• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor - Saturday August 26th |OT| FOOK / YEAAAH

TyrantII

If you want to give Conor credit for something, make it for actually coaxing Floyd out of retirement and making the fight happen. He gets kudos for that and for simply having the balls to face the best ever.

In the ring however? He did exactly as "well" as Floyd let him do.

Yep. Floyd wasn't toying with him, he was being super disciplined and ensuring there was no way to lose.

I very much feel he could have gone for a KO early, but that's a riskier strat and that isn't how he's become so successful. So he ground him down and took the easy win and the money.

McG does deserve props for putting this together and stepping up, but this one was as lopsided as you'd think.

RoyalFool

Banned
Caught up and watched it this morning.

Pretty decent fight, went almost exactly as predicted with Mayweather using the first few rounds to download his opponents moves and then slowly increasing the pace and moving forward as McGregor wore himself out. McGregor did some solid boxing those initial rounds, glad it wasn't the farce many expected it to be.

The biggest surprise was just how worn out McGregor got by round 9 or 10, his punches had nothing behind them and there was only one way the match was going at that point. Makes you really appreciate what great shape Mayweather was in for his age, seeing someone in his prime with his mouth open and arms down by round 9.

As someone who follows both sports, I'm pretty pleased to see the boxer come out on top. Feels like interest in boxing has been waning in favour of MMA, hopefully this cements them as two complimentary sports rather than it having to be one or the other.

Surprised by the amount of race talk in this thread, hadn't even considered that aspect of it. Folks with little or no knowledge of either competitor are probably just latching on to whatever commonality they can find in order to have the excitement of backing someone.

Flintty

This and the Joshua fight have actually got me into boxing for the first time since I was a kid, so it's not all bad. I watched on YT this morning and quite enjoyed it and glad Mayweather won.

I might actually pay to watch the next big fight.

Surprised by the amount of race talk in this thread, hadn't even considered that aspect of it. Folks with little or no knowledge of either competitor are probably just latching on to whatever commonality they can find in order to have the excitement of backing someone.

Same. Seeing 'fucking white people' left a bad taste. I'm not saying it's not an issue but it was made more of an issue than it should have in this thread.

<- White British and I was backing Mayweather to smash that gobby shite!

Unfortunately it always has and will continue to be our landscape. In today's America, because it was a black fighter against a white one, it will be magnified.

Wait did EviLore just ban that guy without any real reason then not agreeing? Or did I miss something?
I think he mistakenly thought he made comments that someone else posted. I never saw lightskintwin post anything referring MMA fans to Trump supporters; that was someone else.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
yfs8sv2.png

Caught up and watched it this morning.

Pretty decent fight, went almost exactly as predicted with Mayweather using the first few rounds to download his opponents moves and then slowly increasing the pace and moving forward as McGregor wore himself out. McGregor did some solid boxing those initial rounds, glad it wasn't the farce many expected it to be.

The biggest surprise was just how worn out McGregor got by round 9 or 10, his punches had nothing behind them and there was only one way the match was going at that point. Makes you really appreciate what great shape Mayweather was in for his age, seeing someone in his prime with his mouth open and arms down by round 9.

As someone who follows both sports, I'm pretty pleased to see the boxer come out on top. Feels like interest in boxing has been waning in favour of MMA, hopefully this cements them as two complimentary sports rather than it having to be one or the other.

In my circles, it was always about Boxing vs MMA, as stupid as that is when you look at the rules agreed to...

RoyalFool

Banned
So did Floyd.

Haha, if you squinted real hard you could actually see his limit break bar slowly increasing everytime he let Connor land a hit.

So what was he general consensus on the ref? He seemed super lenient to the hammer fists, couple of low blows and hitting during the break. Do you think somebody told him he'll have to refund the PPV fee's personally if he deducted any points?

They also missed trick with the announcer, I wanted to see the Buffer brothers doing a combo announce to celebrate both their backgrounds.

Ron Mexico

I'm guessing I'd be in the smallest of minorities for thinking Badou Jack had the performance of the night?

I'm more of a casual boxing fan, but that fight got me to take notice without question.

dohdough

Just watched the fight.

Easiest fight for Mayweather as expected. McGregor was looking relatively strong in the first 8 with Mayweather clearly stepping it up as the fight went on. Frankly, I'm surprised that it went as long as it did. I expected Mayweather to start dominating after 3, but I also expected the ref to start warning McGregor for the hammers and keeping his arm out.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Wanted the boxer to win at boxing and that's what happened. Good for the world and good for sports.

Props to McGregor for not looking like a complete chump. Mayweather won easily and extremely safely. A master of the sport.

As I suspected mayweather was the constant calm efficient aggressor. Connor and mma fighters never fight on back foot or "inside" and that way mcgregor had to keep fending him off and unable to set his own pace.

Crazy endurance by mayweather.

dickroach

I might be completely off but the fight gave me the same feeling. Floyd let Conor dictate the pace at the beginning, but he was never in any danger

the fact that he looked like he was about to burst out laughing constantly... did that clue you in?

The Crow Trolley has arrived, please form an ordinary queue!

There's no way Mayweather will even go for a knock out. He's just gonna dodge him, win by decision and hope for a rematch that makes 66% as much money

I put $10K on McGregor. I'm honestly shaking because if I loose i just screwed up my life
Crow INC. does offer rehabilitation services, please apply within.

Who knows. Someone put $40k on Conor.
At least that fund will be donated towards educating Conor fans on real boxing.

lol i put 10$ on McGregor and i already thought this would be a dumb idea
$10 too much.

No worries, easy money.

Why ever bet on Floyd? Minimal gain, no thrill, no point.

Do you guys think McGregor wins a round?

I actually know someone in real life that bet significant money, for him, on that happening.

Who put $10k on Mayweather so we can laugh at them too.
Laugh at them in celebration of course!

My bet of 5 bitcoins on Conor by TKO is double 10k. Pay me attention and give me quotes, guys! &#128587;

I mined bitcoin in 2011 so I have a bajillion of these bits laying around collecting dust. &#128374;
In 2011 you mined butcoin, in 2017 you will mine salt.

I just put a $100 bet on McGregor, but that Krum gets the Snitch.

What time does this clown show start?
It never started, it was over before it began.

Put a £10 on Mcgregor at 33-1. So if the world ends when he wins I won't be able to spend my winnings

Guys. I decided to say fuck it and put $100k on Conor.

fjGJdox.png

How fucked am I?
On a scale of 1 to Conor? You are gassed.

Brannon

Mayweather only took 9 shots in the first 3 round. The next 161 hits came after the 3rd. 152 of his hits were power punches not jabs.

Mayweather gave him the first 3 rounds.

This wasnt a competitive fight. I wont entertain that notion at all.

Hey now

hey there

hey man

hey...

PKgumEo.gif

Connor won the cutest punch in professional history; you can't take that from him!

Mayweather only took 9 shots in the first 3 round. The next 161 hits came after the 3rd. 152 of his hits were power punches not jabs.

Mayweather gave him the first 3 rounds.

This wasnt a competitive fight. I wont entertain that notion at all.
Yep. Floyd simply tried to give the people their monies worth. Give the *appearance* of a good fight. Then you realize what his strategy is and understand that the match is over in the 4th and that people simply didn't understand what was happening. Connor had no hope.

$10 too much.

My point still stands lol. Betting on Floyd this fight was minimal gain, no thrill, no point. Him winning doesn't change that, it reinforces it

Alucard

Banned
Watched the highlights. Looked like Floyd toying with Mcgregor and milking rounds so the audience didn't feel ripped off.

Carnies gotta carn.

bionic77

I was actually surprised by Conor not being able to throw anything with power. His technique was a joke.

Money looked real old in the first 6 rounds but that is to be expected given his age and how long he was off.

shira

As a few said, that's the grantee. They'll be getting a % of every sale.

Basically way more

Article is stating about 230mil for May, 70mil for Conor when everything is totaled.
Promoter gets a cut, each trainer gets a cut, each cutman gets a cut, lots of people get cuts.

Government gets a big cut.

It may be 300-80 on paper but when it's all said and done it's what half of that to the fighters?

Very small pet peeve but seeing so many grown men pocket watching other men as if they're strippers & a bunch of "high spenders" just walked into a club always annoyed me

Why do people do this? (I mean i get why, people are hypnotized by money and fame and obsessed with celebrity)

How about just enjoying and appreciating the fight? (or not), is money talk always necessary?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Very small pet peeve but seeing so many grown men pocket watching other men as if they're strippers & a bunch of "high spenders" just walked into a club always annoyed me

Why do people do this? (I mean i get why, people are hypnotized by money and fame and obsessed with celebrity)

How about just enjoying and appreciating the fight? (or not), is money talk always necessary?

The only reason this "fight" existed is because of money.

Kyzer

Banned
Guessed the round floyd would knock him out and everything, made a little pocket change. I was being dumb too because i predicted it would end in the 10th by KO but then without realizing bet that first blood would be drawn in the 11th...

Beefy

The Crow Trolley has arrived, please form an ordinary queue!.

Do you understand what crow means? Because it doesn't look like it.

I put a tenner on McGregor as the odds were too good not to. The only way McGregor would win was fuckery and there was a lot of it last night.

Boxing fans didn't win and neither did MMA fans. Both had the easiest fight of the careers for the biggest pay they ever received.

McGregor: got paid for trash talking, getting gassed and taking about 8 hard hits
Mayweather: got paid for laughing and taking the piss

The only losers are the people paying all that cash to see a proper fight. They got played into giving one racist homophobe and a racist homophobe wife beater all that cash.

KingV

$10 too much.

mcg won round one on the official scorecard. That dude won that bet.

M.J. Doja

Banned
Wait did EviLore just ban that guy without any real reason then not agreeing? Or did I miss something?

Not because of the disagreement. Looked like lightskintwin accused Evilore of "projecting" some of his own racial bias in his argument. Which seems like a personal attack.

Next Evilore told him to clarify what exactly he meant, but after two posts he deflected. So he got banned. You shouldn't be able to recklessly accuse people of shit without backing it up though.

Top Bottom