• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football 2014/2015 |OT13| Lightning returns, check your PMs, there is no kick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rikkun

I really want to see Only God Forgives. The critical reception genuinely intrigues me. I thought Drive was good and Bronson superb so I might as well take a punt.

After loving Drive I brought my friends to see this.

It's a short movie but fuck it felt like I've been in there for 3 hours.
Never saw that again, but I'd like to.

This is what I think about Only God Forgives.

Also, you guys, please talk about football because you don't know shit about vidya and moveez, Pacific Rim is the GOAT, same as Elba. You should be forced to watch Transformers movies starring Ben Stiller and Adam Sandler for the rest of your life.

And Father Ted is amazing

And I also really like Drive and OGF

Style over substance in a palatable way, not a Pacific Rim way

I'd take Pacific Rim over Refn's work all the way, even with PR's terrible cheesy acting, direction and obvious plot. At least the action was well built and choreographed.

Refn's films are some of the few I would genuinely describe as pretentious, and I fucking hate the prevalent use of that word these days.

Wilbur

Banned
I'd take Pacific Rim over Refn's work all the way, even with PR's terrible cheesy acting, direction and obvious plot. At least the action was well built and choreographed.

Refn's films are some of the few I would genuinely describe as pretentious, and I fucking hate the prevalent use of that word these days.

I expected to absolutely hate OGF but it was so barmy it won me over. It's short enough that it doesn't overstay its welcome, it has a nice little turn from Scott-Thomas, and I had no idea what Refn was trying to say with it. Its entertaining, and has such little depth that I didn't take it seriously. Enjoyed it in that regard.

Pacific Rim has one good scene, and even then its hard to see what is fucking going on. Like Topo says, no movie about robots fighting monsters should be so boring, but it is. Disgraceful writing, every set piece but one is by the numbers rote choreography, and the fucking climax takes place underwater where its darker than Mamadou Sakho's penis.

Hixx

completely agree.

Rikkun

I was about to watch 'Birdman' (fucking finally), but this girl asked me out in fb. We're going to a beer place. Last time I went out with her (again, she asked me) she told she has a boyfriend

help me understand

Kiss her on the cheek and put your hands around her waist when you meet.
Engage in small talk and after a little ask her how she's doing with her boyfriend.
When she starts saying things she doens't like about their relationship mock her and support his views (you should be two beers in when this happens) but turn serious when you're at the zenit of the banter and say something to support her and shoot all of his actions down.

Report back to us so that you can be crowned the new Ricky. Go forth my young padawan.

Spoiler alert: you'll have a lot of people trying to hunt you down in a couple months if everything goes as planned.

Pennywise

I was about to watch 'Birdman' (fucking finally), but this girl asked me out in fb. We're going to a beer place. Last time I went out with her (again, she asked me) she told she has a boyfriend

help me understand
She wants to live off your wealth.

I really want to see Only God Forgives. The critical reception genuinely intrigues me. I thought Drive was good and Bronson superb so I might as well take a punt.

It's a great movie if you see all the symbolism he works with, but there are alot of directors who integrate a plot,symbolism and style way better like Chan-wook Park.
Refn clearly overdid it compared to Drive.

Lunar FC

Engage in small talk and after a little ask her how she's doing with her boyfriend.
When she starts saying things she doens't like about their relationship mock her and support his views (you should be two beers in when this happens) but turn serious when you're at the zenit of the banter and say something to support her and shoot all of his actions down.

Report back to us so that you can be crowned the new Ricky. Go forth my young padawan.

Spoiler alert: you'll have a lot of people trying to hunt you down in a couple months if everything goes as planned.

I'm correct in assuming that kissing strangers on the cheek in rather normal in europe? Because following this advice in america is a sure fire way to get slapped.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

Refn crawled so far up his own arse after Drive nobody has seen him since.

Only God Forgives is honestly one of the worst films I've ever seen

Drive is decent though. I'll give him that.

faridmon

I really liked Drive when I have watched it in the cinema.

and then realised there are so many plot holes in the story.

for starters: How there aren't any police in the vicinity even though shit load of people died and explosions goes off like evry 10 min or so?

faridmon

I'm correct in assuming that kissing strangers on the cheek in rather normal in europe? Because following this advice in america is a sure fire way to get slapped.

Calling someone a ''cunt'' is also way of showing affection in Europe.

Its a different world out here.

wedward

for starters: How there aren't any police in the vicinity even though shit load of people died and explosions goes off like evry 10 min or so?

I can't remember any explosions. Maybe my memory is going.

I expected to absolutely hate OGF but it was so barmy it won me over. It's short enough that it doesn't overstay its welcome, it has a nice little turn from Scott-Thomas, and I had no idea what Refn was trying to say with it. Its entertaining, and has such little depth that I didn't take it seriously. Enjoyed it in that regard.

Pacific Rim has one good scene, and even then its hard to see what is fucking going on. Like Topo says, no movie about robots fighting monsters should be so boring, but it is. Disgraceful writing, every set piece but one is by the numbers rote choreography, and the fucking climax takes place underwater where its darker than Mamadou Sakho's penis.

Idk man, more than anything that makes me think you saw a really bad copy or something. I found the action to be really well framed, paced and lit.

I don't think he thinks it is a movie with a lot of depth.

Well, if the movie doesn't have some unspoken depths and inferences/references towards explorations of male hero stereotypes then I think it's a kinda incomprehensible movie. Especially when so many characters are so taciturn. Taken at face value... well... it's not far off like watching a modern day Valhalla Rising.

Then again I've read a lot about how he took Jodowsky as an influence and I honestly don't particularly value or enjoy Jodowsky's take on hero figures even though I find him interesting.

Zabojnik

I use Firefox and will probably continue to do us. But how the fuck is Chrome STILL having problems with gifs??? It's been an issue for as long as I can remember, wtf.

Rikkun

Yep, totally common. Sometimes (rarely) man to man too.
Different sex and girl/girl is pretty common, it's not seen as something sex-related.
Ricky, you're on fire. I love you.
I love you too Zabo, even tho I had to disconnect my PS4 to play Yakuza 4. I needed some of that CHOTTO MATTE, YAMERO life.

Elchele

:lol
That sounds very specific. Had a good laugh while reading it

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I use Firefox and will probably continue to do us. But how the fuck is Chrome STILL having problems with gifs??? It's been an issue for as long as I can remember, wtf.

It's because of the way Chrome deals with page rendering. A couple of years ago it moved everything to separate process so say a page is full of gifs and shit the browser doesn't crash and become unresponsive. The downside is those gifs and shit take fucking forever to work.

It's probably never going to get fixed in a way that makes people happy. It's a tradeoff.

of course the other problem is people don't know how to make gifs properly and end up posting 15MB images that annihilate your cpu.

FootballFan

Calling someone a ''cunt'' is also way of showing affection in Europe.

Its a different world out here.

Over here in NZ a few years ago, calling someone a GC(good cunt) was very common when you did a good deed lol.

Some people still say it of course.

Some mericans made the craziest faces when they got called good cunts lol.

Is watching all 22 episodes in season two of Twin Peaks worth it? I was kind of over it after the first season.

If you didn't like season one....you won'tike season 2. Also, If you didn't like season 1, you don't know what's good m8

I've had enough of chrome. Stated that 20 times already here lol. Always had to switch back to Firefox because chrome would crash too often.

Just gonna stick with Firefox now.

Scum

Free and pulga, I'm disgusted.
No Lazarus' Pit?

ngDCi9a.png

Scum

It's because of the way Chrome deals with page rendering. A couple of years ago it moved everything to separate process so say a page is full of gifs and shit the browser doesn't crash and become unresponsive. The downside is those gifs and shit take fucking forever to work.

It's probably never going to get fixed in a way that makes people happy. It's a tradeoff.

of course the other problem is people don't know how to make gifs properly and end up posting 15MB images that annihilate your cpu.

Apparently, the new browser from MS is looking good.

Elchele

I have a question about Quantum of Solace.

I watched it in the cinema (what a surprise innit), and like the first 10-15 minutes or so I couldn't quite get the whole picture of what was happening. There were so many fast shots in seconds that I couldn't get it all

anyone else had this issue or was I too close to the screen?

Rikkun

Ricky, you are moving up on my list.

Sensational taste and opinions.

On fire.

image.php

thanks FF

What

There's no explosions/shootings until.. maybe last 30 minutes or so?
Is watching all 22 episodes in season two of Twin Peaks worth it? I was kind of over it after the first season.

It gets weaker after S2E10 because Lynch was forced to do something something, but I liked the second part too.
I've read about a 5 hours supercut made by some fan that should cover the base plot leaving the cheesy drama out and such, but I'd suggest the complete package if you can stomach it.

Also best girl

fenndetails.jpg

Audrey.

I had a girl with those eyebrows.
I feel old.

Scum

TRANSFER GOSSIP
The agent of Juventus midfielder Paul Pogba, 21, believes he will break Cristiano Ronaldo's £80m transfer record if he leaves the Italian club this summer. (Daily Express)
Chelsea are considering a surprise move to bring Wolfsburg midfielder Kevin de Bruyne, 23, back to the club. (Sportwereld - in Flemish)
The Blues' 22-year-old winger Mohamed Salah, who is on loan at Italian side Fiorentina, says he has no plans to return to Stamford Bridge. (Talksport)
Barcelona defender Dani Alves, 31, is keen to secure a move to Manchester United with no sign of a new contract at the Nou Camp. (Daily Express)
Paris St-Germain are ready to sell strikers Edinson Cavani, 27, and Ezequiel Lavezzi, 29, to finance a move for Manchester United winger Angel Di Maria, 26. (Daily Star)

OTHER GOSSIP
Steven Gerrard wants Liverpool to secure attacker Raheem Sterling, 20, and midfielder Jordan Henderson, 24, to longer contracts at Anfield as quickly as possible. (Liverpool Echo)
Manuel Pellegrini has urged striker Stevan Jovetic, 25, to prove his fitness if he wants to remain at Manchester City. (Metro)
Striker Harry Kane, 21, sees no reason why he cannot spend the rest of his professional career at Tottenham. (London Evening Standard)
Tim Sherwood will watch QPR's home game against Southampton from the stands at Loftus Road as he closes in on the manager's job. (Daily Mirror)
Liverpool defender Mamadou Sakho, 24, says he never considered leaving the club, despite his derby day walk-out at Anfield in September. (Guardian)

BEST OF SOCIAL MEDIA
Arsenal midfielder Mesut Ozil did his best to wind up Tottenham fans ahead of Saturday's derby, tweeting: "Planned venue: White Hart Lane - Planned action: robbing three points!"
Remember the best birthday cake you have had? How does it compare to Neymar's extravagant effort? The Barcelona forward turned 23 on Thursday and posted this picture on Instagram of his impressive dessert, with a mini-Neymar and his trademark hat among the decorations.

AND FINALLY...
A Canadian university plans to include the study of Real Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo, 30, as the main strand of a new degree course. (Turnstyle+)
LA Galaxy fans may be looking forward to Steven Gerrard, 34, joining their club from Liverpool at the end of the season, but it could cost them up to £134 to have their new signing's name on a shirt. (Daily Mirror)

Wilbur

Banned

Are you sure you didn't watch Drive Angry instead

I remember the gun shots at the convenience store (and they get away and there is no witnesses so I don't need to see the police involved)

Then the bit in the motel room, its over quick, he gets away. Police probably did end up there, don't need to see that happen to imagine it did.

Then the scene in the lift which is in an enclosed space which is owned by mobsters so I don't know why the police would be involved there either.

Can't remember any explosions.

What an odd criticism.

Wilbur

Banned
Idk man, more than anything that makes me think you saw a really bad copy or something. I found the action to be really well framed, paced and lit.

Well, if the movie doesn't have some unspoken depths and inferences/references towards explorations of male hero stereotypes then I think it's a kinda incomprehensible movie. Especially when so many characters are so taciturn. Taken at face value... well... it's not far off like watching a modern day Valhalla Rising.

Then again I've read a lot about how he took Jodowsky as an influence and I honestly don't particularly value or enjoy Jodowsky's take on hero figures even though I find him interesting.

Saw it in the cinema fam. Was dull as dishwater.

Get why people don't like OGF. I don't know why I like it myself really. Just found it pretty fun and memorable.

Really like Drive though. Nice, tight little thriller with some good acting, great soundtrack that isn't the best film ever and no one should ever wear that fucking scorpion jacket if you aren't Gosling, but it's good fun.

I remember the gun shots at the convenience store (and they get away and there is no witnesses so I don't need to see the police involved)

Then the bit in the motel room, its over quick, he gets away. Police probably did end up there, don't need to see that happen to imagine it did.

Then the scene in the lift which is in an enclosed space which is owned by mobsters so I don't know why the police would be involved there either.

What an odd criticism.

Fucking hell, he's talking about Drive Angry isn't he? :lol:lol

Elchele

What an odd criticism.

:lol

Yeah, farid got me worry. I don't remember any explosions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom