• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Some places like Fox are saying it's been downgraded to s Cat 3
Yes, but it's about to go over extremely warm water and the eye wall is already restrengthening.

The local Fox 13 station here in Tampa has radar strong enough to see the eye now, and they are tracking it's movement in real time. It's heading into extremely warm water and will get strong again very quickly

Cat 3 is true, but they also forecasting it to return to a 4 and potentially a 5 before catastrophic Florida landfall.

if it follows the current path and brushes along the west coast, how quickly will it start to lose power once it first makes contact with florida?

please no overhyping

if it follows the current path and brushes along the west coast, how quickly will it start to lose power once it first makes contact with florida?

please no overhyping

Hard to say and really it's not gonna weaken a ton if it goes much more west since its gonna still be over warm water, and FL has the problem of being very flat. Need higher elevations to help weaken the storm quick

So this thing turned out to be a major fizzle eh? Ah well, better safe than sorry.

at201711_sat.jpg

Does this look like a fizzle?

III-V

please no overhyping

I imagine it would do just like it did in Cuba if it skirts the west coast. Winds dropped 30 mph from peak over maybe 12-15 hours

EDIT: we advisories every 3 hours, next one at 2 pm.

Steejee

So this thing turned out to be a major fizzle eh? Ah well, better safe than sorry.

A Cat3 is not a 'fizzle', that's still a major hurricane. Cat3 means 'Severe damage to most homes' - it may not mean they'll be blown down, but you'll have lots of damage all over. Since it's expected to strengthen again, it could get to 4 for sure ('catastrophic effects'), and possibly even a 5.

Cat3 = Lower half of F2 tornado speeds, plus all the other stuff that comes with a Hurricane
Cat4 = Upper half of F2 tornado speeds
Cat5 = F3+ speeds

So even as a Cat3 this thing would be a state wide 'weak' F2 tornado, plus storm surges, spawned tornadoes, lightning, etc.

Vixdean

You know, I wonder if anyone's ever studied the loss off economic output due to premature/unnecessary evacuations vs the actual cost of damage caused by wind and rain across all my major storms to make landfall in the US. I'd bet it's pretty close if not the former being greater.

Also y'all Gaf metrologists get way too easily riled up, I seriously doubt anyone is using your opinions to decide how to act.

Trey

You know, I wonder if anyone's ever studied the loss off economic output due to premature/unnecessary evacuations vs the actual cost damage caused by wind and rain across all my major storms to make landfall in the US. I'd bet it's pretty close if not the former being greater.

If you could come up with some sort of methodology that could produce data that would be anywhere close to useful, I would be impressed.

It's not like calculating insurance.

Ebris

You know, I wonder if anyone's ever studied the loss off economic output due to premature/unnecessary evacuations vs the actual cost of damage caused by wind and rain across all my major storms to make landfall in the US. I'd bet it's pretty close if not the former being greater.

Also y'all Gaf metrologists get way too easily riled up, I seriously doubt anyone is using your opinions to decide how to act.
Double down is always the best look.

ugh, one dumbass troll says something stupid and now everyone is just going to double down on their "scare the shit out of everyone as much as possible" stuff

yeah, it's a bad fucking storm that's going to do bad fucking things. some of us just want updates without everyone reminding us how fucking scary this is going to be. you think you're doing a service by scaring people into being safe, but that's not what's happening in this thread.

Steejee

If you could come up with some sort of methodology that could produce data that would be anywhere close to useful, I would be impressed.

It's not like calculating insurance.

There's studies on evacuation costs (first result in 'cost of evacuations' was a study from Rice), but what's 'premature' is a matter of interpretation. Plus how do you assign a value to human lives? Part of the math for Harvey's lack of evacuations was that they didn't have as much of a head start as we have with Irma, and Houston's experience with Rita's deaths.

Number_6

We got a badass over here, watch out.

Seriously though, you're talking hotel fares and gas money vs destruction of homes, property, infrastructure...

Try and make your brain work better before you post.

ugh, one dumbass troll says something stupid and now everyone is just going to double down on their "scare the shit out of everyone as much as possible" stuff

yeah, it's a bad fucking storm that's going to do bad fucking things. some of us just want updates without everyone reminding us how fucking scary this is going to be. you think you're doing a service by scaring people into being safe, but that's not what's happening in this thread.

Then just check in every hour at the top of the hour because that's when the NWS will be putting out updated advisories. And follow your local news to hear stuff such as potential curfews and/or tornado watches/warnings.

Nictel

Models and science: it will go down to 4 then down to 3 due to interaction with land and go back up to 4 before hitting Florida

The news can be way more reactionary:
It's a category 5: we're all going to die!
It's now a cat 4: Still scary but not that scary
Down to cat 3: we can all relax
Back to cat 4: PANIC NOW

Ristifer

There's no such thing as an "unnecessary evacuation" when the whole state could be covered by this thing.

Not sure what your angle is here.

Trey

There's studies on evacuation costs (first result in 'cost of evacuations' was a study from Rice), but what's 'premature' is a matter of interpretation. Plus how do you assign a value to human lives? Part of the math for Harvey's lack of evacuations was that they didn't have as much of a head start as we have with Irma, and Houston's experience with Rita's deaths.

That is my point. You can have objective data that doesn't really mean much logically given that it's after the fact, and does not meaningfully diagnose whether the action taken was "premature" or not. And its use going forward will be biased and limited because of the inherent chaotic nature of natural disasters.

Luckily nobody is using your opinions to decide how to act.

Ponn

Banned
And that would have gone smoothly you think? No Issues? Folks boarding up and packing, folks coming in from out of town to help their relatives or friends, folks rushing to get things done they didn't know they'd have to do. All of that in a day and no massive problems?

Why do you feel it necessary to tie evacuation with preparing? I can't answer an argument I'm not trying to make.

XShagrath

Seminole county (Central Florida) here. I just got back into town today. I left for Atlanta on Wednesday for a music festival and my wife and cats were still here. I had to come back early to be with them.

Our original Sunday evening flight got cancelled and we kept making it earlier and earlier until we finally got a good flight out of Atlanta at 9:15 this morning. I'm not super worried about things this far inland. Hoping we can keep power, as we're on the same grid as the fire station.

Keep safe, FloridaGAF.

Living in West Palm GAF, here...

it's crazy we have an 8am 3pm curfew and there's almost like NO rain, or serious conditions, all day today, lol.

At least I'm glad we arent getting a direct hit, but we are going to be on the upper right side of the storm which is supposed to be the strongest quadrant... Here's hoping it doesn't strengthen too bad after Cuba and we don't lose power for too long when it comes over us tomorrow.

Bisonian

Seminole county (Central Florida) here. I just got back into town today. I left for Atlanta on Wednesday for a music festival and my wife and cats were still here. I had to come back early to be with them.

Our original Sunday evening flight got cancelled and we kept making it earlier and earlier until we finally got a good flight out of Atlanta at 9:15 this morning. I'm not super worried about things this far inland. Hoping we can keep power, as we're on the same grid as the fire station.

Keep safe, FloridaGAF.

Be safe, friendo. See you at the school on the other side.

Top Bottom