• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkJAW

Got some questions for you guys: would intermittent fasting be okay for building muscle and burning fat? Or is that all dependent on the actual caloric deficit/surplus you have? I'm interested in burning fat, but I also want to be stronger. Am I going to have to choose one, and then follow with the other later?

Cooper

Awesome! I'll let her know. She's definitely excited. On a proper program I honestly think she can be hitting some nice numbers.

Does she actually intend to follow a program? It sounds like she has a good base, but as you know, she'll need more than a gym visit every month or two to progress.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Does she actually intend to follow a program? It sounds like she has a good base, but as you know, she'll need more than a gym visit every month or two to progress.

Haha, trust me, I've explained that to her. I think she's more excited to begin a program because I've really driven home the point that I think she's got an excellent base, and that she could realize true gains if she was to work out just three times a week following a very basic program. I would be there with her the whole way, of course. I'm also working with her so she gets her first pull-up, which is exciting!

mdsfx

I'm a huge proponent of martial arts. If you only want to start working out at home. Then, you can probably benefit more with some immediate to advanced bodyweight workouts. I posted a link a few pages back. Most BW workouts focus on your core. And that's one of the most important aspects of martial arts training.
I miss it so much. I did 2 years of Choi Kwang Do, 4 years of Tae Kwon do, and more recently a few months of Muay Thai.

I am 100% completely out of practice (except for a little nunchaku after a few drinks).

Cooper

Haha, trust me, I've explained that to her. I think she's more excited to begin a program because I've really driven home the point that I think she's got an excellent base, and that she could realize true gains if she was to work out just three times a week following a very basic program. I would be there with her the whole way, of course. I'm also working with her so she gets her first pull-up, which is exciting!

Cool. Did she seem to enjoy the workouts? If so, I imagine the steady string of PRs she'll set early on will hook her fairly quickly.

mdsfx

Ah, Drunken Fist.
Lol... Yeah. It just happens,

I loved Muay Thai, but hated some of the other students who showed up wearing Tapout and MMA shirts ready to prove something after having watched Bloodsport the previous night in a drunken stupor.

We are doing partnered core work (locked ankles) and the guy starts asking if we should punch each other in the gut at the top of every sit up. Seriously?

then figure out a hard plan on how to get to 9% and stick to that for the rest of my life.

Staying at sub 10% isn't generally a good idea for most people. You're more prone to injury in that zone... and unless you're a regular fitness model that's really not that much point as most people still look great around12%

ILoveBish

Staying at sub 10% isn't generally a good idea for most people. You're more prone to injury in that zone... and unless you're a regular fitness model that's really not that much point as most people still look great around12%

That is rather interesting. How are you more likely to be injured?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
10-12% is indeed the sweet spot. You'll always have lunatics like mdsfx maintaining below but we all know those guys have a screw loose.

That is rather interesting. How are you more likely to be injured?
It's mostly due to running at a constant calorific deficit to stay there, as your body isn't able to repair / recover properly. Also, the lower your body fat goes, the more at risk of illness you are, though I believe you need to go pretty low for that to happen. Staying at very low body fat is a much bigger issue for women than men though.

Not entirely sure how it would factor in with the very large amounts of fat you consume though. Maybe it would be enough to offset any problems at low body fat.

mdsfx

10-12% is indeed the sweet spot. You'll always have lunatics like mdsfx maintaining below but we all know those guys have a screw loose.
pzDEKANl.jpg

ILoveBish

Considering the amount of times I've fallen on my ass, I glad my over 10% posterior is able to cushion the impact.

I would have been broken in half by now.

Sounds like you need more glute work. Check with brolic.

Hmm, maybe I'm underestimating how I'll look at 12%.

It's mostly due to running at a constant calorific deficit to stay there, as your body isn't able to repair / recover properly. Also, the lower your body fat goes, the more at risk of illness you are, though I believe you need to go pretty low for that to happen. Staying at very low body fat is a much bigger issue for women than men though.

Not entirely sure how it would factor in with the very large amounts of fat you consume though. Maybe it would be enough to offset any problems at low body fat.

How is running at a deficit at a lower bf% different then higher? What does the extra body fat do to help you repair? It doesn't make sense to me, especially for someone who is fully keto adapted.

I'd think the fasting and higher fat intake would make things much easier.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Diagnosed with rotator cuff tendinitis (aka swimmers/tennis shoulder, or in my case, baker's shoulder) yesterday. My gym time has been limited for a while, and I guess this kills it completely. Can't bench, can't deadlift, can't get anything up over my head without a lot of pain.

Anyone ever had to deal with this before? I'm going to do occasional physical therapy but without being able to ever truly rest or recover my shoulder since it's such a major part of my job, I get the sense this is now going to be a chronic thing for many more years.

mdsfx

I'm not sure how the bodyfat percentage would affect healing, but I can see how caloric defecit would.

I think under 7-8% body fat becomes unhealthy by some sort of standard. I will have to track that info back down.

Your body will avoid calling on the remaining reserves after a while (your organs need that fat, so it's not a good idea to lose all of it), fully keto adapted or not. That's why crazy low body fat percentages are so hard to get to (maintaining muscle mass) without drug assistance.

That said, if you think keto will allow you to stay sub 10% with no drawbacks, go for it.

ILoveBish

BTW, my vitamix arrives Monday. Prepare for low carb ice creamathon.

I'm not sure how the bodyfat percentage would affect healing, but I can see how caloric defect would.

I think under 7-8% body fat becomes unhealthy by some sort of standard. I will have to track that info back down.

I'll be researching this weekend.

Your body will avoid calling on the remaining reserves after a while (your organs need that fat, so it's not a good idea to lose all of it), fully keto adapted or not. That's why crazy low body fat percentages are so hard to get to (maintaining muscle mass) without drug assistance.

That said, if you think keto will allow you to stay sub 10% with no drawbacks, go for it.

Interesting. Will definitely be looking into this.

Every picture you see of me not bulking is somewhere between 10-12%

One of us has genetics that make everything easy. The other one is me.

But yeah I haven't considered what I'll look like at 12%. Might be interesting.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Cool. Did she seem to enjoy the workouts? If so, I imagine the steady string of PRs she'll set early on will hook her fairly quickly.

Yeah, she enjoyed the workout. Again, mostly because I was there. But she was excited when I told her the weights she was lifting. I'm sure she'll get hooked once she begins breaking PRs.

sphinx

the piano man
I started my first serious cut ever some 10 days ago and it's ridiculous how the body changes.

When I see my reflection casually on a car window or just about anywhere, I am really looking different, my build is changing, I am finally looking like I lift, not just on a pump, under the right light and with a bikini tank top. I mean with regular clothes on!

I was so wrong, I thought I was going to look small and go back to the starting point, this is quite a revelation. I am really, really motivated, so I hope I can show some nice abs and definition here in a month or so.

Cooter

Bringing sexy back.

Haha. I was just using me as a reference but thanks!

One of us has genetics that make everything easy. The other one is me.

But yeah I haven't considered what I'll look like at 12%. Might be interesting.

Yeah, sometimes I wish I needed to go to the gym more because this 30 out of 31 days a month crap is frustrating! I miss it.

Seriously, get there and see if you're satisfied. The hardest part is getting to that point.

I started my first serious cut ever some 10 days ago and it's ridiculous how the body changes.

When I see my reflection casually on a car window or just about anywhere, I am really looking different, my build is changing, I am finally looking like I lift, not just on a pump, under the right light and with a bikini tank top. I mean with regular clothes on!

I was so wrong, I thought I was going to look small and go back to the starting point, this is quite a revelation. I am really, really motivated, so I hope I can show some nice abs and definition here in a month or so.
A jacked Sphinx with abs?! Excuse me while I wipe a tear. I remember when you started. You've come so far.

sphinx

the piano man
A jacked Sphinx with abs?! Excuse me while I wipe a tear. I remember when you started. You've come so far.

:D

well I hope I can stick to it this time. So far so good, no pastries, no cravings, no shit meals (Pizza, Fast Food, etc).

Drinking more water has been a huge game changer. I changed my 2nd coffe of the day for a 1 ltr. bottle of water and I am more awake than ever and I feel very very well during workout,

Cooter

:D

well I hope I can stick to it this time. So far so good, no pastries, no cravings, no shit meals (Pizza, Fast Food, etc).

Drinking more water has been a huge game changer. I changed my 2nd coffe of the day for a 1 ltr. bottle of water and I am more awake than ever and I feel very very well during workout,
Water is one of the key factors in controlling food intake. I agree.

My weight loss seems to have paused this week, which is odd, because the week before I was worried that it was going too fast. Oh well, will knock off a few more calories next week and hopefully continue.

entremet

Remember, your 12% may look totally different than someone else's.

Making me blush Szu.

My ass has it's own gravitational pull, avert your eyes or they may be sucked in.

Yeah. I really hate that percentage pic people post.

Also the fact that the pic includes bf% only sustainable for a short time and also aided by drugs.

Pyrokai

Anyone else just guess their body fat all the time? I can't use a caliper to save my effing life.

Sucks, man.

Also, out of curiosity, could someone summarize what the majority of you guys view as being "clean carbs" and "dirty carbs"? Obviously I stay away from anything with added sugar, but there are some things I can't decide are clean or not:

-Rice (I stick to brown)
-Beans (they have protein, yeah, but also carbs)
-Bread (I try to only eat Ezekiel bread which is supposedly pretty clean)
-Oats

What do you guys think? Should I omit any of those?

My guess is for most people it comes down to GI (low vs high), whether they know it or not. I tend not to worry too much (bread aside) but I do tend to time my bad carbs (usually pasta) for right after a workout.

Yours for example are all low, aside from the rice, which is moderate (actually right on the border with low, depending on who you believe).

mdsfx

Mmm... I'm cheating so bad right now. I've had a few drinks and some dessert as I peruse the Steam sale. Sometimes it just feels good to let loose for a little bit and treat yourself for your hard work.

I know. Setting a bad example here. Don't do what I do :)

Dadbod here I come!

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Good news, bros and broettes! I FINALLY reached 160 lbs. (160.8 to be precise)

This was a very long slog. For some stupid reason I was hovering between 150 and 157-158 for about a year. Now I finally passed that annoying plateau.

This marks a 40 lb. increase since I started working out almost two years ago.

Though I still have a bit to go. I figure another 20 lbs. or so will give me the physique I want.

But yeah, huzzah fitgaf!

mdsfx

This was a very long slog. For some stupid reason I was hovering between 150 and 157-158 for about a year. Now I finally passed that annoying plateau.

Though I still have a bit to go. I figure another 20 lbs. or so will give me the physique I want.

But yeah, huzzah fitgaf!

That's amazing. Keep it up man. You're my inspiration. I will start bulking at the end of summer for the first time with enough knowledge to maybe do it right!

J. Bravo

But yeah, huzzah fitgaf!
Good shit man. If you've got it handy, could you post or pm your diet? My friend is about the same weight and cant gain mass to save his life.

Azulsky

Also, out of curiosity, could someone summarize what the majority of you guys view as being "clean carbs" and "dirty carbs"? Obviously I stay away from anything with added sugar, but there are some things I can't decide are clean or not:

-Rice (I stick to brown)
-Beans (they have protein, yeah, but also carbs)
-Bread (I try to only eat Ezekiel bread which is supposedly pretty clean)
-Oats

What do you guys think? Should I omit any of those?

I do Steel Cut Oats, Brown Rice, Quinoa, Sweet Potato. Also some berries and apples.

I'm pretty sold on medium to low GI being better for you overall due to the fiber making life easier on your pancreas.

Essentially my thought process is to eat as little as possible added sugar and take it easy on heavier natural sugar stuff like fruits which I save for Post Workout meals(the berries). The apples are so I can drown something in almond butter when I am low on fat and carb macros for the day. Fruit seems to be safer if you eat the skin for fiber reasons.

Ready to be proven wrong but that's what the research is telling me..

ILoveBish

Gym was awesome today. Hit 5x335 then 4x380 on deadlift. I possibly could have gotten the 5th rep, but didn't want to risk a rep with bad form. The 4 I got went up clean and really smooth. Super happy. Last time I tried for 5x380 was months ago and I got 1 or 2 reps, so to weigh so much less and lift even heavier is awesome.

Also while I was changing, I noticed that when I push out my abs and tighten up, I can see the top 2 rows of my abs! Didn't have my phone with me lol, but I'll take a pic next time.

Water is one of the key factors in controlling food intake. I agree.

Water is essential to success. If I don't drink at least a gallon a day, I pay for it the next day.

Remember, your 12% may look totally different than someone else's.

Yes, which is why my initial goal is to hit 210, then evaluate from there. What I want to look like and what I will are likely to be very different.

Yeah. I really hate that percentage pic people post.

Also the fact that the pic includes bf% only sustainable for a short time and also aided by drugs.

Many people fully keto adapted stay sub 10% year round. I might have a chance.

I actually didn't know this. Ignorant I know. Are you saying you can only sustain ultra low body fat with drugs?

If it's too good to be true, it usually is.

rokkerkory

I am spent today, was only able to do several good sets on delts. Focused more on reps with lighter weight.

Will push more tomo! :D

Someone mentioned an alternate cable fly method earlier. Gave it a go, really didn't like it. Felt like it put a horrible amount of strain on my shoulder joint; no way I'd risk going heavy with it.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
That's amazing. Keep it up man. You're my inspiration. I will start bulking at the end of summer for the first time with enough knowledge to maybe do it right!

Thanks a lot! But are you sure you're not confusing me with someone else? Cause unless I'm mistaken, you're the one with the rocking body that I'm trying to aspire to, haha.

Good shit man. If you've got it handy, could you post or pm your diet? My friend is about the same weight and cant gain mass to save his life.

Thanks. And yeah sure I can do that. Just gimme a minute when I'm on break or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom