• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Szu

Use a strobe light, smoke machine and wear a leather mask. Make sure the chains, whips and swings are visible in the frame.

1311081665850.gif

Dude. I finally decided to try my wife's dark chocolate PB yesterday. That was a bad idea. 5 spoonfuls later...

haha. i won't open mine then

-

Yesterday a friend and I ended up doing some band sumo deadlift for like 5 sets and we took the band off for the last one.

well lets just say my legs were so accustomed to the resistance of the band at 135# because it was our first time. I did the final set without the band at 225# and man. my legs were got used to the band when i was at the top i sorta lost my balance because i forgot i didn't have the band on there. it just went up fast lol.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Body makes no sense. 3,600kcal yesterday (keep in mind I only weigh 150lbs) and still lost a lb.

Man, it's almost as if body weight and everything that factors into it is not determined by a simple calories in - calories out equation in an arbitrary 24-hour window!

Sorry for the snark.

mdsfx

Man, it's almost as if body weight and everything that factors into it is not determined by a simple calories in - calories out equation in an arbitrary 24-hour window!

Sorry for the snark.

lol yep. For me, carb and water intake fluctuations change everything, almost regardless of calories.

Ekdrm2d1

A musician wants to meet with me during my fitness time. He has a new album out. I will also be getting a 16-year old poster signed by him. Should be great!

Feeling guilty because it's going to interrupt my fitness time. Blah!

I guess it's okay to skip today. I haven't seen the musician in 2 years so..

lol yep. For me, carb and water intake fluctuations change everything, almost regardless of calories.

Never really noticed a difference for either of those factors. For me it's usually almost entirely down to calories. Problem tends to be that I can't get calorie burn totals that I can rely on (they need significant tweaking over time).

Sorry for the snark.

Maybe not just, but it's usually pretty damn reliable in my case. I can normally get it accurate to within about 500kcal for weight loss / stable weight / weight gain.

SeanR1221

Baby bench is still a baby. 190x5,4,4. I wonder if I could have gotten 3x5 if I wasn't so damn nervous about my shoulder. At least my shoulder felt good the entire time but I'm hesitant to grind anything out.

sphinx

the piano man
So I couldn't find greek yogurt in stores here.

There was one "Greek yogurt" that had a shitton of fat, some carbs and little protein, definitely not the same high protein source you guys are taking in the US.

Found cottage cheese though and that is pure protein, indeed. Glowing nutritional facts, lol.

so has anyone tried to spread Peanut butter on a loaf of bread and put a good sized portion of cottage cheese on top?? can that be my future breakfast for the next months?? I am about to try it. Not sure Cottage and PB mix,

sphinx

the piano man
so I just had three slices of bread with peanut butter and cottage cheese.

I'd rate it a solid 7/10, so far (I have to see what will happen to my stomach in the next hours)

PB and CC dont mix very well but it's not bad either, I have to find something better than PB (strawberry jam and dat sugar were out of the question)

This is what you're looking for: http://uk.fage.eu/product/yoghurt/total-greek-yoghurt-170g

Or the 0% one if you're really obsessed about your calorie intake.

(Also known as strained yogurt)

that's in the UK right? my friends in Mexico have also found the "good" greek yogurt so I guess I haven't looked hard enough in stores here in Germany

Teggy

so I just had three slices of bread with peanut butter and cottage cheese.

I'd rate it a solid 7/10, so far (I have to see what will happen to my stomach in the next hours)

PB and CC dont mix very well but it's not bad either, I have to find something better than PB (strawberry jam and dat sugar were out of the question)

that's in the UK right? my friends in Mexico have also found the "good" greek yogurt so I guess I haven't looked hard enough in stores here in Germany

Half a cup of cottage cheese, 1 scoop of chocolate protein powder and 2 tablespoons of PB2 is a pretty good snack.

Wow, that turbo trainer session was horrible. Started to cramp up in a couple of the intervals, and I couldn't stand and crank it out because a lot of the muscles involved are sore from the deadlifting yesterday.

Nearly threw up, feel really shaky now. :(

Visceir

Was doing some narrow grip heavy lat pulldowns and felt a strange tear-crack in my left lat on the way up. Definitely felt like I tore something as that spot started getting warmer and I had that trauma-like feeling, but oddly enough it didn't hurt. Stopped my workout right then and there.

Still doesn't hurt, but it definitely feels tender when I touch that area. Too scared to do any back exercises next week or two.

I'm guessing something like this isn't all too common?

Wulfric

Back at pre-Super Bowl weight this morning. Onward.

Is that good or bad? I'm losing weight like crazy, but that's only because I'm stuck eating cafeteria food. >_>

Psychotext, was it a group session or solo? Group workouts at the gym seem pretty hit or miss.

BumRush

For size is it best to do decline and incline bench and abandon flat? In the same day?

I would never abandon flat bb bench. With that said, if you're looking for size I suggest throwing in incline db press, flys, decline press, weighted dips, etc. but not all in the same workout. The goal is to workout all of the different muscles of your chest, and flat bench covers a large portion of them.

Volume volume volume.

What's your currently chest day like?

AnAnole

Uh, I dropped the bar on my chest doing bb bench yesterday. My grip was fine, even checked out bench grips afterward, I just inexplicably let go of the bar with my left hand during the negative of the 4th rep. 185 lbs dropped several inches on to my chest and bounced like it was a trampoline. I regained my grip after it bounced off my chest and managed to rack the bar while trying not to panic. I was sure I damaged or broke something, but after a few minutes of embarrassment I still felt OK. easily got 185 × 10 after that and then 205 x 8. Has anyone else ever done that? I think it may have been because I was too amped up on caffeine.

Careful with that buddy, people have literally died that way.

I'm a bit of a pussy, but I'm glad I've got spotter bars just in case the shit hits the fan.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Replacing dips with db press as one of my press accessories, as my shoulder refuses to heal.

Press - 100lbs 1x5, 110x3, 125x4
Pull-ups - 8, 5, 5 at 195lbs body weight
Db press - 40s 2x10, 1x5

Feeling good about the switch to 5/3/1. My wrist is almost 100% and I'm getting stronger.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Uh, I dropped the bar on my chest doing bb bench yesterday. My grip was fine, even checked out bench grips afterward, I just inexplicably let go of the bar with my left hand during the negative of the 4th rep. 185 lbs dropped several inches on to my chest and bounced like it was a trampoline. I regained my grip after it bounced off my chest and managed to rack the bar while trying not to panic. I was sure I damaged or broke something, but after a few minutes of embarrassment I still felt OK. easily got 185 × 10 after that and then 205 x 8. Has anyone else ever done that? I think it may have been because I was too amped up on caffeine.

Do you use suicide grip? I've seen some bad videos on YouTube, unfortunately...

_Isaac

Any tips for breathing with regards to multiple reps for deadlifts?

Should I hold my breath the entire time or breath out after each rep?

Breathe out after each rep. I inhale at the bottom of the lift, hold it throughout the rep, and then exhale once I'm back down. That's how the Starting Strength book taught me at least.

Teggy

Is that good or bad? I'm losing weight like crazy, but that's only because I'm stuck eating cafeteria food. >_>

That's great for me because I'm cutting. I actually weighed in at 187.4 this morning and when I weighed myself before going to the gym this evening I was 186.0!

despire

Ok I'm really enjoying Bigger Leaner Stronger 5-day routine. I haven't had any real experience from splits as I have only done full body or upper/lower before.

Sure it kinda sucks waking up at 5am almost every day but what are gonna do.. The workouts are short-ish and intense and focused. I like that I can put my efforts in to one thing (ie. body part) at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom