• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football |OT8| Gambling

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I can't watch American Football the amounts of interruptions drive me insane. I don't really care for the nuances of the sport simply because the interruptions the actual matches have are an impenetrable barrier for me.

Salazar

I see what your saying. Agree with getting in new blood. Hopefully this Strootman thing comes through.

https://twitter.com/Bob_Cass

6TeHU.gif

pulga

Banned
Finally bought a 360 version of FIFA 13 on Amazon for 25$, for the sole purpose of kicking you guys' ass. Come at me bros.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Honest question, does Colombia have any non-terrible defenders?

Carlos Valdes that plays for D.C. United is pretty good, and young.

Does Russia have players that can score goals or just Kerzhakov?

---lol Wilbury was right about that G-Fex dude. Shit what a psycho. He just said people should stand up and try to get Black Friday banned.

LOL

Black Friday is fun. Maybe he is Luis Suarez?

elsk

Banned
Carlos Valdes that plays for D.C. United is pretty good, and young.

---lol Wilbury was right about that G-Fex dude. Shit what a psycho. He just said people should stand up and try to get Black Friday banned.

LOL

Black Friday is fun. Maybe he is Luis Suarez?

viernes negrito

dc89

BBC Sport football 'expert' Mark Lawrenson is predicting a 1-0 win to Chelsea at the weekend. Interesting.

---

BAcAI.png
MXsvp.png

tempting...

Alien thins is £26.50.... I think I'll leave it. But its a nice box set no doubt about it.

Mumei

Why am I so awful at picking games to watch? :(

I just tried to watch Ajax - Borussia and decided it probably wasn't worth it around the time it got to 0 - 3. I just started Madrid at City. Hopefully this is better!

dc89

Why am I so awful at picking games to watch? :(

I just tried to watch Ajax - Borussia and decided it probably wasn't worth it around the time it got to 0 - 3. I just started Madrid at City. Hopefully this is better!

It was quite an entertaining game. City rode their luck, let's put it that way. Mourinho was very funny to watch on the touchline.

Feel sorry for Shelvey and the few others who seemed to appreciate the fact that the Europa League was where the majority of their playing time would come from

Season very nearly over already. Fuck this.

BLUE IS THE COLOUR

players that can score goals or just Kerzhakov?

score goals...Kerzhakov

lolololol you're funny

You also forget

Pavlyuchenko.jpg

On a serious note though I have high hopes for Kokorin from Dinamo Moscow. Hear he has a release clause of only 15 million. Get it done based Gazprom!

Clegg

I don't even understand what he was trying to do? He ran straight into him.

I don't know what he was trying to do either.

I assume the plan was for him to run through the middle and make yards. But when the path didn't open he froze and ran through the middle anyway.

I'm in full on transfer muppet mode. Fenerbahce apparently interested in Kerzhakov for 14 fucking million! Toss in Bruno Alves and we got ourselves a deal!

Mastadon

Banned
Long, but awesome.

Few managers are as misunderstood as Rafael Benítez. Chelsea fans groan at the thought of their new manager. Not even a day into the job and a supporter turns up at the Cobham training facility with a “Rafa Out” sign.
Few figures in football are as divisive as the Spaniard. It is not just supporters. A high-ranking executive at a Barclays Premier League club once asked: “Tell me about Benítez. He’s mad? He’s a bad man, right?”
Emphatically wrong. When the pair met, the man in the boardroom was charmed as well as impressed by the former Liverpool manager’s football knowledge.
Benítez’s personality is very different to the image conjured by “Rafa’s Rant” and the negative headlines that have dogged him since his arrival in England. Part of the problem is self-inflicted. Benítez has never made much effort to court the press. His enemies at Anfield did.
The language barrier did not help. After arriving from Valencia, Benítez was uncomfortable being interviewed in English, despite having a fine grasp of the language. It showed. The warm, mischievous side of his character rarely broke cover.
One surprise is the 52-year-old’s enthusiasm. He can get as excited about football as any fan. An idle comment at a social gathering will cause him to hijack the moment for a masterclass in zonal marking. He does it with a self-mocking wit that leaves the entire company feeling like they’ve experienced something way beyond small talk.
A question about tactics can spark a bout of excited animation. In his office at Liverpool, we discussed how to beat Manchester United by putting pressure on their defence. Within seconds, the focused, analytical man behind the desk became like a child. He jumped up, grabbed a ball.
“Right, I’m Torres, you’re Vidic,” he said and started to dribble. “Why do I have to be Vidic?” The theatrical sullenness of the response stopped the flow for a moment before he guffawed with laughter. It’s hard to imagine too many managers playing one-a-side round-the-office matches like this.
Accounts of his frosty relationship with the press do not tell the whole story, either. One reporter, a regular and friendly face at Anfield, had not passed his driving test. At a press conference, the writer noticed Benítez put two pound coins next to his tape recorder. At the end, the press man picked up his tape and Benítez motioned to the cash. “Don’t forget your bus fare,” he said, causing general hilarity. The red-faced reporter booked driving lessons immediately.
As with most football people, he has a sharp eye for a gag but the wit is not cruel. In a restaurant once, I made the gesture of attempting to pay for the meal. I’d made the mistake of keeping credit cards in a vinyl travel-card holder. At the sight of it, Benítez stopped the waiter and addressed the nearby tables, whose occupants had been subtly eavesdropping his conversation. “Look,” he said, “he is trying to shame me. How could I let a man with a plastic wallet pay!”
It was an inclusive, gentle gag that allowed the autograph hunters to approach without embarrassment. It also underlines one of his philosophies: the wealthiest man at the table should pay.
When relaxed, the new Chelsea manager is a fine raconteur. His tales of youthful national service in Spain and the lengths he went to in escaping the army barracks to play football would not be out of place in Sgt Bilko.
He can be single-minded. His family will stay in the North West while he takes a place in London and when he said the benefit is that this would allow him to work harder, he meant it. His obsessive nature can be infuriating at times. No “Hello, how are you?” for a greeting. Rather, “I must show you my goalkeeping stats.” But Benítez is engagingly loopy and fun to be around. And a very good football manager. That much is easy enough to understand.

Top Bottom