• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football |OT8| Gambling

FootballFan

Having a few drinks to dull the pain of losing my cat :( I miss him so :(

Oh shit man I had no idea, just went through your thread again and saw your post.

So sorry Messi, really that is just really sad. :( That vet man..

I suggest you get a new cat, you can never replace a pet but a new one will make you feel much better.

Clegg

Welbeck had a very good game. Powell played well enough that I'd like him to be picked ahead of Giggs.

Giggs has the better final ball but Powell has more energy and will improve with more experience.

bud

Save Chelsea, what the hell lol. Possible going out of CL (pls win against Juve, Cunthar) is a disaster, but you make it sound like the whole team is doomed. The front for Chelsea is new and a new playstyle has been introduced this season, I'm kind of surprised it has gone as well as it has in Premier League so far.

what new playing style, though? oscar and hazard were added to the team, and sure, the inclusion of those two adds a bit more refinement to chelsea's attacking force. but other than that, it's practically the same old team with the way they're playing.

if they really wanted to change the way they play, they should've bought a ball-playing central defender and a central midfielder who isn't entirely useless when he has the ball. why, chelsea, why? why do you persist with mikel?

and of course, let us not forget that di matteo is a disgraceful manager, and a lousy tactician, and that he needs to be fired immediately. of course, i will wire transfer ten pounds to help pay for his resignation.

Whilst Torres not being good enough to lead the line for Chelsea is pretty clear, I agree they are missing more than that. They need some higher quality personnel in central midfield, especially since Lamps has faded away. Been relying way too long on Ramires/Mikel and it's been a surprise it worked so well during the first part of the season. Mikel definitely stepped up his game but Chelsea would be looking for something more. Someone of Essien quality at his peak. Romeu has looked terrible when given the chance to play this season.

Central defence is another point of concern for sure. Terry is out, no one knows if he can come back at his best. Even then, he's not getting any younger. Luiz-Cahill is your best duo and it's looked shaky quite frequently.

Chelsea have been over reliant on their magical trio. It's felt like Hazard/Oscar/Mata, Cech and the fullbacks have been carrying the team for a while.

Moses and Marin could possibly offer more options to RDM, no idea why he doesn't play them much. Marin looked promising during pre season.
I have no idea why we don't play Ivan and Cahill and the back.

Edit: and I agree with everything else you've said.

what new playing style, though? oscar and hazard were added to the team, and sure, the inclusion of those two adds a bit more refinement to chelsea's attacking force. but other than that, it's practically the same old team with the way they're playing.

if they really wanted to change the way they play, they should've bought a ball-playing central defender and a central midfielder who isn't entirely useless when he has the ball. why, chelsea, why? why do you persist with mikel?

and of course, let us not forget that di matteo is a disgraceful manager, and a lousy tactician, and that he needs to be fired immediately. of course, i will wire transfer ten pounds to help pay for his resignation.
Mikel has probably been one of our most solid players this season. Really stepped it up.

Huntelaar? Llorente? Both have been having issues with contract negotiations IIRC. Either would do a job much better than Torres has done for you guys so far.

I see we're being heavily linked to Sturridge again today. I know he's not doing great right now, but surely Chelsea wouldn't be stupid enough to sell their backup striker in January when the primary one is in such horrendous form and likely to be sold himself.

I think its pretty clear the guys running the club haven't got a fucking clue what they're doing when it comes to transfers. The money we could have saved over the years if we had a proper infrastructure at the top. Our DoF is a failed scout ffs. Selling Sturridge wouldn't make a difference, he looked better than Torres against WBA but I don't think hes good enough either with his selfishness on the ball.

We've got some great players. but it didn't take a football wizard to see Hazard/Oscar/Mata were good/great players etc. Its also shown by the fact that no-one apart from Bertrand has in any way come through the ranks since John Terry (and even Bertrand was bought from Gillingham).

Theres no real goal at the club in my opinion its all "WIN THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE THIS SEASON OR ELSE" and we win it and the guy who does it gets a 2 year contract? They talk about long term sustainability, the £1.4m profit etc etc but they're not really doing it on the pitch which is where the entire business comes from.

I have no idea if Falcao is the answer, for the first time I think im lost as to how exactly to solve the issues within the team. Sell Luiz? Sign another centre back? Change formation? Replace Mikel? I hope RDM/Abramovich have better ideas.

It's really not. But it' also a process and it doesn't happen over night, if you can't see the changes made to Chelseas style you're crazy. Lampard has already shown he's unable to really carry over with the new style and is being played less and less.

tif they really wanted to change the way they play, they should've bought a ball-playing central defender and a central midfielder who isn't entirely useless when he has the ball. why, chelsea, why? why do you persist with mikel?

That happened already, Chelsea bought Luiz. Cahill is not bad on the ball either at all and no way Terry would agree to leave the club. So pretty hard to do much different there. Changing the play style doesn't necessarily mean going full on Bielsa. Mikel has been pretty good, no idea what other defensive minded central midfielder Chelsea could have any hope of getting (Yeah Busquets isn't leaving) right now.

Chelseas premier league start has been more than acceptable and there's no need to "save" anything.

bud

that's because lampard is a has-been. he's old, he's not good enough anymore. and i do see that the've made changes, but it's not enough which is what i'm saying.

luiz... cahill... mikel... if you have players like that in the centre of your team, it's going to be hard to play fluid football in europe against the better sides.

Can we somehow get more Juan Mata's?

Edit: again, Mikel has been absolutely fine this season. He's done the job that's expected of him. Also, this criticism of Gary Cahill? He's fine. Luiz is the only one of those three I'd dump in a heartbeat. I like the idea of him, but it doesn't seem to be working out.

It's really not. But it' also a process and it doesn't happen over night, if you can't see the changes made to Chelseas style you're crazy. Lampard has already shown he's unable to really carry over with the new style and is being played less and less.

That happened already, Chelsea bought Luiz. Cahill is not bad on the ball either at all and no way Terry would agree to leave the club. So pretty hard to do much different there. Changing the play style doesn't necessarily mean going full on Bielsa. Mikel has been pretty good, no idea what other defensive minded central midfielder Chelsea could have any hope of getting (Yeah Busquets isn't leaving) right now.

Chelseas premier league start has been more than acceptable and there's no need to "save" anything.

Is buying Luis, really buying a ball playing defender?

And it´s not like you need the best ball playing central midfielder in the world to be a step above mikel(when we are talking about playing the ball and keeping possesion.)

Moobabe

The problem we have is we don't compete for the ball higher up the pitch.

Looks at Barca as an example - the players that hurt you are guys like Messi, Pedro, Villa etc but they can only damage a side in the final third. There's no point in dropping off sides and letting them have the ball in their own half - it means when you DO win it you're flair players (Oscar, Hazard and Mata) have to travel half the length of the pitch to mount any threat to goal. Those 3 need to be behind a centre forward who is willing to pressure defends into making mistakes, Mikel and Ramires need to press the ball quicker as well - sitting off teams means that they can hurt you.

Mikel has been better this year - but he needs a manager who knows what he wants from his as a player. He doesn't have the range of passing to play like De Rossi, Pirlo or Scholes - and doesn't have the energy to be a Ramires, but he can do SOMETHING surely, and if not we should sell him.

Ferreira is still on the books, so he can go, and sell Torres, Malouda, Lampard and Cole (who hasn't performed well in weeks.)

We can recall Lukaku in January and I'd persist with him and Sturridge until the end of the season. They're both dangerous players that cause problems for the opposition and, with a run of games, would score goals.

Clegg

Banned paper reporting that Chelsea are ready to let RDM go. Their main target is Guardiola and if they can't get him their second choice is....................

Rafa

Banned paper reporting that Chelsea are ready to let RDM go. Their main target is Guardiola and if they can't get him their second choice is....................

Rafa
Ballague says that last season they offered Rafa a 3 month deal and told him he would then have to step aside if they got Pep.

Fry

iJ9kqUyzM91vY.gif

Great touch by Gomez. Possibly his first of the match as well.

elsk

Banned
[IfMG]http://i.minus.com/iJ9kqUyzM91vY.gif[/IMG]

Great touch by Gomez. Possibly his first of the match as well.

He was actually pretty good in his cameo appearance today. Hoping to see good performances from him now that he has competition.

Kroos is shit

BFTGT Blog ‏@BFTGT
Materazzi: "Mourinho was number one. When told me that he was leaving I said to him: 'Damn you for leaving me with Benitez.'"

Amazing.

that's because lampard is a has-been. he's old, he's not good enough anymore. and i do see that the've made changes, but it's not enough which is what i'm saying.

luiz... cahill... mikel... if you have players like that in the centre of your team, it's going to be hard to play fluid football in europe against the better sides.

Lampard was pretty damn great when AVB went out last season. Did you see that pass for Ramires goal against Barca? So good.

Again : Chelsea are not going Bielsa and shouldn't try to, a few players not having Matas skills on the ball isn't a disaster for a team trying to play fluid football. Really pretty much all top teams in Europe got players like that except Barca. My whole point was again though that Chelsea doesn't need to be saved and not that everything is perfect at the club.

Is buying Luis, really buying a ball playing defender?

And it´s not like you need the best ball playing central midfielder in the world to be a step above mikel(when we are talking about playing the ball and keeping possesion.)

If there's anything Mikel is fucking great at, it's exactly keeping posession. So many times last CL he held on to the ball in what seemed like pretty bad situations, until another player offered himself for him. He isn't a great passer at all and Chelsea could no doubt use better, I also have no doubt it will happen, only having Romeu and Mikel for that role is laughable.

And yeah, Luiz is buying a ball playing defender. Gotta be pretty thick to think otherwise, even if you think he makes too many mistakes.

Rafa

Even if it's a banned paper and all... That makes me pretty nervous. If Rafa comes Chelsea really does need to be saved.

Meier

Looks like that goal by Shakhtar that was so confusing was meant to be passed back to the keeper as a showing of sportsmanship but Adriano pounced on the "pass" and ran took it in for the score. :lol

LegoArmo

Bit disappointed tonight. If Benfica win at the Nou Camp, they're through. Barcelona are already through, but I hope our Catalan brethren do us a favour.

Then Celtic just need to better Benfica's result at home to the worst team in the group. It sounds easy, right? But this is the Glasgow Celtic.

If there's anything Mikel is fucking great at, it's exactly keeping posession. So many times last CL he held on to the ball in what seemed like pretty bad situations, until another player offered himself for him. He isn't a great passer at all and Chelsea could no doubt use better, I also have no doubt it will happen, only having Romeu and Mikel for that role is laughable.

And yeah, Luiz is buying a ball playing defender. Gotta be pretty thick to think otherwise, even if you think he makes too many mistakes.
Yeah keeping possesion was probably the wrong word, didn´t mean that he was weak on the ball, rather keeping it in the team with passes and let the great trio upfront do the magic.

No, you're correct, that's what he does. But he was purchased for and is supposed to be a ball playing CB.
Oh yeah that explains it then ;)

BFTGT Blog ‏@BFTGT
Materazzi: "Mourinho was number one. When told me that he was leaving I said to him: 'Damn you for leaving me with Benitez.'"

Amazing.
I've seen the interview, he really really hates benitez. The first day he arrived here he removed every image of us lifting various cups(even personal stuff), and then said to the players that they were "finished" and old....
Yeah, Materazzi was completely gay for Mourinho. It's no secret.
Materazzi said that even if Mourinho didn't let him play that much at least he was honest with him, Benitez was a just a cunt.

Top Bottom