• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

hifloat5_None_anim.gif

Intensification has already begun.

Tonky

So the turn being earlier than expected means a higher likelihood of the Carolinas and east coast being affected?

dark_chris

My brother and I are livid.

His ex-wife and his son are in the area affected by the hurricane. My brother, mom and dad tried to convince her to leave the area cause she will get hit. She refuses, saying she is confident in her home being able to withstand the hurricane and their son will stay.

Is there even anyway she can get told by someone to get out? Its entirely reckless to risk her life and my nephew like that.

I'd say Cat 2-3 is definitely a fizzle from the behemoth of a 5 some of us were looking to face in South Florida. Some of us had our lives setback by having to prepare for the storm or run away. Now imagine it's been for nothing, that stings and that's not even dishonest.

You know, I wonder if anyone's ever studied the loss off economic output due to premature/unnecessary evacuations vs the actual cost of damage caused by wind and rain across all my major storms to make landfall in the US. I'd bet it's pretty close if not the former being greater.

Also y'all Gaf metrologists get way too easily riled up, I seriously doubt anyone is using your opinions to decide how to act.

Damage costs by each hurricane that made landfall:

https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/damage.asp

No way any city loses anywhere near that amount economically because of evacuations. If anything, cities gain economically because everyone is buying gas and supplies, food, wood, hotels, etc....

You aren't a very good GAF econonomist either

PBY

Banned
I'd say Cat 2-3 is definitely a fizzle from the behemoth of a 5 some of us were looking to face. Some of us had our lives setback by having to prepare for the storm or run away. Now imagine it's been for nothing, that stings and that's not even dishonest.
What the fuck man

sflufan

Banned

His ex-wife and his son are in the area affected by the hurricane. My brother, mom and dad tried to convince her to leave the area cause she will get hit. She refuses, saying she is confident in her home being able to withstand the hurricane and their son will stay.

Is there even anyway she can get told by someone to get out? Its entirely reckless to risk her life and my nephew like that.

Unless they are in a mandatory evacuation zone, I'm not sure that there is anything that can be done by contacting the authorities.

Tonky

I'd say Cat 2-3 is definitely a fizzle from the behemoth of a 5 some of us were looking to face in South Florida. Some of us had our lives setback by having to prepare for the storm or run away. Now imagine it's been for nothing, that stings and that's not even dishonest.
That should come as a relief, not a sting. Always better safe than sorry.

geomon

If she's in a flood prone area, send her a video what a storm surge can do.

DJ88

Where are they exactly?

It would be terrible if keeps going northwest and hit Houston.

I would be terrible if it did a lot of things. But so far no track is even showing a remote possibility of that happening.

Kusagari

It stings that now you don't have to worry about losing your house and all your personal belongings?

Lkr

Just drove through my neighborhood and the majority of people didn't board up. I'm not surprised by this whatsoever.

The line at wawa is insane and no one is at the racetrack across the street, I'm assuming they ran out of gas? Lol

Same for me with my 4 month old house purchase in New Port Richey(Irma will be over this area if it hits Tampa too)Plus I have to worry about the wetlands to the side and back of my house which are only 15 feet away and about 3-4 feet lower in elevation.

Yeah, NPR is a flood magnet. Used to live in Spring Hill and would drive through there to Tampa

III-V

His ex-wife and his son are in the area affected by the hurricane.
"affected by the hurricane" ? - thats nearly the entire state of Florida.

Are they in Marco Island or just inland? That region is 9 feet or less above sea level and they are predicting 10-15 feet of storm surge. - Thats a death sentence, as their entire home will be engulfed 100%.

The level of danger is extraordinarily regional.

Your short sightedness is painful.

TheRed

Come back after the cat 2-3 does real damage to your house. You should be happy, not mad it's not a cat 5 where your life would be more in danger but at least you spent your money on the biggest storm.

weekev

Banned
I mean the reason it's not a cat 5 is cos it went slightly too close to Cuba. That's lucky as fuck, otherwise it would have been an absolute monster. As it is there is still a fairly considerable hurricane coming your way. The right thing was to prepare for the storm or run away all the while praying it goes a bit close to Cuba and the mountains help weaken it somewhat.

It shouldn't sting, you should be thanking your lucky stars.

Gamerman1

It sucks Irma slowed its movement speed down. Means more time exposed to high winds and rain. Not to mention more time over open water to gather strength. Hopefully it increases speed so it can get through the state faster rather than slower.

KoopaTheCasual

Don't worry dude, the storm is already intensifying again and will likely go back to category 4! Now you won't have to worry about that "sting"!.... -__-

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Better safe than sorry man. You either are inconvenienced and pleasantly surprised or unprepared and facing more damage if not dead. Count it as a blessing not a stinger

Ristifer

If my post is bad get ready to hear more of it from others who are getting missed by it. I know I'm hearing it from co-workers.
Yeah. Can't believe it won't be a Cat. 5 when hitting Florida. I mean, look at Barbuda. I know they're fairly happy that it hit them at full strength. Saved them a lot of aggravation.

/s

cntr

Banned
and now we get several hours of this thread jerking off over the intensification
What? Do you think we're getting off on all this stress? Would you really prefer being underprepared than overprepared? Posts like yours are completely unnecessary when serious information needs to be conveyed.

If you don't like the thread, go somewhere else. You're being a complete cock about this.

For live coverage from local media outlets in Irma's path, here are the links to livestreams from broadcast outlets, as well as local newspapers or other news outlets:

If my post is bad get ready to hear more of it from others who are getting missed by it. I know I'm hearing it from co-workers.

"Yeah! If I'm going to take the time to pack up all my stuff and evacuate, my house better have been demolished by the time I return home or it was all just wasted effort!"

Seriously, wtf is with that kind of thinking. Don't play with mother nature or she'll shit all over you some day.

Top Bottom