• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Youll just have to decide, at a certain point, whether you want to keep getting stronger or to cut back, calorically, and bring that bodyfat down.

Or go for keto gains and do both (albeit perhaps somewhat more slowly).

Went back to the gym after a week off due to a cold and frustrations with studies. Decided to change things up a bit and added some HIIT to start off things. I was surprised with how much I was able to do in 15 minutes. Gonna keep it up and see where things go.

Bench still sucks, but I'll chalk it up to being sick and not being able to eat and go to gym as regularly as I'd like. Definitely starting to feel like I'm deflating though, will probably have to switch up the routine and do high reps/low weight. Any thoughts? I'm currently trying to cut for a trip in a month and I'm at 2300 cal (down from 3100 when I was bulking)

Szu

Who has time for sex with all this lifting?

You should be lifting her.

6rDn57D.gif

I believe at that level bodyfat it's going to be hard to gauge, visually, acquired muscle mass. But don't let that discourage you. Acquired strength can be a good indicator. Youll just have to decide, at a certain point, whether you want to keep getting stronger or to cut back, calorically, and bring that bodyfat down.

Is it strength or an ideal (lower bodyfat) body image you're going for? It's very hard to straddle both effectively.

im definitely training for body image more than strength, want to gain a bit more mass all round and get my waist to around 32/33 again.

if i stick to this caloric intake but switch to a different program would it make a difference? or should i go to gym 4 days instead or 3? or incorporate some cardio at the end of my workout?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
im definitely training for body image more than strength, want to gain a bit more mass all round and get my waist to around 32/33 again.

if i stick to this caloric intake but switch to a different program would it make a difference? or should i go to gym 4 days instead or 3? or incorporate some cardio at the end of my workout?

There's a lot of avenues to take. Zefah pointed out one, managing carbs to outright eliminating carbs. I'd look into a diet that suits your needs and will keep you consistent.

From the calorie angle, if you want to maintain your current caloric intake you'll have to consistently do an exercise that'll burn off what you need burned, which would be a form of cardio. Adding another day of weightlifting won't have a big enough effect.

Instead of guessworkng it'd be best to find out what your caloric maintenance is and work off that. Or explore keto dieting which isn't as tedious as calorie counting.

Just as an aside, some of the most ripped fuckers here aren't low carb / carb cycling... so it's not a requirement by any means. It's the new hotness in diet land, but there are multiple ways to skin a cat.

ILoveBish

Gym went great. Was packed but got lucky and got a cage. Ordered my barbell from amazon, and picking up my weights on Saturday. The dude has 10 45s, 5s and 2.5s, so I'll still need a pair of 25s and 4 10s. Also wouldn't mind 10 and 25kg bumper plates. We'll see.

What is everyone's thoughts on dumbbells for home gym? I'm thinking it's really not important enough, I can do 99% of stuff with a barbell. And the set I want is 200 bucks, adjustable up to 100lbs per dumbbell. Can just get them down the line.

BumRush

Gym went great. Was packed but got lucky and got a cage. Ordered my barbell from amazon, and picking up my weights on Saturday. The dude has 10 45s, 5s and 2.5s, so I'll still need a pair of 25s and 4 10s. Also wouldn't mind 10 and 25kg bumper plates. We'll see.

What is everyone's thoughts on dumbbells for home gym? I'm thinking it's really not important enough, I can do 99% of stuff with a barbell. And the set I want is 200 bucks, adjustable up to 100lbs per dumbbell. Can just get them down the line.

Dude that's an amazing price for 2 100 lbs adjustable DBs. Do it. Half your accessories probably come from DBs, no?

mdsfx

I just ate my weight in desserts after a plate of tacos. Just felt ravenous tonight and didn't want to stop. Feel great.
#fuckitwednesdays

ILoveBish

Dude that's an amazing price for 2 100 lbs adjustable DBs. Do it. Half your accessories probably come from DBs, no?

Yeah, I'd probably be happy to pay that for a set. The ones I wanted are the equiv of about 700 USD

I'll echo to nab them dumbbells! They come in handy for sure on a lot of accessories.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0087T8UOE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This is them, ok I'll just bite the bullet and get it all over with.

I just ate my weight in desserts after a plate of tacos. Just felt ravenous tonight and didn't want to stop. Feel great.
#fuckitwednesdays

By Wednesday, my hunger is pretty dead. Mon-tue are the hardest days for me.

justjim89

Had a good chest/tricep workout today, then a half hour uphill on the treadmill. Feeling pretty good. Trying for a no bread week. I'm not gonna go no carbs because I literally don't understand how I would do that, but I think no bread/buns/wraps/pasta will make a difference.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Had a good chest/tricep workout today, then a half hour uphill on the treadmill. Feeling pretty good. Trying for a no bread week. I'm not gonna go no carbs because I literally don't understand how I would do that, but I think no bread/buns/wraps/pasta will make a difference.

It definitely will assuming you don't replace it with something worse.

What about no carbs is hard to understand? If you're cutting out wheat products and sugar (which I assume just about anyone in here is for the most part), then you've already done most of the work.

justjim89

It definitely will assuming you don't replace it with something worse.

What about no carbs is hard to understand? If you're cutting out wheat products and sugar (which I assume just about anyone in here is for the most part), then you've already done most of the work.

I just don't know what I'd eat. Seems like there are carbs in pretty much everything. Like, today I've had two Slim Fast shakes with a spoon of peanut butter mixed in for breakfast and lunch, and dinner was pre-cooked rotisserie chicken strips, brown rice, and an apple. Looking at myfitnesspal for the day, the only thing I've had all day with no carbs in it was the butter I mixed into the rice.

I haven't cut out sugar completely so much as try to keep it limited and under my recommended allotment on mfp. I also didn't know wheat products were bad.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just don't know what I'd eat. Seems like there are carbs in pretty much everything. Like, today I've had two Slim Fast shakes with a spoon of peanut butter mixed in for breakfast and lunch, and dinner was pre-cooked rotisserie chicken strips, brown rice, and an apple. Looking at myfitnesspal for the day, the only thing I've had all day with no carbs in it was the butter I mixed into the rice.

I haven't cut out sugar completely so much as try to keep it limited and under my recommended allotment on mfp. I also didn't know wheat products were bad.

This might help as a primer if you're interested:

Maybe ignore the "raw" part for dairy.

justjim89

This might help as a primer if you're interested:

Maybe ignore the "raw" part for dairy.

I'll have to keep that handy, thanks. I'm not sure I could really follow it too effectively since I don't eat veggies, but I'm already staying away from most of the foods it says to avoid.

Excited to be active in this topic. I was struggling after falling off of lifting and put on some weight last year. Joined a new gym and me and some co-workers signed up for the 60 day challenge.

I'm down 27 lbs and my weight in is tomorrow morning.

image.jpg

Does anyone have any suggestions or links towards regaining strength after cutting down quite a bit? My legs are still strong but bench and deadlifts are going to be lacking when I start lifting again.

Thanks for any help!

despire

fitness gaf, u helped me out last time so im hoping u can do it again.

ive been going gym 3 days a week for the last 6/8 weeks. i have been loosely following the starting strength program, typically on a gym day i will do bench,squat,shoulder press, lat pulldown and lunges. for the first 5 weeks or so i done 5 reps of everything, but now i try to do 8.

i have seen big strength gains but ive not really added any muscle. i currently take usn fuel mass and i think its working good, i have added weight but mostly in the stomach i feel.

my question is, where the hell do i go from here? should i start to do split routines (back/arms, chest/tri/ legs) or do i just stick to this and the muscle will come eventually?

last time i went gym few years ago i went on a big dirty bulk and managed to build quite a bit of muscle but also a ton of fat so i want to avoid that this time.

-6-8 weeks is a really short time, hardly enough to see any big changes.

-Don't follow SS "loosely". Either do IT or do something else. Just pick a program you like.

-You don't need to take any mass gainers, especially if you're just getting fatter already (as you are). Adding "weight to the stomach" is not the objective here.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Where's Cooter been!?

p.s. how many people here do a shoulder only day? I messed around with NOT doing it for a while and - now that I'm back doing it again - I'm not sure I'll ever go back.
I'm still here. Been kinda busy these past few weeks. Been hitting the gym 6 days a week but my intensity/motivation has been crap. It'll come around.

There's a lot of avenues to take. Zefah pointed out one, managing carbs to outright eliminating carbs. I'd look into a diet that suits your needs and will keep you consistent.

From the calorie angle, if you want to maintain your current caloric intake you'll have to consistently do an exercise that'll burn off what you need burned, which would be a form of cardio. Adding another day of weightlifting won't have a big enough effect.

Instead of guessworkng it'd be best to find out what your caloric maintenance is and work off that. Or explore keto dieting which isn't as tedious as calorie counting.
Thanks mate, like u said i will just have to experiment. I really dont want to be earing less than i am already considering i only eat 3 meals and cutting out the mass gainer i would just starve.
-6-8 weeks is a really short time, hardly enough to see any big changes.

-Don't follow SS "loosely". Either do IT or do something else. Just pick a program you like.

-You don't need to take any mass gainers, especially if you're just getting fatter already (as you are). Adding "weight to the stomach" is not the objective here.
The reason i take mass gainer is without it i would be dead in the gym, wont have enough energy to lift anything. But like u said 6-8 weeks is a short time so i will just stick to gym and experiement a bit. Appreciate the help.

Sigh, like fucking clockwork. I've injured one of my shoulders again. I've never made it more than three months without it happening, I really thought all the pre-hab I was doing would sort it.

What's really strange is that it was fine through the workout, all I did was lift my arm later on and BAM, pain. Time to lose a bunch more strength waiting for it to heal again.

ILoveBish

Hit 9+k steps today and only ate around 700 calories of all protein. PSMF is incredible, still lifting heavy and still energetic like crazy. Excited to order my cage, next week I'm going to order it I think.

Sigh, like fucking clockwork. I've injured one of my shoulders again. I've never made it more than three months without it happening, I really thought all the pre-hab I was doing would sort it.

What's really strange is that it was fine through the workout, all I did was lift my arm later on and BAM, pain. Time to lose a bunch more strength waiting for it to heal again.

You're like a crossfitter but without looking like you lift. Amazing really.

You should do standup.

Seriously though, nothing particularly funny about having a dig at someone after they'd posted about having an injury.

Guys I'm 38 yo and decided to start training again. I want to get rid of fat for starters. Started full body program and wonder if it is ok to do some light running 2-6 km on my days off?

mdsfx

You should do standup.

Seriously though, nothing particularly funny about having a dig at someone after they'd posted about having an injury.

I'm guessing he didn't mean for that to sound as bad as it did.

I fucking hate injuries. My foot is fucked. 90% sure it's my peroneal tendon. Race is 10 days away. Son of a bitch. UGH.

BumRush

Excited to be active in this topic. I was struggling after falling off of lifting and put on some weight last year. Joined a new gym and me and some co-workers signed up for the 60 day challenge.

I'm down 27 lbs and my weight in is tomorrow morning.

image.jpg

Does anyone have any suggestions or links towards regaining strength after cutting down quite a bit? My legs are still strong but bench and deadlifts are going to be lacking when I start lifting again.

Thanks for any help!

Looking great man. Nice progress. In regards to size / strength, starting a progression program is your best bet. Read the OP, it has all the info and links on starting strength, 531,etc. It's all about increasing the weight over time. Ask us a million questions!

Guys I'm 38 yo and decided to start training again. I want to get rid of fat for starters. Started full body program and wonder if it is ok to do some light running 2-6 km on my days off?

Of course it is. Try HIIT instead to minimize muscle loss if you want.

Since we talking injuries. List all of yours! I'll shoot first.

Left Lumbar - its enlarged and I get a "snap" that feels like a muscle snapping over another where the lumbar connects to the glute. Assessment: heavy clutch use most of my life.

Right shoulder - rotator. Injured prior. Been keeping it at bay forever. Some wincing during bench press but nothing major.

Tennis elbow - keeping these at bay with forearm stretches.

Cubital tunnel - both arms. Bending my arm at 90 degrees causes the underside of the forearm, palm and pinky/ring finger to go numb.

Palm something or other - draw a line down from your middle finger and straight across from the thumb knuckle on your had and where they connect - major pain. I don't know what it is - I just know pressing exercises cause excruciating pain and then my palm goes numb. More than likely from years of shifting and breaking a few 3rd gear pushes with force. Its about 30% numb full time but when pressure is applied it goes fully numb in that area after a few sets. Maybe a splintered bone or fracture or nerve or some shit.

Fam, I'm broken all over the place XD

Since we talking injuries. List all of yours! I'll shoot first.

Shoulders - Broke both collar bones as kid, since then I get pretty much continuous shoulder injuries of one sort or another. Usually rotator cuff, but this most recent one seems delt involved.

Wrist - Broke as a kid (did a lot of that). Now sounds like a cement mixer and locks in place from time to time. Absolutely have to use wrist wraps for everything.

Tennis Elbow - Same arm as knackered wrist. Sadly the stretches don't seem to do anything.

Left Knee - Dislocates if I twist on it. I have hypermobility which causes this sort of thing, but its particularly bad in that knee.

DVT - Right leg. This was a few years back, but it destroyed a lot of valves in my lower leg. Terrible circulation now, gets very cold when riding and prone to cramps.

Shins - I don't believe this is shin splints, but both my shins are currently hurting when I put tortion through my lower legs. Seems to be particularly bad after squatting.

Stupid broken body.

Edit - I'm forgetting one for sure.

mdsfx

I really need to change my mentality somehow. I have so much riding on my races psychologically that I'm devastated if I can't run them for any reason. This really isn't the way to go about it. I shouldn't be in a bad mood with my kids bc of first world problems like this. Talk about tunnel vision...

Probably a side effect of all the effort you put into preparing for them. I get much the same with my cycling events. Get stressed out if my mind on the run into them; making sure everything is sorted for it. As soon as I start that all goes away though.

BumRush

Home gym really is so nice. I have a 45 min window to lift today, which would be impossible if I had to go to the gym. Home gym plus arm day means I can squeeze it in with a tabata on the airdyne for added bonus.

I've been heavily into boxing/boxing conditioning as of late. Tuesday and Thursday 6AM and 6PM i'm with my coach and a couple other trainees. It's my HIIT training. Getting ready for summer and I just wanted to be more mobile.

The biggest draw back is that I'm missing out on heavy lifting. I'm trying to figure out how and when to incorporate it with boxing. With all the boxing/boxing conditioning everything has changed. I had to up my calorie intake, but not too much because I'm cutting.

BumRush

I've been heavily into boxing/boxing conditioning as of late. Tuesday and Thursday 6AM and 6PM i'm with my coach and a couple other trainees. It's my HIIT training. Getting ready for summer and I just wanted to be more mobile.

The biggest draw back is that I'm missing out on heavy lifting. I'm trying to figure out how and when to incorporate it with boxing. With all the boxing/boxing conditioning everything has changed. I had to up my calorie intake, but not too much because I'm cutting.

Have you lost much size doing it? And shit, I honestly can't imagine you MORE shredded, lol

velociraptor

Shoulders - Broke both collar bones as kid, since then I get pretty much continuous shoulder injuries of one sort or another. Usually rotator cuff, but this most recent one seems delt involved.

Wrist - Broke as a kid (did a lot of that). Now sounds like a cement mixer and locks in place from time to time. Absolutely have to use wrist wraps for everything.

Tennis Elbow - Same arm as knackered wrist. Sadly the stretches don't seem to do anything.

Left Knee - Dislocates if I twist on it. I have hypermobility which causes this sort of thing, but its particularly bad in that knee.

DVT - Right leg. This was a few years back, but it destroyed a lot of valves in my lower leg. Terrible circulation now, gets very cold when riding and prone to cramps.

Shins - I don't believe this is shin splints, but both my shins are currently hurting when I put tortion through my lower legs. Seems to be particularly bad after squatting.

Stupid broken body.

Edit - I'm forgetting one for sure.

How did you get DVT? Family history? Hereditary predisposition? Following major trauma or orthopaedic surgery?

I hurt my back today.

How did I hurt my back you may ask?

Happened when I pulled my polo shirt off my head, and now my back feels really tight and shit. lel.

How did you get DVT? Family history? Hereditary predisposition? Following major trauma or orthopaedic surgery?

Just happened. Only two things that I could possibly link to it are...

1: Got a massive cramp riding my bike, possibly tore something.
2: Spent a couple of days in bed with the flu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom