• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor - Saturday August 26th |OT| FOOK / YEAAAH

Im just glad the usual fucking idiots and Floyd haters can't accuse him of "running away" the whole fight. He walked his man down repeatedly.

He was in the ring with someone with the boxing skill level of your average amateur and still took zero chances until he was sure his opponent was exhausted. I don't think Floyd deserves any credit for walking Conor down.

Now get Floyd in the octagon

Yeah. That was never in the cards. See: James Toney vs. Randy Couture. You've now seen every MMA fight involving a pure boxer.

Why? I don't get why anybody would say that? Floyd has not once said he could do MMA. He knows he can't. Connor ran his mouth about being a great boxer and could beat Mayweather. He got killed. He got paid. But he's no boxer.
Right, Connor got exactly the match HE asked for. Who the hell cares if Floyd would lose in the octagon, Money never ran his mouth like he would conquer that sport.

commedieu

Banned
I mean, you're talking about one of the greatest boxers of all time. No matter how much work Connor put into his conditioning there's no way he can match Floyd's 20+ year career... Even at 40.

It all seems so obvious now. Lol.

I dunno, it just seemed conor would have been able to tag him. But that's what 49 professional boxers also said...

The gloves made a difference, conor had little power. And he literally played right into gassing himself out. That is what was so surprising.

If I trained conor, it would be to be slightly aggressive and reactive, because Floyd is going to try to gas you out. Like everyone in the world is saying. So if he does, just technically win with a few jabs per round. Let the crowd boo. And keep it up. React to floyds energy. Showboat a little..

But no, he just hit the NOS button. And died like literally everyone said he would. I just thought they'd have prepared him for that.

He was in the ring with someone with the boxing skill level of your average amateur and still took zero chances until he was sure his opponent was exhausted. I don't think Floyd deserves any credit for walking Conor down.
Sounds like you're blaming Floyd for exploiting the weaknesses of his loudmouth opponent.

Tall4Life

I thought it was Rousey in an MMA match.

Nah
ronda-rousey-ring-magazine.jpg

For sure, to hear people say "McGregor did well" makes me chuckle a little. Floyd gave him those rounds he won for that 10th round TKO. McGregor was gassed and done way before then.

Now I wish the ref would have let him taste the mat.

I think the official scorecard gave McGregor 1 round, which I believe it was the first. McGregor did as well as most people who know anything about martial arts expected.

EDIT:

This is exactly what I saw:

Watching the fight now, reluctantly since it's going to suck. Quick play by play.

R1: PBF looks like he's warming up in a light sparring session that Conor should be wearing headgear for. A few jabs connected by Conor, not much offense from PBF but he doesn't give a shit. Conor tries to half-heartedly go RJJ 90 seconds into the first round but doesn't actually commit, looks weak. 10-9 Conor, no damage.

R2: PBF still feeling him out. Conor keeps throwing illegal strikes to the back of the head and not a whole lot else. 10-9 PBF. In between rounds PBF refuses to sip any water and looks like his heart rate is at about 40 bpm. I think his corner might have loaded up some Netflix for him off-screen since they haven't given him any verbal feedback and he looks like he could be on a sofa right now. Conor is breathing heavily and has giant icepacks being held against his body while his corner rapid-fires advice.

R3: More illegal strikes. I don't know if Conor is actually hitting anything other than the back of PBF's head at this point. On his way to losing a point. Conor has zero footwork other than his telegraphed, stiff stance shuffles to orthodox for a single punch. Conor's couple real jabs from the first round are nowhere to be seen and he's just pawing his jab at the edge of his reach over and over now, accomplishing nothing. Floyd's still watching Death Note on his corner's iPad while warming up a bit more. 10-9 PBF. Conor's breathing very heavily in the corner now.

R4: Conor opens up with a flurry that hits nothing except PBF's defenses...and his cup. Jesus Christ, dude. More illegal shit with this pseudo-guillotine clinching a few consecutive times. Now Conor tries some legal boxing finally and immediately gets tagged. Again. Again. Conor's slowing down. Tagged again. PBF flies past Conor's overextended arm and tags him in the nose. Conor looks hurt already and is moving like he's underwater. Takes his back...not MMA, dude. Chin up and extended forward comically...tagged. Floyd's blocked or slipped just about everything this round while landing at-will. PBF nails a counter and then Conor reaches all the way around to tap him on the back of the head, for reasons. 10-9 PBF, starting to get to 10-8 territory. Conor's arms are hanging limp at his waist and he looks completely gassed after the bell.

R5: Floyd's now just walking forward and largely disregarding Conor's offense as if he's being given a therapeutic massage by Conor's gloves. Chasing him across the ring now. Lots of clinching. PBF parries some of Conor's punches mid-air. Couple clean shots, not a whole lot going on. 10-9 PBF. Conor's sucking air hard. Floyd looks warmed up.

R6: Oh my fucking god stop hitting him in the back of the head, Conor. Full combination to the back of the head. I'm deducting a point here. Ref steps in but nothing from him. Two hard shots to Conor's chin. Then to the body. Then to the nose. Crunch. Crunch. Haymaker cracks the side of Conor's head. And again. Conor looks scared. PBF is locked in on his face now and getting into a rhythm. Every jab is going through Conor's raised guard and PBF is parrying the return punches. Conor scores with a combination but with zero force behind it, pitter patter. Floyd's smiling. Conor smiles back and looks gassed as shit and drops the smile to fend for his life. PBF slips, slips, Conor visibly struggles with the energy expended whiffing his punches as the round ends. 10-8 PBF with a point for Conor's repeated intentional illegal punches to the back of the head as far as I'm concerned. This is gonna get ugly shortly. Conor's eye is swelling up...make that both eyes.

R7: Floyd Mayweather Jr. hits like a fucking freight train compared to his opponent, I believe the first time those words have ever formed in that order in my brain in 32 years. Conor's brain meanwhile appears to be turning off the rest of the way and he's going for double underhooks and elbows and trying to take Floyd's back. Get the ambulance ready. Five consecutive clean hits to Conor's face and body. Make that seven. This is bag work now. Conor gets double underhooks again. I don't think he knows he's in a boxing match anymore. Floyd rattles his brain a few more times and Conor takes his back, again, desperately, and flops against the ropes after the ref separates them. PBF looks mildly annoyed that his bag work got interrupted. 10-9 Mayweather.

R8: Conor McGregor gets punched in the face while gassed horribly. 10-9 PBF. Floyd figures out his afterparty plans.

R9: Conor opens with a flurry, clinches, clinches again, ref pulls him aside to give him a stern talking to and Conor punches Floyd in the face while the ref is mid-lecture. Probably not very smart. Big combination from Floyd, Conor wears himself out hitting Floyd's gloves about 20 times and then eats more clean punches. More. More. Well, Conor McGregor officially has CTE along with his $30 million check. 10-8 Mayweather. Dead man walking, if you can call that walking. throwinthedamntowel.gif.

R10: Time to replace the heavy bag.

bionic77

So is this it for Mayweather? I think it is. Had his last big payday nothing left to prove.
He looked old and rusty (when compared to his insane standards). A real boxer might have beaten him last night.

He is too smart to get beat. He is done unless he runs out of money.

RGVNOE

Projected 100 mill for Notorious and 300 mill for Money.
Connor is not his own man like mayweather, 100m is most likely split between him dana and ufc, you know dana only alowed this if he were to take a good chunk of that, but still yea he made more than he's ever made, good for him can't hate on the guy making his money.

bionic77

That wasn't the narrative Connor supporters were running with 12 hours ago though. If Floyd had fought his usual defensive style obnoxious MMA fans would never let us hear the end of it.
You should not argue with idiots.

I actually did think Conor would have power but would not be able to connect (like every other Money fight). But I was a little shocked at how bad Conor looked throwing punches. He looked like an NBA player flailing around and throwing shit punches.

I guess you can't learn to punch like a professional in a few months. What a surprise!

manfestival

I like how do many people that are unfamiliar with Connor are surprised by everything that happened. Only surprise is that he lasted that long.

Clockwork5

I dunno, it just seemed conor would have been able to tag him. But that's what 49 professional boxers also said...

The gloves made a difference, conor had little power. And he literally played right into gassing himself out. That is what was so surprising.

If I trained conor, it would be to be slightly aggressive and reactive, because Floyd is going to try to gas you out. Like everyone in the world is saying. So if he does, just technically win with a few jabs per round. Let the crowd boo. And keep it up. React to floyds energy. Showboat a little..

But no, he just hit the NOS button. And died like literally everyone said he would. I just thought they'd have prepared him for that.

McGregor was never going to outscore Mayweather. If Mayweather sensed this was the approach McGregor was taking, those first four rounds would have looked much, much different.

Shadybiz

Went pretty much as expected. Agree that Mayweather was just hanging back and letting Conor gas himself for the first few rounds, along with learning his routines.

I thought it was Rousey in an MMA match.

Yes, but you had a lot of people go one higher and say that she'd beat him at boxing, too...which was insanely hilarious.

That was a fun ride.

FamiliarGlamorousFulmar.gif

LiveSeveralIncatern.gif

Oh god I remember these...it's like how many things can you do wrong in about 10 seconds??

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Oh god I remember these...it's like how many things can you do wrong in about 10 seconds??

"Now remember, all your power comes from the wrists so don't turn your body. And don't turn your head either just look away from what you're aiming at. That's it, stand like a block and slap 'em with the top of your hand. perfect."

Cmagus

We went and watched this at the bar last night and I'd say like 90% of people there were rooting for Conor. I thought the fight was pretty entertaining although Conor really didn't stand a chance. You could tell after the first round that Conor wasn't gonna last 12 rounds at that pace. Mayweather just kept on him and wasn't giving him a second to breathe, even when the ref broke them up he was right back on him and Conor just kept throwing punches tiring himself out more. Right from the second round Mayweather was just tiring him out and considering Conor literally put up no defense whatsoever, once he tired him out Conor was open season and that's exactly what happened.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Went pretty much as expected. Agree that Mayweather was just hanging back and letting Conor gas himself for the first few rounds, along with learning his routines.

Yes, but you had a lot of people go one higher and say that she'd beat him at boxing, too...which was insanely hilarious.

All I'm saying is that if you put Connor in the octagon with a wild monkey, and Connor's wearing a steel cup to protect his groin, then my money is on Connor...

... still getting beaten to death.

No blame there. Just saying that I wouldn't go too crazy in praise of Floyd for being more aggressive than usual, considering his opponent posed zero threat to him in a boxing ring.

Well, if Money played defensive and fought for points people would've complained. Regardless, all it takes is a hailmary but Conor was never threat.. if anything blame Conor for pushing this fight he was the one who started running his mouth how he could beat a boxer lol

Anyway both made out like bandits and dude was mad happy (Floyd made him rich) honestly can't see Conor fight again in mma.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Watching the fight now, reluctantly since it's going to suck. Quick play by play.

R1: PBF looks like he's warming up in a light sparring session that Conor should be wearing headgear for. A few jabs connected by Conor, not much offense from PBF but he doesn't give a shit. Conor tries to half-heartedly go RJJ 90 seconds into the first round but doesn't actually commit, looks weak. 10-9 Conor, no damage.

R2: PBF still feeling him out. Conor keeps throwing illegal strikes to the back of the head and not a whole lot else. 10-9 PBF. In between rounds PBF refuses to sip any water and looks like his heart rate is at about 40 bpm. I think his corner might have loaded up some Netflix for him off-screen since they haven't given him any verbal feedback and he looks like he could be on a sofa right now. Conor is breathing heavily and has giant icepacks being held against his body while his corner rapid-fires advice.

R3: More illegal strikes. I don't know if Conor is actually hitting anything other than the back of PBF's head at this point. On his way to losing a point. Conor has zero footwork other than his telegraphed, stiff stance shuffles to orthodox for a single punch. Conor's couple real jabs from the first round are nowhere to be seen and he's just pawing his jab at the edge of his reach over and over now, accomplishing nothing. Floyd's still watching Death Note on his corner's iPad while warming up a bit more. 10-9 PBF. Conor's breathing very heavily in the corner now.

R4: Conor opens up with a flurry that hits nothing except PBF's defenses...and his cup. Jesus Christ, dude. More illegal shit with this pseudo-guillotine clinching a few consecutive times. Now Conor tries some legal boxing finally and immediately gets tagged. Again. Again. Conor's slowing down. Tagged again. PBF flies past Conor's overextended arm and tags him in the nose. Conor looks hurt already and is moving like he's underwater. Takes his back...not MMA, dude. Chin up and extended forward comically...tagged. Floyd's blocked or slipped just about everything this round while landing at-will. PBF nails a counter and then Conor reaches all the way around to tap him on the back of the head, for reasons. 10-9 PBF, starting to get to 10-8 territory. Conor's arms are hanging limp at his waist and he looks completely gassed after the bell.

R5: Floyd's now just walking forward and largely disregarding Conor's offense as if he's being given a therapeutic massage by Conor's gloves. Chasing him across the ring now. Lots of clinching. PBF parries some of Conor's punches mid-air. Couple clean shots, not a whole lot going on. 10-9 PBF. Conor's sucking air hard. Floyd looks warmed up.

R6: Oh my fucking god stop hitting him in the back of the head, Conor. Full combination to the back of the head. I'm deducting a point here. Ref steps in but nothing from him. Two hard shots to Conor's chin. Then to the body. Then to the nose. Crunch. Crunch. Haymaker cracks the side of Conor's head. And again. Conor looks scared. PBF is locked in on his face now and getting into a rhythm. Every jab is going through Conor's raised guard and PBF is parrying the return punches. Conor scores with a combination but with zero force behind it, pitter patter. Floyd's smiling. Conor smiles back and looks gassed as shit and drops the smile to fend for his life. PBF slips, slips, Conor visibly struggles with the energy expended whiffing his punches as the round ends. 10-8 PBF with a point for Conor's repeated intentional illegal punches to the back of the head as far as I'm concerned. This is gonna get ugly shortly. Conor's eye is swelling up...make that both eyes.

R7: Floyd Mayweather Jr. hits like a fucking freight train compared to his opponent, I believe the first time those words have ever formed in that order in my brain in 32 years. Conor's brain meanwhile appears to be turning off the rest of the way and he's going for double underhooks and elbows and trying to take Floyd's back. Get the ambulance ready. Five consecutive clean hits to Conor's face and body. Make that seven. This is bag work now. Conor gets double underhooks again. I don't think he knows he's in a boxing match anymore. Floyd rattles his brain a few more times and Conor takes his back, again, desperately, and flops against the ropes after the ref separates them. PBF looks mildly annoyed that his bag work got interrupted. 10-9 Mayweather.

R8: Conor McGregor gets punched in the face while gassed horribly. 10-9 PBF. Floyd figures out his afterparty plans.

R9: Conor opens with a flurry, clinches, clinches again, ref pulls him aside to give him a stern talking to and Conor punches Floyd in the face while the ref is mid-lecture. Probably not very smart. Big combination from Floyd, Conor wears himself out hitting Floyd's gloves about 20 times and then eats more clean punches. More. More. Well, Conor McGregor officially has CTE along with his $30 million check. 10-8 Mayweather. Dead man walking, if you can call that walking. throwinthedamntowel.gif.

R10: Time to replace the heavy bag.

Honestly, this RBR is pretty legit. McGregor was never truly in this fight. Floyd dictated everything and can ended it earlier if he wanted. He carried Connor and came forward like he said he would.

MrMephistoX

We went and watched this at the bar last night and I'd say like 90% of people there were rooting for Conor. I thought the fight was pretty entertaining although Conor really didn't stand a chance. You could tell after the first round that Conor wasn't gonna last 12 rounds at that speed and right from the second round Mayweather was just tiring him out and considering Conor literally put up no defense whatsoever, once he tired him out Conor was open season and that's exactly what happened.

Yeah it was pretty obvious in retrospect still exciting as hell to watch for someone like me who enjoys MMA and Boxing but doesn't really follow it religiously. It was a spectacle and Conor didn't embarrass himself: I was half expecting Mayweather to just knock him out in the first 3 rounds like Punch Out. Also, good on the ref for realizing Conor was completely gassed although it would have been more exciting to see him knocked down it would have been gratuitous and possibly brain damaging since Connor really wasn't defending himself at that point. I do kinda wonder what a boxer entering MMA would look like. Obviously I think they'd have to modify the rules a bit but I think something like no kicks or takedowns but everything save below the belt might be kinda cool.

We went and watched this at the bar last night and I'd say like 90% of people there were rooting for Conor. I thought the fight was pretty entertaining although Conor really didn't stand a chance. You could tell after the first round that Conor wasn't gonna last 12 rounds at that pace. Mayweather just kept on him and wasn't giving him a second to breathe, even when the ref broke them up he was right back on him and Conor just kept throwing punches tiring himself out more. Right from the second round Mayweather was just tiring him out and considering Conor literally put up no defense whatsoever, once he tired him out Conor was open season and that's exactly what happened.

The bar I was at rooting for Conner, too. After the fight my friends and I went to a bar. I was talking to two girls, brought up the fight, and they asked me who I was rooting for. I said mayweather, and one of them said "fuck you" lol.

Maxim726X

Not to sound like some sage or anything, but I thought that the only chance he had at all was to land some power punches in the first few rounds to topple him... Which is a fucking terrible strategy against someone like Floyd who methodically wears down his opponents over 12, but that was basically the best chance he had.

commedieu

Banned
McGregor was never going to outscore Mayweather. If Mayweather sensed this was the approach McGregor was taking, those first four rounds would have looked much, much different.

So...

FIGHT 2 IS ONNNN ! $!

Not to sound like some sage or anything, but I thought that the only chance he had at all was to land some power punches in the first few rounds to topple him... Which is a fucking terrible strategy against someone like Floyd who methodically wears down his opponents over 12, but that was basically the best chance he had.

But that's what literal professionals have tried. That's why I can't believe that his camp actually trained to do what professionals couldn't probably 30 times out of the 49.

"I'll just hit him really hard and win!" Was really the plan. I wouldn't have been so hyped if I thought that was literally it. Shit talk aside, conor is always going to say he's going to kill you and knock you out.

But that was the ace in the hole. Against Floyd the best boxer of this era, mawhether.

If Conor looked like this against someone with brittle hands.. just imagine what Canelo or GGG would've done.

Exactly. That would be painful to watch.

https://youtu.be/eUx9OE7DZAo

About that. Ray Mercer is 48 years old in this fight and the first person to ever knock former UFC champ Tim Silvia out

OK- you're right. I should have made my statement more bulletproof:

See James Toney vs. Randy Couture. You've now seen every MMA fight involving a pure boxer, assuming the MMA fighter isn't completely shot.

Sylvia was a shell of himself by that point in his career. He looked like he held his training camp at the local Golden Corral. That "fight" took place at "Adrenaline MMA" for a reason.

I wonder if Trump was watching the fight since he and Floyd are good business friends. I was surprised there hasn't been a congratulatory tweet yet. It would've been hilarious if there was a tweet right after the fight.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
OK- you're right. I should have made my statement more bulletproof:

See James Toney vs. Randy Couture. You've now seen every MMA fight involving a pure boxer, assuming the MMA fighter isn't completely shot.

Sylvia was a shell of himself by that point in his career. He looked like he held his training camp at the local Golden Corral. That "fight" took place at "Adrenaline MMA" for a reason.

You mention Tim being shot as an excuse against a 48 year old boxing veteran who has been in numerous wars with the likes of Evander Holyfield. How is Silvia shot but not James Toney. Do you know how many pro boxing matches James Toney has had? Have you heard him speak before and how punch drunk he sounds. The excuse of being shot should never come up against a fighter who is 48 and 15 years your senior.

Top Bottom