• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BumRush

Thanks, might have to get myself one. My fruits/veggies are being neglected in my quest for calories on this dirtiest of dirty bulks.

In all honesty, the nutribullet won't chop veggies nearly as finely as the vitamix/blendtecs. The professional level blenders make anything into pure liquid.

I have vegetables as if they're water. Any time I open the fridge I grab some. Make it a habit.

Nutribullet wont, Nutrininja might. I have one and it's a beast.

Jesus... talk about co-incidence, I wrote that and at that exact moment there's one on the program I'm watching (Mad Dogs).

Szu

Nutribullet wont, Nutrininja might. I have one and it's a beast.

Jesus... talk about co-incidence, I wrote that and at that exact moment there's one on the program I'm watching (Mad Dogs).

Yeah, Nutribullet won't cut it. I'm kinda like a Nutrininja, maybe I'll give a try.

despire

Has anyone here ever got a tailored suit (well in advance of the occasion)?

We are getting married in July and I need a fitted suit. I need size 50 jacket (but waist would need to be fitted anyway) and 48 pants. Buying ready made is probably not an option. It would actually be more costly and they would need to be modified anyway so it doesn't make sense. Most suits are anyway sold as a package and the mix-and-match suit options are more limited.

For example a ready made suit we were checking out would cost 650€ plus the tailoring needed (80€). A fully tailor-made suit would cost only 485€ (as they are made in Thailand and then shipped here for fitting).

So we are getting the tailored one as it's cheaper and will fit me better. But the problem is that as a gymgoer my body is constantly changing. I'm probably not the same size in July as I'm now unless I pay attention to this. Plan is to cut down now so I can get the suit ordered within the next two months. Then just maintain the same bf%/muscle size until the wedding. Or if I gain size, I need to cut down even further to fit in.

Dunno, maybe I'm overanalyzing this..

ILoveBish

Vitamix here. I love it but I never use it due to being psycho strict diet wise and eating the exact same thing everyday. When I was more adventurous, it was a really awesome tool.

Also got the rack at the gym thankfully and got 7x145 on ohp nice and easy. Feeling really strong even with such low calories.

Has anyone here ever got a tailored suit (well in advance of the occasion)?

We are getting married in July and I need a fitted suit. I need size 50 jacket (but waist would need to be fitted anyway) and 48 pants. Buying ready made is probably not an option. It would actually be more costly and they would need to be modified anyway so it doesn't make sense. Most suits are anyway sold as a package and the mix-and-match suit options are more limited.

For example a ready made suit we were checking out would cost 650€ plus the tailoring needed (80€). A fully tailor-made suit would cost only 485€ (as they are made in Thailand and then shipped here for fitting).

So we are getting the tailored one as it's cheaper and will fit me better. But the problem is that as a gymgoer my body is constantly changing. I'm probably not the same size in July as I'm now unless I pay attention to this. Plan is to cut down now so I can get the suit ordered within the next two months. Then just maintain the same bf%/muscle size until the wedding. Or if I gain size, I need to cut down even further to fit in.

Dunno, maybe I'm overanalyzing this..

Same issue. Just get a suit that fits close enough then get it fitted a week or so before the event. Nothing more you can really do.

I waited until very close as I was basically cutting right up until the day before. I could barely fit in it when I first tried it on, but it was good for the day.

Edit - Awwww yissss, power rack and bar have shipped, and my new set of olympic weights is due for delivery.

SeanR1221

Hmmmm. I'm thinking 2400ish calories is my limit. So last week I hit an all time low of 185 eating 2300ish. Had a huge cheat meal of pancakes that next day but everything else was sensible.

Since then I've been 189-188 and haven't budged. Even with a couple under calorie days. Since its been a week I'm going to try 2300 again.

I also feel like I haven't had a good poop in days but I don't know how much that's accounting for :/

It's a bummer to see the scale slightly trending up for the first time in over a year.

That's awesome dude. You looking to buy anything else for the gym or are you set for a while?

I'm considering some bands or chains, but I'm in no rush (I actually already have some bands, but I'm assuming I'll need two of each if I plan on attaching them to the bar).

As I'll be replacing my old rack (which had dip bars) I'm assuming that I'll need a set of dipping bars too, but I don't do dips very often anyway because of my busted shoulders so I doubt I'll rush on that either.

I went through it when I was younger. I thought that was eventually banned though?

never heard lol. generic brand are fine though,

Good luck with your accutane treatment! It changed my life for the better some years ago.

Also, I actually don't think I can do a single real pull up on my chin up bar. It hurts my arm like crazy.

thanks!

I feel for ya man. Went through two rounds of it when I was 17 and still didn't clear everything up. I'm 39 and still have complexion issues.
2 rounds? not like 2 months but like 2 6 months or however long they made you?

well i'm 30 and on my second month so i don't expect miracles to happen.

and it seems that fragile day was just an off day. phew.

It was determined that it was leading to depression and suicide.

oh. well let me just say the first brand i took Myorisan gave me such a good feeling compared to this cheaper one zenatane. if anyone do take it ask for that one. it's one of the pricier ones lol.

AnAnole

Hmmmm. I'm thinking 2400ish calories is my limit. So last week I hit an all time low of 185 eating 2300ish. Had a huge cheat meal of pancakes that next day but everything else was sensible.

Since then I've been 189-188 and haven't budged. Even with a couple under calorie days. Since its been a week I'm going to try 2300 again.

I also feel like I haven't had a good poop in days but I don't know how much that's accounting for :/

It's a bummer to see the scale slightly trending up for the first time in over a year.

Didn't you lose a significant amount of weight? Starvation mode may not be real, whatever that refers to, but adaptive thermogenesis certainly is. Your metabolism will always be at least 10-20% lower than it would be for someone of the same height/weight/composition who hasn't lost a similar amount of weight. I'm 5' 10" 180-185 lbs and I gain if I go over 2,200 kcal even though my fitbit says I should be burning 3,000+ kcal a day because of how active I am - and the fitbit isn't even factoring in my resistance training. It really sucks, but that's just how it is for anyone trying to maintain a large weight loss.

Faiz

thanks!

2 rounds? not like 2 months but like 2 6 months or however long they made you?

well i'm 30 and on my second month so i don't expect miracles to happen.

and it seems that fragile day was just an off day. phew.

Yep. It was a full year. It sucked.

If I remember correctly, it said that it might lead to suicidal thoughts on some rare people/occasions. My most severe side effect was dry skin.

Anyway, shit works.

Yeah I never had suicidal thoughts though I did mood swing down quite a bit. My dry skin was off the charts - constant lips peeling and cracking, lots of nosebleeds.

Didn't you lose a significant amount of weight? Starvation mode may not be real, whatever that refers to, but adaptive thermogenesis certainly is. Your metabolism will always be at least 10-20% lower than it would be for someone of the same height/weight/composition who hasn't lost a similar amount of weight. I'm 5' 10" 180-185 lbs and I gain if I go over 2,200 kcal even though my fitbit says I should be burning 3,000+ kcal a day because of how active I am - and the fitbit isn't even factoring in my resistance training. It really sucks, but that's just how it is for anyone trying to maintain a large weight loss.

On top of this, you always need to adjust lower over time to account for the drop in the weight you're carrying around.

It's another reason that I'm not a great fan of formulas for this sort of thing.

AnAnole

On top of this, you always need to adjust lower over time to account for the drop in the weight you're carrying around.

It's another reason that I'm not a great fan of formulas for this sort of thing.

The formula for TDEE was quite accurate when I was 300+ lbs. I always updated it every 5 lbs and kept my physical activity the same. After about 50 lbs of weight loss, it was clear that the formula was starting to overestimate my TDEE. At 150 lbs of weight loss, the formula massively overestimated my TDEE. This is just a function of autonomic adaptations that occur from weight loss due to changes in letpin, thyroid hormones and adipocyte insulin sensitivity (small adipocytes are more sensitive to insulin and easily sequester fat - ppl who lose large amounts of wt have a relatively greater amount of small, insulin sensitive adipocytes).

SeanR1221

Well I was down to 2000 and I've been reverse dieting up to see how high I can go while maintaining.

mdsfx

Realistically, how many boxes did you eat on your
2 week
bulk?

I will never call my increase in calories a bulk again lol

Real answer (if i remember correctly): 3x tag-a-longs, 2x thin mints, 2x savannah smiles, 2x samoas

Ok... so working out with a belt is STRANGE. It clearly helped my OHP, but my squat felt terrible, and I don't think I'll use it again on Pendelay rows. Technically I set a PR on squat, but I'd be amazed if my form wasn't completely screwed when I look back at it on the video. Really hurt my abs too, at one point it felt like they were trying to escape around the edges of the belt.

That aside... it's astonishing how fast you can lose your motivation when life stuff happens. I've got some relationship issues at the moment and I've already skipped one day this week, and it took me an hour to persuade myself to get in the pain cave tonight. Not good.

Finally, how do I do this PB&J thing?

Obviously I'm going to be using "jam", because, yeah, jelly is something else over here. How much of each am I supposed to be using though, and what sort of "jelly" is best?

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
So today is supposed to be an off day, but I really want to get into the gym. Think I'll do some muscles I've missed.

What are you're shoe preferences? I tend to switch between running shoes and Chuck Taylors depending on the day.

ILoveBish

I had to stop eating peanut butter, it's just too addictive.

Damn, Bish practically giving up gaming in the trading thread.

I wish I could game man. I get this sense of shame and anxiety when I play anything now. I'm just giving up for now. I have my gaming PC still at least.

Granadier

I wish I could game man. I get this sense of shame and anxiety when I play anything now. I'm just giving up for now. I have my gaming PC still at least.

The feeling that there's always something better you could be doing.

mdsfx

I had to stop eating peanut butter, it's just too addictive.
635865232248922374-121501959_peb6.gif

So today is supposed to be an off day, but I really want to get into the gym. Think I'll do some muscles I've missed.

What are you're shoe preferences? I tend to switch between running shoes and Chuck Taylors depending on the day.

i have 3 pairs.

Nike Romaleo 2 for squats only. (sometimes i just wear socks when i'm too lazy to put on shoes
Chucks and Reebok crossfit lite TR. the chucks are too big but i used them for deadlifting but using the reebok since it's more fitted (gotta buy new fitted chucks)

but i alternate b/w chucks and reebok on most days.

oh. and sandals because i drive barefoot and change when i get to the gym lol.

I don't eat bread, but no... people were talking about putting it in a bowl.

PB&J really isn't that much of a thing in the UK, so whilst it may sound strange to you that I don't really know how much of each, it's not something I was brought up doing. :p

Granadier

i have 3 pairs.

Nike Romaleo 2 for squats only. (sometimes i just wear socks when i'm too lazy to put on shoes
Chucks and Reebok crossfit lite TR. the chucks are too big but i used them for deadlifting but using the reebok since it's more fitted (gotta buy new fitted chucks)

but i alternate b/w chucks and reebok on most days.

oh. and sandals because i drive barefoot and change when i get to the gym lol.

How come you use the Nike's over the Chucks for squats?

sphinx

the piano man
Ok so far so good, I ate my meals and I went to the gym and did everything, I am motivated and because I eat more I get done with my sets faster, it's so noticeable.

if I managed to keep dong this consistently I think I'll see some nice gains in Summer.

I fear for the gut though, I'll need new gym shirts that are more loose down there -_-

What's your plan?

for starters to eat my three meals and snacks.

I rarely take breakfast and all this time I was barely eating to reach maintenance, needless to say, I... well, maintained, lol and looked mostly the same bar some modest progress on my back and arms.... It's ok I am not upset because I was aware training had taken a back seat, in 2012-2014 I was progressing very well, later I struggled but that's life, you just try to come back stronger and with more knowledge.

Yeah, bollocks to that.

no way I do that, not only because I can't fit all that crap in my stomach but because I have things to do! I can't pull tuna/pasta/spinach out of fucking nowhere and I don't want to be a slave to the timed meals like that.

there's a cheat day too so if everything fails I go full cooter mode, fuck it.

March 1 progress pic.

June 15 is my current endgame. Maybe lose another 15 or so lbs by then?

We in it, mang.

Hell yeah, mid-june as my endgame as well.

March 01 is the day we change the freaking world.

let's do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom