• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

You have to declutch them(ie put em in neutral). Just let them windmill without any resistance and thus any ability to produce power And in a large cat 4/5 hurricane, hope they dont get destroyed.

Same with large tower cranes. Just let em spin in the wind.

Are you sure about that? I'm almost certain that a turbine left to spin without resistance in high winds will tear themselves apart. What they actually do is turn the blades into the wind so they don't generate any lift, so that they don't spin at all.

I'm pretty sure the way to deal with storms is to apply the brakes and stop it.

And if you simply put the brakes on without changing blade angles the brakes will get burnt out.

FyreWulff

I'm in Tallahassee, and the family and I have to decide today whether to leave our home behind and head further north, to Atlanta. If it makes landfall further south and weakens a bit, we'll ride it out here. If it swings out into the gulf and strengthens, we need to get out.

I want to be safe, but I don't want to leave home. I already went through the process of breaking down my apartment in Orlando and deciding what to bring with me as I evacuate - doing the same thing again here two days later will break my heart. I don't want to lose my childhood home.

What do you think, GAF?

your lives > any possessions

seanoff

Not at this level. This isn't a bit of a blow.

Feather the blades for least resistance and let it spin and find the wind. Keeps as much torque off both the prop and the structure.

Really. Can you give a quick summary?
I think any time I have seen a hurricane look like Irma does now on satellite its days are numbered. It has no clear eye and its "flow" has been significantly disrupted. Hurricanes sometimes recover incredibly once over warm water again, but Irmas time may be limited to do that.

The problem continues to be projecting how fast it might regenerate and what exact path it takes with regard to Florida / the Cuban coast. The slow down in path coupled with the weakening gives a great ray of hope, but also complicates things. If people become complacent / decide to return, and then Irma takes enough time over open water and quickly becomes a category 5 again, the disaster could be even worse. But if she dies a miserable death without any discussion along these lines from mets / officials, the population once again loses trust in the science even if it doesnt deserve that fate.

Again, if Irma had not interacted with Cuba we would easily be looking at one of the greatest disasters in U.S. history. Now it is my opinion that it will be difficult to achieve that, though still not impossible depending on the land / water interaction mentioned above. Floridians should be in wait and hope mode that the CAT 4 / 5 cane that was bearing down on them does not materialize and is instead a CAT 2/3. It is still too soon to tell which is going to happen.

The almighty Euro still forecasts a very clear eyed hurricane to slam into Florida in the next day or two.

Chumly

I think any time I have seen a hurricane look like Irma does now on satellite its days are numbered. It has no clear eye and its "flow" has been significantly disrupted. Hurricanes sometimes recover incredibly once over warm water again, but Irmas time may be limited to do that.

The problem continues to be projecting how fast it might regenerate and what exact path it takes with regard to Florida / the Cuban coast. The slow down in path coupled with the weakening gives a great ray of hope, but also complicates things. If people become complacent / decide to return, and then Irma takes enough time over open water and quickly becomes a category 5 again, the disaster could be even worse. But if she dies a miserable death without any discussion along these lines from mets / officials, the population once again loses trust in the science even if it doesnt deserve that fate.

Again, if Irma had not interacted with Cuba we would easily be looking at one of the greatest disasters in U.S. history. Now it is my opinion that it will be difficult to achieve that, though still not impossible depending on the land / water interaction mentioned above. Floridians should be in wait and hope mode that the CAT 4 / 5 cane that was bearing down on them does not materialize and is instead a CAT 2/3. It is still too soon to tell which is going to happen.

The almighty Euro still forecasts a very clear eyed hurricane to slam into Florida in the next day or two.
I agree with this. Hopefully the top end would be a low end cat 4 at the absolute max. No matter what this would have been much worse if Cuba hadn't saved us

FyreWulff

They just let them blow un-engaged. They do this with tower cranes too, they just let them blow in the direction the wind is going if a storm or high winds are coming up.

if you tried to apply full stop brakes to them, the energy would go into the brakes/housing and ignite them. Let them spin, the energy 'work' is spent just spinning the blade around.

E-Cat

And you are... a meteorologist?

It's kind of fucked up I'm hoping for Irma to keep destroying Cuba so I don't get hit that hard in FL.

That's where I am too. People I will never meet getting pounder so I get off easier.

Weather Channel guy is saying he thinks it's likely the eye will stay just off the west coast of FL all the way up. Yikes.

The Stealth Fox

That's where I am too. People I will never meet getting pounder so I get off easier.

Weather Channel guy is saying he thinks it's likely the eye will stay just off the west coast of FL all the way up. Yikes.

Doesn't that mean most of FL gets tropical storm force stuff? However, it means the Panhandle is screwed big time

Anyone in miami/aventura/north miami area hankering for some cuban dishes, 3 palmas on biscayne is open. Lines of cops are a sight to see

The center is on land now of course it's weaker. It's going to pick up very soon

Doesn't that mean most of FL gets tropical storm force stuff? However, it means the Panhandle is screwed big time

It would be really horrific for Tampa area, I would think. And they have really upped the rain forecast for a lot of areas, including me. (I'm in Gainesville.) I don't even know what it would mean for that joint of the peninsula and the panhandle.

Are you sure about that? I'm almost certain that a turbine left to spin without resistance in high winds will tear themselves apart. What they actually do is turn the blades into the wind so they don't generate any lift, so that they don't spin at all.

And if you simply put the brakes on without changing blade angles the brakes will get burnt out.

That makes sense. I think you are trying to prevent the blades from more or less oscillating uncontrollably right?

The Stealth Fox

It would be really horrific for Tampa area, I would think. And they have really upped the rain forecast for a lot of areas, including me. (I'm in Gainesville.) I don't even know what it would mean for that joint of the peninsula and the panhandle.
I'm in Gainesville as well. My Brother is in Odessa...

my parents are in orlando and the new track has me nervous. there is no evacuation order or anything and they're more than 50 miles inland.

The winds there won't likely be bad enough to knock down houses will they?

again they're so evacuation order and we made it through Charlie back in 04 fine and I think that was category 2.

cntr

Banned
The predictions are still on restrengthening after leaving Cuba, so hope for the best, but still expect the worst.

FreezeSSC

How is East Orlando expected to fair? I keep seeing these westward projections and idk if that means were going to get the northeastern wall which is the worse side I've heard or if we're going to be spared by just missing it. I have my windows boarded up on the first floor but my second floor is opened because I can't safely reach up there.

How is East Orlando expected to fair? I keep seeing these westward projections and idk if that means were going to get the northeastern wall which is the worse side I've heard or if we're going to be spared by just missing it. I have my windows boarded up on the first floor but my second floor is opened because I can't safely reach up there.

Am close to you. You should be fine. As long as your house wasn't built decades ago.

It's crazy the amount of people on my FB that went to the west coast of FL to hide from the storm, and today they are all posting how they are rushing back to the east coast

seanoff

They just let them blow un-engaged. They do this with tower cranes too, they just let them blow in the direction the wind is going if a storm or high winds are coming up.

if you tried to apply full stop brakes to them, the energy would go into the brakes/housing and ignite them. Let them spin, the energy 'work' is spent just spinning the blade around.

Yep

Its the same as if you lose a prop on one side of an aircraft.

Feather the prop and de-clutch it. If you dont - the drag that one side with just pull the aircraft to certain oblivion.

my parents are in orlando and the new track has me nervous. there is no evacuation order or anything and they're more than 50 miles inland.

The winds there won't likely be bad enough to knock down houses will they?

again they're so evacuation order and we made it through Charlie back in 04 fine and I think that was category 2.

For Florida anything 3 level and should be OK. There will be damage but not catastrophic. Don't think Orlando will be flattered or anything.

Berordn

Missing the storm wall spares us from most of the danger. All of Orange county is elevated enough that flooding shouldn't be a concern.

I'm up in Seminole, and the track moving to the west more was a bit of a relief, though now I'm worried for Tampa.

cntr

Banned
Sign language interpreters are really impressive. ASL grammar is totally different from English grammar, so they're translating on the fly. They probably get a look at the speech and the language is relatively simple, so it's easier, but still.

(It's also kind of neat to figure out what some of the signs are, like "great" is two mirrored okay signs, and "dot" is a circle drawn with the index and thumb held together.)

And, huh, I didn't expect Spanish for some reason.

qcf x2

Oh shit, goodbye Naples, FL? :/

What's the point of posts like this?

Too early for this double edged sword stuff, especially politically. A good percentage of the "population" left because they are hurricane vets who have been through big nothings and small monsters, not purely because of hype and celebrity weatherman scenarios.

MXRider

Good luck everybody. Here's a little humor, but be safe.

f9MPpcv.jpg

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Going to cook the remaing meat in my fridge at midnight tonight. Slow cooking a Pork Butt, and stewing some beef.

Shit my grandparents life in Gulfport south of St. Petersburg.
They're in a B zone but literally less than a block away from A zone and less than a mile from the bay.

They still haven't left. I've been calling them off an on for the past few days but they just won't have it.

They have no concept of how bad this could actually get and how I'll prepared they really are. They've done nothing to prepare their house for this.

I just read pinellas issued mandatory evacuation for B zone but they're still saying they want to wait and see what happens in Cuba.

ITS GOING TO BE TOO FUCKING LATE IF YOU KEEP WAITING

Earendil

Far too much.

On the plus side, according to the NHC, there should be some wind shear from the west starting soon. That should limit her ability to reorganize fully. I'm on mobile, otherwise I'd post the data.

Edit: Found it...

There is an opportunity for Irma to re-intensity as it crosses the
warm waters of the Florida Straits. However, the large-scale
models forecast significant westerly shear developing at about
24 h, and it is unclear how much strengthening could occur before
then.
The first part of the intensity forecast thus calls for
little change in strength through 36 h, and Irma is still expected
to be a dangerous hurricane as it approaches the Florida Keys and
the west coast of Florida. After that time, movement over land and
strong shear should cause steady weakening, with Irma eventually
decaying to a remnant low by the end of the forecast period.

Top Bottom