• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

Javaman

Weather channel live feed has a guy constantly filming in Naples, right in the middle of the eyewall. He's going to ride it out till the eye.

Just_one

Stay safe everyone in the florida state!

Im in portugal seeing the live broadcast for hours on CNN

major props for this reporters for having the guts to do something like this

Green Yoshi

Holy....

Everyone look at that..

Too bad she has no house in Miami.

DJYl-m0UMAI3ujf.jpg:large

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
Horror alert:

My sister lives in Gainesville. All the rain has now made her house a nest for snakes seeking shelter under it.

So be cautious, a lot of things besides rain and wind maybe he coming towards you.

Aikidoka

This is the area the responses talk about: https://www.google.com/maps/@25.770...4!1s72Hz7NhtgYh-kvn-a6kh-w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

It's very much a canal / river with a walking path next to it. Just because something is a river doesn't mean it's a river in a forest or plain.

ok, but is what's shown in this video, https://twitter.com/RyanAFournier/status/906948284215939072, not normally streets that are flooded? Looks too narrow to be the canal and has the overhead lights you see on a road.

Since it weakened I decided to stay. I dont know how the roof would handle a cat 4 or close to it, but this house is solid thats for sure. Cant even tell there is high winds outside at all.

Steejee

Weather Channel showing a man trying not to die outside in a hurricane. Slightly irresponsible.

I kinda feel like this guy is in heaven right now. Just the chance to stand out in the open through an eyewall and into the eye with craploads of people watching. I'm a bit surprised none of the trees in the background have snapped in two, or that he hasn't been taken out by a branch (though I think the car is partially shielding him).

III-V

Since it weakened I decided to stay. I dont know how the roof would handle a cat 4 or close to it, but this house is solid thats for sure. Cant even tell there is high winds outside at all.

We are not even under tropical storm wind conditions yet, so there aren't any high winds outside.

Reporter on Telemundo is nearly waist-deep, walking through the storm surge in downtown Miami with the winds blowing full force. His cameraman was there with him until they got the camera to the top of the stairs.

And they've got another reporter in Florida City who slipped and fell due to the winds (no flooding though). He may have been exaggerating his fall though, since the winds didn't seem that strong.

ok, but is what's shown in this video, https://twitter.com/RyanAFournier/status/906948284215939072, not normally streets that are flooded? Looks too narrow to be the canal and has the overhead lights you see on a road.

Look at again at the Google Maps street view and the height of the water on a calm day. It's not going to take much to push that water up and over and into the streets. You're looking at this as if it's a 20 foot deep raging river, but water can look like that in 1-2 feet of water. Look at the bases of the tree, the water is not super high. Also considering the location of these streets it's very plausible they're designed to funnel water which can attribute to that river look.

Top Bottom