• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

Kusagari

Yes this happens every time here in Florida. Crazy. Matthew last year that missed us in Central Fl oh man.

Matthew was worse because you had peeps in here from inland Jacksonville bragging they could tank anything after experiencing Matthew when the storm didn't even make landfall.

E-Cat

I'd say Cat 2-3 is definitely a fizzle from the behemoth of a 5 some of us were looking to face in South Florida. Some of us had our lives setback by having to prepare for the storm or run away. Now imagine it's been for nothing, that stings and that's not even dishonest.
So, if it restrengthens into a Cat-4 or 5 over the warm waters up ahead, you'll be... happy?

I'd say Cat 2-3 is definitely a fizzle from the behemoth of a 5 some of us were looking to face in South Florida. Some of us had our lives setback by having to prepare for the storm or run away. Now imagine it's been for nothing, that stings and that's not even dishonest.

This is why people die folks, this attitude right here.

Jesus are people disappointed they didn't get hit ???

I don't understand some of y'all weirdo Floridans down there

"Yeah! If I'm going to take the time to pack up all my stuff and evacuate, my house better have been demolished by the time I return home or it was all just wasted effort!"

Seriously, wtf is with that kind of thinking. Don't play with mother nature or she'll shit all over you some day.
Yup it happens all the time during hurricanes.

It's like the hurricane should repay for their emotional distress by actually destroying their homes in the process.

JackDT

The devil is in a bad mood and appears next to you. He says he'll flip a coin tomorrow and if it's heads, a 747 will crash into your house in the middle of the night. If it's tail, nothing happens.

You leave the house. He flips tails. Does that 'sting'?

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
I know all eyes are on Irma, but it looks like Jose might be doing what some of the models were suggesting a few days ago and looping back around. Terrifying shit if that comes to fruition, but obviously we have to deal in the here and now until Irma is gone.

We've shuttered all our windows and are about as ready as we can be here in Orlando. Good luck and stay safe, Florida-GAF.

Linkura

Apparently not.

Cue late this evening or tomorrow morning (EDT) when everyone is shocked Irma is a (strong) Cat 4 again.

nintendo-back-from-the-grave-iwata-coffin-shocked-13884007960.gif

"I didn't wait hours in line for gas for nothing"

You think you will care about anything you did prior to the hurricane when your roof gets torn off and you spend months without a place to stay?

cntr

Banned
https://twitter.com/diabaticpv/status/906572600255631360

Uhhh...#Irma's satellite presentation just went from ragged to impressive in no time. Not sure this bodes well for trip thru FL Straits...

https://twitter.com/iCyclone/status/906561995129880576

12:55 pm. I'm impressed with #IRMA's core as it comes off Cuba. It's totally intact—meaning it has potential to bounce back fast in Gulf.

And:

https://twitter.com/NWSMiami/status/906571037474684928

130p 9/9 Rumor Control: #LakeOkeechobee has not reached a dangerous level at this time. We are closely monitoring levels with @JaxStrong.

Chasco elementary/middle, river ridge middle/high school nobody answering their phone. Apparently they're full. Doesn't the cap lift when the hurricane closes in or am I half asleep? Could've sworn they said that.

I mean, if you live along the south coast, this shouldn't even be a real hindrance to people. It's a reality of living in the area. It's like complaining about buying snow tires in Minnesota and then having a mild winter. This shit happens. Prepare for the worst, be grateful when the best happens. Always have a plan.

Even then, this hurricane isn't even over yet. Don't jump the gun and be stupid.

sinkfla87

Seriously, I've been worried as fuck down in Miami, I've done nothing but hope it misses us or gets weakened. I've spent the last couple days preparing and I don't regret a second of it.

Damn, be safe and I hope everything ends up okay for you. :( I'm scared up here in the panhandle in case this thing goes batshit crazy and hits here, but I can't imagine what it must be like down there right now. Hell even the winds here are picking up a little and we're pretty far up Northwest. Good luck man.

Media

I'm pretty sure the way to deal with storms is to apply the brakes and stop it.

Are you sure about that? I'm almost certain that a turbine left to spin without resistance in high winds will tear themselves apart. What they actually do is turn the blades into the wind so they don't generate any lift, so that they don't spin at all.

And if you simply put the brakes on without changing blade angles the brakes will get burnt out.

Late, but my family has been in wind for 15 years, and yes, letting them spin would blow the tower apart. Even 60rpm is potentially dangerous to the turbine and anything around it. Can't imagine what hurricane force winds will do. The blades have to be pitched out of the wind so they don't spin.

I imagine of there are any towers in the path they will come down anyway, since comms will be down most likely as well so constant pitching will be impossible.

witness

Well I just met the messenger of death in my neighborhood. This is on the boarder of Orange and Seminole where Altamonte, Maitland, and Orlando all meet. I was in my garage when this older guy who was walking his dogs stopped to talk to me. He said he expects 120mph winds in the neighborhood and that all the houses are flattened with just a couple of walls left standing. I said that doesn't sound right and that my house, and practically every house on the street, was all brick and cinder block with a newer roofs. That also made me question why the fuck hasn't he left. He said he has somewhere to go if he needs to....uhuh. Also lovingly added that we won't have power for two weeks. Think I need to wash down that experience with a buffalo chicken tender sub from Publix.

sflufan

Banned
1400 EDT Advisory from NHC:

SUMMARY OF 200 PM EDT...1800 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...23.1N 80.2W
ABOUT 65 MI...100 KM E OF VARADERO CUBA
ABOUT 145 MI...235 KM SE OF KEY WEST FLORIDA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...125 MPH...205 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...W OR 280 DEGREES AT 9 MPH...15 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...941 MB...27.79 INCHES

Still proceeding more or less due west.

sflufan

Banned
On a camera stream,I just saw some guy ride up to the "Southernmost Point in the United States" marker in Key West on his bike and take a picture as waves were crashing over it.

t hicks

Banned
Well I just met the messenger of death in my neighborhood. This is on the boarder of Orange and Seminole where Altamonte, Maitland, and Orlando all meet. I was in my garage when this older guy who was walking his dogs stopped to talk to me. He said he expects 120mph winds in the neighborhood and that all the houses are flattened with just a couple of walls left standing. I said that doesn't sound right and that my house, and practically every house on the street, was all brick and cinder block with a newer roofs. That also made me question why the fuck hasn't he left. He said he has somewhere to go if he needs to....uhuh. Also lovingly added that we won't have power for two weeks. Think I need to wash down that experience with a buffalo chicken tender sub from Publix.

lol i live near the same spot, dude needs to chill the fuck out
we'll be good

Epic haha I want a sub now :(

Steejee

Yeah, must be. For me it was already showing 2 PM, which is why I linked it in the first place.

Which is a bit strange given the URL - looking direct at the image URL I'd think each image was posted to a unique URL so you wouldn't have caching. Guess not /shrug

Having gone to Key West two years ago, I'm thinking about all the historic stuff at risk. Southern White House and Hemingway House don't seem like they'd be very well hardened against a storm this strong. The old Fort ruins (like the ones with the garden inside, forget the name) seem like they'd do okay, though the gardens themselves might not be.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member

I want to say he's an idiot. With us current path we will get windy and rainy, maybe even some damage, but nothing like what this guy was telling you.

Enjoy that sub, my dude.

Top Bottom