• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

Starfield

A storm of this size will consume everything and anything that stands in it's way.

Brace yourselves......twister is coming.

Linkura

Seems like the track keeps getting better and better for my folks in PSL. So that's good for them and me, but really shitty for the west coast, which honestly seems more vulnerable (Tampa in particular). Really worried we're going to see some mass casualties. :(

I drove my family from Tybee Island, Georgia yesterday to almost Memphis. It was an insane drive. It felt like the entire state of Florida was on the road, even the state roads were packed with cars fleeing the hurricane. And the hotel we ended up staying at had a huge search and rescue team with trained dogs on their way to FL. We also saw two convoys of national guard vehicles heading there.

I'm thankful that my family and I will be back home today. Millions of people can't say that :(

Tovarisc

fRav7gM.png

https://twitter.com/AP/status/906519608642994176

Irobot82

Seems like the track keeps getting better and better for my folks in PSL. So that's good for them and me, but really shitty for the west coast, which honestly seems more vulnerable (Tampa in particular). Really worried we're going to see some mass casualties. :(

My family is in PSL as well. They stayed behind. My mother-in-law and her husband also live in PSL but they left for Alabama. Now my boss and his Family is in Tampa and now it looks like it's worse for them. This one is scary.

Linkura

My family is in PSL as well. They stayed behind. My mother-in-law and her husband also live in PSL but they left for Alabama. Now my boss and his Family is in Tampa and now it looks like it's worse for them. This one is scary.

Yeah, my family stayed behind too. At first I was pissed, but I think they'll be fine. As I said previously, my cousin is an ER nurse, so she probably had to stay behind, and her husband is a construction/home inspector guy, so they have likely made sure that their house is properly constructed for this shit.

Publix actually had some flashlights in stock today, so I think I'm pretty set. I got a healthy supply of water and non perishables. I got my bread in the freezer so that, when my power goes out, they'll be relatively fresh.

Only thing left for me to do now is run some laundry today.

Irobot82

Yeah, my family stayed behind too. At first I was pissed, but I think they'll be fine. As I said previously, my cousin is an ER nurse, so she probably had to stay behind, and her husband is a construction/home inspector guy, so they have likely made sure that their house is properly constructed for this shit.

I lived there in 04-05. Went through Francis, Jean and Wilma. They changed the building codes after Andrew. Most houses in that area are CBS construction. I'm was also a Truss Designer in that area at the time. We designed them for either 135 or 145 mph winds. Most houses are built pretty dang tough there. I think for the most part anything built around 2000 and newer will stand up well against the storms.

Edit:

I will also note that a lot of houses I remember in the Tampa area (I've been around New Port Richer) are older. Most are still CBS with low pitch roofs. Like a 3/12 or 4/12, but I don't know what kind of uplift connections were used back then, nor do I know at what wind speed ratings were used. I am more worried for Tampa.

Experts have flat out told people that anyone left in the Keys will probably die. Even the most insane storm chasers in the country won't travel to Key West.

Really? Considering it has already hit areas where the buildings wouldn't be as well made as those in the US and with services less equipped and still the death toll is around 20 which is relatively small considering. Do you think they're just trying to scare people into leaving by saying "probably will die"

tbm24

Where I'm at rn im basically right outside of all the predicted cones...but it'd still be the east side of the storm.

lNbMZEr.jpg

For those asking for cams, heres a bunch all around florida:
http://basik.co/
Man that looks like it's gonna pass right over my brothers house in Tampa. He bought it two months ago too.....

Hoping my moms home in hillborough escapes any serious damage.

Linkura

I lived there in 04-05. Went through Francis, Jean and Wilma. They changed the building codes after Andrew. Most houses in that area are CBS construction. I'm was also a Truss Designer in that area at the time. We designed them for either 135 or 145 mph winds. Most houses are built pretty dang tough there. I think for the most part anything built around 2000 and newer will stand up well against the storms.

Edit:

I will also note that a lot of houses I remember in the Tampa area (I've been around New Port Richer) are older. Most are still CBS with low pitch roofs. Like a 3/12 or 4/12, but I don't know what kind of uplift connections were used back then, nor do I know at what wind speed ratings were used. I am more worried for Tampa.

Yeah, my folks, except for my great aunt who lives in a mobile home and ends up staying with one of her kids during hurricanes, live in newer construction (ok I think the mobile home is newish too but obviously mobile homes aren't built well), so they're likely good. I was super worried when the eye and eye wall were projected to be right on them, but the shift west has been extremely beneficial for them.

daveo42

Banned
My parents are heading to a shelter, but it seems like they are now outside the path of the storm in the Melbourne/Palm Bay area. I feel bad that the storm has slid West, but that has also put my parents out of the path of the eye.

Irobot82

Yeah, my folks, except for my great aunt who lives in a mobile home and ends up staying with one of her kids during hurricanes, live in newer construction (ok I think the mobile home is newish too but obviously mobile homes aren't built well), so they're likely good. I was super worried when the eye and eye wall were projected to be right on them, but the shift west has been extremely beneficial for them.

Yeah, mobile homes are never safe. I remember the big mobile home park on Hutchinson Island, after 04 is was destroyed and they never let them rebuild it. Just not a good idea in Florida.

Cuba has really knocked a lot of umph out of Irma. May become a Cat 2. It could ramp up again a bit before Florida but it remains to be seen.

sflufan

Banned
Really? Considering it has already hit areas where the buildings wouldn't be as well made as those in the US and with services less equipped and still the death toll is around 20 which is relatively small considering. Do you think they're just trying to scare people into leaving by saying "probably will die"

Yes, they are trying to scare people into leaving because the Keys are only 18 feet above sea level and the storm surge will effectively cover the islands in ocean water. In contrast, Barbuda is about 125 feet above sea level.

Yes because people will die:

The Florida Keys are all part of Monroe County, with the county seat being Key West. Windley Key holds the record of being the highest elevation in the Florida Keys - at 18 feet above sea level!

Florida Keys Facts

LordCanti

My grandparents decided to ride it out in Sarasota. We've been telling them that is a terrible idea but there's nothing we can do about it now. They haven't boarded up their windows or anything so they may be stuck in an interior bathroom or something to avoid injury from flying debris coming through windows. They aren't in the mandatory evacuation zone but they could probably throw a rock from where they are and hit it. It's going to be so close depending on what this thing ends up doing.

2MF

Yes, they are trying to scare people into leaving because the Keys are only 18 feet above sea level and the storm surge will effectively cover the islands in ocean water. In contrast, Barbuda is about 125 feet above sea level.

I also don't know what people in Barbuda did - the population is tiny there so they could all fit in a single shelter for all I know.

Even at the same altitude, it's very different to ride out the storm in a small house (as some people might intend) versus a proper shelter. This is why you have to scare people with strong words, so that they don't get any stupid ideas about riding it out.

I'm in Sarasota/Bradenton Zone D area. I got supplies and sandbags and I will be trying to get plywood tomorrow morning and then find a multi-leveled parking lot to park my car for the rest of the weekend. I'm just want that fucking bitch Irma to get here already to get this over with.

If I died I hope is quickly and painless.
I'm in that area too. I'm in Zone D as well. I don't think I've even seen a multi-leveled parking lot in the area ever.

Woke up from my nap to see this;

AT&T Free Msg: Hurricane Irma Efforts - As Hurricane Irma continues to make its way toward Florida we'd like to help out during this difficult time. You won't be charged for any talk, text, and data overages from 9/8-9/17. Go to att.com/hurricaneirma for more info.

AT&T to Offer Credits for Unlimited Data, Calls and Texts to Keep Florida Customers Impacted by Hurricane Irma Connected
9/8, 11:13 a.m. CT
As Hurricane Irma continues to make its way north we're automatically issuing credits and waiving additional fees to give unlimited data, talk and texts to AT&T wireless customers and unlimited talk and texts to AT&T PREPAID customers across all of Florida, beginning today and running through at least Sept. 17.* We are also extending payment dates for AT&T PREPAID customers with voice and text service through Sept. 17.
This is in addition to our previously announced offers for customers impacted by Hurricane Irma.
Impacted video and home internet customers can visit our support page for information or to report service outages.
*Location based on billing zip code for AT&T wireless customers and billing phone number for AT&T PREPAID customers. Credits will post in 2-3 billing cycles. Dates based on local time zones.

Parents are outside now helping their community board up still :)

brerwolfe

I have my windows boarded up on the first floor but my second floor is opened because I can't safely reach up there.

If you're concerned you could always board your second floor windows up from the inside.

It's crazy the amount of people on my FB that went to the west coast of FL to hide from the storm, and today they are all posting how they are rushing back to the east coast

It's hurricane Charlie all over again.

You're kidding. The hurricane misses us AGAIN? I remember the last barely missing us, too.

You're reading it wrong.

Also, this kind response just screams that people will not take the next big hurricane seriously because the models were wrong or slightly off track.

It's better to be over prepared and nothing happens than catching you with your pants down.

Top Bottom