS. He says he has everything available but problem with bench is every time he goes the bench is taken by multiple people. So I guess if it's actually available he'll do it. But from what I'm hearing it sounds like it's taken up anytime he goes. So is there anything else he can do in place of it?.

Socreges

Banned
So...

Whey Protein Concentrate or Whey Protein Isolate? The latter seems more conducive to building mass while Concetrate would give you more energy? *scratches head*

Please don't rip me a new one Fitness-GAF for my newbie questions... I read the OP but it didn't address exactly what I was hoping to ask (equipment restrictions)

I've been starting to lose weight through a diet as of late but now am wanting to just tone up (not really bulk up)

The thing is I don't have much equipment.. I have some dumb bells and resistance bands. Is there a simple routine that you guys can recommend to start off for someone with limited equipment and is fairly new to lifting anything in general?

Thanks!

lenovox1

Well shit I need to get on her level.

edit: So on another note is there a good sub for doing bench?. May have gotten another friend to do SS. He says he has everything available but problem with bench is every time he goes the bench is taken by multiple people. So I guess if it's actually available he'll do it. But from what I'm hearing it sounds like it's taken up anytime he goes. So is there anything else he can do in place of it?.

Dumbbell bench.

despire

So...

Whey Protein Concentrate or Whey Protein Isolate? The latter seems more conducive to building mass while Concetrate would give you more energy? *scratches head*

One has more carbs/fat and other doesn't. Protein is the same. If you're lactose intolerant get isolate.

It's not that critical really. Isolate is "better" but costs more so it's apples and oranges.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Dumbbell bench.
Duh thanks. Don't know how that didn't cross my mind lol.
But if the bench being taken is the problem how does that help? Unless there are free benches with no racks. I'd say ask to work in or put a free bench in a cage/rack if possible. Otherwise yeah, dumbbell bench. Push-ups are also good, especially if he's a beginner.

Nelo Ice

Banned
But if the bench being taken is the problem how does that help? Unless there are free benches with no racks. I'd say ask to work in or put a free bench in a cage/rack if possible. Otherwise yeah, dumbbell bench. Push-ups are also good, especially if he's a beginner.

I'm just going with the assumption there's free benches with no racks lol. Otherwise I've neer seen a gym without a dumbell area and free benches. Also if he has to resort to push ups how many should sets/reps should I be telling him to do?. Btw aside from this issue seems he has everything else available to do SS. Also I personally can't check since he's across the country so I'm doing what I can to help remotely.

Kiraly

Please don't rip me a new one Fitness-GAF for my newbie questions... I read the OP but it didn't address exactly what I was hoping to ask (equipment restrictions)

I've been starting to lose weight through a diet as of late but now am wanting to just tone up (not really bulk up)

The thing is I don't have much equipment.. I have some dumb bells and resistance bands. Is there a simple routine that you guys can recommend to start off for someone with limited equipment and is fairly new to lifting anything in general?

Thanks!

I'd check out /r/bodyweightfitness, lots of solid information to be found there.

mdsfx

This 5-3-1 program is enjoyable. I feel like it builds confidence before your amrap set. Also love how this app is always tracking your 1RMs based on that last set.

Down to about 11.5%BF and still holding on to 1RMs of 280 on squats and 240 bench. Still need another 1 or 2 bulks focused on legs to be more balanced. Also, this ceatine pump is fun.

Also got no sleep last night. All 3 kids are sick as well as my wife and I. Im a bumbling idiot-zombie today, but im still in the gym with no excuses. My rule: if I can make it to work, I can make it to the gym.

Vhalyar

I eased myself back into taking EC stacks since I want to keep cutting, and holy shit I underestimated how nice the energy bursts are. I aced all of the lifts I'd been struggling with for the last two weeks while maintaining 1300kcal/day. Maybe it's just in my head, but in particular the overhand press and deadlifts felt so light today <3.

Actual question - I'm moving to Barcelona and gyms there don't do powerlifting. it's a bit surreal. The best gym I could find that doesn't involve a ridiculous commute time doesn't have a power cage or squat rack or sawhorses or pretty much anything to do squats safely with. How are alternatives like Zercher Squats, Hack Squats, etc compared to your standard back squat?

PBY

Banned
hzQGqRM.jpg

Cross posting my weekend project bc there's some protein overlap bw this and the BBQ thread.

OG Kush

So... come to the conclusion I can't barbell squat for a bit. Always end up getting this twinge in my lower left back. Pretty sure its not my form, had trainers at the gym and other people check it. Might be some nerve or something.
Either way, what can I do to get big and strong legs if I can't barbell squats?
So far I have on my list is deadlifts (which type of deadlift is best for legs though?), lunges, bodyweight squats (eventually one leg/pistol squats hopefully) and leg press.
Anything else I can add? And also yeah what is the best deadlift for legs? Thanks

BumRush

hzQGqRM.jpg

Cross posting my weekend project bc there's some protein overlap bw this and the BBQ thread.

That looks incredible dude.

So... come to the conclusion I can't barbell squat for a bit. Always end up getting this twinge in my lower left back. Pretty sure its not my form, had trainers at the gym and other people check it. Might be some nerve or something.
Either way, what can I do to get big and strong legs if I can't barbell squats?
So far I have on my list is deadlifts (which type of deadlift is best for legs though?), lunges, bodyweight squats (eventually one leg/pistol squats hopefully) and leg press.
Anything else I can add? And also yeah what is the best deadlift for legs? Thanks

Stiff leg DL are great for your hamstrings but nothing will hit your quads like BB squats. If you absolutely can't squat, do the exercises you listed plus stiff leg DL and maybe throw in leg raises as an accessory. Hope you feel better soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom