• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor - Saturday August 26th |OT| FOOK / YEAAAH

The only reason this "fight" existed is because of money.

I simply never understood the psychology behind obsessing over another individuals's riches or claiming a lost is actually a win because they got paid.

Does the amount of money on the table really make people care MORE about the fight?

The dynamics of the matchups isn't enough?

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
McGregor did some solid boxing those initial rounds, glad it wasn't the farce many expected it to be.

His punches had nothing behind them and there was only one way the match was going at that point.

I actually disagree with you on the solid boxing statement. The whole fight he was never putting his hip or legs into his punches. Outside of maybe 5 punches that connected his strength wasn't really behind his punches due to his footwork. It made him look better than he was as a boxer.

In MMA punching like that makes sense since most times you have to worry about takedowns and kicks. However, punching the way he did in the fight meant the punches were ineffective and weaker than what Floyd probably faced in sparring.

This was from a technical stand point the easiest fight Floyd has fought probably ever, and he made a huge payday from it.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Watching the fight now, reluctantly since it's going to suck. Quick play by play.

R1: PBF looks like he's warming up in a light sparring session that Conor should be wearing headgear for. A few jabs connected by Conor, not much offense from PBF but he doesn't give a shit. Conor tries to half-heartedly go RJJ 90 seconds into the first round but doesn't actually commit, looks weak. 10-9 Conor, no damage.

R2: PBF still feeling him out. Conor keeps throwing illegal strikes to the back of the head and not a whole lot else. 10-9 PBF. In between rounds PBF refuses to sip any water and looks like his heart rate is at about 40 bpm. I think his corner might have loaded up some Netflix for him off-screen since they haven't given him any verbal feedback and he looks like he could be on a sofa right now. Conor is breathing heavily and has giant icepacks being held against his body while his corner rapid-fires advice.

R3: More illegal strikes. I don't know if Conor is actually hitting anything other than the back of PBF's head at this point. On his way to losing a point. Conor has zero footwork other than his telegraphed, stiff stance shuffles to orthodox for a single punch. Conor's couple real jabs from the first round are nowhere to be seen and he's just pawing his jab at the edge of his reach over and over now, accomplishing nothing. Floyd's still watching Death Note on his corner's iPad while warming up a bit more. 10-9 PBF. Conor's breathing very heavily in the corner now.

R4: Conor opens up with a flurry that hits nothing except PBF's defenses...and his cup. Jesus Christ, dude. More illegal shit with this pseudo-guillotine clinching a few consecutive times. Now Conor tries some legal boxing finally and immediately gets tagged. Again. Again. Conor's slowing down. Tagged again. PBF flies past Conor's overextended arm and tags him in the nose. Conor looks hurt already and is moving like he's underwater. Takes his back...not MMA, dude. Chin up and extended forward comically...tagged. Floyd's blocked or slipped just about everything this round while landing at-will. PBF nails a counter and then Conor reaches all the way around to tap him on the back of the head, for reasons. 10-9 PBF, starting to get to 10-8 territory. Conor's arms are hanging limp at his waist and he looks completely gassed after the bell.

R5: Floyd's now just walking forward and largely disregarding Conor's offense as if he's being given a therapeutic massage by Conor's gloves. Chasing him across the ring now. Lots of clinching. PBF parries some of Conor's punches mid-air. Couple clean shots, not a whole lot going on. 10-9 PBF. Conor's sucking air hard. Floyd looks warmed up.

R6: Oh my fucking god stop hitting him in the back of the head, Conor. Full combination to the back of the head. I'm deducting a point here. Ref steps in but nothing from him. Two hard shots to Conor's chin. Then to the body. Then to the nose. Crunch. Crunch. Haymaker cracks the side of Conor's head. And again. Conor looks scared. PBF is locked in on his face now and getting into a rhythm. Every jab is going through Conor's raised guard and PBF is parrying the return punches. Conor scores with a combination but with zero force behind it, pitter patter. Floyd's smiling. Conor smiles back and looks gassed as shit and drops the smile to fend for his life. PBF slips, slips, Conor visibly struggles with the energy expended whiffing his punches as the round ends. 10-8 PBF with a point for Conor's repeated intentional illegal punches to the back of the head as far as I'm concerned. This is gonna get ugly shortly. Conor's eye is swelling up...make that both eyes.

R7: Floyd Mayweather Jr. hits like a fucking freight train compared to his opponent, I believe the first time those words have ever formed in that order in my brain in 32 years. Conor's brain meanwhile appears to be turning off the rest of the way and he's going for double underhooks and elbows and trying to take Floyd's back. Get the ambulance ready. Five consecutive clean hits to Conor's face and body. Make that seven. This is bag work now. Conor gets double underhooks again. I don't think he knows he's in a boxing match anymore. Floyd rattles his brain a few more times and Conor takes his back, again, desperately, and flops against the ropes after the ref separates them. PBF looks mildly annoyed that his bag work got interrupted. 10-9 Mayweather.

R8: Conor McGregor gets punched in the face while gassed horribly. 10-9 PBF. Floyd figures out his afterparty plans.

R9: Conor opens with a flurry, clinches, clinches again, ref pulls him aside to give him a stern talking to and Conor punches Floyd in the face while the ref is mid-lecture. Probably not very smart. Big combination from Floyd, Conor wears himself out hitting Floyd's gloves about 20 times and then eats more clean punches. More. More. Well, Conor McGregor officially has CTE along with his $30 million check. 10-8 Mayweather. Dead man walking, if you can call that walking. throwinthedamntowel.gif.

R10: Time to replace the heavy bag.

Big-E

I can't believe how everyone made out like bandits in this. Mayweather got paid, carried Connor to give something for the MMA fans to latch onto. And somehow, Vegas got paid as well. Unbelievable that a majority of people bet on Connor. MMA betters are the only ones who lost.

flkraven

I put a tenner on McGregor as the odds were too good not to. The only way McGregor would win was fuckery and there was a lot of it last night.

Too good not to? An amateur fighter just fought arguably the goat and the odds were as low as like 4-1 for Connor. Wasn't good odds man. If anything, the odds were great for Mayweather. I expected him to be like -10000.

For more recent reference points, I think I remember Maidana (both fights) and Canelo being bigger long shots than Connor. Vegas made money this weekend because MMA and casual boxing fans thought Connor was a good price lol

Beefy

Too good not to? An amateur fighter just fought arguably the goat and the odds were as low as like 4-1 for Connor. Wasn't good odds man. If anything, the odds were great for Mayweather. I expected him to be like -10000.

For more recent reference points, I think I remember Maidana (both fights) and Canelo being bigger long shots than Connor. Vegas made money this weekend because MMA and casual boxing fans thought Connor was a good price lol

I got 33-1, never seen odds like it. That and I didn't pay $100 to watch it like a lot of Americans did.

I don't really know why Connor is getting so much credit. Mayweather toyed with him for 6 rounds or so and then crushed him. Atleast that's how it looked to me.

Futureman

anyone buy through Showtime PPV and it didn't work at all?

I'm guessing my friend will get a refund but it seems like something that would be hard to prove.

bionic77

I don't really know why Connor is getting so much credit. Mayweather toyed with him for 6 rounds or so and then crushed him. Atleast that's how it looked to me.
That's pretty spot on.

The surprise for me was how rusty Floyd looked for the first 3 rounds (not surprising but I have never seen Money look like that) and how Conor had zero power. He threw punches like an NBA player. Can't believe he was using that MMA stance in a boxing match...

People don't know how to judge a fight, just pop into any boxing/mma fight where people give fighters rounds for no reason other than throwing whiffed punches

Also people hate Floyd and just want to be able to say "omg see! an mma fighter gave him a good fight"

Tom_Cody

Hey now

hey there

hey man

hey...

PKgumEo.gif

Connor won the cutest punch in professional history; you can't take that from him!
I love this.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Fuck lost out by one round on the bet for Mayweather to win.

How are the guys who bet thousands on McGregor? 🤣

Turin

Banned
I didn't think Floyd would be so generous to Conor. This fight had more in common with Ali's exhibition against that one football player(I can't remember the name) than I hoped it would.

Tom_Cody

He saw it coming, judged its speed and force, and deemed it not worthy of blocking it or evading. Lol.
Yup, exactly.

To add another wrinkle, he had figured out how to read when McGregor was simply pawing with his jab versus when he was throwing it with power. That and his judgement of range meant that he was able to simply take it with a kiss.

Watching the fight now, reluctantly since it's going to suck. Quick play by play.

R1: PBF looks like he's warming up in a light sparring session that Conor should be wearing headgear for. A few jabs connected by Conor, not much offense from PBF but he doesn't give a shit. Conor tries to half-heartedly go RJJ 90 seconds into the first round but doesn't actually commit, looks weak. 10-9 Conor, no damage.

R2: PBF still feeling him out. Conor keeps throwing illegal strikes to the back of the head and not a whole lot else. 10-9 PBF. In between rounds PBF refuses to sip any water and looks like his heart rate is at about 40 bpm. I think his corner might have loaded up some Netflix for him off-screen since they haven't given him any verbal feedback and he looks like he could be on a sofa right now. Conor is breathing heavily and has giant icepacks being held against his body while his corner rapid-fires advice.

R3: More illegal strikes. I don't know if Conor is actually hitting anything other than the back of PBF's head at this point. On his way to losing a point. Conor has zero footwork other than his telegraphed, stiff stance shuffles to orthodox for a single punch. Conor's couple real jabs from the first round are nowhere to be seen and he's just pawing his jab at the edge of his reach over and over now, accomplishing nothing. Floyd's still watching Death Note on his corner's iPad while warming up a bit more. 10-9 PBF. Conor's breathing very heavily in the corner now.

R4: Conor opens up with a flurry that hits nothing except PBF's defenses...and his cup. Jesus Christ, dude. More illegal shit with this pseudo-guillotine clinching a few consecutive times. Now Conor tries some legal boxing finally and immediately gets tagged. Again. Again. Conor's slowing down. Tagged again. PBF flies past Conor's overextended arm and tags him in the nose. Conor looks hurt already and is moving like he's underwater. Takes his back...not MMA, dude. Chin up and extended forward comically...tagged. Floyd's blocked or slipped just about everything this round while landing at-will. PBF nails a counter and then Conor reaches all the way around to tap him on the back of the head, for reasons. 10-9 PBF, starting to get to 10-8 territory. Conor's arms are hanging limp at his waist and he looks completely gassed after the bell.

R5: Floyd's now just walking forward and largely disregarding Conor's offense as if he's being given a therapeutic massage by Conor's gloves. Chasing him across the ring now. Lots of clinching. PBF parries some of Conor's punches mid-air. Couple clean shots, not a whole lot going on. 10-9 PBF. Conor's sucking air hard. Floyd looks warmed up.

R6: Oh my fucking god stop hitting him in the back of the head, Conor. Full combination to the back of the head. I'm deducting a point here. Ref steps in but nothing from him. Two hard shots to Conor's chin. Then to the body. Then to the nose. Crunch. Crunch. Haymaker cracks the side of Conor's head. And again. Conor looks scared. PBF is locked in on his face now and getting into a rhythm. Every jab is going through Conor's raised guard and PBF is parrying the return punches. Conor scores with a combination but with zero force behind it, pitter patter. Floyd's smiling. Conor smiles back and looks gassed as shit and drops the smile to fend for his life. PBF slips, slips, Conor visibly struggles with the energy expended whiffing his punches as the round ends. 10-8 PBF with a point for Conor's repeated intentional illegal punches to the back of the head as far as I'm concerned. This is gonna get ugly shortly. Conor's eye is swelling up...make that both eyes.

R7: Floyd Mayweather Jr. hits like a fucking freight train compared to his opponent, I believe the first time those words have ever formed in that order in my brain in 32 years. Conor's brain meanwhile appears to be turning off the rest of the way and he's going for double underhooks and elbows and trying to take Floyd's back. Get the ambulance ready. Five consecutive clean hits to Conor's face and body. Make that seven. This is bag work now. Conor gets double underhooks again. I don't think he knows he's in a boxing match anymore. Floyd rattles his brain a few more times and Conor takes his back, again, desperately, and flops against the ropes after the ref separates them. PBF looks mildly annoyed that his bag work got interrupted. 10-9 Mayweather.

R8: Conor McGregor gets punched in the face while gassed horribly. 10-9 PBF. Floyd figures out his afterparty plans.

R9: Conor opens with a flurry, clinches, clinches again, ref pulls him aside to give him a stern talking to and Conor punches Floyd in the face while the ref is mid-lecture. Probably not very smart. Big combination from Floyd, Conor wears himself out hitting Floyd's gloves about 20 times and then eats more clean punches. More. More. Well, Conor McGregor officially has CTE along with his $30 million check. 10-8 Mayweather. Dead man walking, if you can call that walking. throwinthedamntowel.gif.

R10: Time to replace the heavy bag.

the commentary trying to make it seem like Connor was blowing Floyd up in the first few rounds made me laugh. This commentary is more accurate to what happened

fanboi

Banned
Not because of the disagreement. Looked like lightskintwin accused Evilore of "projecting" some of his own racial bias in his argument. Which seems like a personal attack.

Next Evilore told him to clarify what exactly he meant, but after two posts he deflected. So he got banned. You shouldn't be able to recklessly accuse people of shit without backing it up though.

Yeah, that I can see.

Allthough that is something I see quite often here hence I didn't think that was it.

This is amazing.

I was watching with a friend last night who can't help but be biased as shit, which I legit enjoy the hell out of. He really wanted McGregor to win, so Mayweather could land 5 clean hits in a row, then McGregor would give a little love tap like that, and it would always result in shouts of joy from him. Watching him seriously think McGregor was hanging in there was as entertaining as the fight.

conor came out strong first 2 rounds but it was obviously floyd was just waiting and eventually playing with him.

overall embarrassing fight. Conor wasting all his energy on shitty punches, not to mention most of his punches looked weak as hell.

feel sorry for anyone who paid for this, its embarrassing to the sport and was not entertaining in the slightest.

bionic77

Im just glad the usual fucking idiots and Floyd haters can't accuse him of "running away" the whole fight. He walked his man down repeatedly.
He walked down a guy who didn't know how to fight.

Money is one of the best of all time. This fight did nothing to add to that. It was just a show that made him a ton of money.

btrboyev

That's all that needs to be said. Conor won the first two rounds because Floyd sat there and let him get shots in and waste energy.

I do think Conors stance and fighting style legitimately throws Floyd off for a small while, but none of Conors punches hurt Floyd. There was one body shot that I think did, but I wasn't sure exactly what happened there.

Im just glad the usual fucking idiots and Floyd haters can't accuse him of "running away" the whole fight. He walked his man down repeatedly.

I love boxing and have done since the mid eighties, but fuck me if there aren't a lot of really ignorant idiotic followers of this sport. People can hate Mayweather all they want for his antics outside of the ring, but to deny his greatness inside the ring is asinine.

He walked down a guy who didn't know how to fight.

Money is one of the best of all time. This fight did nothing to add to that. It was just a show that made him a ton of money.
That wasn't the narrative Connor supporters were running with 12 hours ago though. If Floyd had fought his usual defensive style obnoxious MMA fans would never let us hear the end of it.

That's all that needs to be said. Conor won the first two rounds because Floyd sat there and let him get shots in and waste energy.

I do think Conors stance and fighting style legitimately throws Floyd off for a small while, but none of Conors punches hurt Floyd. There was one body shot that I think did, but I wasn't sure exactly what happened there.

The low blow?

btrboyev

Now get Floyd in the octagon

Why? I don't get why anybody would say that? Floyd has not once said he could do MMA. He knows he can't. Connor ran his mouth about being a great boxer and could beat Mayweather. He got killed. He got paid. But he's no boxer.

Why? I don't get why anybody would say that? Floyd has not once said he could do MMA. He knows he can't. Connor ran his mouth about being a great boxer and could beat Mayweather. He got killed. He got paid. But he's no boxer.

Just sad fans hoping someday they'll get comeuppance for all the money they just blew

It'll never happen. Never! :)

Maxim726X

I knew mayweather would win just by how pretty he looked, did you see his eyes?
Seriously though, at 40yo, he has more stamina than mcgregor? Damn

I mean, you're talking about one of the greatest boxers of all time. No matter how much work Connor put into his conditioning there's no way he can match Floyd's 20+ year career... Even at 40.

Top Bottom