• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
happy birthday darthy mcdarthdarth

Nope. Looks like I won't hear until morning.

On the brighter side, I spent a good part of my day putting things into perspective. Regardless of whether or not I have a fracture, I'm still able to cycle and do most of my weight training.

This is also one of the least important races to me, the most important being one of the half marathons in the fall to raise money for my daughter's school district.

It's also not the fucking Olympics, so I guess I can chill. My training hasn't gone to waste. I'm faster than I've ever been and don't need a shitty bottle-opener 'medal' or official time to prove it.

stay strong brother man <3

mdsfx

Welp...

Good news = no fracture

Bad news = can't do anything that hurts (which is everything but cycling)

Hoping it will heal enough before next Saturday, but if not... Oh well. Guess I'll just heal up before the 10k at the end of April :/

PS- thanks for the support!

BumRush

Hey all...I'm new here.

I'm not really new to working out..but I was curious if anyone else here is taking blood pressure meds. I noticed that since I started taking them, I'm feeling considerably more drained after lifting.

Anyone else experience this?

I posted a while back about high BP. Luckily I avoided meds by changing up my lifestyle a bit. Any chance you could get off the meds and try other things, or have you already tried that?

Welp...

Good news = no fracture

Hoping it will heal enough before next Saturday, but if not... Oh well. Guess I'll just heal up before the 10k at the end of April :/

Dude, that's excellent news. Have you been RICE-ing it?????

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Welp...

Good news = no fracture

Great news bro.

Chocobro

Those actually look great. Would it be weird to wear them out on the town?

It would be weird, but the reason why you don't want to do that is you don't want to unnecessarily wear the shoe down faster. There's a lot of stuff out in the streets that can damage the shoes whereas the weightlifting platforms and facilities are mostly clean.

If you're Klokov and/or can get new weightlifting shoes anytime, then sure, wear them outside of the gym.

Whoo, glad to hear everything turned out alright mdsfx.

Spirit, may I remind fitgaf that today is your birthday?

I think people here should wish you a very happy birthday :)

Whaaaat? Happy birthday to the king of quads!!

Happy birthday buddy!!! Doing anything fun??

Also, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, REAVER!

Happy birthday Darth! Yeah I went old school!

happy birthday darthy mcdarthdarth
Man I love you guys, thanks. :) The big 30, so I hope this means I get my Cooter Superman gains now. Thanks buds.

Anywho, I share my birthday with two other friends, so we're all getting together tonight. Should be a good time.

SeanR1221

Welp...

Good news = no fracture

Good to hear!

BumRush

I'm currently sitting at my desk with a single shoe on, icing the bad foot with an instant cold pack I grabbed from one of our first aid kits lol

"This IS an emergency!"

Hahaha good man.

Man I love you guys, thanks. :) The big 30, so I hope this means I get my Cooter Superman gains now. Thanks buds.

Anywho, I share my birthday with two other friends, so we're all getting together tonight. Should be a good time.

Enjoy! Life starts at 30!!

Hey all...I'm new here.

I'm not really new to working out..but I was curious if anyone else here is taking blood pressure meds. I noticed that since I started taking them, I'm feeling considerably more drained after lifting.

Anyone else experience this?

I was on BP meds when I started my whole exercise transition. How you feel depends on what type of meds you're taking as some of them do come with the effect of feeling a bit tired while on them. It takes a bit of getting used to at first, but you'll eventually acclimate. Hopefully, with continued effort in exercising and a good diet (DASH) you could be able to get off the meds.

Unless you have a genetic predisposition to HTN regardless of how much you work out or change your diet -________-

justjim89

Since I've been posting here a bit more regularly, I figured I'd post a progress pic of me right now vs. August of last year before I got started exercising. It's easy for me to get down on myself for my stalled progress the past few months or feeling like I haven't accomplished much, but looking at where I am vs. where I was and how much I've really changed is kinda cathartic. Even though I'd like to lose up to 30 more pounds and drastically reduce my body fat, the hardest part is well behind me.

ColdPizza

Banned
I posted a while back about high BP. Luckily I avoided meds by changing up my lifestyle a bit. Any chance you could get off the meds and try other things, or have you already tried that?

That's what I'm trying now...I have room to lose another 20-30 pounds. Hoping that will do the trick.

I was on BP meds when I started my whole exercise transition. How you feel depends on what type of meds you're taking as some of them do come with the effect of feeling a bit tired while on them. It takes a bit of getting used to at first, but you'll eventually acclimate. Hopefully, with continued effort in exercising and a good diet (DASH) you could be able to get off the meds.

Hoping to just change up my lifestyle so I don't have to depend on these pills. Wish me luck. I'm down 17 pounds already, want to lose another 20-30.

What did you change? My BP is a little above normal and I want to control it before it gets serious. I do cardio once a week but I still drink coffee most days

BumRush

That's what I'm trying now...I have room to lose another 20-30 pounds. Hoping that will do the trick.

Hoping to just change up my lifestyle so I don't have to depend on these pills. Wish me luck. I'm down 17 pounds already, want to lose another 20-30.

A few things that did it for me...

1). cutting back on whiskey (unfortunately). "Dark alcohols" are really bad for BP.
2). tracking my sodium intake (sort of a no brainer)
3). hibiscus tea. It's a HBP wonder drug. Give it a shot!

In addition, I eat better, do more cardio, avoid stress, meditate daily, etc. In 6-8 weeks I lowered it over 20 points and it's consistently stayed lower.

What did you change? My BP is a little above normal and I want to control it before it gets serious. I do cardio once a week but I still drink coffee most days

See above.

ILoveBish

Back down to 220.4, will be strict PSMF today again but Korean BBQ tomorrow. Easter dinner on Sunday too. I just can't win.

That being said, we're now home owners. Escrow closed yesterday and we'll have the keys Sat or Sunday. Life long dream come true. Thank you God.

Back down to 220.4, will be strict PSMF today again but Korean BBQ tomorrow. Easter dinner on Sunday too. I just can't win.

That being said, we're now home owners. Escrow closed yesterday and we'll have the keys Sat or Sunday. Life long dream come true. Thank you God.

It is SO god damn nice to have your own place. Congratulations, and enjoy every second. Even the work.

Especially the work.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Nice!!

Using chains like that looks evil. The closer you are to completing a rep, the more chain you've picked up off the floor making the weight increase.

That's exactly it.

It looked like you had so many more in you too, which is insane.

p.s. what was with the zoom effect??

Lol, thanks and the zoom effect is just part of YouTube capture editing. I don't do it at all.

Szu

Happy birthday, buddy. Wait, you're only turning 30.

tumblr_m6q3oxeBBU1r4my8ko2_500.gif

Faiz

Awesome, dude. Home ownership has its headaches, but I couldn't go back to renting. Maybe when I'm old and too tired, haha. Enjoy mate!

4x2 75lbs pull ups
4x3 220lbs power cleans
2x500 meter rows at 1:27 each.

Feeling good despite the calorie drop. Saved 900 of my calories for pizza tonight, can't wait. First time I've had pizza since mid February. Still dropping about 2lbs a week.

velociraptor

Hmm for some reason I was leaner last week. I took pics and I could see my abs. Now I look fat. I'm on a cut (eating 2200 on workout days, 1500 on rest days). what's going on o_o

Should I reduce my calories?

Hmm for some reason I was leaner last week. I took pics and I could see my abs. Now I look fat. I'm on a cut (eating 2200 on workout days, 1500 on rest days). what's going on o_o

Are you weighing once a week? All I hear you saying is visually you look different, which isn't always accurate.

If not I'd probably stay the course another week and see. Water weight, sodium, etc. can make make those details vary a bit, no need to freak out after one week. You're in it for the long game. Stay consistent.

ILoveBish

Omg, huge Craigslist score. I just happened to look and dude had just posted his ad. Got the following:

8x45 plates
2x25
4x10
8x5
4x2.5

Plate tree
Olympic curl bar
Olympic dumbbell set
Barbell clamps (2 sets)
Lat pulldown bar

And I think that's it, might be more. All for 280! Plus my fiance's engagement ring is now in from getting custom made. What a time to be alive bros.

Awesome, dude. Home ownership has its headaches, but I couldn't go back to renting. Maybe when I'm old and too tired, haha. Enjoy mate!

Yah man, so excited it's insane.

Dinjooh

So the girlfriend got one of these bad boys for her birthday, and with it she got some pancake attachments. So naturally I tried to make protein pancakes and eggs on it. Turned out great!

fRghDly.jpg

830kc, 51g protein, 52g carbs, 39g fat right there. Not too bad for what tasted like a cheat meal.

BumRush

As octo said it's probably water weight, sodium, etc. It happens. Keep doing what you're doing.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

What are you eating?

What were you eating last week?

Today I finally ran a mile without stopping.
Feels good, I was initially gonna give it a shot on Monday but I thought "what the hell, let's see if I can at least do 4 laps straight".
4 laps, 6, 8 and then bam finally 12. I did the mile. Never in my fat life have I ran that. The time sucked at 8m30+s but I'm looking forward to getting that down and adding more miles.

Thanks Gaf for the stretches, I've been doing them everytime before I run and its helped out.

mdsfx

Today I finally ran a mile without stopping.
Feels good, I was initially gonna give it a shot on Monday but I thought "what the hell, let's see if I can at least do 4 laps straight".
4 laps, 6, 8 and then bam finally 12. I did the mile. Never in my fat life have I ran that. The time sucked at 8m30+s but I'm looking forward to getting that down and adding more miles.

Thanks Gaf for the stretches, I've been doing them everytime before I run and its helped out.

Dude, when I started running last year, it was at almost a 10-minute pace. You're doing just fine. Congrats!

Dude, when I started running last year, it was at almost a 10-minute pace. You're doing just fine. Congrats!
Thanks! Feels super good. I remember going on here two months ago asking for advice on how not to get shin splints, barely being able to run a lap. Those stretches really helped out.

mdsfx

Is a 10-minute mile bad? I've been running for like 7 months and for me 10 minutes is a good mile.
It's different for everyone depending on how long you've been running, your health, your body mechanics, goals, running distance etc. There is no universal scale. Is 10 minutes bad for an elite runner? yes (even 6 minutes would be!). Is it bad for you? Only you can answer that.

To me, benching 250lbs is amazing. To Brolic, that's laughable. I think an hour of cardio makes you a badass. Psychotext thinks it's 36.

ILoveBish

Cage is ordered!!!!

Titan fitness never does promo codes, I got an email with the code madness10 for 10% off. Got the t3 cage, spotter arms, dip bars, Olympic ring kit and speed rope for under 475 shipped.

Day of the forever. Thank you God.

velociraptor

What are you eating?

What were you eating last week?

I pretty much eat the same things every day

Rest days I keep my carbs under 60g, raise the fats (maybe 70g). Protein is 180g+ Training days, carbs are 230g, protein 180g+, fats low.

Diet consists of chicken, potatoes/pasta/insert carb here (sometimes I have cereal PWO if I'm lazy), bananas, oatmeal, milk, whey and caesin, spinach/brussel sprouts/broccoli, almond butter and peanut butter.

I weigh myself whenever I go to the gym. But I guess I'll continue with it. I'm just surprised because it feels there is a significant amount of fat, particularly on my lower abs. I wonder if it's because of all the peanut butter I've been eating over the past week, or the fact I had cereal PWO (a bad carb source?)

Ah well, will get back on track and see how things go from here.

velociraptor

So the girlfriend got one of these bad boys for her birthday, and with it she got some pancake attachments. So naturally I tried to make protein pancakes and eggs on it. Turned out great!

fRghDly.jpg

830kc, 51g protein, 52g carbs, 39g fat right there. Not too bad for what tasted like a cheat meal.
Oh damn, that snack collection cooker looks incredible. The fact the plates are removable must mean cleaning is a breeze too.

Do you recommend it?

Dinjooh

Oh damn, that snack collection cooker looks incredible. The fact the plates are removable must mean cleaning is a breeze too.

Do you recommend it?

I'm literally eating a batch of pancakes and panlettes (that's what I've decided on for the name so far) right now, so in that sense - hell yes.

But seriously, are you currently missing either an waffle iron or a sandwich toaster? Great, toss your old one out and buy this one that can do both (and some other odd things). If you currently have all you need but in different appliances, eh - wait till one of them breaks.

Faiz

Saturday morning weight is a little disappointing: 167.6, which is up 1.8 since last week. BUT, I was 165.4 on Wednesday, and yesterday I gave in to my wife's request for Indian so I'm pretty sure this is salt related water weight. Not gonna sweat it but gonna be extra careful over the next week to get a more accurate read next Saturday, when the goal is to be 164.

SeanR1221

183? All time low. I'll take that leading into Easter. I fully plan on stuffing my face with ham, sweet potatoes and Easter bread, and then loading up on cannoli and gelato (can you tell we're an Italian family?)

BumRush

183? All time low. I'll take that leading into Easter. I fully plan on stuffing my face with ham, sweet potatoes and Easter bread, and then loading up on cannoli and gelato (can you tell we're an Italian family?)

Congrats man. You've come such a long way! Enjoy the face stuffing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom