• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Halp!

2016-03-0814.12.326ur6i.jpg

It didn't come with instructions. lol

JCX

Thanks for the advice everyone. My back isn't as sore today, so it's likely normal soreness from a new exercise. Hoping my body gets used to it in a few weeks.

BumRush

Side note: is it odd or bad that my bench and squat are about the same? Haven't tested what my max is for either, but doing 5 sets of 10 for each I've been doing 140. It's been years since I've lifted regularly and my form is probably bad on one or both, but I feel like them being the same means I'm probably not pushing it as much as I could be for one of them.

It's not the norm but probably just means you've put in extra time focusing on your chest. Squat 2x a week, add in some accessories like leg press, leg raises, good mornings, etc. and your squat will progress fast.

Fox318

I think it's also used to sweat out the harmful toxins. Whether or not its effective, I don't know, but some wives-of-friends swear by it.

It was kinda hilarious because it was really really spiritual.

Which I don't have a problem with at all but the dude sounded like this was his 9-5 and he could give a shit saying some of these things.

Like somebody at a drive thru pretending to be nice.

Damnit, I need my missus to come home and assist... or I need to grow another arm.

HNNNGGGGG... nope, I need my missus to come home and assist.

Ahhh. 410 on a conventional deadlift today. I know I hit 405 x 3 last week on a trap bar, but this feels more meaningful.

God damn, I finally hit 4 motherfucking plates on a proper bar (and 2 x 2.5 lbs).

mdsfx

Getting sick on top of already being ill really sucks! I feel like I should be dead (am I?).

Got my ass in the gym anyway and ended up pushing my bench 1RM past 250lbs for the first time ever. Wtf. I'm not complaining of course, but the body is so confusing.

PS - I think I AM dead.

You can actually get an increase in performance when you're ill (improving performance out of no-where is actually used as an indicator that an athlete is about to get ill). However, if you continue to train at full output then generally you'll significantly increase the length of time you'll be ill for.

BumRush

It was kinda hilarious because it was really really spiritual.

Which I don't have a problem with at all but the dude sounded like this was his 9-5 and he could give a shit saying some of these things.

Like somebody at a drive thru pretending to be nice.

Yeah I've heard awesome things about the way it makes you feel afterwards. I'll give it a try sometime.

Did you sweat buckets?

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
question about barbell curls and wrist pain, i am finding that my wrists hurt bringing the bar up, seemingly with weight I can easily manage, the weight isnt the issue so much and I am sure my form is right. I experience no such pain with dumbells and can do 18kgs with relative ease.

mdsfx

question about barbell curls and wrist pain, i am finding that my wrists hurt bringing the bar up, seemingly with weight I can easily manage, the weight isnt the issue so much and I am sure my form is right. I experience no such pain with dumbells and can do 18kgs with relative ease.

are you using a straight bar or EZ bar? I actually get wrist pain from the EZ bar. I hate that thing.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
are you using a straight bar or EZ bar? I actually get wrist pain from the EZ bar. I hate that thing.

Ez Bar gives the most pain, its almost unusable, straight bar less so but there is still some, I have had someone at the gym critique my form and they said it was fine and had no explanation for the wrists.

mdsfx

I have actually not, will give it a go tomorrow

Are wrist straps worth anything?

I've never used them, but I can tell you that I have some dainty-ass wrists lol and going wider on my grip helps. You sort of have to find the sweet spot. Hope this helps.

3phemeral

The palms in one felt more stable, form wise. Palms forward seemed to put stress across my collar bones, and I'm not sure if that's good (in terms of building stability), or bad (in terms of doing damage to my already screwed collar bones).

Unrelated...

holyshitthisraspberryjamandpeanutbuttermixisactuallyreallytasty

I prefer marmalade but yeah, it's like my favorite post-meal snack.

Fucksake, I don't know how, but two of the holes on one of the crossmembers have been drilled too small. I don't have a big enough steel drill bit (I tend not to be drilling 16mm holes) so I've spent the last 20 minutes trying to grind it out with a Dremel.

Sigh.

Battery is dead now so I have to charge it, then head out for probably like an hour more of it, assuming my grinding bit lasts that long.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
That was 3 days of gluttony. Oh boy I'm at the point where food isn't even appealing right now. These past 3 days were even bad by my standards. Back on the clean eating express. Choo choo!

Angry now. Figured, fuck it, I'll just leave the crossmember and get the rest done. The smaller bolts they've given me have the wrong thread pitch, so they don't work with the same nuts that the longer bolts do (only one set of nuts for the entire thing).

Seriously fucking shoddy quality control. Especially pissed off given the cost of this shit.

So basically nothing other than dumbbells until they get the replacements to me.

Edit - Yup, just measured. The short bolts use 13 threads per inch, the long bolts use 11 threads per inch.

mdsfx

That was 3 days of gluttony. Oh boy I'm at the point where food isn't even appealing right now. These past 3 days were even bad by my standards. Back on the clean eating express. Choo choo!
Next time take a picture of everything you eat. We'll compile it all into a single image and come to the conclusion that you shouldn't even be alive.

Cooter's latest progress pic:

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Next time take a picture of everything you eat. We'll compile it all into a single image and come to the conclusion that you shouldn't even be alive.

Cooter's latest progress pic:
That's fairly accurate. I had trouble getting to one belt hole from my usual yesterday and when I got it I almost felt nauseous. May have over did it a tad.

Have written Rogue a firm email with a bunch of pictures and hopefully I'll have a response by the time I'm up tomorrow.

I'm properly disappointed. I was thinking earlier that this was a bit like Christmas for me... and now Christmas is ruined. :(

BumRush

Have written Rogue a firm email with a bunch of pictures and hopefully I'll have a response by the time I'm up tomorrow.

I'm properly disappointed. I was thinking earlier that this was a bit like Christmas for me... and now Christmas is ruined. :(

That sucks. Tomorrow though.

Would you say 25k over 3 days?

Chocobro

Putting together a rack sounds might fun..lol. I hope it gets easier, Psycho.

Fortunately, squat stands work just fine for me. Don't need power rack.

Funny thing is... I pretty much bought a house for this rack. lol

I always used to work out in the living room with my "squat stand" but I really wanted a proper rack for a few reasons, which necessitated a double garage... which necessitated a new house. =/

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Managed to get 175x3 on my DL today. It's not much compared to most of you here, but it feels damn good since only a month ago I was struggling with 85.

Funny thing is... I pretty much bought a house for this rack. lol

I always used to work out in the living room with my "squat stand" but I really wanted a proper rack for a few reasons, which necessitated a double garage... which necessitated a new house. =/
Should have bought land to build a gym and call that home lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom