• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachimari

This Withings scale is a little weird. Yesterday I weighted 82kg, today I weight 84.5kg on the barren floor, but if I put the weight on a carpet, my weight will be 76kg. =/

[edit] I have started up a whole new Withings account, and my weight is now 80.6kg, so that's where I start. And my goal is 85kg by March 10. So I guess I have to eat food with lots of calories to gain that weight. And when I'm at 85kg, I'll start training, primarily to flatten my stomach.

Over the past 1.5 years, my stomach have unfortunately grown, and it makes me sad.

BumRush

Think I finally got over my hurdle in OHP o/ ... just to stall on BP :( . I need to add another accessory lift to help with the BP. Do you guys have any suggestions on that? I've been doing incline dumbbell flys, but I think they're doing more for aesthetics rather than helping out with the lift. What else should I add?

I'd recommend tailoring accessories to your trouble areas. What part of your bp is struggling? Getting it off your chest, locking out, arm stability, etc.

mdsfx

Dearest Cooter,

I was 159lbs on Friday, 168lbs Monday, and 160lbs today. What kind of f*cked up rollercoaster is this?

With Love,
Mich<3l

On another note, I averaged a 7:36 pace for 5 miles today. Felt really good. I'm very curious to see what happens when 'I turn it up' during my first race this year.

So, instead of just a flat BP being the main press, you replace it with incline BP and change the incline 3 weeks at a time? And aren't the close grip BP and dip more of a triceps exercise, is there some modification that makes them more a chest exercise (I suppose the BP is still a chest exercise)
Depends on how close the grip but I treat them as an accessory on occasion.

For inclines/declines yes. I do more incline than flat or decline but my incline varies between 15-30 degrees. Never had issues with chest development and I noticed the weight increase on flat the more varied my presses became vs sticking with flat bench as a main. I consider flat and incline to be main lifts on chest day, bb or db. Pick one and then do accessories. It works very well for me, but obviously, pay attention to what works for you.

My favorite bench press accessory is dips, straight up and down focuses on triceps, lean forward to put more work on the chest and anterior delts.

I also like wide grip bench press.

If you aren't already doing overhead press, being strong there will also help a little. Probably not as much as a close grip bench or an incline press, but it's good.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Dearest Cooter,

I was 159lbs on Friday, 168lbs Monday, and 160lbs today. What kind of f*cked up rollercoaster is this?

With Love,
Mich<3l

On another note, I averaged a 7:36 pace for 5 miles today. Felt really good. I'm very curious to see what happens when 'I turn it up' during my first race this year.

Put your hands up and enjoy the ride!

i finally could afford some nike romaleos 2.
got the orange one in yesterday. the smell of new shoes (y)
surprised they fit since i had to guess the size. 9.5 worked out great.

mkenyon

Banned
If I feel like I'm not quite yet at the point where 5/3/1 is pushing me hard, and I'm getting plenty of rest and food, is skipping the deload week a big deal?

I skipped it once, and am about to skip it again.

SeanR1221

If I feel like I'm not quite yet at the point where 5/3/1 is pushing me hard, and I'm getting plenty of rest and food, is skipping the deload week a big deal?

I'm halfway through my 4th cycle and haven't taken one yet.

mdsfx

I made deload week a one rep max week lol

mkenyon

Banned
Cool.

I think that'll get more important as I get up there on weights, but right now my 1RMs are 235 bench, 315 squat, 335 deadlift, and 145 press. Still pretty much intermediate.

I think I started the program too low as well, as on a lot of them I was calculating my 1RM based on the weight I was pushing at 5 reps in SS. I only ever actually tried a 1RM on deadlift.

Well, good news and bad news.

Good news; I've really not lost any strength after taking those three weeks off. I guess carrying around a house for days at a time isn't a bad accessory.

Bad news; I was going for a PR on bench, doing really well with it, then pulled something in my shoulder and failed after two reps on my last set. Doesn't seem serious, but it's annoying all the same. :(

ILoveBish

Can see my abs really well the past few days, now that I'm back on track diet wise, decided to weigh myself again. Shocked to see I'm up to 233.2, I look really thin and muscular right now, so not sure how I'm up 15lbs from my lowest I've been and look just as lean. My gym belt is still on the 11th belt hole as well. Very strange.

Cooter

What's everybody using to track their lifts?

Wasn't a fan of my fitness pal. Was pretty bloated.
This small piece of tissue in my cranium. I've never wrote anything down. Numbers have always been easy for me to remember.

I'd recommend tailoring accessories to your trouble areas. What part of your bp is struggling? Getting it off your chest, locking out, arm stability, etc.

I can't seem to get anything other than 4 reps. I tend to not be able to lock out (as in I can get it off my chest but never complete the range of motion). I get to 4 reps and then I realize I won't be able to finish it before I try to complete the last one and have to be rescued. I hope that made sense. What exercise should I add based on that?

Well, that's today done with. Two and a half hours of lifting / mobility work followed by some munch, then an hour of race simulation on the turbo trainer (averaging around 90% max heart rate).

Now to eat everything I can find (I have about three hours to find 2,000kcal, and have virtually nothing (healthy) in the house.

mkenyon

Banned
Well, that's today done with. Two and a half hours of lifting / mobility work followed by some munch, then an hour of race simulation on the turbo trainer (averaging around 90% max heart rate).

Now to eat everything I can find (I have about three hours to find 3,000kcal, and have virtually nothing (healthy) in the house.
1 Jar of PB + Yogurt + Bananas = 3k ez

:p

What's everybody using to track their lifts?

Wasn't a fan of my fitness pal. Was pretty bloated.

Eh...MFP is really just for calorie tracking. Use this instead:

https://www.jefit.com/

Perfectly customizable no matter what routine you're on (unless you're on one of the beachbody things I guess), right down to the rest times so you can track your workout as it's being done. Put together your workout routine and just take your phone with you to the gym.

BumRush

I can't seem to get anything other than 4 reps. I tend to not be able to lock out (as in I can get it off my chest but never complete the range of motion). I get to 4 reps and then I realize I won't be able to finish it before I try to complete the last one and have to be rescued. I hope that made sense. What exercise should I add based on that?

I would do triceps work - weighted dips - and do paused flat bench DB press. The aim with the DB press is to work past fatigue so you want to go with a rep range of 8 or so.

Also, I would finish every chest day with high volume 15-18 reps of cable flies (3 sets, very little rest). Great tension, again forcing your body to work well through fatigue.

SeanR1221

I would do triceps work - weighted dips - and do paused flat bench DB press. The aim with the DB press is to work past fatigue so you want to go with a rep range of 8 or so.

Also, I would finish every chest day with high volume 15-18 reps of cable flies (3 sets, very little rest). Great tension, again forcing your body to work well through fatigue.

All good suggestions. Also, don't forget just benching more, at less weight, after your work sets is always a great idea.

I use Fitocracy to track :)

ILoveBish

Great day at the gym, still plenty strong even at the new PSMF protocol. Only got 4 hours of sleep. Hope to fix that tonight. Done lifting till next week.

I use Google keep to track lifts. Just do it all manually.

I also use Jefit. 5/3/1 is a pretty simple program, but having it all set up beforehand in Jefit is convenient, the rest timer is better than clockwatching, and everything gets logged so if you're switching back to an old accessory exercise from a few cycles ago your last sets are right there waiting for you.

Teggy

I look at my app for what I'm supposed to be lifting, and by the time I'm partway through my warmups I've already forgotten and have to check again :p

Szu

This small piece of tissue in my cranium. I've never wrote anything down. Numbers have always been easy for me to remember.

That's because it all just one big number.

Cooter's internal monologue.

Today, I'm going to bench <insert big number> pounds.

Now, I'm going to tie <insert big number> lbs of weights on my ass and do muscle ups.

I'm not going to eat anything for about <insert big number>. After that, I'll consume <insert big number> of calories.

Reset.

So when you say paused, do I pause when its down at my chest or at the point where I'm having the most trouble which would be after I make it off my chest.
All good suggestions. Also, don't forget just benching more, at less weight, after your work sets is always a great idea.

I use Fitocracy to track :)

I'll probably do that too, I just never really know the rep range I should do those at or at what weight I should bench at. Is there some percentage of my current weight that I should be doing those at.

Either way, thanks for the suggestions, I'll be sure to implement them on my next chest day.

Cooter

That's because it all just one big number.

Cooter's internal monologue.

Today, I'm going to bench <insert big number> pounds.

Now, I'm going to tie <insert big number> lbs of weights on my ass and do muscle ups.

I'm not going to eat anything for about <insert big number>. After that, I'll consume <insert big number> of calories.

Reset.
lol!

sphinx

the piano man
Body makes no sense. 3,600kcal yesterday (keep in mind I only weigh 150lbs) and still lost a lb.

I am also trying to figure out what my body is doing currently.

I missed the gym a whole week due to all kinds of stress, yesterday I go back and I step on the scale like I usually do. I am like a kilo heavier.. I think "yeah I got fat cause I ate as if I was training but I didn't train at all".

I see myself on a pump during workout, my clothes don't feel tight at all, I actually look rather well, body feeling and looks mean I should have lost weight/muscle, scale says otherwise.

one explanation is that maybe that one week gave my body ample time to restore muscle fiber and got... gains?? then I think "yeah sure, you got gains by not going to the gym??" and dunno anymore, who knows

BumRush

So when you say paused, do I pause when its down at my chest or at the point where I'm having the most trouble which would be after I make it off my chest.

Either way, thanks for the suggestions, I'll be sure to implement them on my next chest day.

Pause at the bottom, parallel to your chest, for 5 seconds each rep. Do the three things I suggested AFTER you bench, of course!

Let us know how it goes.

Fox318

Any tips for breathing with regards to multiple reps for deadlifts?

Should I hold my breath the entire time or breath out after each rep?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom