• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football |OT8| Gambling

GolazoDan

I remember when Karl Pilkington confused Left Eye Lopes with Jennifer Lopez and thought J-Lo had lost an eye. Not sure if this discussion occurred before or after Left Eye died, :(

bud

i'm not sure what i want from the chelsea vs. city game

on the one hand, i want benitez to fall flat on his face, but on the other hand, i also want city to burn

why can't they just both lose

GolazoDan

I think a Chelsea win is PROBABLY alright. It's a loss for City, Chelsea have dropped a few points already, let's balance things out. I'm never confident predicting a Chelsea win when three of their four regular central defenders are capable of doing something completely insane though.

DSN2K

dear lord

owen640.jpg

K1LLER7

Chelsea beware: Pep Guardiola the perfectionist holds all the cards
The former Barcelona manager would get guarantees denied others at Stamford Bridge but would he really fit there? http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/nov/24/chelsea-pep-guardiola-perfectionist

after reading this, i really can't see pep joining chelsea
United will be perfect for him.

He'll have alot of pressure which he'll have to deal with. He'll be able to build his own team from whatever Fergie leaves behind. He'll probably have the time as long as he gets United in the top 4. He could implement a new style of play if he wishes.

I'm expecting a big change when Ferguson decides to call it time as manager.

GorillaJu

Damn I just watched the GTA5 trailers. How am I even excited at all for this after feeling so let down by GTA4?

Ah well. It looks amazing, as usual. No one can recreate an American city like Rockstar.

Chelsea beware: Pep Guardiola the perfectionist holds all the cards
The former Barcelona manager would get guarantees denied others at Stamford Bridge but would he really fit there? http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/nov/24/chelsea-pep-guardiola-perfectionist

after reading this, i really can't see pep joining chelsea

Yup, I agree. Chelsea are not the right type of club for Pep. I could see him going to Utd actually, it would be a great challenge for him to replicate what Fergie has done, and he'll be able to buy a central midfielder or two ;)

Also, I imagine Froggie already has a successor in mind.

Salazar

We're running a buy one, get one free offer at the moment

Keep me posted.

It just does my fucking head in.

“I’ve got bags of pace but I struggle to beat defenders because I’m not great at dribbling. Any tips for how I can come out on top in a one-on-one?”
Will Morgan, via Twitter

Ashley Young

“You have to have the belief and desire to want to beat the player you’re up against. As soon as I get the ball I’m looking to attack the defender any way I can.

It happens in a split second: make the decision to run at the defender before the ball has come to you.

It’s a nightmare for a defender when he sees an attacker at the top of his game, who’s confident and wants to run at him every time he’s got the ball.

Then the most important thing is a having a good first touch. Once you’ve received the ball, it’s about getting your head up.

You don’t want to kill the ball dead because that gives the defender more time to set himself for your attack.

Your first touch needs to take the ball forward and away from the defender. If you can use one touch to get the ball in behind him, great. Or you can take the ball down the line and try and beat him with pace and power.

If he stands off you, use trickery to get past him. It all comes down to your decision-making – and as long as you have options in your head, defenders will be forced to defend on the back foot.

When a defender tries to get tight, keep running at them because they will end up backing off and that gives you the chance to put the ball in the box.

You’re always going to face different opponents throughout the season, so try to work out their weaknesses as soon as possible… and expose them.”

All these Pep articles are annoying me. I have to ask myself why Guardiola is touted for every managerial position amongst the biggest clubs in Europe, and I quickly realise it is because of his association with Barcelona. But it is equally obvious, yet curiously underwritten, that he inherited every characteristic of that association; the world-class players, the culture and style of play.

Let's not forget that Barcelona were considered the best club side by many even before Guardiola took control. And, perhaps unsurprisingly yet worthy of note, his own replacement - Villanova - is guiding the Catalan club to their best ever start in the Spanish league. Were they to win La Liga, surely a certainty now, and the Champions League, would Villanova - a man with little known accomplishments in contrast - be measured in the same breadth?

What exactly is the distinguishing allure of Pep Guardiola? More to the point, what can a man whose only managerial experience be selecting the likes of Messi, Xavi and Iniesta to start games, be expected to accomplish with a side which in contrast would be quite ordinary?

Not one author has attempted to address this obvious glare despite the fact that it should be the first issue discussed. Or is Pep the only [relatively] young and upcoming coach in the modern game?

LegoArmo

Sometimes I feel like just the name of the manager is enough to have an effect. So Pep doesn't have to be everything people describe him as, as long as the players also see him as that. If that makes any sense at all.

Messi

All these Pep articles are annoying me. I have to ask myself why Guardiola is touted for every managerial position amongst the biggest clubs in Europe, and I quickly realise it is because of his association with Barcelona. But it is equally obvious, yet curiously underwritten, that he inherited every characteristic of that association; the world-class players, the culture and style of play.

Let's not forget that Barcelona were considered the best club side by many even before Guardiola took control. And, perhaps unsurprisingly yet worthy of note, his own replacement - Villanova - is guiding the Catalan club to their best ever start in the Spanish league. Were they to win La Liga, surely a certainty now, and the Champions League, would Villanova - a man with little known accomplishments in contrast - be measured in the same breadth?

What exactly is the distinguishing allure of Pep Guardiola? More to the point, what can a man whose only managerial experience be selecting the likes of Messi, Xavi and Iniesta to start games, be expected to accomplish with a side which in contrast would be quite ordinary?

Not one author has attempted to address this obvious glare despite the fact that it should be the first issue discussed. Or is Pep the only [relatively] young and upcoming coach in the modern game?

If Tito can do the same or better over the next 3 years I don't see why not. People made it sound like Pep did nothing for Barca while he was there. Like he was just there because a team needs a manager.

GolazoDan

If Villanova wins the title he'll have done it with Guardiola's team. Guardiola's team, at its peak, is/was not the same as the one he inherited. He shifted some big players (Ronaldinho, Deco, eventually Eto'o although that deal was appalling), promoted others from his youth team days (Busquets) and turned them into integral members of the squad, signed others (Pique, Alves, Keita), turned Messi into the focal point of the team. Villanova would have to mix things up a bit, put his own mark on things, to get the same praise.

There is a point that he's the go to guy for managerial rumours now and it's a bit annoying. The media.

jtb

Banned

Rijkaard's team won fuck all in 07-08. Pep's team won just about everything between 08-09 (and quite a bit more after that). The players (the Catalans, at least) fucking worship the guy. It's a bit much to simply imply he's the next Avram Grant.

Anyways, all the teams that are courting him (Milan :lol, aside) are starting with pretty great squads. Obviously there are reservations (and I disagree that people gloss over them... I think everyone's quite aware of them), but in terms of available managers (read: not SAF or Wenger, and even Wenger wouldn't be in demand because of his winning abilities anymore), no one other than Mou boasts that kind of resume. Inherit the greatest team ever or not.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul

you're just mad that he managed beat arsenal twice to advance in the CL.

Lightning

Banned
My, my, my. Arsene was quite feisty in his post-match interview with a few of the journalists. One of them brought up the chants "you dont know what you're doing"

The flashpoint was when they asked, on behalf of the fans, for an explanation as to his subs (Giroud in particular) today. Good question

http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,,18305_8279220,00.html
Wenger has too much power at Arsenal. That one can't even ask a question of him is bullshit. I know he explained the Giroud sub as fatigue but it was a crap decision and he deserves to be called on it. He should not be allowed to speak to the media that way when they are only asking the same questions that the fans themselves are asking.

The fact that he thinks he can do no wrong is just a joke imo. I am not saying I know how to manage better than Wenger but I didn't like his subs today and Arshavin should have been introduced earlier and played in the freakin center. We needed a goal and he brings on Coq? Fuck.

jtb

Banned
you're just mad that he managed beat arsenal twice to advance in the CL.

Don't forget the 06 CL final too :(

Wenger has too much power at Arsenal. That one can't even ask a question of him is bullshit. I know he explained the Giroud sub as fatigue but it was a crap decision and he deserves to be called on it. He should not be allowed to speak to the media that way when they are only asking the same questions that the fans themselves are asking.

The fact that he thinks he can do no wrong is just a joke imo. I am not saying I know how to manage better than Wenger but I didn't like his subs today and Arshavin should have been introduced earlier and played in the freakin center. We needed a goal and he brings on Coq? Fuck.

That was a total dick move on his part (don't get me wrong, media's full of shit but still). I don't know if he's got too much power, but he's definitely way too comfortable. His mentality is that 4th is good enough and that's completely seeped into the team as a result. He can blame oil money, and the players (the good ones anyways) can put in a half-decent shift now and know they'll get a payday at a winning club down the line. At least before you'd have the team cracking under pressure; now, there's not even any pressure to crack under.

Lightning

Banned
That was a total dick move on his part (don't get me wrong, media's full of shit but still). I don't know if he's got too much power, but he's definitely way too comfortable. His mentality is that 4th is good enough and that's completely seeped into the team as a result. He can blame oil money, and the players (the good ones anyways) can put in a half-decent shift now and know they'll get a payday at a winning club down the line. At least before you'd have the team cracking under pressure; now, there's not even any pressure to crack under.
He does have too much power. You really think Gazidis, Kroneke or Hil-Wood are going to call Wenger to account? Not a fucking chance. Gazidis basically confirmed in the press release on our new sponsorship deal that Wenger alone decides if we invest in the squad and who's invested in.

I love Wenger, really I do but several players and such have all reported that he cannot be told anything and he doesn't seem to learn from mistakes. 4th spot comfort zone is an achievement but it's becoming a burden as we should be aiming higher and despite the fact that the club as a whole say we are they are not showing it. Wenger should not be allowed to speak that way given the prices our fans play to support the team.

I mean lets be honest here. What are our fans paying the highest prices in the EPL for? Trophies? nope. See world class players? Nope. See entertaining football? Not this season or most of last season. What the hell is the extra cost for? Wenger tax? And to top it off according to Wenger we shouldn't question decisions? He can get fucked with that.

Whilst I have no intent to try and disparage Pep, I cannot see his role at Barcelona's success being anything more than association because, unlike Wenger or Ferguson for example, he didn't bring a revolution into the running of the club/team. The biggest thing I credit him with was the decision to play Messi in the middle in favour of Eto'o.

That being said, I simply cannot equate him, or any other manager, to Barca's success on the pitch; the team picks itself. Admittedly such a team would require man management skills, but that on its own cant be expected to reproduce similar success on the pitch when you're not working with the best set of players.

Messi

Whilst I have no intent to try and disparage Pep, I cannot see his role at Barcelona's success being anything more than association because, unlike Wenger or Ferguson for example, he didn't bring a revolution into the running of the club/team. The biggest thing I credit him with was the decision to play Messi in the middle in favour of Eto'o.

That being said, I simply cannot equate him, or any other manager, to Barca's success on the pitch; the team picks itself. Admittedly such a team would require man management skills, but that on its own cant be expected to reproduce similar success on the pitch when you're not working with the best set of players.

He also was a big part in bringing young players through the ranks (22 to be exact). He even brought Sergio Busquets into the B team and then brought him up to the first team with him. Same with Thiago.

He does have too much power. You really think Gazidis, Kroneke or Hil-Wood are going to call Wenger to account? Not a fucking chance. Gazidis basically confirmed in the press release on our new sponsorship deal that Wenger alone decides if we invest in the squad and who's invested in.

I love Wenger, really I do but several players and such have all reported that he cannot be told anything and he doesn't seem to learn from mistakes. 4th spot comfort zone is an achievement but it's becoming a burden as we should be aiming higher and despite the fact that the club as a whole say we are they are not showing it. Wenger should not be allowed to speak that way given the prices our fans play to support the team.

I mean lets be honest here. What are our fans paying the highest prices in the EPL for? Trophies? nope. See world class players? Nope. See entertaining football? Not this season or most of last season. What the hell is the extra cost for? Wenger tax? And to top it off according to Wenger we shouldn't question decisions? He can get fucked with that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the vast majority of times Arshavin has contributed anything to a game has been from a central midfield position where he is facing the goalie. He is a playmaker, yet Wenger has consistently played him out wide effectively neutering his talents. Two years ago, whenever we were trailing, he would bring on Eduardo and Bendtner alongside van Persie. Yet instead of changing the formation to accomodate the three strikers, he would instead opt to play Bendtner and Eduardo on the wing.

If the decisions he's made were debatable, then I could understand. But they aren't. They make no sense whatsoever. It reminded me of the example when he took off Chamberlain against United last year, and despite the lad being arguably the brightest spark on the pitch and our greatest threat, he rationalised it as "fatigue". Yet a few days later referred to "tactical mistakes" he made during the game. When asked if it was related to that substitution, he refused to go into it.

I haven't even mentioned how late his subs are anyway. You couldn't pay me enough to try and rationalise his tactics

He also was a big part in bringing young players through the ranks (22 to be exact). He even brought Sergio Busquets into the B team and then brought him up to the first team with him. Same with Thiago.

True, but he didn't develop them himself. They are products of the youth academy. His hand in all of this was promoting them. The question is, would another manager have been able to spot their talents and do the same? We'll never know, but when we're dealing with the question of players who were developing/developed at Barca before he took control, I see little relevance. If he signed Xavi, Iniesta and Messi from other clubs then that would be different

AndresON777

shooting blanks
I love how you are assuming we will steamroll Levante. They wont be easy. The last two games against Levante away were 2-1 and 1-1. They are also playing quite well and play an agressive style that sometimes barca struggle with.

lol enjoy our dominance
hestonlaugh.gif

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
_60884283_tito_vilanova_getty.jpg

"All according to keikaku"

first in league
first in the group of CL

:bow

I had some reservations after that sorry display in the second leg of the supercopa, but Tito proved me wrong. Best posible coach for us after Guardiola.

Top Bottom