• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor - Saturday August 26th |OT| FOOK / YEAAAH

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I can't wait till I don't have to hear the words, 'angles', unorthodox, etc. Floyd, please dead this dumb shit.

jett

D-Member
I think I will be happy if either fighter gets destroyed. A patented Floyd decision borefest would be the worst outcome.

Sadly the most probable.

Do people really pay $100 to watch what could be a 10 minute fight?

How long something lasts has little to do with how much entertainment it provides.

McGregor starched Aldo in 13 seconds to win the Featherweight belt after more than a year of build-up and it was glorious. Worth every penny.

A 10 minute exciting fight is much better than a 12 rounds snoozefest of a decision.

Eanan

Anyone know what the guy said to Conor as he was going to the mic?

Utterly pointless presser. Boring AF.

Floyd gonna cry

Floyd's a genius when it comes to marketing his own brand. He always makes the masses believe this next fight could be the one where he finally falls, and they all eat that shit up.

Floyd finally gets in the ring, shows he's on another level to everyone else and laughs his way to the bank.

Jarrod38

Just found out the BW3 near me is hosting but it's $20 not including food and drinks. Might go but don't want to wait midnight to watch it though.

The biggest hype from this whole sham of a fight has been McGregor beating up on some over the hill guido that has more shame then pride at this point.

If that goon wasn't in on it then all he did was humiliate himself and make McGregor more money.

The biggest hype from this whole sham of a fight has been McGregor beating up on some over the hill guido that has more shame then pride at this point.

If that goon wasn't in on it then all he did was humiliate himself and make McGregor more money.

Yea the amount of folks who've been equating Paulie with Mayweather has been frustrating as shit.

El Topo

That's because it's going to air at like 4 in the morning over there.

PPVs are not really much of a thing over here in general, not to mention the (relative) lack of popularity of MMA and boxing as a whole. It's also because DAZN is trying to establish itself as a sports streaming service, so an event like this is useful to them.

kinggroin

Banned
It's crazy that you have to pay $100 for this farce in the US if you want to watch this legally.

Here in Germany it's 10€ (or with a free trial) for one month of DAZN and you get tons of other sports on top of that.

Hook me up with a subscription trial! I have a VPN service that'll let me access DAZN, but I don't have a qualifying credit or debit card to sign up

Haunted

It's crazy that you have to pay $100 for this farce in the US if you want to watch this legally.

Here in Germany it's 10€ (or with a free trial) for one month of DAZN and you get tons of other sports on top of that.
First time I've ever seen commercials for a combat sports event here in real life, a DAZN video ad with McGregor and Mayweather was playing on a big screen in Frankfurt central station, pretty crazy.

samar11

That press conference room didnt have a lot of people compared to the other ones. Is there a reason for this? Press only ? lol

Tom_Cody

Gervonta Davis is fighting in the lead undercard bout on Saturday night. This is him knocking out previously undefeated Jose Pedraza to claim the IBF title in January as Mayweather looks on.

ImmaterialPortlyCaiman.gif

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Gervonta Davis is fighting in the lead undercard bout on Saturday night. This is him knocking out previously undefeated Jose Pedraza to claim the IBF title in January as Mayweather looks on.

ImmaterialPortlyCaiman.gif

I love those punches that don't register for a second or two. Guy was stumbling around like he still had it but then went down hard.

Yea the amount of folks who've been equating Paulie with Mayweather has been frustrating as shit.

True, but to be fair no one believed McGregor could beat someone at that level either, even out of shape. This is still a "world champion" against a 0-0 dude.

And everyone believed Paulie at first when he said he schooled McGregor. After everything not many people believe that anymore.

And the goalposts continue to move. Even if McGregor wins this in the eyes of the press it'll be because he got lucky, Floyd didn't take him seriously and he got old. You can bet your ass they'll say, this doesn't matter, he still gets destroyed by Canelo or GGG.

Farsi

You gotta be kidding me, I can't buy a ticket at any of the 3 big Cinemark locations in my area for this fight that isn't in the front row. This has never happened before, these screenings for the UFC/Boxing PPVs are usually empty. I think I underestimated how big this fight is.

True, but to be fair no one believed McGregor could beat someone at that level either, even out of shape. This is still a "world champion" against a 0-0 dude.

And everyone believed Paulie at first when he said he schooled McGregor. After everything not many people believe that anymore.

And the goalposts continue to move. Even if McGregor wins this in the eyes of the press it'll be because he got lucky, Floyd didn't take him seriously and he got old. You can bet your ass they'll say, this doesn't matter, he still gets destroyed by Canelo or GGG.

Ehhh, the goal posts continue to move with Mayweather. Beats Canelo, "he was too young", beats Pacman "He was too old, was injured", last year people were saying he would get killed by GGG. Every single person he's beaten there is an excuse about why. Even this fight the excuse going in is "Conor has angles, he has power in both hands, he has a nice left", once Mayweather beats him then it'll just be "Well, he wasn't a boxer".

To me it depends on what happens in the ring. If Conor comes out and looks fantastic, great foot work, cutting the ring off, slipping punches, etc. Then yeah, that'll deff be a win, but let's not kid ourselves. If Mayweather is barely active, showing his age, moving slow as nails and all around awful, why would we celebrate that? It's one thing if Conor legit looks amazing, and there's another if Mayweather legit looks horrible.

How long something lasts has little to do with how much entertainment it provides.

McGregor starched Aldo in 13 seconds to win the Featherweight belt after more than a year of build-up and it was glorious. Worth every penny.

A 10 minute exciting fight is much better than a 12 rounds snoozefest of a decision.
So like every mayweather fight.

Put a tenner on Floyd to win by KO, win before the 6th and Connor to go down at least once.

6 to 1 odds on that ain't bad.

Then put a fiver on Connor to win as a side bet. Both pay the same.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I still say it's going the full 12 with an obvious decision for Mayweather. I doubt the fight will even be all that interesting after the half way point once Conor gasses out.

Sephzilla

I still say it's going the full 12 with an obvious decision for Mayweather. I doubt the fight will even be all that interesting after the half way point once Conor gasses out.

Yeah, after round 5 or 6 it's going to become a real snoozefest unless Conor sandbags for a few rounds for a late fight surge

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I think I will be happy if either fighter gets destroyed. A patented Floyd decision borefest would be the worst outcome.

Sadly the most probable.

I would be ecstatic with a full round decision because I expect Floyd to batter him fast and early.

Jesus Christ that right hook was clean

Does Mayweather even have KO power anymore?

Anymore? He's always had relatively little KO power, pretty all of his tape guys point to his fragile hands/bones in his hands as the primary issue. Mayweather works around that by having surgical precision with god tier defense.

Throughout his career he's only KO'ed what? 3 people, unless we're including technicals. If we're talking TKO ability, of course, that's a cumulation of punches that have render you too fucked up to continue even if there isn't enough power to actually put you on your ass. If anything Floyd should pretty much retain that because of his god like accuracy and precision.

I'm buying this fight as a birthday gift for my brother. It better go longer than 10 minutes!

I've never watched let alone bought a fight before. I really don't care who wins - we're just excited to watch it for the spectacle, so I hope there is some.

I'm pretty ignorant about boxing and MMA but I can say, as a total outsider, just watching that most recent press conference, that McGregor came off as a lot more "scared." He seems pretty nervous.

Top Bottom