• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two guys worked in between my sets on squats today. He was helping out his friend with leg. His friend was doing 275# but I think he hurt his back. Friend was like you go do it with ligter weight. He was showing his friend where it hurts and tried to jist do air squats and got stuck at the bottom. Must have been bad if he walked to the corner by himself. Idk why he ecennkeptndoikg squats on the hack squat machine. He looked like he was in pain during the whole thing. Friend was like we go do leg press. I kinda wanted to ask if he was okay.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Quick question. I've been working out 5-6 days a week since the start of the year and I'm down 18 pounds so far while having put on a lot of muscle, which is great, but my stomach has barely shrunk at all. My arms, legs, chest, and upper back have gotten noticeably more toned but nothing seems to make my belly go down.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Quick question. I've been working out 5-6 days a week since the start of the year and I'm down 18 pounds so far while having put on a lot of muscle, which is great, but my stomach has barely shrunk at all. My arms, legs, chest, and upper back have gotten noticeably more toned but nothing seems to make my belly go down.
Less food will make your belly go down. Are you tracking your daily calories? Also, if you're down 18lbs I bet you have lost some size around your midsection. It's hard to judge seeing yourself daily. Do you know for a fact it is not smaller? Did you measure before the weight loss?

despire

Few things:

-Finally getting back in the gym! Had to take a week of because of a flu. I'll just treat it as a deload but god I was going crazy. Need to get rid of this bloat.

-Mixing whey with oatmeal and bananas is pretty great. I think my go-to PWO meal will be a boal of oatmeal with aa scoop of whey and a banana or two mixed in from now on. Just wish I had something other than peach flavored whey and it would be even better.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
"Can you believe that huge vein in my arm almost vanished in a dimly lit room?? This bulk is over!"

Cagey

Banned
"Can you believe that huge vein in my arm almost vanished in a dimly lit room?? This bulk is over!"
Big mistake I made this weekend: watching all of the Fit to Fat to Fit episodes while in the middle of a bulk.

The amount of time spent in front of the mirror afterward asking myself "this is a legit bulk right, those cookies totally fueled your PR on bench last week right..." while poking my belly fat.

Still housed the cookies after.

GrizzNKev

Banned
lol.

I started my bulk fat, just getting fatter.

I tell myself I'll look good on the closing end of the cut though. See you in like, November or something. ughhhhhhhhhh

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Less food will make your belly go down. Are you tracking your daily calories? Also, if you're down 18lbs I bet you have lost some size around your midsection. It's hard to judge seeing yourself daily. Do you know for a fact it is not smaller? Did you measure before the weight loss?
Yeah, cut back on calories quite a bit. It's gone in a lot around my ribs but my stomach has hardly changed. It's weird because everything else is making good progress, moreso than I expected. Guess I just need to keep going.

So I went to the trainer to get the calipers done this arvo but he didn't give me a BF % only mm for different areas. Only problem is the online calculators need the chest calipers reading but he didn't do that area. Can anyone help me work out my BF based on the following data.

Bicep- 4mm
Tricep - 7mm
Subscap - 10mm
Mid thigh - 8mm
Calf - 11.5mm
Supra - 13.5mm
Abdominal - 6mm

Weight - 75.5kg
Height 177cm
Male age 30

Here are my progress shots, first shot was December at 80kg, second shot is today (essentially march) at 75.5kg. I've lost mid section weight but overall I think I've lost size, which I guess was bound to happen on a cut. I've been increasing lifts though so I guess that's a good thing? First ever cut FitGAF. Go easy on me :)

Would I be ok to start my first bulk in mid April, that was the plan but it depends on body fat I guess. Am I on the right track with that thinking?

despire

Something I've been waiting anxiously has apparently finally launched:

https://www.avatarnutrition.com

Layne Norton mentioned this (he's one the guys behind it) in one of his post a while back. It's basically a premium macro calculator that gives you your numbers based on your stats and individual needs/traits. The cool thing is that it keeps adjusting those numbers based on your progress and how things are going. Not losing weight? The system will automatically give you updated calculations to keep things going again. So basically it should take the quesswork out.

Dunno how well it works but I'm gonna try it for a month or two. 10 bucks a month ain't bad if it works well enough.

Edit:
I guess it's been up for a while but I haven't really seen Layne mention it by name until today. Been trying to search for it every once in a while.

mdsfx

Yeah yeah lol

Anyways, 250x6 squats today. Never pushed myself through reps that slow/hard before. Feels so good to pull through it.

Admittedly, I started using a bar pad on anything above 225. My back just doesn't have the strength/padding to support that much without hitting my spine, even flexing with a narrow grip :( Doing everything I can to build it up so I can stop using this thing on heavier sets.

Pachimari

2 weeks after my purchase, I still haven't been able to hang up my chin up bar. Ugh. Gonna try and find those screw anchors we talked about earlier today, and I'm gonna go ask in a fitness/weight store if they know how to mount it on a wall.

[edit]
I think I got it to work now. It's sturdy on the wall.

Admittedly, I started using a bar pad on anything above 225. My back just doesn't have the strength/padding to support that much without hitting my spine, even flexing with a narrow grip :( Doing everything I can to build it up so I can stop using this thing on heavier sets.

I had the same problem and in the end I just had to say fuck it and live with the discomfort. It got better over time.

You could always specifically target your traps for size increases too. ;)

Belt has arrived. I was going to wear it around for a bit but I'm bruised up from the weight vest yesterday. =/

Seems pretty good though. Have been practising my breathing and I can already see how it's going to make me much more stable.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
In three months? Not a chance naturally.

1-2lbs per month would probably be closer to the truth.

Definitely not. But you could probably safely do 4-5 with some hard work.

Thanks, I'll shift my goal accordingly.
Since I have no experience with lifting or gaining muscle I just ballparked my goal up to 200 since I'm at 185 currently.
edit: ugh, June is three months away already.

stn

Guys, need some advice! I want to burn body fat but don't necessarily want to lose weight. I can exercise MON-WED, rest of the week is too hectic at work for me. I'm 6 foot and weigh 175. What should I limit my daily calorie intake to in order to properly supplement the exercise? My plan is to lift moderately on those days and then just do body exercises at home every other day before work.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)

This morning feels like it was a milestone. I hit a trap bar deadlift of 405 for three reps.

I know it's trap bar, so I guess I can be docked a little for that, but I'm alternating weeks between conventional deadlift and trap bar deadlift. Next week, I'm going to gun for 410 on conventional, and while realistically it's just going to be more difficult, I've got a hell of a confidence boost.

This is the first time I've ever pulled over 400 on anything, FitGAF. I'm seriously on cloud nine right now.

despire

Something I've been waiting anxiously has apparently finally launched:

https://www.avatarnutrition.com

Layne Norton mentioned this (he's one the guys behind it) in one of his post a while back. It's basically a premium macro calculator that gives you your numbers based on your stats and individual needs/traits. The cool thing is that it keeps adjusting those numbers based on your progress and how things are going. Not losing weight? The system will automatically give you updated calculations to keep things going again. So basically it should take the quesswork out.

Dunno how well it works but I'm gonna try it for a month or two. 10 bucks a month ain't bad if it works well enough.

Edit:
I guess it's been up for a while but I haven't really seen Layne mention it by name until today. Been trying to search for it every once in a while.

Tried this just now.

First you need to input your weight, height, bf% and activity levels. Then your body type (overweight, normal, lean) and whether you are "athletically conditioned" or not.

It gives you three different major goals to choose from: fat loss, muscle gain and reverse dieting. Then there are different options under these, for example: slow/sustainable, moderate, fast and rapid for fat loss. Then it asks if you are coming of a diet, whether you are a vegetarian or not and if you prefer higher fat or carb intake. Then it gives you are macro intake to follow.

For me, with settings of Fat Loss - Moderate, High Fat, it gives the following macros:

1817kcal
170g P
81g F
102g C

Pretty reasonable though I think the protein intake is tad high. Interested to see what the "AI" tells me to do in seven days when I'm supposed to do a weigh in and get updated numbers if needed.

Pachimari

Okay, it's super hard pulling myself up on that chin-up bar I bought. I can do max 3 pull-ups. I can imagine this is embarrassing? If I keep doing those pull-ups, I will eventually be able to do more right?

Okay, it's super hard pulling myself up on that chin-up bar I bought. I can do max 3 pull-ups. I can imagine this is embarrassing? If I keep doing those pull-ups, I will eventually be able to do more right?

Many people (including me) start without being able to any, and yes, if you keep doing them you'll become stronger. I used to need band assistance, and now I can do (a handful of) weighted pullups.

Yeah, that's not embarrassing at all. Keep at it and you'll be able to do more, and I'd wager that progress will come faster than you think.

BumRush

Guys, need some advice! I want to burn body fat but don't necessarily want to lose weight. I can exercise MON-WED, rest of the week is too hectic at work for me. I'm 6 foot and weigh 175. What should I limit my daily calorie intake to in order to properly supplement the exercise? My plan is to lift moderately on those days and then just do body exercises at home every other day before work.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)

Hiit is the best way to lose fat while not losing muscle. Read this...

http://greatist.com/fitness/complete-guide-interval-training-infographic

This morning feels like it was a milestone. I hit a trap bar deadlift of 405 for three reps.

I know it's trap bar, so I guess I can be docked a little for that, but I'm alternating weeks between conventional deadlift and trap bar deadlift. Next week, I'm going to gun for 410 on conventional, and while realistically it's just going to be more difficult, I've got a hell of a confidence boost.

This is the first time I've ever pulled over 400 on anything, FitGAF. I'm seriously on cloud nine right now.

Amazing! Congrats!

skip

I'm right there with you, even a little behind. I've never been able to do a pull-up in my life, but I just got a bar and have been starting with negatives, in conjunction with regular upper body weight work. Going to attempt a regular pull-up during my session today! I've never had decent upper body strength, so any sort of progress is a good thing. Just gotta be persistent and have modest expectations.

ny_illmatic

Neo Member
So I've been on a cut eating at a deficit 6 days a week, then having a 5k cheat day like cooter mentioned in one of his posts. I really need to start lean bulking at a small surplus, but still want to have that one cheat day. If I followed the same method as my cut, but at a small surplus at 250 including the 5k cheat day at the end of the week, is that still doable for a lean bulk with minimal fat gain as long as it totals the same weekly total as if I did a 250 surplus everyday?

So I went to the trainer to get the calipers done this arvo but he didn't give me a BF % only mm for different areas. Only problem is the online calculators need the chest calipers reading but he didn't do that area. Can anyone help me work out my BF based on the following data.

Bicep- 4mm
Tricep - 7mm
Subscap - 10mm
Mid thigh - 8mm
Calf - 11.5mm
Supra - 13.5mm
Abdominal - 6mm

Weight - 75.5kg
Height 177cm
Male age 30

Anyone? Or do I need to chest one as well?

despire

So I've been on a cut eating at a deficit 6 days a week, then having a 5k cheat day like cooter mentioned in one of his posts. I really need to start lean bulking at a small surplus, but still want to have that one cheat day. If I followed the same method as my cut, but at a small surplus at 250 including the 5k cheat day at the end of the week, is that still doable for a lean bulk with minimal fat gain as long as it totals the same weekly total as if I did a 250 surplus everyday?

Not sure if I understood correctly but how would this be possible? If you keep that 5k cheat day, the total calories will be much higher than if you just ate at a slight surplus every day.

Anyone? Or do I need to chest one as well?

It's impossible for us to say based on those readings only. Just plug the numbers you have into some online calculator, there are some that only need three points of measurement. If not, then buy calipers and measure the chest yourself.

Anyway I'm not sure why would someone give you a caliper measurement and then just give you the raw data without any concrete conclusions. Sounds kinda stupid.

Not sure if I understood correctly but how would this be possible? If you keep that 5k cheat day, the total calories will be much higher than if you just ate at a slight surplus every day.

It's impossible for us to say based on those readings only. Just plug the numbers you have into some online calculator, there are some that only need three points of measurement. If not, then buy calipers and measure the chest yourself.

Anyway I'm not sure why would someone give you a caliper measurement and then just give you the raw data without any concrete conclusions. Sounds kinda stupid.

So I found an online calculator that used four points of measurement, which put me at 9%....lol I'd be around 15-16 if I had to guess. Looks like I won't be going back to him any time soon.

Would it be worth doing tape measurements instead and using those with an online calculator?

Amazing! Congrats!

TY. I attribute most of it to eating a nice bowl of plain ass oatmeal for breakfast and getting lots of sleep last night. Well rested, well fed.

Matter of fact, the more I sleep, the more I consistently am able to pull (or push). Which means that come Dark Souls 3 release my gains are screwed.

ny_illmatic

Neo Member

So let's say my maintenance is 2200. That plus a 250 surplus a week would be around 17000 rounded. If I ate 2000 for 6 days, then had a 5000 cheat day, that would equal 17000. Would that matter at all in terms of lean bulking with minimal fat gain as long as the total calories are the same at the end of the week even with a day of eating junk?

despire

So let's say my maintenance is 2200. That plus a 250 surplus a week would be around 17000 rounded. If I ate 2000 for 6 days, then had a 5000 cheat day, that would equal 17000. Would that matter at all in terms of lean bulking with minimal fat gain as long as the total calories are the same at the end of the week even with a day of eating junk?

You're not gonna bulk or gain muscle if you are in a deficit, as you would be in your first example. Basically what would happen, is that you would gain fat with that cheat and spend the rest of the week burning it off with no muscle gains to speak off. Textbook example of spinning your wheels.

If you want to lean bulk, then just have that 250 surplus every day. If you absolutely want to cheat, don't eat quite so much/often and/or accept fat gain.

5000kcal cheat is a bit excessive for most people. Cooter can do it because he's not human (I think) and he's in a large deficit for the rest of the week.

mkenyon

Banned
Here is the smoked Mac and cheese recipie. I make this on my primo with some changes (regular cheddar, garlic salt, not regular salt, and more of it, and a bit more mayo).

The two pans I made were completely demolished. Smoked with pecan and jack Daniels barrel chips.

http://youtu.be/jado2za9g8c
Cheat meal of the forever.
If someone here did crossfit I would be legitimately surprised.
I definitely see a place for it. I do like the focus on the Oly lifts, they're something both my wife and I want to get into.

If you're really a rational fitness/power lifter type, then you understand the place of Crossfit. People who really get into the group part of the routine, adding some excitement to it, and almost have exercise feel like a team activity benefit from that kind of format.

Similarly, no rational Crossfitter would deny that it's comparatively a lot more dangerous than typical strength traning, and certainly less efficient at building lean muscle mass if you're doing it for aesthetic reasons.

tl;dr, Fit GAF is not /r/fitness, we're pretty sane here.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Good to know! Far less circle-jerky than r/fitness.
Edit: top post twice. -.-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom