• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

Gonna be going to my parents house in lithia/riverview. Packed up all of my video game collection and everything of value and sentimental value to me to bring with me. Stay safe everyone.

It wasn't though, I just told you our local news was telling people to evacuate on Tuesday, in JAX. Again, I'm talking about the messaging.

I think the problem there is your local news. Did local officials in your area begin to tell everyone the same thing to leave? I was keeping an eye on Miami and just like every time this occurs everyone was waiting for local officials to indicate how to proceed. Same here in Orlando.

Perhaps there is a better way to regulate information but just like all news you have to watch multiple lines of communication and listen to the official announcements and how your local governments are proceeding.

However, better safe than sorry. I would much rather be told to leave and come back where nothing occurred. I don't like gambling my family's life. If 'enough' forms of communication are telling me its time to go i would heed that warning ( not just one local news station).

The current capability of forecasting does not allow for the precision you seek.

Perhaps this as well.

Ponn

Banned
If they said "no one evacuate unless we tell you to" and then they told the city of Jacksonville they had to go today, what do you imagine would happen?

They wouldn't be telling everyone to evacuate because of the current track. But in a scenario where they would and everyone was following the same procedures then those in the south Florida would already have been evacuated a couple days ago and JAX would get the notice yesterday with the hurricane on track to hit us late tomorrow, early Monday.

Gamerman1

Man, if Irma destroys the apartment I just moved into in Tampa I'm punching her right in her stupid eye.

Same for me with my 4 month old house purchase in New Port Richey(Irma will be over this area if it hits Tampa too)Plus I have to worry about the wetlands to the side and back of my house which are only 15 feet away and about 3-4 feet lower in elevation.

III-V

well it depends on where you're going. you're not getting out of the state based on traffic if you leave at 8am tomorrow. and you're going to be out on the road in sustained tropical storm force winds

Again, INCORRECT. Based on traffic, right now, its a 4 hour drive to Georgia.

The Earliest reasonable arrival of those storm conditions is AFTER 8 am tomorrow morning for Tampa.

Please, people do the very most basic 3 second google search before spouting off fake news.

Linkura

My friend and her son's flight out of Orlando was originally due to leave at 11:30 and has been delayed till at least 2 because the plane has yet to even leave from its origin (ironically, Houston). They're waiting on pins and needles. Jesus.

Edit: She does have a hotel booked back at Disney World just in case they can't get out before the airport closes. So they'll be fine either way, but it sure will suck compared to just gtfoing.

Wife and I are going to leave for East Orlando and stay with my mom. She lives 40 miles from the east coast. Seems to be the lesser to two evils in regards to the wind.

KHarvey16

They wouldn't be telling everyone to evacuate because of the current track. But in a scenario where they would and everyone was following the same procedures then those in the south Florida would already have been evacuated a couple days ago and JAX would get the notice yesterday with the hurricane on track to hit us late tomorrow, early Monday.

And that would have gone smoothly you think? No Issues? Folks boarding up and packing, folks coming in from out of town to help their relatives or friends, folks rushing to get things done they didn't know they'd have to do. All of that in a day and no massive problems?

Lkr

Again, INCORRECT. Based on traffic, right now, its a 4 hour drive to Georgia.

The Earliest reasonable arrival of those storm conditions is AFTER 8 am tomorrow morning for Tampa.

Please, people do the very most basic 3 second google search before spouting off fake news.

so did they finally clean up 75? either way, don't wait to get out. you never know what will happen on these roads

III-V

If you do leave make sure to note shelters along your path.

Preparation starts now, and hopeful you have already marked out shelter locations. I have my own plan A, B and C.

Thats the whole idea - be prepared don't be a bozo. Understand what is happening around you.

Velcro Fly

My dad got in contact with his friends from Naples. They took their truck and their camper and made the 18 hour trek to somewhere south of Atlanta. Thank goodness.

Tampa GAF, or anyone on this side... I've had two family members leave going up HWY 19 the last two days. Both made it up with minimal traffic. If you're thinking about leaving, check the route to see if it's still decent. There is still time to go. They've gone to places such as Tallahassee and beyond.

30 minutes ago Seminole County issued a mandatory evacuation for folks in mobile or manufactured homes. I work in a module in Orange County. Good times.

thespot84

Tampa GAF, or anyone on this side... I've had two family members leave going up HWY 19 the last two days. Both made it up with minimal traffic. If you're thinking about leaving, check the route to see if it's still decent. There is still time to go. They've gone to places such as Tallahassee and beyond.

GFs parents left Tampa for the east coast this morning and said the road was clear.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
I'm in the north Tampa/Lutz area and we're riding out, despite my wishes. I had told my family to get out Friday morning if it looked like the worst was coming, but they didn't. I've been in DC all week working and finally flew home last night after I had one flight cancelled.

We're well stocked up on food and boarded up the windows. I'm worried for my mom who lives in Carrollwood as her house is likely going to flood.

2MF

So this thing turned out to be a major fizzle eh? Ah well, better safe than sorry.

Look: This thing is at the moment more powerful than many past destructive hurricanes, AND it still has time to strengthen further before it gets to the heavily populated areas.

Does that sound like a major fizzle to you?

13thStep

So this thing turned out to be a major fizzle eh? Ah well, better safe than sorry.

tenor.gif

Top Bottom