• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football |OT8| Gambling

Arnie

You say the criticism was that he's not flexible enough, but he's pushed Dempsey up next to Defoe a few times to go 4-4-2 during games. Wasn't the criticism was that he wasn't flexible enough during games? Because then why would he go 4-4-2 from the start against Arsenal? I don't think anyone would have criticised him if he went 4-2-3-1 from the start. I can see why you don't like him if you think he's going against his better judgement and listening to the media by going 4-4-2. But I disagree, and he would lose a ton of credibility if that were the case. And playing our best striker and top goalscorer from last season was a risk? That's insane. It's easy to say that in hindsight, but he scored and didn't get sent off last season. Was that also risk?

It was a risk because as AVB said himself, there's always a chance that playing someone against a former club could have a negative effect. The negative effect in this case was an overexcited challenge that got him sent off and could've ultimately cost Spurs the points.

The criticism, which streamed into the BBC's live text during the Wigan match was from fans and pundits alike that AVB is against playing two out and out strikers, Defoe and Ade in particular, together. I've not said whether I agree with that criticism, I haven't seen enough of Spurs to judge such a thing (I assume those criticising have), but from my perspective, seeing AVB playing those two strikers together two weeks later stood out as an admission to outside pressure, especially when one striker worked so well for large parts against City. Why make such a bold, unproven switch in a game of such magnitude when the week before your preferred system worked so well?

And it's a myth that I don't like AVB. As Wilbury said yesterday, he's one of the few tacticians in the league currently, I like him by default because of that. I can't say that his decision to play with the two strikers against Spurs was a bad one either, and I haven't done that. I have noted that to me, because of the reasons I've given, it looks like he was influenced into changing his system.

My point about Rodgers is that he changed the system during the match (he said so himself in that quote) that people here said wasn't working before the match. But that's not criticism influencing his decision? Double standards in my opinion.
This is just wrong. Nobody said before the match that we shouldn't be playing a midfield three of Gerrard, Allen, and Suso. In fact that's a new combination that came about following Suso's impressive cameo against Chelsea. Unfortuantely, given the position of Wigan's midfield it wasn't as effective, so he changed it and 'flipped the triangle'. He changed a new setup that wasn't working, not changing something that had long been criticised. No double standards at all.

FootballFan

Doing good, he came back today after a month long injury. It's a shame that he only played the last 15 minutes of the game, he looked really dangerous and almost scored with a fifa finesse shot from outside the box, but Agazzi (who's better than Buffon when he is against us) saved it.

Oh nice. I like Coutinho, did well at Espanyol too.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
izwDBa0UzNguK.gif

Best gif ever oh my

Hixx

Yeeeeeah baby

Berbatov so much better than everyone else on that pitch but who gives a shit when you get beat 8)

Yen

Don't tell popGAF, but from what I've read about Rihanna's new album, she is using domestic abuse for monetary gain.

Is he injure prone?

He could become your own Pato!
Not really, some Partizan player almost broke his tibia with a bad tackle.
He kind of was injury prone(or so we thought) when he first arrived here, but i think it was more the fact that he didn't have the chance to play more than 1 match a month than him being made of glass. When he was at Espanyol last year he never got injured.

PS: Milan Lab ruined Pato, he wasn't so injury prone a couple of years ago.
It's the week of goalkeepers isn't it? Marchetti was bending time and space with some of his miraculous saves.
Probably, never liked Marchetti that much, i remember him being terrible at the last world cup.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
PAGING FACISM

Cuneyt Çakir has been assigned to Tuesday’s Juventus-Chelsea Champions League match.
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

KuGsj.gif

181480hp2.jpg

PAGING FACISM

Cuneyt Çakir has been assigned to Tuesday’s Juventus-Chelsea Champions League match.
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

KuGsj.gif

He was pretty great in Barca - Chelsea last season. Even if Terry was unjustified sent off, he was just trying to massage Sanchez back with his knee. He only fell for Barcas diving once, another ref would have given a few more penalties.

Zamparini: “I am absolutely not going to change the Coach, he is not at risk and will stay where he is for a long time.”

He need to stay there for 2 weeks then he can go where he wants. :D

dc89

Incredible new chant invented by United fans. Sung to the tune of Robbie Williams - Candy

"Hey Ho Chico Cost 6 Mil from Mexico Always offside when he scores a goal Better than Aguerooooo"

Top Bottom