• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deadlift, OHP and rows definitely don't need anything.

For squat and bench, ideally you want spotter bars (if you don't have a spotter). You'll almost certainly have them in a squat rack, but not all benches have them.

You should be squatting in a rack with repositionable safety bars.

Something like this:

q5WuvUO.jpg

Those black bars can go wherever they need to to be just under your squat depth, that way it's easy to bail out of a squat, you just sit down.

But don't be scared, your legs are stronger than you think and an empty barbell is lighter than you think.

Your best option for bench if you don't have anything like that, is to not put the weight collars on. That way, if you find yourself getting squished by the bar, you can just tip it over and the weights will come off.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Thanks for the advice. Rest assured I won't be starting this without proper supervision though. I'll work my way up the weights just for getting comfortable with proper form and safety.

And yeah, my gym has proper squatting and benching racks so i'll definitely make use of the safety bars in there.

mdsfx

Need to buy more preworkout. Are there any that just have a handful of the critical ingredients and not loaded with crap?

Really not sure I have the will to buy everything myself and blend my own...

Edit: hell yeah, look at all these early morning (for me) posts!

BumRush

Need to buy more preworkout. Are there any that just have a handful of the critical ingredients and not loaded with crap?

Really not sure I have the will to buy everything myself and blend my own...

Edit: hell yeah, look at all these early morning (for me) posts!

Do you think you really still need pre-workout? Just an opinion but the store bought stuff just can't be good for you at all. Unless it helps you with running but for me it made running uncomfortable

mdsfx

Do you think you really still need pre-workout? Just an opinion but the store bought stuff just can't be good for you at all.
I certainly perform better with one, especially being fasted and having to do most of my lifting at 5:45am. Of course, maybe just some coffee and beta alanine would do it?

Edit: I never use it for cardio. Not only does it make me have to piss more often, but I don't like the extra-elevated heartrate during a run.

BumRush

I certainly perform better with one, especially being fasted and having to do most of my lifting at 5:45am. Of course, maybe just some coffee and beta alanine would do it?

Edit: I never use it for cardio. Not only does it make me have to piss more often, but I don't like the extra-elevated heartrate during a run.

I'd try coffee and beta alanine. I relied on pre workouts for a while but overall it wasn't too hard for me to get used to coffee.

mdsfx

I'd try coffee and beta alanine. I relied on pre workouts for a while but overall it wasn't too hard for me to get used to coffee.
I love coffee, so maybe that'll do. Are caffiene and beta-alanine the only two major preworkout ingredients I might need?

Fox318

Most Buzz I've felt from a pre workout is that Mr Hyde. Holy shit.

Im now using the NO xplode but for some reason my face is flushing red if I'm not moving around or active when I take it.

Niacin flush I'm guessing...

I add BCAA (fasted workout) and creatine too, but the creatine is taken then mostly because I'll just forget to take it at any other point if I don't.

velociraptor

I add BCAA (fasted workout) and creatine too, but the creatine is taken then mostly because I'll just forget to take it at any other point if I don't.

I presume this all works out a lot cheaper than simply buying ready-made pre-workout, correct? Where do you buy your supps from?

BumRush

Yeah that last point about not consuming extra shit is super important. Looking at the ingredient list of store bought pre workouts makes me sick

BumRush

I'm one workout away from a deload week and I'm insanely excited...the things that make us happy lol

5X5 Clean and Press
5X5 Pendlays
Farmer walks
Airdyne sprints

mdsfx

Very easy, nice. I wish I could do those without wrecking my shoulders.
Thanks! Have you tried not allowing your arms to lock out at the bottom? Only asking because I go back up just before that happens so that my elbows are just slightly bent at the bottom. Otherwise it kills my shoulders.

Oddly it's at the top where I seem to have most of a problem, at this point I'm just used to the fact that I wont be able to do certain exercises. Upright rows are a guaranteed injury too.

Been doing some reading around and I think I'm probably going to introduce vitamin D and zinc supplementation into my regime when I'm cutting. Being in the UK (and a desk jockey) I get fuck all sunlight, and I'm not convinced that my diet has any significant sources of zinc.

Maybe help fix my sex drive a bit? Who knows.

The Chef

Been doing some reading around and I think I'm probably going to introduce vitamin D and zinc supplementation into my regime when I'm cutting. Being in the UK (and a desk jockey) I get fuck all sunlight, and I'm not convinced that my diet has any significant sources of zinc.

Maybe help fix my sex drive a bit? Who knows.

I REALLY need to up my Vitamin D game. Makes a huge difference for me mentally more than anything.

Day after deadlifts - no soreness in my lower back but my legs and glutes are way sore.
To not feel the exact opposite after doing deads is a HUGE success for me. I was so used to it I was sure lower back soreness was just what happens lol.

BumRush

Judging from your post times, you don't sleep much. Have you ever tried to get a solid 7-8 for a prolonged period of time?

Cooter hit the nail on the head when he said sleep is the most important thing for lifting (and I think it's true for a lot of aspects of life)

Day after deadlifts - no soreness in my lower back but my legs and glutes are way sore.
To not feel the exact opposite after doing deads is a HUGE success for me. I was so used to it I was sure lower back soreness was just what happens lol.

Yup. I feel the same way. I definitely engaged my hams a lot more this time out.

Judging from your post times, you don't sleep much. Have you ever tried to get a solid 7-8 for a prolonged period of time?

Me? I'm not doing too badly on sleep of late. This pic from the last quarter based on 7.5hours being the target.

I'm averaging more than 7 hours a night, though obviously there are nights when I get a good chunk less.

The Chef

I know Szu does them, but does anyone else clean and press?

Holy shit, what a phenomenal full body exercise.

Broooo I started doing them last week!
The next day I was WRECKED. Im definitely going to start incorporating them into my weekly routine.
In order to get my form right I started standing from the hips. Getting it to properly land on your shoulders in a front-squat position is seriously technical. Gonna take some practice for sure.

BumRush

Broooo I started doing them last week!
The next day I was WRECKED. Im definitely going to start incorporating them into my weekly routine.
In order to get my form right I started standing from the hips. Getting it to properly land on your shoulders in a front-squat position is seriously technical. Gonna take some practice for sure.

Definitely start with LIIIIIIIGHT weight with that lift. There are so many things that can go wrong...like so many things...but when they all go right? bumrushavatarquote.jpg

Szu

I know Szu does them, but does anyone else clean and press?

Holy shit, what a phenomenal full body exercise.

Yeah, I've been refining my form.

My biggest problem is that I lack the elbow mobility to get into the front squat position.

For me, it ends up similar to my OHP position, which is fine for the press part.

If I recall, the member with the name similar to "tookyourjobz" did it too.

The Chef

Definitely start with LIIIIIIIGHT weight with that lift. There are so many things that can go wrong...like so many things...but when they all go right? bumrushavatarquote.jpg

Dude totally. They kinda freak me out honestly.
I love this Alan Thrall power lifter. I feel like his explanations for proper form for this stuff is some of the best, especially doing cleans: https://youtu.be/mPsxlNjv7Aw

BumRush

Yeah, I've been refining my form.

My biggest problem is that I lack the elbow mobility to get into the front squat position.

For me, it ends up similar to my OHP position, which is fine for the press part.

Yeah I've seen your videos...it's not herky jerky like some cleans, it's like butter at room temperature (smooth, not sloppy)

Dude totally. They kinda freak me out honestly.
I love this Alan Thrall power lifter. I feel like his explanations for proper form for this stuff is some of the best, especially doing cleans: https://youtu.be/mPsxlNjv7Aw

Yeah, Thrall is the man!

Szu

Yeah I've seen your videos...it's not herky jerky like some cleans, it's like butter at room temperature (smooth, not sloppy)

Yeah, Thrall is the man!

Thanks, Bum, but as smooth as it looked I still have issues with it.

Thanks to my defective elbows, I have trouble getting under the bar. My main cheat is that lean my back too much to compensate for it, then I try to sneak under the bar.

Oh, you mentioning jerky and butter is making me hungry.

BumRush

Thanks, Bum, but as smooth as it looked I still have issues with it.

Thanks to my defective elbows, I have trouble getting under the bar. My main cheat is that lean my back too much to compensate for it, then I try to sneak under the bar.

Oh, you mentioning jerky and butter is making me hungry.

Jerky soaked in butter? Sounds unreal. BRB.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
First time back at the gym after 3 weeks ill, genuinely depressing having to lift so much less after losing quite a few pounds.

Hard work begins again.

mdsfx

I f*cking hate being that guy not eating at a lunch meeting. Everyone has to ask. Just stuff your own face and stop acting like I think I'm better than you.

Edit: ugh, top of page :[

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom