• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faiz

Goddamn another cold coming on. I literally just got over the last one. It makes your head feel like a balloon and lifting becomes a pain in the ass.

Oh well, back to tons of water and popping cold meds. Squats tonight.

Right there with ya man. Just coming off anti-biopics from the upper respiratory infection that came out of the last cold I caught from my son... And today he went back to the doctor with a new cold so bad it turned into croup. I'll be sick again by Saturday!

SeanR1221

Right there with ya man. Just coming off anti-biopics from the upper respiratory infection that came out of the last cold I caught from my son... And today he went back to the doctor with a new cold so bad it turned into croup. I'll be sick again by Saturday!

It's been rough this year. I think it's because I have a lot of 3yr olds on my case load which means multiple classes of kids putting everything in their mouths.

Teggy

Urggggh failed 132.5 bench again. Granted, I am losing weight right now but this seems like the most basic thing for people. Roll of shame and everything.

Deload it is. I've already added dumbbell press but it hasn't had enough time to make a difference . Should I add dips too?

BumRush

ILoveBish

Hit the gym even when I didn't feel like it and kicked ass. Deadlift with 5x285, 5x330 and 5x375. Hit every rep easy, hit all accessories easily. Felt beast.

Staying at my brother's place this week while apartment is being remodeled, it's so fun walking into his garage and using the cage. I just wish he had more 45 plates, he needs 6 more at least.

Home gym is the best, but damn it takes up a lot of space.

KillerBEA

Urggggh failed 132.5 bench again. Granted, I am losing weight right now but this seems like the most basic thing for people. Roll of shame and everything.

Deload it is. I've already added dumbbell press but it hasn't had enough time to make a difference . Should I add dips too?
Benching sucks. I am usually able to add 5 pounds every other chest day. I got upto 115 and struggled really bad to do 3 reps. Almost failed to rack the bar on the last rep. I am improving, it's just so terribly hard compared to squats and deadlifts for me. Although today was a vast improvement over the last time.

Are you doing arms or shoulders in the day before chest? I found it easier doing chest after a rest day or leg day since the support muscles in the bench press are not still sore or recovering from other workouts. I just made this change and I can see a slight difference.

Teggy

Benching sucks. I am usually able to add 5 pounds every other chest day. I got upto 115 and struggled really bad to do 3 reps. Almost failed to rack the bar on the last rep. I am improving, it's just so terribly hard compared to squats and deadlifts for me. Although today was a vast improvement over the last time.

Are you doing arms or shoulders in the day before chest? I found it easier doing chest after a rest day or leg day since the support muscles in the bench press are not still sore or recovering from other workouts. I just made this change and I can see a slight difference.

I do modified Greyskull so I only lift 3 days a week and bench is the first exercise of the day when it comes up.

mdsfx

Ran 5 miles at a 7:56 pace this morning. That's a personal best for training. Doing much better than last year. Bring on the races!

Edit for relevancy: tried wide stance back squats the other day. Loved them. They fire up the hamstrings and glutes like crazy!

Ran 5 miles at a 7:56 pace this morning. That's a personal best for training. Doing much better than last year. Bring on the races!

Edit for relevancy: tried wide stance back squats the other day. Loved them. They fire up the hamstrings and glutes like crazy!

Thats fantastic bro. 5 Miles at that kind of clip makes you feel like your flying.

Vhalyar

Bumping my question, would be good to know what I can expect from not having access to proper safety equipment.

Actual question - I'm moving to Barcelona and gyms there don't do powerlifting. it's a bit surreal. The best gym I could find that doesn't involve a ridiculous commute time doesn't have a power cage or squat rack or sawhorses or pretty much anything to do squats safely with. How are alternatives like Zercher Squats, Hack Squats, etc compared to your standard back squat?

There are literally zero ways doing them seated is better than doing them standing. Unless you count being able to put a few extra lbs on the bar as something, which you shouldn't.

mkenyon

Banned
So, ya'll about that seated OHP or standing OHP?
I feel like the same people that do seated OHP see it as an accessory to the all important bench. These folks typically do quarter squats with three plates once a week too. And curls are their second most important compound lift after BP.

There are literally zero ways doing them seated is better than doing them standing. Unless you count being able to put a few extra lbs on the bar as something, which you shouldn't.

I feel like the same people that do seated OHP see it as an accessory to the all important bench. These folks typically do quarter squats with three plates once a week too. And curls are their second most important compound lift after BP.

I can't tell if these are jokes or not.

crpav

I opened my Mr. Hyde this morning and one scooped it along with some other additions for pump. I felt things....great workout but the feeling afterwards was like a toddler on sugar and mouintain dew. I felt jittery, amped and could not concentrate driving son to daycare and then to work.

mkenyon

Banned
I agree. Are you guys being serious or no? At first I thought it was a joke. Now I'm not so sure.
LOL

The best sarcasm is when they're not sure if you're being honest or not.

*edit*

On a more serious note, I downloaded the Wendler Log app, and it's pretty great. I feel like some of my progress is slow because I don't follow a really strict program. Gonna go balls deep into 5/3/1.

I bench standing up.

Beat that, fuckers.

Teggy

Going back to the popular exercises at the gym topic, the one thing that's really popular at my gym is something I don't even know the name of. It's basically a hinged sleeve that's bolted to the ground, and a 45 lb bar slides in. People load up the other end with plates and then lift it between their legs. Sometimes I see people doing more complicated things with a trainer, but mostly I just see guys load tons of weight on it and grunt while they pull the thing up. It would seem to do the same thing as rowing with a close grip, I guess.

All I know is they don't have a dedicated bar for it, so people are constantly having to steal the bar from one of the nearby places to use it.

mkenyon

Banned
Going back to the popular exercises at the gym topic, the one thing that's really popular at my gym is something I don't even know the name of. It's basically a hinged sleeve that's bolted to the ground, and a 45 lb bar slides in. People load up the other end with plates and then lift it between their legs. Sometimes I see people doing more complicated things with a trainer, but mostly I just see guys load tons of weight on it and grunt while they pull the thing up. It would seem to do the same thing as rowing with a close grip, I guess.

All I know is they don't have a dedicated bar for it, so people are constantly having to steal the bar from one of the nearby places to use it.
Landmine rows.

PBY

Banned

We have one of those and its pretty popular - I see people stand up w/ that sometimes, and roll it left and right to hit the abs too.

^^^ Yup to both. People use a triangle usually to do rows with them. Arm position is usually tucked at the sides instead of a wide grip like pendlays or bent over rows. Similar to doing a seated cable row but standing. Plenty of variants to row type exercises. I do them at home but don't have a land mine. I fold a towel up to cushion the rear end so it doesnt damage my walls and place it in the corner of the room. Works the same.

I can't tell if these are jokes or not.

It's not a joke. "Do you do seated OHP or standing OHP" is like asking if you do OHP or do push presses.

When I said I do it standing because I want to get stronger, it's not because seated doesn't work muscles. It just doesn't work as many muscles as it could, and on top of that, the deltoids and triceps and biceps work harder in a standing OHP. So why do it seated? You get stronger doing them standing. The only possible reason I could think of is because you've got an injury somewhere below your sternum and sitting means you won't aggravate it.

Bottom line is that the answer to seated or standing OHP is omg why are you asking this question.

Szu

I bench standing up.

Beat that, fuckers.

Ouch.

image001.png

Estellex

When is a good time to drink a protein shake after a protein rich meal? For example, let's say right after I workout I ate 10 pieces of buffalo wings.

If I take a protein shake an hour after that, wouldn't it be wasted since around 5-10g protein takes like an hour or so to processed?

I workout late at night so I don't have a time to wait.

Landmine rows.

One of the things I'm getting on my next rack. Some good moves you can do with them.

If I take a protein shake an hour after that, wouldn't it be wasted since around 5-10g protein takes like an hour or so to processed?

That sounds like it's going back to that myth of Xg per meal max. In short, it's bollocks. There are people here that get all their protein in one massive meal per day. You could theoretically eat so much of it that your body couldn't process it before you crapped it out, but that's not what the original science behind that number is about.

Don't worry about it.

PBY

Banned
When is a good time to drink a protein shake after a protein rich meal? For example, let's say right after I workout I ate 10 pieces of buffalo wings.

I workout late at night so I don't have a time to wait.

I think you're overthinking this.

I could totally be underthinking it though, I used to care a lot about that kind of stuff, realized it had such a marginal impact on me.

JoeNut

So today I was doing deadlifts, only at 60kg (usually do 80) because my legs were kinda sore from yesterday's squats. The gym PT came and asked if he could have a go during my rest, and when he did he had a really odd way of doing them, like all back and hardly bending his legs, and not putting the weight back to the floor. He then said deadlifts are all about the lower back and nothing to do with legs or glutes. He was just trolling me right? He also said after I'd mentioned I'm doing 5x5 that "nah it's all about the 12's"

So today I was doing deadlifts, only at 60kg (usually do 80) because my legs were kinda sore from yesterday's squats. The gym PT came and asked if he could have a go during my rest, and when he did he had a really odd way of doing them, like all back and hardly bending his legs, and not putting the weight back to the floor. He then said deadlifts are all about the lower back and nothing to do with legs or glutes. He was just trolling me right? He also said after I'd mentioned I'm doing 5x5 that "nah it's all about the 12's"
Sounds like Romanians from how you describe it but idk.

Szu

He needs to get that utility belt up around his belly. It's not going to help where's he's got it now.

It also doesn't help that he's using a really narrow grip.

But hey what do I know, I don't go around suplexing alligators.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom