• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor - Saturday August 26th |OT| FOOK / YEAAAH

While I highly doubt that the status quo will not happen, there have been so many oddities in the past year in a half that are keeping me from betting on this fight.

Cubs winning World Series
Cavs coming back down 1-3 to win NBA Finals a year ago
Trump winning election
Ronda getting dunked by Nunes
Cruz getting styled on by NoLove

Meme magic is a very powerful thing, and I'm not messing with it no matter the odds anymore.

This really wasn't an oddity.

Hm, I like Paulie Malignaggi's angle of how this fight could go.

Connor has shown that he folds when the fight doesn't go his way. He will be looking for a way out of the fight of this happens. This could mean getting himself disqualified rather then finishing the full 12 rounds, Connor rather be controversial and have the fight end this way.

Expect Connor ignoring the ref, throwing too many rabbit punches, and possibly too much wrestling towards the ropes. He will lose point after point until the fight is waved off, disqualifying him.

Connor's post fight remarks will be along the line of "I lay down for nobody, you have to kill me in that ring" some shit like that.

So all in all, I'm expecting this fight not to go a full 12 nor possibly a KO for either fighter but some BS could happen where alot of us could feel robbed even paying for this.

Book it.

He will 100% fight as dirty as he can get away with without getting DQ'd. You think he paid for Joe Cortez to ref every fight to learn the rules? He could just read them. It was to know how much he could bend the rules. We already saw small clips from sparring with him pushing the rules. We know he got 2 points taken on the Paulie spar. He's not going in there to box.

He's talked about how he's gonna be like water in there a true martial artist. He's gonna use every resource available to him within the rules in there. I'm almost convinced he's gonna block a shot from Mayweather with his forehead to hurt his hands. Watch the whole 8oz glove thing be 4D chess just designed to hurt Mayweather's brittle hands.

Thing is we have no idea what McGregor is gonna come up with and that's why we're buying this.

I want pure fuckery out of this match. McGregor throws in the towel in the first round. Walk out knowing 100mil is waiting for him. 😂😂😂

He will 100% fight as dirty as he can get away with without getting DQ'd. You think he paid for Joe Cortez to ref every fight to learn the rules? He could just read them. It was to know how much he could bend the rules. We already saw small clips from sparring with him pushing the rules. We know he got 2 points taken on the Paulie spar. He's not going in there to box.

He's talked about how he's gonna be like water in there a true martial artist. He's gonna use every resource available to him within the rules in there. I'm almost convinced he's gonna block a shot from Mayweather with his forehead to hurt his hands. Watch the whole 8oz glove thing be 4D chess just designed to hurt Mayweather's brittle hands.

Thing is we have no idea what McGregor is gonna come up with and that's why we're buying this.

4D chess baby! He's gonna be slipperier than Mayweather once he becomes one with water in the ring. Be like some shadow jutsi.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Unorthodox shit isn't put into use by the best of tent best for a reason. This isn't an anime.

Unorthodox shit isn't put into use by the best of tent best for a reason. This isn't an anime.
While maybe not in the sense that Conor is talking about, we've seen Lomachenko and Rigondeux recently making waves with unorthodox styles

And saying everyone would do it is a fallacy. It takes years and years of dedication to develop a style, and most coaches are not going to teach outside of the safest methodology for success. That doesn't mean that somebody who actually does break the mould can't come in and dominate. By your logic, everyone would be fighting like Conor now in the UFC if it were so simple

HStallion

While maybe not in the sense that Conor is talking about, we've seen Lomachenko and Rigondeux recently making waves with unorthodox styles

And saying everyone would do it is a fallacy. It takes years and years of dedication to develop a style, and most coaches are not going to teach outside of the safest methodology for success. That doesn't mean that somebody who actually does break the mould can't come in and dominate. By your logic, everyone would be fighting like Conor now in the UFC if it were so simple

No my point is that this is like a Rugby team playing the New England Patriots in a football game with football rules and trying trick plays. They might work for the better football teams out there but its not going to do much for the Rugby team, let alone relying on that shit to get an advantage, let alone win. Its eye rolling hearing about unorthodox shit in a boxing match from a guy in his first time to the sport.

This isn't even going into the fact that most of unorthodox stuff you hear about is pretty tried and true boxing strategy that is made to sound like its something new like clinching a lot and using his size to tire out Floyd or even dumber stuff like using a karate stance, whatever the fuck that's supposed to do. Its a boxing match, there are strict rules and unorthodox means little when you can't beat them straight away.

No my point is that this is like a Rugby team playing the New England Patriots in a football game with football rules and trying trick plays. They might work for the better football teams out there but its not going to do much for the Rugby team, let alone relying on that shit to get an advantage, let alone win. Its eye rolling hearing about unorthodox shit in a boxing match from a guy in his first time to the sport.

This isn't even going into the fact that most of unorthodox stuff you hear about is pretty tried and true boxing strategy that is made to sound like its something new like clinching a lot and using his size to tire out Floyd or even dumber stuff like using a karate stance, whatever the fuck that's supposed to do. Its a boxing match, there are strict rules and unorthodox means little when you can't beat them straight away.
1. It's not that far apart. It's more like a rugby union team against a rugby league team. Very similar sport with minor differences in the rule set and what is allowed. Many players make the transition seamlessly between codes

The unorthodox idea comes from the fact that boxing IQ also is heavily embedded in predicting the way a boxer moves. A guy like Floyd can toy with opponents because boxers all move in such a predictable way. Pivots, slips, stances are all fairly standard. A guy who doesn't conform to the norm means a lot of those strategies become harder to use for Floyd

And I'd also put forward It's not because he is from a different discipline or is going to use a karate stance, it's because Conor has an unorthodox striking style to begin with even amongst UFC fighters. He uses deceptive speed and pacing, slow to fast in an instant. He has deceptive reach because of his habit of disconnecting the shoulder. He sets you up like a chess master. And he is a master of movement. He doesn't make mistakes in that regard.

Does this mean Conor will win? No. But it does add some interest how something like the style that has dismantled two divisions in the UFC will hold up in a boxing match

HStallion

1. It's not that far apart. It's more like a rugby union team against a rugby league team. Very similar sport with minor differences in the rule set and what is allowed. Many players make the transition seamlessly between codes

The unorthodox idea comes from the fact that boxing IQ also is heavily embedded in predicting the way a boxer moves. A guy like Floyd can toy with opponents because boxers all move in such a predictable way. Pivots, slips, stances are all fairly standard. A guy who doesn't conform to the norm means a lot of those strategies become harder to use for Floyd

And I'd also put forward It's not because he is from a different discipline or is going to use a karate stance, it's because Conor has an unorthodox striking style to begin with even amongst UFC fighters. He uses deceptive speed and pacing, slow to fast in an instant. He has deceptive reach because of his habit of disconnecting the shoulder. He sets you up like a chess master. And he is a master of movement. He doesn't make mistakes in that regard.

Does this mean Conor will win? No. But it does add some interest how something like the style that has dismantled two divisions in the UFC will hold up in a boxing match

Boxing and MMA have similarities because they're both combat sports based on martial arts but they are extremely different in a lot of very significant ways. I picked a good great rugby team playing against an all star football team in Football for this reason, similar in a lot of basic ideas but the actual sports are extremely different in their focuses, strategies, etc. What Conor did in MMA is incredible but that means little in the boxing ring against Floyd Mayweather if he can't out fought him in a boxing match. I'd also add what works for Conor in MMA isn't going to mean nearly as much in a boxing match against one of the all time greats who has dismantled the best of the best in the sport. If Conor hopes being unorthodox is going to do much for him I just have to shake my head.

Tom_Cody

Staredown photo from the final press conference:

HzWHQu8.jpg

SheHateMe

I'm predicting a Dusty Finish.
I already know Floyd will win this, but I gotta play conspiracy theorist for a moment.

I think they will try to drag this out to a second fight, and what better way to do it then to cliffhang the first fight?

Something screwy will happen and they will have an unfinished fight to draw for the second fight.

ONCE IN A LIFETIME.... AGAIN.

If Floyd is that desperate for money, why not take a dive and get a trilogy out of this and ensure at least a billion dollars out of it?

Nobody gives a damn about reputation and pride when you're talking about 1 billion dollars.

F34R

If Floyd is that desperate for money, why not take a dive and get a trilogy out of this and ensure at least a billion dollars out of it?

Nobody gives a damn about reputation and pride when you're talking about 1 billion dollars.

I wouldn't take a dive for money at all, much less an amateur boxer.

He cares about this record,rep,etc don't let him fool you. It will be dumb too since I doubt most will fall for it and pay again. People thought this for pacquiao and it didn't happen.

What does that pay out? $150?

Been a while since i posted in anything related to this, but since we close i'm gonna call it and say Mayweather wins but on points. Gonna bet minimum on Conor though cuz MMA pride.

I watch judo, jiujitsu and MMA all the time but I've never watched an entire boxing match ever

Just put 3k on Mayweather. I don't even like the guy but the thought of taking money from all the fucking morons who somehow think this will be a fight is as close to catharsis as I can possibly get against the ignorant masses I encounter in day to day life.

____

Nobody would care what the result was in a rematch. Mayweather loses once and it’s the story for the rest of eternity.

Fuck if he could beat the guy the next time they fight. Even if he did win, they’d be 1-1 and what would be the point. Still no clear “winner”.

That said, Conor has precisely a 0% chance of a win here.

i am going to be jumping around going nuts when conor lands dat left hand

Delusion is a bad thing my friend. He can land it and still wouldn't ko floyd, floyd has fought power punchers such as cotto and canelo and even they couldn't hurt him. Shane mosley caught him with a good one and it didn't hurt floyd, floyd can take punches.

Top Bottom