• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
That scary weather alert tone just before 6 in the morning with DANGER LEVEL: EXTREME and everything was great fun. And then I went and looked at the update, and it was practically identical to the hurricane warning from midnight which also had the scary tone.

Neither applies to me for another 12+ hours basically, so I have to think that's going to contribute to people not taking weather alerts seriously if a tornado actually pops up. :|
Haha, all the phones in our house went off at the same time. Phones are loud as fuck when it's so early.

____

Question

Just watched a tiny segment on the storm (CNN), and they have a newscaster out in the storm in Cuba reporting.

Never understood that. Do they get boners or some shit from tempting fate just to “report” that the storm is bad? Do you have to have a correspondent out in the field for us to believe you that there’s flooding and extreme wind/rain?

Question

Just watched a tiny segment on the storm (CNN), and they have a newscaster out in the storm in Cuba reporting.

Never understood that. Do they get boners or some shit from tempting fate just to “report” that the storm is bad? Do you have to have a correspondent out in the field for us to believe you that there’s flooding and extreme wind/rain?

It's mainly for "Man on the ground has opinions" and stock footage of storm surge they'll use for decades to come

____

It's mainly for "Man on the ground has opinions" and stock footage of storm surge they'll use for decades to come

Gotcha. Makes sense. It just seemed odd to me this time and I KNOW I’ve seen every news outlet doing it for years but this one just stood out as attention-seeking. Like almost in a patronizing way.

My family finally decided to evacuate parish florida for jacksonville where my uncle lives. Hopefully they get there with minimal issues before stuff gets bad.

Gotcha. Makes sense. It just seemed odd to me this time and I KNOW I’ve seen every news outlet doing it for years but this one just stood out as attention-seeking. Like almost in a patronizing way.

There are two types of weathermen: Scientists and talking-heads with nice teeth.

Mindlog

Change in my plans. Going to wait it out in the hospital. Mom's was supposed to start chemo this week so this throws everything off. However, if nothing else maybe it inspires a move to an area with a top tier gastric cancer treatment center.

cntr

Banned
Change in my plans. Going to wait it out in the hospital. Mom's was supposed to start chemo this week so this throws everything off. However, if nothing else maybe it inspires a move to an area with a top tier gastric cancer treatment center.
Man, that's really rough, dude. :\

Hope everything turns out okay.

FyreWulff

Official emergency bulletins taking this sort of colloquial tone is a really recent thing isn't it? Hope it gets the job done; it definitely is chilling.

***THIS IS AS REAL AS IT GETS***
***NOWHERE IN THE FLORIDA KEYS WILL BE SAFE***
***TIME IS RUNNING OUT BUT YOU STILL HAVE TIME TO EVACUATE THIS MORNING***
http://www.weather.gov/key/

It is, because they've found it more effective instead of the old dry 'scientific' warnings.

If anyone here knows of a hotel in pinellas county with a vacancy tonight let me know. Dont trust my old house in a cat 4 and I dont want to spend the night with strangers in a shelter.

III-V

Curious, does Florida have wind power? How do the windmills hold up in a hurricane?

You do not let them run in high wind events. Florida does not have many of these, anyway. More solar, and really not enough alternative energy. We do have 3 nuclear plants, 2 of which are in possible storm path.

seanoff

Curious, does Florida have wind power? How do the windmills hold up in a hurricane?

You have to declutch them(ie put em in neutral). Just let them windmill without any resistance and thus any ability to produce power And in a large cat 4/5 hurricane, hope they dont get destroyed.

Same with large tower cranes. Just let em spin in the wind.

Thanks to Politics™, Florida doesn't have much wind or solar power.

Not accurate. The cost benefit ratio for wind in the state isn't worth it.

Solar is about to get a shot on the arm, namely from FPL who are putting up about 700MW of solar energy a year for the next 4 years. In the next 10 years solar is projected to be the 3rd or so biggest energy source in Florida.

cntr

Banned
Not accurate. The cost benefit ratio for wind in the state isn't worth it.

Solar is about to get a shot on the arm, namely from FPL who are putting up about 700MW of solar energy a year for the next 4 years. In the next 10 years solar is projected to be the 3rd or so biggest energy source in Florida.
Hm, okay.

Good to hear that about solar, hope the trend keeps up.

Fatalah

We're more about solar. "Sunshine State"

You do not let them run in high wind events. Florida does not have many of these, anyway. More solar, and really not enough alternative energy. We do have 3 nuclear plants, 2 of which are in possible storm path.

Thanks to Politics™, Florida doesn't have much wind or solar power.

You have to declutch them(ie put em in neutral). Just let them windmill without any resistance and thus any ability to produce power And in a large cat 4/5 hurricane, hope they dont get destroyed.

Thanks!

Cuba has done an immense amount and may save Florida from an incredible disaster that was in the making. That still remains to be seen. But the Cuba interaction has been nothing but good news.

KevinG

Cuba has done an immense amount and may save Florida from an incredible disaster that was in the making. That still remains to be seen. But the Cuba interaction has been nothing but good news.

This is good. Still scared shitless, but good for SWFL.

It's kind of fucked up I'm hoping for Irma to keep destroying Cuba so I don't get hit that hard in FL.

It's a terrible feeling to be wishing it on someone else, but it's such a regular occurrence with storms like this.

Piano

Banned
I'm in Tallahassee, and the family and I have to decide today whether to leave our home behind and head further north, to Atlanta. If it makes landfall further south and weakens a bit, we'll ride it out here. If it swings out into the gulf and strengthens, we need to get out.

I want to be safe, but I don't want to leave home. I already went through the process of breaking down my apartment in Orlando and deciding what to bring with me as I evacuate - doing the same thing again here two days later will break my heart. I don't want to lose my childhood home.

What do you think, GAF?

III-V

I'm in Tallahassee, and the family and I have to decide today whether to leave our home behind and head further north, to Atlanta. If it makes landfall further south and weakens a bit, we'll ride it out here. If it swings out into the gulf and strengthens, we need to get out.

What do you think, GAF?

Atlanta may see cat 1 conditions, so no, not a great idea.

2MF

I'm not a professional meteorologist (disclaimer blah blah), but this sounds too optimistic considering that Florida is still forecast to get hit by a hurricane anywhere between Categories 3 and 5.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
It's kind of fucked up I'm hoping for Irma to keep destroying Cuba so I don't get hit that hard in FL.
Yup, you hope you don't get fucked but that means someone else gets fucked.

Hopefully no one would get fucked but that's impossible.

pahamrick

I live just north of Bayou La Batre in Alabama, and every time an update comes with the storm continuing on a western track and not taking that hard northern turn that's been predicted, I get a little more nervous.

Ty4on

I'm pretty sure the way to deal with storms is to apply the brakes and stop it.

I want to be safe, but I don't want to leave home. I already went through the process of breaking down my apartment in Orlando and deciding what to bring with me as I evacuate - doing the same thing again here two days later will break my heart. I don't want to lose my childhood home.

What do you think, GAF?

Hi fellow Tallahassee gaf. I'm here too and doing the same plan, I don't want to deal with the possibility of a five myself so I'm waiting to leave if it shifts west by the 11pm track tonight. If so I suggest you be prepared and packed, get sleep now and wake up then to dip out at 1am like me. I assume i10 should be pretty empty by then.

The downside for me is my safe space is Alabama and that's gonna get hit too and so no I'm pissed because getting another hotel is literally financially impossible.

Top Bottom