• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor - Saturday August 26th |OT| FOOK / YEAAAH

If it only lasts 10 minutes that means either Conor got KTFO or Floyd got KTFO, or some other fuckery occured. Either experience would be well worth the $100 tbh.

If this fight doesn't end in the first 3 rounds, McGregor will likely be gassed and the fight will pretty much be over. Floyd cardio is god tier.

I've got Connor winning this 1st round KO

giphy.gif

Bandini

The only way the fight doesn't make it past 4 rounds is if Conor hits the one in a million punch

I think it's far more likely Floyd just demolishes him in round 2 or 3. McGregor will be like a punching bag out there and Floyd won't stop as long as he's comfortable. McGregor has a good chin and a ton of heart though so yeah, probably going to drag out to middle rounds

PK Gaming

Considering how unbelievably shitty 2017 has been so far, I definitely see Conor pulling a miracle win and being a huge dick about it.

kodecraft

Yea the amount of folks who've been equating Paulie with Mayweather has been frustrating as shit.

I feel you, but it will also make the fight that much sweeter when they realize Mayweather and the science on boxing is on a whole other level.

You gotta be kidding me, I can't buy a ticket at any of the 3 big Cinemark locations in my area for this fight that isn't in the front row. This has never happened before, these screenings for the UFC/Boxing PPVs are usually empty. I think I underestimated how big this fight is.

Ah man, I've been going to the theater to watch Mayweather fights since 2011. I can watch Canelo there too. I don't drink and care for loud bars so that's why I go.

With that said, I'm glad I got my ticket earlier because I figured in the casuals who probably don't watch either sport will chime in on this. You got people who love events, and this is an event and they will be there.

Hope you find a solution.

commedieu

Banned
Considering how unbelievably shitty 2017 has been so far, I definitely see Conor pulling a miracle win and being a huge dick about it.

I've never picked up on him gloating after a win. I got the impression he talks a lot of shit, but is a decent winner, as well as loser.

Could be wrong..

rugioh

Banned

While I highly doubt that the status quo will not happen, there have been so many oddities in the past year in a half that are keeping me from betting on this fight.

Cubs winning World Series
Cavs coming back down 1-3 to win NBA Finals a year ago
Trump winning election
Ronda getting dunked by Nunes
Cruz getting styled on by NoLove

Meme magic is a very powerful thing, and I'm not messing with it no matter the odds anymore.

Moze

Banned
Has PPV in the US always been so expensive? It's mind blowing to me that anyone would pay $100 for any fight. Was it this expensive 10 years ago? 20 years ago?

commedieu

Banned
Has PPV in the US always been so expensive? It's mind blowing to me that anyone would pay $100 for any fight. Was it this expensive 10 years ago? 20 years ago?

It's been like 89.99 iirc. Depends on event I guess?

Also,

Is there going to be any other circus acts at the event? Or is it going to be 1 fight. Maybe tumbling dwarves... or a bearded woman, arm wrestling one armed anemic children?

ValfarHL

ChKxYHZ.jpg
[/IMG]
edb.jpg

This is from ESPN sports science. Given that one person usually weights 170 in his fights versus someone that is about 147 on average on fight night, this doesn't bode well for Conor at all. Floyd has been in the ring with people that hit much harder than this. This calls into question the chins of the people that Conor's been fighting. Just a few more days, can't wait.

Hahaha, this is some booooolshit

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
It's been like 89.99 iirc. Depends on event I guess?

Also,

Is there going to be any other circus acts at the event? Or is it going to be 1 fight. Maybe tumbling dwarves... or a bearded woman, arm wrestling one armed anemic children?

Hulk Hogan is wrestling a bear on the undercard

kodecraft

Hm, I like Paulie Malignaggi's angle of how this fight could go.

Connor has shown that he folds when the fight doesn't go his way. He will be looking for a way out of the fight of this happens. This could mean getting himself disqualified rather then finishing the full 12 rounds, Connor rather be controversial and have the fight end this way.

Expect Connor ignoring the ref, throwing too many rabbit punches, and possibly too much wrestling towards the ropes. He will lose point after point until the fight is waved off, disqualifying him.

Connor's post fight remarks will be along the line of "I lay down for nobody, you have to kill me in that ring" some shit like that.

So all in all, I'm expecting this fight not to go a full 12 nor possibly a KO for either fighter but some BS could happen where alot of us could feel robbed even paying for this.

Book it.

If Conor somehow wins he will walk into Dana's office on Monday, put his dick on the desk and ask for 25% of the company for his next fight.

Hm, I like Paulie Malignaggi's angle of how this fight could go.

Connor has shown that he folds when the fight doesn't go his way. He will be looking for a way out of the fight of this happens. This could mean getting himself disqualified rather then finishing the full 12 rounds, Connor rather be controversial and have the fight end this way.

Expect Connor ignoring the ref, throwing too many rabbit punches, and possibly too much wrestling towards the ropes. He will lose point after point until the fight is waved off, disqualifying him.

Connor's post fight remarks will be along the line of "I lay down for nobody, you have to kill me in that ring" some shit like that.

So all in all, I'm expecting this fight not to go a full 12 nor possibly a KO for either fighter but some BS could happen where alot of us could feel robbed even paying for this.

Book it.

He could be penalized by the NSAC and have his purse taken if he's DQ'd. This is not happening. Dana has even mentioned that there is a ton of language in the contract about Mayweather taking Conor to the cleaners if he gets himself DQ'd.

kodecraft

He could be penalized by the NSAC and have his purse taken if he's DQ'd. This is not happening. Dana has even mentioned that there is a ton of language in the contract about Mayweather taking Conor to the cleaners if he gets himself DQ'd.

Makes me feel better. But he could just quit on his stool at some point in the fight. Saving himself a KO or embarrassment.

If Conor somehow wins he will walk into Dana's office on Monday, put his dick on the desk and ask for 25% of the company for his next fight.

I thought the UFC is getting bought out. Dana will be out soon. This fight is the cash out.

Makes me feel better.

I thought the UFC is getting bought out. Dana will be out soon. This fight is the cash out.

UFC already got bought out by IMG. Dana kept his job. They are angling for a new tv deal in the next year or so iirc so they need all the draws they can get.

darscot

This whole Conor folds thing is laughable. He took a fight no one else would have taken. His game plan was to get Diaz out of there quickly and he underestimated Diaz chin. Tapping out is not folding, that is just internet tough guy talk.

commedieu

Banned
His comments in his loss to Diaz I felt were very impressive, he didn't make excuses he owned it. He is a promoter for sure but he seems like a very leveled person.

That's what I see. He has a woodpile of racist jokes/commentary/insults.(might be just for show, but walk like a duck and that) Which to me is ok, everyone isn't going to be respectful of others nationality/race. I enjoy his personality, he's a good fighter. Not going to win any sensitivity awards. And I won't be surprised if a tape shows up one day. But he takes a loss like a champ. Unlike say, comier.

He's playing a game to be a big draw. It works, and he isn't an asshole. When he very well could be.

kodecraft

This whole Conor folds thing is laughable. He took a fight no one else would have taken. His game plan was to get Diaz out of there quickly and he underestimated Diaz chin. Tapping out is not folding, that is just internet tough guy talk.

More then just "internet tough guy talk".

I'm going off Paulie's statement. He went 12 rounds with Conor apparently twice...and watching the All Access episodes you can see ref Joe Cortez telling Conor he wants to see him actually follow the rules this time....no rabbit punces and hitting behind the head. Connor was just like "yea...yea..yea".

So we'll see how it goes. Floyd doesn't have KO power but he is slippery in the ring and his accuracy is laser tier. Floyd's greatest skill to me is taking his opponents best weapons away. They start second guessing of what to throw at him after the first couple of rounds. He nullifies their best punch.

Connor has this big left punch everyone is speaking of and with good reason. But Floyd knows this and won't let him get it up to use it effectively. Then Conor will just be hesitant to throw.

Calderc

He folded when he shot for a take down against a BJJ black belt. He was gassed, he was rocked and he knew it was over.

He folded when he shot for a take down against a BJJ black belt. He was gassed, he was rocked and he knew it was over.

He was rocked and gassed and he panicked. It was a desperation move, and it was dumb, but I don't see it as "folding". People act like he quit on his stool or something.

Balboa

How long does it usually take between TV start time and the start of the fight with these PPV's? Trying to figure out how late i'd have to stay up

Joohanh

The pre-fight talk has been so full of fallacies it's hard to remember another fight that had so much stupidity said before it.

- "on paper floyd wins but when they get in the ring it will be different"
ALL YOU HAVE IS PAPER AT THIS POINT. THAT'S WHAT PAPER MEANS. It's estimating outcomes from the facts we know now. If you're not doing that, you're talking shit.

- "conor gonna have unorthodox style and gonna come from odd angles and surprise floyd"
In all sports there is only one style: one that works. If dozens of elite boxers didn't find a style that worked against Floyd, how are you fooling yourself that Conor would just magically possess it?

- "gotta give conor punchers chance"
...which is something that the other boxers that faced Floyd didn't have?

- "conor gon be bigger so he gon knock floyd tfo"
It's fucking boxing. Size matters in terms of reach, speed and punching power. It's not a modeling contest. Anyone who knows anything about boxing will say that being slightly lighter gives you an advantage in boxing.

Tom_Cody

How long does it usually take between TV start time and the start of the fight with these PPV's? Trying to figure out how late i'd have to stay up
About 2 hours. Expect the main event to start around 11 EST.

I put time estimates for each bout in the OP.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
The pre-fight talk has been so full of fallacies it's hard to remember another fight that had so much stupidity said before it.

- "on paper floyd wins but when they get in the ring it will be different"
ALL YOU HAVE IS PAPER AT THIS POINT. THAT'S WHAT PAPER MEANS. It's estimating outcomes from the facts we know now. If you're not doing that, you're talking shit.

- "conor gonna have unorthodox style and gonna come from odd angles and surprise floyd"
In all sports there is only one style: one that works. If dozens of elite boxers didn't find a style that worked against Floyd, how are you fooling yourself that Conor would just magically possess it?

- "gotta give conor punchers chance"
...which is something that the other boxers that faced Floyd didn't have?

- "conor gon be bigger so he gon knock floyd tfo"
It's fucking boxing. Size matters in terms of reach, speed and punching power. It's not a modeling contest. Anyone who knows anything about boxing will say that being slightly lighter gives you an advantage in boxing.

I think Gordon Strachan (former Scotland football player and manager) had a comment about being favourites on paper and that unfortunately for him it's played on grass.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

Some cable companies charged $70 for Tyson/Spinks in 1988.
That's like $148 now.
That fight was only around a minute and a half, too.

As an Irishman the over enunciated way McGregor talks irritates the shit out of me.

Jesus fuck yes. Nobody here actually talks like this. Its like he knows people have a hard time with heavy dub accents so he tries to slow it down and over pronounce every syllable. But when he's with his team he puts the dub accent back on. Drives me mental

Anth0ny

Apparently if Conor wins by knockout it would be the biggest loss in a single day in the history of the gambling industry. lol

About 2 hours. Expect the main event to start around 11 EST.

I put time estimates for each bout in the OP.

Nah, I don't think there's a chance it starts at 11 EST. More like 12-12:30. They always start late to maximize the ppv buys. I'd start watching around 11 though to be safe. There's a pretty damn good undercard as well, with Badou Jack vs Cleverly and Gervonta Davis.

Top Bottom