• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

E-Cat

6cVbItl.png

Ponn

Banned
Houston put too many people on edge and caused hysteria. Officials having news conferences and declaring evacuations a week out didn't help. I'm not saying you shouldn't be prepared for hurricanes (especially places like the Keys) but the messaging is important in relation to how hurricanes actually work. It sucks but models and tracks just aren't consistent or 90% accurate till a few days before it hits. I really hope this doesn't sow apathy in the future.

Zackat

Houston put too many people on edge and caused hysteria. Officials having news conferences and declaring evacuations a week out didn't help. I'm not saying you shouldn't be prepared for hurricanes (especially places like the Keys) but the messaging is important in relation to how hurricanes actually work. It sucks but models and tracks just aren't consistent or 90% accurate till a few days before it hits. I really hope this doesn't sow apathy in the future.
People said the same thing after Matthew but still listened to this.

You can't wait for the final assessment if you have 5 million people to evacuate though.

2MF

Those of us in South Florida are EXTREMELY fortunate, this is something we should be thankful for. We'll still feel the storm due to its size anyways.

https://mobile.twitter.com/wxlada/status/906521987853451264

Cuba tore this thing up. It's going to regain strength tho.

Perception is a heck of a thing. The reality is Florida has a Cat >= 3 storm heading towards it.

The perception seems to be shifting towards "we dodged a bullet", with no real reason for it since it's very hard to predict hurricane intensity.

Irminsul

What's with all the optimism in this thread? Irma weakening is exactly what was predicted by the latest European model:

That shows wind gusts down to around 125 mph and still being a strong Cat 4 when it hits Florida.

Guys even at this track, the entire state is going to get hurricane strength winds and rain, we did not dodge a bullet still, there will be flooding, power outages, and destruction. It could have been worse yes, it still might, but Irma is massive, we are still gonna get hit. Lot of people are celebrating early and acting like it's not hitting us at all.

Steejee

So good for Florida (bad for Cuba) that it got knocked down to a 3 before making the jump over. Since the forecast before was it to be a 4 at this point, then strengthen to a 5, would it be possible for it to make it back to Cat 5 before it hits the keys?

E-Cat

What's with all the optimism in this thread? Irma weakening is exactly what was predicted by the latest European model:

That shows wind gusts down to around 125 mph and still being a strong Cat 4 when it hits Florida.
Curious: if it shows 125 mph for gusts, what about sustained winds?

I'm an idiot and can't read it.

KHarvey16

The storm completely dissipated or something? Did I miss some kind of miraculous change to the fact a gigantic storm with 130 mph winds is dragging a huge storm surge into highly populated low elevation coastal areas?

theBmZ

God damn the emergency alert notification was not a pleasant thing to wake up to. I live in Gainesville. Just got a Hurricane warning.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
To get your mind off this Central Florida GAF, the theme parks are pretty dead right now. Frozen is at a 5 minute wait

Quick update. We're expecting 10-12' surge, and perhaps a smaller surge on the tail of the storm. We're not evacuating off Marco Island. So now it's a waiting game. And the lightning alarm is going off so Im heading back inside

So good for Florida (bad for Cuba) that it got knocked down to a 3 before making the jump over. Since the forecast before was it to be a 4 at this point, then strengthen to a 5, would it be possible for it to make it back to Cat 5 before it hits the keys?

Irma is passing into gulf waters which are the warmest in the world (88F). This is exactly what it needs to restrengthen to a Cat 4 or 5. The bizarre optimism in this thread is misplaced.

Seems like people are starting to relax, and I'm not sure it's warranted.
I'm in zone c and watching bay news 9/CNN like a hawk. There's nothing else I can do and in New Port Richey it could still be deadly. Nothing is still for certain and it's so annoying.

I wonder of the mail is running today. Im looking for a copy of guitar hero 2 for ps2.

Hi fellow Seminole County-er. I'm hoping the same... but.... I'm not betting on it. Power will be lost I'm assuming. Boo!

Yeah, Im expecting the worst. Were gonna cook all the perishables today just in case

sflufan

Banned

This garbage just raised my blood pressure several points.

Arthos

To get your mind off this Central Florida GAF, the theme parks are pretty dead right now. Frozen is at a 5 minute wait

How long is the wait with a Fast Pass?

I just want this all to be over with. I'm hoping we are all okay. I will say that it's interesting being alive in a day and age where memes are a thing and are so popular. I honestly wasn't expecting to see all the memes I have seen in regards to the hurricane.

So what are you suggesting? That the government and the media ignore it until two days before, in case mass hysteria happens? Meteorologists are very clear when they say that things can change over time. They say it over and over again. This is a very unrealistic opinion.

Berordn

Hi fellow Seminole County-er. I'm hoping the same... but.... I'm not betting on it. Power will be lost I'm assuming. Boo!

Ever since Duke's acquisition I've lost all faith in the power grid.

I'm just making sure I've got all my batteries charged up first.

Trey

What is the right amount of alarm for a force of nature with the desctructive power of bombs possibly sweeping through an entire state? I would hope leadership and scientists cry bloody murder on even the off chance it made significant landfall.

Seminole county resident here!

Agree with almost certain power loss. Hopefully the cleanup wont be too bad. HOWEVER, we need to stay vigilant as any small shifts can change conditions immediately. Everyone should be alert until this thing is gone.

KHarvey16

Personally I prefer governmental policies that reduce the potential for unnecessary inconvenience at the cost of increasing the potential for death.

I think that makes sense.

Top Bottom