• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Either way, what can I do to get big and strong legs if I can't barbell squats?

So far I have on my list is deadlifts (which type of deadlift is best for legs though?), lunges, bodyweight squats (eventually one leg/pistol squats hopefully) and leg press.

Anything else I can add? And also yeah what is the best deadlift for legs? Thanks

Have you tried Bulgarian split squats? They're pretty serious business for your legs on the whole (when you get past the initial balance issues).

As for best deadlift for legs, Romanian deadlift hits your hamstrings pretty hard, but getting the form right is tricky.

SeanR1221

So... come to the conclusion I can't barbell squat for a bit. Always end up getting this twinge in my lower left back. Pretty sure its not my form, had trainers at the gym and other people check it. Might be some nerve or something.
So far I have on my list is deadlifts (which type of deadlift is best for legs though?), lunges, bodyweight squats (eventually one leg/pistol squats hopefully) and leg press.
Anything else I can add? And also yeah what is the best deadlift for legs? Thanks

Before you pack it up post a form video here. I'm willing to bet there's a better chance the people you asked don't know proper squat form over the chance of a random nerve preventing squats.

korean food last night, so yummy

12558559_956513107770534_965567321_n.jpg

Decided I'm not going to use a company for my move. Going to invite some bros over for beer and pizza and have a day of "functional fitness".

Fox318

I feel lied to

I got a burrito

The burrito I had on their menu said 500 calories but online from their nutrition menu it says 1200.

GatorBait

hzQGqRM.jpg

Cross posting my weekend project bc there's some protein overlap bw this and the BBQ thread.

Dat smoke ring tho...

I'm currently not a fan of the idea of moving out to the suburbs and doing the house, white picket fence, and 2.5 kids thing, but if/when that happens I'm going to buy a smoker and turn to BBQing as my way to cope.

Funny aside, the first year after I moved to Kansas City, I added up (from my credit card statements) all the times I went to BBQ restaurants and I was averaging one like every 10 calendar days, which is even crazier due to the fact that I travel regularly for my job (usually out of town 3-10 days per month). If only I was bulking during that time frame...

Dips are probably my favourite exercise for chest and tris. I feel like it's the exercise that has given me the best returns. Just have to remember that it's not like squats, more depth isn't always better.

So... come to the conclusion I can't barbell squat for a bit. Always end up getting this twinge in my lower left back. Pretty sure its not my form, had trainers at the gym and other people check it. Might be some nerve or something.

Have you tried front squatting? I find it's a lot easier to keep your back straight and it hits your legs hard. It's a little different and just takes a while to get used to. I love them now, probably prefer them to back squats.

Wish I could do dips. Just puts too much pressure on my shoulders. Still try them from time to time, but I can just feel things tearing up.

Even skull crushers can cause me shoulder pain. Stupid broken body. Cable stuff works well, but I don't have a setup for it currently.

BumRush

Wish I could do dips. Just puts too much pressure on my shoulders. Still try them from time to time, but I can just feel things tearing up.

Even skull crushers can cause me shoulder pain. Stupid broken body. Cable stuff works well, but I don't have a setup for it currently.

Think we had this discussion already but are you going below parallel? Not leaning forward at all? I'm sure your form is tight but just hopin' to help a brother out

Can't say much for dips other than I feel you. For Skull Crushers I do them on a decline with dumbbells. This way you can still keep your arms perpendicular to your body while maintaining a negative angle for tension on the tricep at the apex of the push. I pretty much can't do them any other way.

entremet

You're all torn up, bud!

Cycling injuries?

The equipment I like for dips is a tapered dip station, anything else is usually too wide and hurts my shoulders more than it works my triceps. Same thing with wide pullup bars. Unfortunately i have only seen one gym that has long angled bars for dips, so I avoid this exercise

Think we had this discussion already but are you going below parallel? Not leaning forward at all? I'm sure your form is tight but just hopin' to help a brother out

No, as soon as I even get close to parallel I start to feel pain. I'm fairly certain going past would be an instant injury.

For Skull Crushers I do them on a decline with dumbbells. This way you can still keep your arms perpendicular to your body while maintaining a negative angle for tension on the tricep at the apex of the push. I pretty much can't do them any other way.

That's a really good idea, I'll try that, cheers. I'm also MUCH more comfortable doing dumbbell bench press on a decline vs flat or on an incline.

You're all torn up, bud!

Cycling injuries?

Broke both my collar bones when I was in my teens, plus I have hypermobility. End result, I've never gone more than three months without a shoulder injury.

Ambitious

I decided to finally do something for my body again. My first attempt at getting into shape was a failure, as I went overboard and gave up after a few weeks. The next attempt in the following year was just half-assed; I lacked discipline. I quit even sooner.

This time, I'm gonna stick with a short, but feasible routine, and I'm gonna set realistic goals. Most importantly, I will work out consistently. No more "not today"s.

100 squats, 50 push-ups, 50 sit-ups in five sets (20/10/10 in each set). Monday to Saturday; break on Sunday. Is this appropriate for a beginner? I don't know, but it sounds good to me. I will eventually expand my routine, of course, but for the time being, I'm gonna strictly follow this one. Maybe I'll increase the number of reps in a month or so.

Today's day two. I struggled with the push-ups in the first two sets because my muscles were still sore from yesterday, but I didn't have any problems with the remaining three sets. I feel good.

I decided to finally do something for my body again. My first attempt at getting into shape was a failure, as I went overboard and gave up after a few weeks. The next attempt in the following year was just half-assed; I lacked discipline. I quit even sooner.

This time, I'm gonna stick with a short, but feasible routine, and I'm gonna set realistic goals. Most importantly, I will work out consistently. No more "not today"s.

100 squats, 50 push-ups, 50 sit-ups in five sets (20/10/10 in each set). Monday to Saturday; break on Sunday. Is this appropriate for a beginner? I don't know, but it sounds good to me. I will eventually expand my routine, of course, but for the time being, I'm gonna strictly follow this one. Maybe I'll increase the number of reps in a month or so.

Today's day two. I struggled with the push-ups in the first two sets because my muscles were still sore from yesterday, but I didn't have any problems with the remaining three sets. I feel good.

Yup its a good program.
Just getting your mind and body used to a routine that you consistently do will reap huge dividends later. Plus engraining a form of behavior that becomes a habit will make it possible for you to constantly expand on your exercise choices and know you have the determination to stick with it.

No, as soon as I even get close to parallel I start to feel pain. I'm fairly certain going past would be an instant injury.

That's a really good idea, I'll try that, cheers. I'm also MUCH more comfortable doing dumbbell bench press on a decline vs flat or on an incline.

Broke both my collar bones when I was in my teens, plus I have hypermobility. End result, I've never gone more than three months without a shoulder injury.

How much is stretching a part of your program?

Nelo Ice

Banned
So at the gym and I'm legit scared for the guy squatting by me. He's doing quarter squats and unracking the bar with his back to it. To top it off he's not using safety bars. Also to all newbies here don't be that guy.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
So I've been hitting the gym again for the last month or so, and every time I finish a workout, I feel pretty nauseous—like I'm going to throw up. Makes it difficult to eat afterwards despite being kinda hungry and just a horrible post workout feel overall.

Anyhow, anyone experience this or know how to solve this? I figure it's me either eating too much or too little before a workout? I generally just eat two eggs and two strips of bacon then work out an hour and a half or two later (half a banana right before working out). Then I'll grab lunch afterwards.

mkenyon

Banned
So I've been hitting the gym again for the last month or so, and every time I finish a workout, I feel pretty nauseous—like I'm going to throw up. Makes it difficult to eat afterwards despite being kinda hungry and just a horrible post workout feel overall.

Anyhow, anyone experience this or know how to solve this? I figure it's me either eating too much or too little before a workout? I generally just eat two eggs and two strips of bacon then work out an hour and a half or two later (half a banana right before working out). Then I'll grab lunch afterwards.
What kind of activity are you doing?

A lot of people (including myself) can get nauseous when you max your heart rate. I always wanna puke after cardio or my daily runs because I finish with a sprint. I talked to my doc about it, and he said it's pretty common.

I used to always feel sick if I ate anywhere near working out. Even certain types of liquid make me feel sick if I'm really pushing it.

Personally I wouldn't eat any closer than an hour and a half before, but I do all my weights stuff fasted now so it's no longer an issue for me.

BumRush

How much water do you drink when you lift?

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
What kind of activity are you doing?

A lot of people (including myself) can get nauseous when you max your heart rate. I always wanna puke after cardio or my daily runs because I finish with a sprint. I talked to my doc about it, and he said it's pretty common.

Deadlifts, squats, bench press, and, lat-pulldowns, etc... not much cardio but the deadlifting definitely maxes my heart rate fast lol.

I used to always feel sick if I ate anywhere near working out. Even certain types of liquid make me feel sick if I'm really pushing it.

Personally I wouldn't eat any closer than an hour and a half before, but I do all my weights stuff fasted now so it's no longer an issue for me.

Yeah I think I'll try skipping the pre-workout banana and see how it goes. I remember back in my teens when I worked out much more frequently I used to eat oatmeal within an hour of working out and that would almost always result in that same nauseous feeling. However, outside of the banana this time I'm distancing my full meal by at least an hour or two.

How much water do you drink when you lift?

Quite a bit, I'm always drinking in between workout sets.

Anyhow, after I eat and shower I feel perfect and refreshed, so maybe it's not that big of a deal as Mkenyon said, but I'll definitely try just not eating anything for 2 hours before working out and see how that goes.

SeanR1221

Goddamn another cold coming on. I literally just got over the last one. It makes your head feel like a balloon and lifting becomes a pain in the ass.

Oh well, back to tons of water and popping cold meds. Squats tonight.

mdsfx

Goddamn another cold coming on. I literally just got over the last one. It makes your head feel like a balloon and lifting becomes a pain in the ass.

Oh well, back to tons of water and popping cold meds. Squats tonight.
I'm sick too. Keep at it!

Side note:
1 cup plain Greek yogurt + 2Tbs PB + Stevia = Awesome!!

PBY

Banned
Damn that looks so tasty. If you don't mind me asking, how'd you cook/prepare that? I always mess up my tri-tip.

Basically I've messed up brisket waaaay worse before, this was my 5th attempt.

I use a pit barrel cooker, HIGHLY recommend it btw. I basically put it in marinade overnight, woke up, applied mustard and dry rub, let it sit to room temp, then hung it in the smoker. Once it hit 160, I wrapped it in foil and beer, and let it get to 188. I put it in the oven for an hour at 200 degrees, although I regret that, should have just let it sit for a few hours.

Fat and fibre slow down digestion to the point that it can interfere with athletic performance. Although it seems like you're giving yourself a reasonable amount of time digest everything...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom