• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sphinx

the piano man
Thanks guys, I'd never really thought about sleep being an issue but I'm gonna see my doc about it. Damned if I'm putting all this work in and failing just due to sleep.

On that note, I'm sure I read someone on here suggested ZMA(?) for helping with sleep, worth trying you reckon?

whenever I sleep bad and too little, my first 4 hours I can feel my guts trying to devour me from the inside, I am catabolic as hell.

not sure what ZMA stands for... but I have a sleeping tablet I avoid as much a I can cause I don't want any dependence but I gotta say, it does wonders, I sleep like when I was 21... I miss that sooo much, my nervous system is so wrecked compared to back then.

Thanks guys, I'd never really thought about sleep being an issue but I'm gonna see my doc about it. Damned if I'm putting all this work in and failing just due to sleep.

On that note, I'm sure I read someone on here suggested ZMA(?) for helping with sleep, worth trying you reckon?
Nobody needs ZMA, IMO.

That being said I found the best sleep aid is actually from Costco.

That ALSO being said I shy away from them. You should try upping your sleep game with a pre-sleep regimen. Turn off all stimulants like dim the lights, get off the TV, etc and relax before you go to bed. Wind down. Also try not to nap or sleep or even lay down anywhere that's not the bed.

Small changes in routine will help you more than pills, IMO.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I started lifting exactly 1 year ago. Didn't expect to get this strong in such a short time! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H46EOEZv5tg (short video of my lower body workout from yesterday).

First it was more about fitness and bodybuilding. But I think I have much more potential in powerlifting. I'm unsure about my future plans. Trying to do both at the same time right now.

Seeing people that look as good as you make me hate myself. My body fat is so high, and I'm so weak.

One day, maybe. One day.... ;_;

Just watching a guy curl in the squat rack.

The influx of spring breakers has increased the frequency of this freak accident.

BumRush

I never really made any progress until I got my stress levels and sleep amount in check. It's amazing how badly it can screw you up.

Thanks. I always like to challenge myself. The fasted stuff is a fairly new experiment.

Is 6 hours of fasted steady state cardio a good idea when trying to put on muscle?

It is when your heart rate is down as low as mine was. Plus, you can pretty much tell when you're burning muscle as your breath starts to smell / taste like ammonia and your muscles burn like a motherfucker (because they're being broken down).

BumRush

It is when your heart rate is down as low as mine was. Plus, you can pretty much tell when you're burning muscle as your breath starts to smell / taste like ammonia and your muscles burn like a motherfucker (because they're being broken down).

Seriously? That's nuts!!!

Seeing people that look as good as you make me hate myself. My body fat is so high, and I'm so weak.

One day, maybe. One day.... ;_;

The influx of spring breakers has increased the frequency of this freak accident.

He was curling 65#...........

Actually. Some guy doing lunges beats it. Lol
This man has a schedule. And he will get in your face and ask if you're done and catch an attitude if youre not

despire

ZMA is just magnesium and zink, nothing fancy. It can help (helped me a bit I think) but it's not a miracle pill. Try something like a banana. A banana a day helps me fall asleep quicker.

mdsfx

230x10 squats today. I remember having trouble with 225x5 :)

Somehow, this 5-3-1 thing works. I'm guessing my slow cut is helpful too.

Creatine though?
The problem with "supplements" is that people don't use them to supplement their diet. They are sold as "OMG YOU FUCKING NEED THIS YOU WEAK, PATHETIC FOOL!"

You will get an overwhelming amount of nutrients and aminos if you just eat properly.

That being said there are supplements that are hard to just flat out get enough from through food, like creatine. You can either take 5g in a scoop or eat something like 2.5lbs of meat.

In these cases it is obviously much more economical to just get some powder.

Supplements do have their place depending on your training regimen. On a deficit and training fasted? BCAAs are a good choice. On a bulk and calorie surplus? Waste of money.

Just my .02

mdsfx

In Marco Island visiting my in-laws. Nothing but beach walks, fishing, eating really well, etc. Damn this is relaxing.
I'm at my work gym grinding away you bastard. Keep your relaxing posts to yourself.
I may be a bit jealous

Ok... so I can't squat today, it's way too risky with my leg being screwed. Anyone have a suggestion for a replacement? (probably not anything on legs)

Right now my plan is:

Bench,
Pull-ups,
Romanian Deadlifts (should be OK as knees and feet in line),
Dumbbell high pulls,
Dumbbell decline bench press,
Reverse grip skullcrushers.

Can't do deadlift as I'm still recovering from the last set.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
The problem with "supplements" is that people don't use them to supplement their diet. They are sold as "OMG YOU FUCKING NEED THIS YOU WEAK, PATHETIC FOOL!"

You will get an overwhelming amount of nutrients and aminos if you just eat properly.

That being said there are supplements that are hard to just flat out get enough from through food, like creatine. You can either take 5g in a scoop or eat something like 2.5lbs of meat.

In these cases it is obviously much more economical to just get some powder.

Supplements do have their place depending on your training regimen. On a deficit and training fasted? BCAAs are a good choice. On a bulk and calorie surplus? Waste of money.

Just my .02

Interesting. I was genuinely curious, so thanks for the info.

velociraptor

I'm the opposite. When I was jobless I was stressed all the time about NOT having a job, didn't sleep very well. When I have a job, I work 50 hours a week + workout 3-5 days a week, can't wait to sleep now. Sleep is the fuckin' best.
Sleep is indeed the best. It makes or breaks your gains (brain gains, muscle gains... any kind of gains).

mdsfx

Thanks dude. The older I get, the more I appreciate vacations like this.

How you feelin with the shingles?
Not good, unfortunately. It's really uncomfortable. It's a mix of itching and burning sensations around my rib cage above my waist. I haven't missed a workout yet though.

Thanks for asking!

Ok... so I can't squat today, it's way too risky with my leg being screwed. Anyone have a suggestion for a replacement? (probably not anything on legs)

Right now my plan is:

Bench,
Pull-ups,
Romanian Deadlifts (should be OK as knees and feet in line),
Dumbbell high pulls,
Dumbbell decline bench press,
Reverse grip skullcrushers.

Can't do deadlift as I'm still recovering from the last set.
No-one? Someone must have random exercise I can try that vaguely fits in.

BumRush

Not good, unfortunately. It's really uncomfortable. It's a mix of itching and burning sensations around my rib cage above my waist. I haven't missed a workout yet though.

Thanks for asking!

Damn. Sorry to hear that. Luckily you caught it early.

No preference on body part. Maybe a bit more tricep work as I know I could do more there (but I find it hard to target them properly).

Just no leg stuff.

Edit - I can't actually do wide pullups, my shoulders wont allow it (basically an instant injury).

mdsfx

No preference on body part. Maybe a bit more tricep work as I know I could do more there (but I find it hard to target them properly).

Just no leg stuff.

Edit - I can't actually do wide pullups, my shoulders wont allow it (basically an instant injury).

Standing dumbbell press, incline dumbbell bench, overhead extensions? Push-ups to failure usually does it for me.

ACE 1991

I'm currently at work wearing a smelly tshirt, dress pants and ratty ass sneakers.

I forgot to pack about 80% of my work clothes to bring to the gym to change into this morning.

JCX

Back rounding?

Felt like my back was straight the whole time, although I am new to deadlifting.

Define "hurt". General soreness? Actual acute pain?

Feels sore in the same way any body part would feel sore the day after a workout. I've had spinal injuries/back fractures and this doesn't feel that bad. I'm wondering if the pain is because I'm new and my body isn't used to it, or if I'm just doing it wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom