• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT10| Silence of the Lambda

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Suarez already complains people kick him too much

Gl at the tail end of the season with the WC looming :p

Kassu

Banned
Fuck that Destiny release date. I can't play it at all for a while after the release because my military service begins in July and it takes six months at minimum. I'll probably miss Uncharted 4 as well if it releases next year..

So who you rooting for this WC, you bandwagoning Canadian?

6TkDNVh.jpg

wedward

Hope Sagna is fit for the City game. Really want us to rest a couple of players against Napoli. Wish Ozil and Ramsey could get a rest. Play Wilshere, Cazorla and Walcott instead.

Fingers crossed on Sagna.

I don't think any players will be rested for Napoli, but with more players coming back, we have more options

For the two center mid roles we have Ramsey, Jack, Arteta and Flamini.

Left wing we can play Santi, Rosicky, Jack. Right wing Theo, Gnarby, Jack, Ramsey.

I think we will see players rotated for Everton, Napoli and City.

For Chelsea we have enough time to recover that we can field our best 11.

Batigol

Banned
Don't know what I'm gonna do for the World Cup. Can't really cheer for any national team that's not Ireland.

Might just shit in the French at every opportunity.

You support the team that has the hottest fans. That's what I do

RIP Sweden :(

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I'm not saying he doesn't deserve a high wage. But a reported £8m is still far too much.

Still not as bad as Lippi's £9m a year for pissing around in China though.

Lippi won them everything and now they're in the Club World Cup -_-

wedward

I'm not saying he doesn't deserve a high wage. But a reported £8m is still far too much.

Still not as bad as Lippi's £9m a year for pissing around in China though.

What do you think would be appropriate. Looks like he is currently on 7.5 and Fergie was on 7.6.

Clegg

What do you think would be appropriate. Looks like he is currently on 7.5 and Fergie was on 7.6.
I suppose he was worth that to amount to Arsenal. But from an outsider's perspective he hasn't achieved anything in the last 8 years, but all the while he's been earning millions for scraping the bare minimum.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Suarez is gonna destroy England, I see a handball goal coming from Suarez just to shit on FA's mouth.

wedward

I suppose he was worth that to amount to Arsenal. But from an outsider's perspective he hasn't achieved anything in the last 8 years, but all the while he's been earning millions for scraping the bare minimum.

You should know better than anyone how difficult it is to stay in the top 4 when you restricted from spending what is required to improve the squad.

Clegg

You should know better than anyone how difficult it is to stay in the top 4 when you are limited in your ability to invest in the squad.
Moyes was a clear downgrade in manager from Ferguson. Sure, poor investment is a part of it, but he hasn't responded well the the challenge of managing a big club. His tactics are too obvious and his wont to defend a lead rather than push on is infuriating.

Wenger is of the managerial elite. He should have done better. I accept that he found himself constrained by the financial circumstances at Arsenal, but it's not like he had poor teams over the last eight years. Some of those Arsenal squads were as good as any in the league.

wedward

Moyes was a clear downgrade in manager from Ferguson. Sure, poor investment is a part of it, but he hasn't responded well the the challenge of managing a big club. His tactics are too obvious and his wont to defend a lead rather than push on is infuriating.

Wenger is of the managerial elite. He should have done better. I accept that he found himself constrained by the financial circumstances at Arsenal, but it's not like he had poor teams over the last eight years. Some of those Arsenal squads were as good as any in the league.

Starting 11 maybe, but Arsenal haven't had the depth that United, City and Chelsea have had. He is partly to blame for that(gervhino, squilacci, djorou), but when you can't match the spending you have to take gambles.

Salazar

I am inclined to suppose that the very fine (maybe problematically fine) statistical sieve through which potential Moyes signings have to pass is being applied, in some sense, to the current squad.

The fact that almost none of Valencia's crosses find a player can hardly pass unnoticed. The way that he probably needs to check his teamsheet mid-game to see if Cleverley started is a hint. And Welbeck, surely, can't forge a career as a top level forward who doesn't score goals.

Barzul

Arsenal is looking really good. If we get no new injuries on Sunday. We'll have only Oxlade-Chamberlain from our main squad injured when we face City.

Clegg

I am inclined to suppose that the very fine (maybe problematically fine) statistical sieve through which potential Moyes signings have to pass is being applied, in some sense, to the current squad.

The fact that almost none of Valencia's crosses find a player can hardly pass unnoticed. The way that he probably needs to check his teamsheet mid-game to see if Cleverley started is a hint. And Welbeck, surely, can't forge a career as a top level forward who doesn't score goals.
Don't get me wrong, he's definitely been left with a squad that is defcient in some areas. We've got some very promising young defenders but apart from Adnan we've no young attacking players knocking on the door. And God only knows what's happening with Zaha. And the less said about midfield the better.

But with all that being said, this is still the squad which won the league last season. He should be getting more out of it. And if he wants tho change things ten he better be prepared to go though a lot of hastle in Jan for the players he wants.

Salazar

We've got some very promising young defenders but apart from Adnan we've no young attacking players knocking on the door.

Gohan will knock on the door when he returns. And yeah, Wilf is probably not being helped by the fact that we've got ourselves into a "FUUUUUUCK, CAN'T LOSE ANY MORE GAAMES" predicament.

I don't think he'd have a transformative effect against decent sides. But he is fast, physically strong, can hold the ball, tries to get the ball over, and can beat a player. That's not a downgrade on Valencia in any respect. Because I don't accept that Valencia is a better-than-negligible defensive option. If Rafael is fit again, we should gamble on that wing.

valeo

Aside from a couple of missed opportunities (i.e. Brum and the cup) I think we've done alright. Any Arsenal fan with a brain knew that moving to the Emirates would result in some short term pain for long term gain. It's had the extra bonus of getting rid of the bandwagoners.

We're now one of the best run clubs on the planet with a really bright future free of tainted oil money.

Gohan will knock on the door when he returns. And yeah, Wilf is probably not being helped by the fact that we've got ourselves into a "FUUUUUUCK, CAN'T LOSE ANY MORE GAAMES" predicament.

I don't think he'd have a transformative effect against decent sides. But he is fast, physically strong, can hold the ball, tries to get the ball over, and can beat a player. That's not a downgrade on Valencia in any respect. Because I don't accept that Valencia is a better-than-negligible defensive option. If Rafael is fit again, we should gamble on that wing.

As much as I don't like Zaha, he should be getting some minutes. He can beat players and put in a good cross/final pass. The reason why I don't like Zaha is that his touch is inconsistent, is too flashy at times, and is really selfish. He tries to do everything himself and it ends up screwing what good he did create.

It may be frustrating, but right now we need actual attackers. Valencia isn't providing anything through his predictable and conservative approach. Welbeck is even more conservative than Valencia despite being two footed, possessing technique, and great hold up play. He doesn't cross, provide a final ball, or even look to create. The best he's doing at the moment is making a great run to meet a great pass where he eventually ends up on the ground. Fans can keep mentioning the fact that he plays out of position, but he's still getting opportunities to effect the game by scoring and he's failing every time. He had a chance to score against Cardiff. He failed. He had a chance to score or provide the final pass to Rooney against Southampton. He failed.

I'm expecting two of Valencia, Nani, and Young to start. If Shinji isn't fit I would like to see Adnan as the number 10, but I think he'll be on the bench.

ip4BRy2Gjmm4G.gif

One thing I'll say is that Januzaj needs to let go of the ball quicker at times. It works when defenders are close as he picks up fouls, but is useless when a defender is about 2 yards away. I've also been disappointed with his passing. His passing is good, but isn't pulling off passes that I know he's capable of. He's been more of a traditional winger, which is fine, but he can do a lot more.

Aside from a couple of missed opportunities (i.e. Brum and the cup) I think we've done alright. Any Arsenal fan with a brain knew that moving to the Emirates would result in some short term pain for long term gain. It's had the extra bonus of getting rid of the bandwagoners.

We're now one of the best run clubs on the planet with a really bright future free of tainted oil money.

Except for the 30% or so of Arsenal that Usmanov owns. Possibly the most tainted oil money on the planet.

Scum

Here you go, ManUtd Bros.

--------------- RvP/Hernandez -------------
Adnan ---- Kagawa/Rooney ---- Zaha

Salazar

Here you go, ManUtd Bros.

--------------- RvP/Hernandez -------------
Adnan ---- Kagawa/Rooney ---- Zaha

Yes.

------------------Gohan
Adnan-------Kagawa---------Zaha
-------Powell-------Herrera