• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BumRush

I f*cking hate being that guy not eating at a lunch meeting. Everyone has to ask. Just stuff your own face and stop acting like I think I'm better than you.

Edit: ugh, top of page :[

50 post GAF is the worst!

P.s. if I'm cutting at a work function I'll just load up on protein and salad. Fills the plate.

Is it sad that I don't remember what I was doing? Lol

5x5 bench/weighted pullups, squats/DL, OHP/rows.

I just can't find a program where I'm adding muscle, and my diet seems pretty good.

My current routine:

Monday:

Bench
DL
Weighted dips
Weighted pullups
2 different biceps/triceps exercises

Wednesday:

Squats
OHP

Friday:

DB chest press
Weighted chinups
Incline bench
Cable rows
2 biceps/triceps exercises

Now is aworkoutroutine a legit site? Hows' the author? I've been doing an upper/lower split this week from his site. It goes upper, lower, upper then next week lower, upper, lower:

M (upper A): Bench (3x6-8), rows(3x6-8), incline DB press(3x8-10), lat pulldowns(3x8-10), lateral DB raises (2x-10-12), tricep press downs (2x-10-12), curls (2x10-12).

W (lower B):

Romanian Deadlifts
3 sets of 6-8 reps.
2-3 minutes rest between sets.
Leg Press
3 sets of 10-12 reps.
1-2 minutes rest between sets.
Seated Leg Curls
3 sets of 8-10 reps.
Standing Calf Raises
4 sets of 6-8 reps.
Abs
x sets of 8-15 reps.
1 minute rest between sets.

F (upper B):

Pull-Ups
3 sets of 6-8 reps.
Barbell Shoulder Press
3 sets of 6-8 reps.
Seated Cable Row
3 sets of 8-10 reps.
Dumbbell Bench Press
3 sets of 8-10 reps.
Dumbbell Flyes
2 sets of 10-12 reps.
Barbell Curls
2 sets of 10-12 reps.
Skull Crushers
2 sets of 10-12 reps.

(lower B)

Squats
3 sets of 6-8 reps.
Split Squats
3 sets of 8-10 reps.
Laying Leg Curls
3 sets of 10-12 reps.
Seated Calf Raises
4 sets of 10-12 reps.
Abs
x sets of 8-15 reps.

The Chef

Yeah, I've been refining my form.

My biggest problem is that I lack the elbow mobility to get into the front squat position.

For me, it ends up similar to my OHP position, which is fine for the press part.

If I recall, the member with the name similar to "tookyourjobz" did it too.

Same problem I have. When I setup for front squats I am able to get it into the right position on my shoulders, but my elbows are still way too low. I just dont have the wrist flexibility I guess? Holding the bar with my pinky out seems to allow me to stretch a bit further.
I guess it will just get better the more you do it?

Bum, I did what you suggested today for my second chest day. Decided to take your advice and not go for 3x a week.
Dumbell bench but tried out the holding rep like you mentioned. Brought the dumbells down as low as I could, took a couple breaths and then tried to have a more explosive press from it. Loved it!
Got 100lb db's up for 2. Not terrible :p

BumRush

Same problem I have. When I setup for front squats I am able to get it into the right position on my shoulders, but my elbows are still way too low. I just dont have the wrist flexibility I guess? Holding the bar with my pinky out seems to allow me to stretch a bit further.

Bum, I did what you suggested today for my second chest day. Decided to take your advice and not go for 3x a week.
Dumbell bench but tried out the holding rep like you mentioned. Brought the dumbells down as low as I could, took a couple breaths and then tried to have a more explosive press from it. Loved it!
Got 100lb db's up for 2. Not terrible :p

Great work dude. I didn't mention it before but I believe in doing paused DB press in the 8-12 rep range. The fatigue at that point is unreal.

Try doing 75 pound dbs for 8 with a 5 second pause at the bottom next time (3 sets)

And if you're feeling psychotic, superset each set with pushups to failure.

Fuuuuuuuuck.

I shouldn't have watched that deadlift vid. I won't know what the hell happened until I watch the vids, but every rep felt like crap, and I only on 2/5 on my work set.

Ugh, I really hope I can get my form back. :(

Faiz

Just saw a vein popping on my forearm that I've always suspected would if I started leaning out more.

Motivation!

The Chef

Great work dude. I didn't mention it before but I believe in doing paused DB press in the 8-12 rep range. The fatigue at that point is unreal.

Try doing 75 pound dbs for 8 with a 5 second pause at the bottom next time (3 sets)

And if you're feeling psychotic, superset each set with pushups to failure.

Oh craaaaaaap that sounds nuts!
Ok man I'm doing this next week.

Ashhong

Hey guys, my roommates and I wanted to buy some stuff for a home gym and found a Powerhouse half cage/squat rack with lat pull down, olympic bar, 2x45, 2x35, 2x25, 2x10, 2x5, 2x2.5 weights, and an adjustable bench for 400$. Is that a good deal? It's pretty decent condition as well

01313_a8USgZJ4uCk_600x450.jpg

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
So the other day while I was doing seated row a guy stopped me to critique form. He explained that I should be doing it more as a focused lat exercise rather than involving the whole back.

I've been doing lat pulldowns for my lats, bent over row for mid back, and seated row I perform a full rowing motion to engage my entire back + arms.

Am I wrong in doing it that way?

---

What he showed:
CBRowNeckElbowOut.gif

How I perform it:
115.gif

BumRush

What he showed:
CBRowNeckElbowOut.gif

For what it's worth, I do it this way. I use it as an upper back isolation exercise and do a little less weight but pause at the chest. I've seen people doing it the other way, so I don't know...maybe it depends what you're targeting.

Ashhong

I'd say so. My bar cost more than that setup. lol

Sweet, good to know

So the other day while I was doing seated row a guy stopped me to critique form. He explained that I should be doing it more as a focused lat exercise rather than involving the whole back.

I've been doing lat pulldowns for my lats, bent over row for mid back, and seated row I perform a full rowing motion to engage my entire back + arms.

---

What he showed:
CBRowNeckElbowOut.gif

How I perform it:
115.gif

I always see people do it your way. I prefer to do it the first way, making sure to keep my back tight and core flexed. I feel it does more, because you're using all muscles instead of momentum

Granadier

Sweet, good to know

I always see people do it your way. I prefer to do it the first way, making sure to keep my back tight and core flexed. I feel it does more, because you're using all muscles instead of momentum

To be fair, when I do these I life slow so that momentum isn't a factor.

Thanks for the input both of ya. I'll try it the other way and see how it feels.

sphinx

the piano man
For what it's worth, I do it this way. I use it as an upper back isolation exercise and do a little less weight but pause at the chest. I've seen people doing it the other way, so I don't know...maybe it depends what you're targeting.

back when I was learning this exercise I remember there were huge discrepancies, some people said "I wasn't engaging my back enough" (...) by doing it like in the first gif, other people said that by doing it like in the 2nd gif, I'd eventually hurt my back badly.....

I tried both and decided the first one felt better and like l was actually targeting my back so kept it.

Szu

I'm hoping this is the outcome when we finally reach that level.

C365r13.gif

velociraptor

I f*cking hate being that guy not eating at a lunch meeting. Everyone has to ask. Just stuff your own face and stop acting like I think I'm better than you.

Edit: ugh, top of page :[

lol get the same feeling all the time. We have group teaching sessions every Tuesday and Friday at my school but there is also a snack rota. I never eat what others bring in.

Ashhong

To be fair, when I do these I life slow so that momentum isn't a factor.

Thanks for the input both of ya. I'll try it the other way and see how it feels.

I'm no pro, but I would think as long as you are keeping your back straight and tight, similar to squats, it's fine either way.

---

What he showed:
CBRowNeckElbowOut.gif

How I perform it:
115.gif
I perform the pull to my stomach like in GIF2, hinging at the shoulders and pulling with the elbows, thumbs stay finger side to lessen bicep contraction and focus on the back.

Granadier

Out of curiosity, what are the advantages for resistance bands on the lifts over adding more weight?

Ashhong

I just realized I do neither of those pictures.

I extend my legs a bit more and pull it to my stomach like in GIF2, but I don't move my back like that. I keep it straight pull in like GIF1. Basically a mix of the 2.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Out of curiosity, what are the advantages for resistance bands on the lifts over adding more weight?

This may be just stating the obvious, but it makes the lift more difficult on the way up as the tension increases rather than it being a set amount of weight throughout the entire motion.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
If anyone is in the STL area tomorrow I'm hosting an open gym strongman Saturday. 3 events to train. Let me know.

What they said, but to be more in depth, the closer to lockout with bands the more it pulls against you. It's nothing like adding more weight it's actively working against you forcing you not only to be more consistent in force output, but to increase it. Effectively you're trying to beat the band to lockout because it's not goingn to stop working against you. Chains don't even do this, they just add weight incrementally. Read up on accommodating resistance. It's a fantastic toolbox for the strength athlete.

I just realized I do neither of those pictures.

I extend my legs a bit more and pull it to my stomach like in GIF2, but I don't move my back like that. I keep it straight pull in like GIF1. Basically a mix of the 2.
I start with arms fully stretched out and leaning forward like I am about to do a lat pulldown. I begin pulling and when my elbows are at a 90 degree I lock them, begin to lean back as I rotate the arm down and pull with my elbows. At the point where the triangle touches my stomach I squeeze my shoulder blades to finish the pull through. The top of the pull and hinge at the shoulder puts heaps of stress on my lats and the squeeze with the central part of the back helps round out the pull. The slow lean backwards adjusts the pull angle for maximum activation of the muscles through the pull. Like skull crushers, when the arm is fully extended and perpendicular to the floor you can sit there all day, but if you rotate the shoulder and end up at a 30 or so degree angle above your head, this keeps tension on the Tris. Same thing here.

I'm a huge proponent of changing the working angle of an exercise, when possible, to keep the weight, be it gravity or cable, working against the muscle you are trying to activate throughout the rep.

Granadier

This may be just stating the obvious, but it makes the lift more difficult on the way up as the tension increases rather than it being a set amount of weight throughout the entire motion.

depending on setup it adds more weight at the top or bottom of the lift (y) so in the video it would get heavier as he goes up and light at the bottom.

What they said, but to be more in depth, the closer to lockout with bands the more it pulls against you. It's nothing like adding more weight it's actively working against you forcing you not only to be more consistent in force output, but to increase it. Effectively you're trying to beat the band to lockout because it's not goingn to stop working against you. Chains don't even do this, they just add weight incrementally. Read up on accommodating resistance. It's a fantastic toolbox for the strength athlete.

Great answers, thanks. That adds a really interesting dynamic to the lift I would imagine.

Ugh, fuck this eating shit. I can't cope any more.

I've been eating literally non stop since I finished weights and I'm still 700kcal short. I feel so sick. I'm going to try and eat some biscuits or something, because fuck trying to find anything healthy.

GrizzNKev

Banned

I've been eating literally non stop since I finished weights and I'm still 700kcal short. I feel so sick. I'm going to try and eat some biscuits or something, because fuck trying to find anything healthy.

it's ice cream time baby

theytookourjobz

Any of you guys heard of romwod? I know it has very "CrossFit-esque" name but it's probably the best thing I've added to my training in a long time. It's a $14 a month subscription and they spit out a new yoga/passive stretching routine to follow every day. Each one is around 20 minutes with one day a week being a longer 45 min long session. It's super relaxing and my mobility and recovery is gotten sooo much better in the 4 months I've been following. 20 mins a day makes it easy to stay consistent. I've got a referral link for a 2 week trial if anyone is interested, otherwise I think they give out a week free to anyone.

The Chef

You guys could be a Szu Chef!!! *rimshot sound*

Hahaha good lord

I remember dealing with this last year. I realized early on that a "clean bulk" is next to impossible.

Any of you guys heard of romwod? I know it has very "CrossFit-esque" name but it's probably the best thing I've added to my training in a long time. It's a $14 a month subscription and they spit out a new yoga/passive stretching routine to follow every day. Each one is around 20 minutes with one day a week being a longer 45 min long session. It's super relaxing and my mobility and recovery is gotten sooo much better in the 4 months I've been following. 20 mins a day makes it easy to stay consistent. I've got a referral link for a 2 week trial if anyone is interested, otherwise I think they give out a week free to anyone.

I wouldn't mind a look. Might not be a bad way to start the day.

mdsfx

My wife made some pretty awesome, scratch-made cupcakes. I don't think she realizes yet that I'm not eating one.

Anyone have an extra room for the night? Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom