• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

So did this get over hyped? Already down a cat 2, people might not take the next hurricane warning seriously since this isn't still a 5 destroying shit left and right.

giphy.gif

It's amazing how little control we have on earth. Hurricanes are a force that need to remind us to respect nature. Many destroyed neighborhoods should have never been built. The eco system of Florida used to be able to handle this kind of stuff, but we've pushed farther and farther to the coast line and into the Everglades. When all is said and done, they'll rebuild and keep building more.

You know what I mean, seeing mother nature at work. Fucking awful yet phenomenal (?) at the same time.

I'm just as fascinated by this storm as you are. The sheer size, force, and even how slow it's creeping along the coast is dramatically different than any other storm I've seen.

So did this get over hyped? Already down a cat 2, people might not take the next hurricane warning seriously since this isn't still a 5 destroying shit left and right.

There's video of streets flooded, houses destroyed, tornados, storm surges impending....what more did you want?

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member

No it is not. It's an extremely deadly force of nature. It should never be taken lightly. We were extraordinarily fortunate not to have had something stronger.

The Stealth Fox

*picks up shingle*
"That could kill you"
*continues to stand where the shingle was*

Why do people say s*** like this?

Hurricanes are a big deal, period. Not all cat 1s, cat 2s etc are the same. The area of effect of this storm is monstrous and that alone is a big deal. 115 mph winds and flooding are also a big deal

It could instantly vanish and no one who actually had to prepare for it would consider it over-hyped. The only people who might not take it seriously next time are idiots on the sidelines asking questions about whether it's over-hyped.

Mifune

Mehmber
My mom texted me from Naples. Lots of tree limbs outside and water but so far no damage or flooding to the house. Now the storm surge...

shockdude

Another quote on the bandwagon, but yeah. Come back once we get more info on Key West, for example.

Makki

There's video of streets flooded, houses destroyed, tornados, storm surges impending....what more did you want?

I think this is an expected reaction given the spaghetti noodle models had people fleeing Florida as a whole a week out when the storm was pitched as not hitting Cuba and coming over full force. Yes there is destruction, but the media had everyone panicking at every point in the state.
It only hurts the people who really needed to evacuate.

Unbounded

I mean while I'm a big advocate of "don't fuck around with nature" there's no denying everyone was making it sound like Florida would be wiped off of the map and razed to the ground.

People expected worse once the bands hit. It's just raining here in Orlando. I remember being in Rosemont with Floyd and a Squall coming out of nowhere.

I think this is an expected reaction given the spaghetti noodle models had people fleeing Florida as a whole a week out when the storm was pitched as not hitting Cuba and coming over full force. Yes there is destruction, but the media had everyone panicking at every point in the state.

The media can only report what information they have available at the time!!!
They can't tell the future! Weather forecast is a hard science, nobody was hyping anything up, NHC says hey this thing is destructive, prepare yourself, then that's what you report.

gdt

I mean while I'm a big advocate of "don't fuck around with nature" there's no denying everyone was making it sound like Florida would be wiped off of the map and razed to the ground.

If a cat 5 hurricane hit Miami dead on (like it was projected to for a while) it would've razed it indeed.

LiK

2M without power currently in FL and we still dunno what the storm surge has done so far. Cat 3 is still dangerous.

Kusagari

The Keys were completely submerged, more people have lost power than ever before, roofs are being torn off.

Like Jesus. Some of you people sound like you wanted an 185 mph Cat 5 to bulldoze South Florida.

ced

Probably still too early to say, but looks like those of us in Tallahassee will be dodging this bullet. TS force winds will still be destructive but if this thing went a tad bit more west we would be wrecked.

There was a category 5 hurricane wobbling through the caribbean, what did you want officials to do? The storm surges, as far as I know, haven't even begun yet and we're still waiting on word from the Keys

gdt

The Keys were completely submerged, more people have lost power than ever before, roofs are being torn off.

Like Jesus. Some of you people sound like you wanted an 185 mph Cat 5 to bulldoze South Florida.

They'd still say the media overhyped if that happened.

Yawn

III-V

Yes, major disappointment all of FL isn't Katrina damage ffs. Some people are so short sighted its disgusting.

I remember people saying this when Katrina was "only" a cat 3 when it made landfall. Then came the aftermath.

These people treat it like a reality show. They say "oh, no, that's terrible" while sitting there hoping for more entertainment

sinkfla87

Who is everyone?

He probably means like the people (Governor included) saying everybody in the Florida keys would die if they stayed behind. With that said, not by any means was this over hyped. It's important for people to know the real dangers of these storms and fortunately a lot of people took precautions and/or evacuated. If it wasn't for the "over hype" things could be going FAR worse than now. This storm is not over and we won't know the total damage and number of casualties until it's all said and done. Plenty of people have already died especially down in the Caribbean islands, more deaths are being reported in South Florida, and some places are completely inhabitable. Calling this over hyped insinuates a lack of empathy for all the aforementioned victims.

Edit: Go watch some videos of Barbuda, Unbounded. Those people lost everything.

Do people understand that we don't know what the full force of a hurricane will be beforehand? It's called taking precautions, not overhyping. Miami in particular has been "wiped off the map" before, and two days ago we thought we were gonna get a direct hit.

Dre3001

South and Cetral Florida are getting pounded right now. But to answer your statement, there is a huge emphasis on hurricane preparedness all throughout south Florida. All buildings, structures, houses, all are built with preventing hurricane damage in mind so there is already a huge preparedness is place than most other states that may get hit by a hurricane.

Additionally tons of people were smart and evacuated early enough.

I've noticed it's easy for people to make these dumb statements when they're not in the danger zone of storms. People say it all the time when they're not inconvenienced by 3 feet of snow or go two weeks without power.

It makes me wonder how people would have reacted had this hit Mar Largo head on. People were already gloating about how Trump could loose his weekend home while simultaneously wishing harm on an entire coast of Florida.

witness

Well just raining right now in Orlando, no more power flashes thankfully. Ate dinner and just watching football. Not looking forward to tonight though once the winds show up. Just trying to enjoy having electricity for now.

Oriel

Who said that?! What advice and instructions that were given were entirely appropriate. The same bunch complaining of this being "overhyped" would be outraged if no preparations were made and there was another Katrina.

Well just raining right now in Orlando, no more power flashes thankfully. Ate dinner and just watching football. Not looking forward to tonight though once the winds show up.
Pretty much the same here in Clermont. Wind and rain are slowly picking up. No power flickers though.

Top Bottom